Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Eligible Spend - how is it calculated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eligible Spend - how is it calculated?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:09 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by JackE
You contact Hyatt to correct point shortages on $1?

HA! +1^

bothering for 75 x 1$ per year - not worth the effort. I am missing 1500 points from AVIS (3 rentals). Complained once with Avis, still not posted after 5 weeks.

I am NOT going to follow up on that. Wasting 15 minutes on a phone again is probably more expensive than the 1500 points I'd get :-)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
After a few odd point totals, I now watch this very closely when I check out, and I am certain, based on my stays, that individual properties calculate eligible spending differently, even though that shouldn't happen. My receipts from various HPs confirm this.

I don't have the receipt with me, but I had a stay last month that was almost comical. The eligible spending was some odd fractional number, like 218.97465. I tried every addition possible, including the tax, excluding the food spending, etc., and I could never get their number. I e'mailed the asst. manager but got no response. Since the staff had been really, really nice to me during my stay, and it was only a few HGP points I was losing, I decided not to make an issue of it.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
I've been casually trying to determine any pattern in the eligible spend discrepancies and while still pretty random, I've noticed a couple of things.

First is that the folio you are presented with on checkout is often NOT what will be reflected as the final in the system (from a points perspective). So if you think (reasonably) you're good after you check your bill on checkout, think again because the eligible spend often changes if any adjustments have been made.

Second, if you're Diamond and take advantage of the breakfast benefit in the restaurant or room service, then there is a better than even chance there will be a billing issue on checkout. Typically any breakfast charges will be removed no questions asked on checkout, but know that this will almost always affect your eligible spend and thus, points accumulation. It's usually not enough to bother making a call over (<100) but shows how off their IT is.

Last edited by gunksny; Jan 1, 2017 at 7:39 am
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Another factor is if the stay is packaged. I had a recent stay come up short, but the stay included "free" parking. My guess is the internal accounting split the room rate into two parts. The part for parking was unknown and generated no points.

Personally, I'd pay for parking a LOT more often if it generated points.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
gunksny - I have had the same issue with Diamond breakfasts reducing eligible spend.

I am fairly sure I am short a few thousand points at least, but having most of my stays outside the US, there is always the translation back to USD to take into account.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
There are a few notorious properties that seem to always short on points (I'm looking at you highlands). 780 spend on a night and dinner - 450 rate and only awarded points for 280. Seems to always be a challenge to get this corrected.

International properties seem to always award at the conversion rate more or less. Seems like all charges are included typically outside of transport.

I even got points in Mallorca for Cash due to non working atms!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by gunksny
Also - what is the "Redemption Eligible" figure used for and how is that determined?
(I was wondering the same thing myself)
Apparently Hyatt Concierge answered this question in 2014
"Redemption elgible is the amount of the incidental charges that you would be eligible to use points to pay for."
Still not sure exactly what it means, or how it is calculated
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:54 am

Had brunch at GHE with friends. The no alcohol price was THB 2800++ (about THB 3300 all in with 17.7% tax and service charge).

The receipt says eligible spend: THB 2000.

Any idea why it isn't 2800?

-David
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What a trick that alcohol is not awarded points. Many of the hotel restaurants/bars specifically have World of Hyatt branding and materials there with zero mention they wont credit for points.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:36 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What a trick that alcohol is not awarded points. Many of the hotel restaurants/bars specifically have World of Hyatt branding and materials there with zero mention they wont credit for points.
It's illegal in many some jurisdictions to offer an "incentive" to drink. It's probably easier to have a blanket prohibition than to try to keep track of where it's permissible or not.

Last edited by skj; Mar 5, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skj
It's illegal in many jurisdictions to offer an "incentive" to drink. It's probably easier to have a blanket prohibition than to try to keep track of where it's permissible or not.
In the USA, only several states have laws forbidding the earning of points on alcohol purchases. This was discussed in the old SPG forum and the former Lurker checked on this and listed the applicable states.

There might be a few foreign countries with similar laws, but it's certainly not "many jurisdictions."
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skj
It's illegal in many jurisdictions to offer an "incentive" to drink. It's probably easier to have a blanket prohibition than to try to keep track of where it's permissible or not.
That's fine, but all other hotel programs offer points on bar tabs. Also, World of Hyatt branding should not be in bars if that is the case.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:32 am

Tours and Excusions

Do you know if you book tours and excursions thru hotel and it shows up on bill if it is Eligible spend? Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kimbray
Do you know if you book tours and excursions thru hotel and it shows up on bill if it is Eligible spend? Thanks!
"Qualifying charges" aren't well defined by Hyatt. I would suggest contacting the specific property you're looking at to ask this directly (via email, so you have it in writing) as the approach may vary from one property to another. It may also vary based on whether the tours and excursions are operated by the hotel or through a 3rd party, etc.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:52 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Looking at my recent hyatt hotel bills, eligible stay included anything charged directly to the hotel folio, with the exception of taxes/fees/gratuities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.