Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Rio de Janeiro REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Rio de Janeiro REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We're arriving this weekend for our 1st visit to Rio. I understand the hotel location isn't ideal for that, but I'm Diamond right now and unlikely to be again.

Having said that, we do want to see Redeemer and Sugarloaf Mt. Would you recommend taking the metro to Ipanema and then a taxi to those places, or is there a better way? I see that it takes 1 transfer to get to Ipanema (BRT + L4), 2 to Centro (+L1; 1.5hr it says). Is that indeed the best route?

Does anyone know if line 4 is still only operational M-F? On the MetroRio website the "opening hours" of JARDIM OCEÂNICO are:

ACCESS A - Fernando Matos Monday to Saturday: 5am to midnight, Sundays and holidays: 7am to 11pm
ACCESS B - Lagoa Monday to Saturday: 5am to midnight, Sundays and holidays: 7am to 11pm
ACCESS C - BRT STATION Monday to Saturday: 5am to midnight, Sundays and holidays: 7am to 11pm

We arrive Sat morning. I'm wondering if instead of going to hotel first, that we try to store the luggage somewhere and check out some of the sights for the day. Is that feasible? We have 3.5 days in Rio.

Thanks for any tips.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Storing bags somewhere on the morning of arrival sounds difficult and not very secure, so I probably wouldn't do that option. Also, there's a fair amount of walking/steps/etc at Cristo Redentor and the Sugarloaf so you might want to do them on a day where you're fresh, rather than after traveling.

Taking the subway into the city might be a good idea if street traffic is bad. If traffic isn't bad, a taxi/Uber isn't going to break the bank and is probably the most efficient way to get to the sights so you can focus on them rather than the transportation part.

Another thing you could do is email the concierge at the Grand Club in advance and see if there are any tours they could schedule you on that would take you to the sights. You might still have to taxi to meet the tour, but once on the tour you wouldn't have to worry about transport.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks, Katlor.

Has anyone walked from the hotel to the Alvorada Terminal? It looks like a 20min walk on Google Map. Is there a sidewalk?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:46 pm

From what I recall there is a sidewalk (I was stuck in traffic in a car on that bridge over the lagoon and I think people were walking on the sidewalk).
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
Thanks, Katlor.

Has anyone walked from the hotel to the Alvorada Terminal? It looks like a 20min walk on Google Map. Is there a sidewalk?
I have and it's a 15 - 20 minute walk, yes there is a sidewalk. I cut through the neighborhood and took the bridge over the highway.

Line 4 now runs 7 days a week 5 am - midnight M - Sat, and till 11 pm on Sunday.

If you are arriving on Saturday and plan to see the sights during the weekend I would just take a taxi from the hotel. If the taxi takes the route along the coast it's breathtaking. I only took the metro during the week to avoid the traffic, I love the drive into Rio, it's one of the most beautiful drives in the world.

Also lines are going to be long during the weekend at the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf, trying to see both in 1 day is going to be exhausting. I would do 1 each day, go and see the sunset from Pedra do Arpoador, it's Rio at it best!

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Feb 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Checked in here today. Used a DSU and was upgraded from a Grand Suite to an Ocean View Suite. Later in the day further upgraded to a Diplomatic Suite. Quite nice, living area and dining room table for 6. Full kitchen including range with hood, fridge. Really nice marble bathroom with rainshower, bidet, TV. If anyone wants pictures let me know and I'll get some to post in thread.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:27 pm

Yes, would love to see some pictures! Also, how's "later in the day" actually work? You checked in, unpacked all your stuff and then knock on the door?)))
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:37 pm

Just checked rates for this week at the GH Rio and noticed they are now adding a "service charge" of ten percent on top of the room rate (separate from taxes). So it's like a resort fee without being called a resort fee, meaning that Globalists can't have it waived.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Katlor
Just checked rates for this week at the GH Rio and noticed they are now adding a "service charge" of ten percent on top of the room rate (separate from taxes). So it's like a resort fee without being called a resort fee, meaning that Globalists can't have it waived.
I just checked a reservation I made in June of last year and the 10% service charge was shown then, so this is nothing new. It is common in many hotels outside the U.S. and is lieu of tipping.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the Copocabana Palace also has the 10% service charge, as well as its sister hotel inside the park at the Falls.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Can anyone pls comment the Grand Club (recent experiences)? Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by tjae
I sure hope it has improved. I've never seen such a disorganized club and staff (very pleasant but horribly inefficient)- but that was a year ago.
tjae likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by tjae
[Hotel Lounge Review] Grand Hyatt Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Will Run For Miles
tjae likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA
For those who have stayed or are familiar with both this new Hyatt and the Sheraton Grand Rio resort, how do they compare? The Hyatt seems newer and nicer and more modern, but the Sheraton seems to have its own private beach.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
For those who have stayed or are familiar with both this new Hyatt and the Sheraton Grand Rio resort, how do they compare? The Hyatt seems newer and nicer and more modern, but the Sheraton seems to have its own private beach.
The little beach at the Sheraton is not private and is not frequented by the hotel guests. Leblon is a popular beach 5 minutes away by car. The Hyatt provides towels, chairs and umbrellas at the beach, plus the beach is clean.

The Sheraton is 5 minutes away by car from Leblon, a wealthy suburb with shops and restaurants, while the Hyatt is at least 10 minutes away from the mall and even farther away from the tourist attractions. Both hotels are comfortable and have good restaurants and recreational facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.