Wiki Posts
Search

Cologne or Dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
Cologne or Dusseldorf

Can stay either since Cologne is about 20 mins by train from DUS.

Have Diamond status and likely to use a DSU to stay for 3 nights.

Which property is better? DUS seems a bit more expensive for the dates I'm intending to be there.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:17 am

I have stayed at Koln and its a nice property. It is on the other side of river and a Dome view room would be nice.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:30 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
IMHO DUS is the nicer hotel, in Köln you really notice that it is way over 20 years old.

The only advantage of Köln is the pool (which is not really nice so).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:43 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
The Cologne Hotel is great. Since you're a Diamond... the Regency Club is really good. Great selection for breakfast and wide variety in the evenings.
Have not stayed at the DUS location, so can't compare, but my wife and I have already been 4 times in CGN and love the hotel.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I like Koln better than Dusseldorf (both the city and the hotel)..... I had problems with temperature control at both locations, but at least in Koln the widows open.....
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I like Koln better than Dusseldorf (both the city and the hotel)..... I had problems with temperature control at both locations, but at least in Koln the widows open.....
We had heating problems at DUS, the room never got warm there a couple of times, but never AC problems, which we have at Köln every often - so YMMV.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dusseldorf is the nicer hotel. Should really be a Grand.

Cologne is older but service is still quite good. As mentioned, the views can be impressive.

Can't comment on suites in either place.

However, for anything other than shopping Cologne is a much nicer city in which to spend a couple of days. The HR DUS is also located somewhat inconveniently for the city centre. I suppose you could stay in DUS but then take the train to Cologne for the day. But then why not just stay in Cologne?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by peter42
IMHO DUS is the nicer hotel, in Köln you really notice that it is way over 20 years old.

+ 1 !

DUS is much more "Hyatt like" whereas CGN is more like an old soviet hotel...
And also DUS is much nicer than CGN
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:22 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by peter42

Are you sure? If you are in search for a central location the Hyatt Cologne is really fine.

Easy access to public transportation, sights as well as jogging opportunities along the Rhine. For a Diamond (or the club room guests) the cathedral view from the Regency Club is unbeatable.

Cologne/Deutz to Steinstraße/Königsallee in Düsseldorf is approx. 28 minutes (according to bahn.de) ^

Düsseldorf Speditionsstraße to Steinstraße/Königsallee is approx. 24 minutes.

BTW the address of "Düsseldorf, Speditionsstraße" really doesn't sound like an upscale real estate.

That said I always would prefer Cologne except when there is a fair with a price uphike.

Last edited by gum; Jun 3, 2016 at 7:51 am
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
I stayed at both several timesI much more prefer Cologne.

The HR Cologne has for me a good Diamond recognition, there is a nice spa and a good club lounge (with nice staff and good food). ok, the hotel is a bit older but.. it's very well maintained. Had some nights there under EUR 100 (with a BRG), normally between EUR 125 and EUR 150. Twin rooms have actually 140cm beds, so good for families. DSU gives you a large suite with a free minibar including chocolates/nuts and enough liquor, sometimes the give you a suite facing the river with views of the bridge. Cross the bridge and you are in the centre.

The HR Dusseldorf is outside the centre, you need a cab or car to go to the city centre. Nice rooms, but a small club lounge which is (at least on weekdays) very busy and it's was hard to find a seat. No pool. Difficult to place a rollaway bed on the room, not really a family place to stay.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
Funnily enough Cologne appears cheaper - 119 euros on Hyatt.com. DUS is double (although with BRG it comes down to about 137).
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by gum
Are you sure? If you are in search for a central location the Hyatt Cologne is really fine.

Easy access to public transportation, sights as well as jogging opportunities along the Rhine. For a Diamond (or the club room guests) the cathedral view from the Regency Club is unbeatable.

Cologne/Deutz to Steinstraße/Königsallee in Düsseldorf is approx. 28 minutes (according to bahn.de) ^

Düsseldorf Speditionsstraße to Steinstraße/Königsallee is approx. 24 minutes.

BTW the address of "Düsseldorf, Speditionsstraße" really doesn't sound like an upscale real estate.

That said I always would prefer Cologne except when there is a fair with a price uphike.
The area of the DUS Hyatt is nicely refurbished and the old town is a nice 15-20 minute walk away of a couple of stops by tram.

I prefer the club in DUS, about the Kölner Dom, this citation comes to mind:
"Mitten in die zugebaute Innenstadt drängelt sich ein Dom, arrangiert wie von unten durch 'ne Betonplatte geschossen."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.