Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Eligible Spend - how is it calculated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond

Does anyone know how the "Eligible Spend" is calculated? (You can find this figure under the "Gold Passport Summary" on the lower left of your bill.

Sometimes it's as simple as the base room rate (not including taxes/fees), other times it seems it's a percentage or combination of room rate plus any incidentals such as dining or spa services. HGP Points earned is a multiple of this number.

Also - what is the "Redemption Eligible" figure used for and how is that determined?
Attached Images  
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:49 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
My understanding is any charge to the room, except taxes, and without 3rd party providers (e.g. Gift Shop charges to the room, Valet Parking if operated by another company, etc)
Did not find a clear description in the T&C's though.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have actually always wondered about that section myself.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
At many, if not most, properties, alcohol charges are excluded.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
At many, if not most, properties, alcohol charges are excluded.
All.

"Hyatt Gold Passport points will not be awarded on alcoholic beverage"
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:08 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by austin_modern
All.

I am pretty sure, that this is not true at many international Hyatts.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by austin_modern
All.

You didn't quote the full terms: "Hyatt Gold Passport points will not be awarded on alcoholic beverage purchases in certain jurisdictions/countries."

Many properties do award points and would be foolish not to do so unless prohibited by law, as it would affect their bottom line.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sensei
You didn't quote the full terms: "Hyatt Gold Passport points will not be awarded on alcoholic beverage purchases in certain jurisdictions/countries."

Many properties do award points and would be foolish not to do so unless prohibited by law, as it would affect their bottom line.
There are about four states in the USA where this is prohibited by law. Otherwise, it's a hassle for the hotel to go through itemized restaurant and room service receipts to find the charges for alcohol.

Spa services are also often done through a third party provider.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:02 am

I've been pondering on this myself in recent weeks.

GH Bangkok awards points on the 10% service charge on room rates but GH Tokyo doesn't.

Today I've had interesting discoveries at the Bakery at GH Bangkok. Keen to top up my points to achieve a certain threshold, some items of pastry award points whereas others do not. And at times the eligible spend is zero when charged to the room, whereas the full bill earns full points when it is paid there and then as part of "hotel dining". Very confusing.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:56 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I've been pondering on this myself in recent weeks.

GH Bangkok awards points on the 10% service charge on room rates but GH Tokyo doesn't.

Today I've had interesting discoveries at the Bakery at GH Bangkok. Keen to top up my points to achieve a certain threshold, some items of pastry award points whereas others do not. And at times the eligible spend is zero when charged to the room, whereas the full bill earns full points when it is paid there and then as part of "hotel dining". Very confusing.
I think it's how detailed the employee wants to break down the room charge. Fo example, room charges for restaurant is eligible for the F&B part (excluding alcohol in certain places) but taxes and tips are not eligible; however, the entire charge is often lumped into one and the whole charge becomes eligible.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
it's a hassle for the hotel to go through itemized restaurant and room service receipts to find the charges for alcohol.
POS terminals capable of handling this with ease have been around for at least 30 years. I don't know of any hotel that does not use them now.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
I too have often wondered this.

Not too sure what the method to the madness is. For me it's complicated because most of my stays are outside the US, hence FX also plays a part, and the rates Hyatt use seem to be different than the daily spot rate.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I have to check this number after each stay as I have been having issues with the correct number of points posting if I stay at a hotel with a Diamond breakfast benefit that I use. I have a hard time believing that this is just happening to me but if I use the Diamond breakfast benefit (charges are put towards my room and then adjusted off), the number there is always $1-2 lower than actual per night.

No one else is seeing this issue? Has been happening to me for 2 years and I have to get Hyatt to manually correct after each stay.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ronbo83
... if I use the Diamond breakfast benefit (charges are put towards my room and then adjusted off), the number there is always $1-2 lower than actual per night.

No one else is seeing this issue? Has been happening to me for 2 years and I have to get Hyatt to manually correct after each stay.

You contact Hyatt to correct point shortages on $1?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by JackE
You contact Hyatt to correct point shortages on $1?
At 75 nights per year, over multiple years, yes. The point for me is not the dollar amount, it is that it is consistently wrong on each stay and could be affecting others as well. This is Flyertalk so of course any variance would be important!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.