Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Raleigh North Hills REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold

Am looking for an excellent Hyatt for a 3 night long weekend in Raleigh this August, following which I drop my daughter off at school.

This new property looks like it's in a major shopping area.

Willl appreciate any feedback about the quality of the hotel, what there is to do in the area etc.

So far I note there are seemingly only two room types: Studio King and 1 Bedroom King Suite. So no two queens or two doubles .

And no bathtubs--just showers .

Are there better Hyatt options in the area?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:24 am

I have never stayed at this HH (its always priced higher than the HPs in town), but I do have some experience with Raleigh. The lack of tubs is a standard 'feature' of the HP and HH brands.

There will certainly be more to do around the North Hills location than any other Hyatt in town. Its next to a high end (but small) mall and there are lots of restaurants (at every price point) in the neighborhood. Its much like -very- tiny version of Buckhead (in Atlanta). The other Hyatt options are quite bland, there is a HH in Research Triangle Park, its an incredibly boring location but you might find a bathtub there as its a former Hotel Sierra. There are also 3-4 HPs scattered around in very blah suburban locations.

NC is a great place for HP mattress runs, but a lousy place if you want to actually use the room. The nearest full service Hyatt is Greenville SC.

EDIT: If you want a full service hotel in Raleigh the downtown Marriott is very good (and I normally dislike Marriotts), but it is frequently expensive. The nearby Sharaton (also downtown) is cheaper and (for a US Sharaton) OK, but certainly not as good as the Marriott. The Umstead Hotel in Cary is consistently one of the best hotels in the South if you want to splurge.

Last edited by BobR; Apr 20, 2016 at 10:31 am
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, Marriott
I live in an apartment building next to this HH.

This hotel's pros and cons: It's across a side street from a Harris Teeter grocery store, a variety of restaurants (Piola's is our favorite on this block, followed by Cowfish and/or Yard House). There're more choices across Six Forks in the North Hills Shopping Center plus a movie theater, niche shops, Total Wine, Target, etc. You're very close to the highway with easy access in both directions.

Cons: Massive construction all around the hotel and that block (may not be a problem for a long weekend). The two most popular places to eat in that block don't take reservations--they do the sign in and take a pager routine. Both cons are pretty minor, all things considered.

IMHO it's great as a location--you can access a lot of services, dining, etc. without using your car and if you want more shopping, a couple of miles gets you to Crabtree Valley Mall. I haven't been inside HH but I know people who have stayed there for extended periods of time and they were satisfied. Even with the construction there's a fair amount of good sidewalk area with some green spaces if you want to stretch your legs.

I walk near HH every day, so if there's any other info you'd like, let me know.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:48 am

I've stayed here. Lobby is bland but rooms are stunning. Definitely the best Hyatt property in the Triangle; Hyatt Place Durham Southpoint would be a distant (but still worthy) second. Neighborhood is upscale and quaint, if bland -- there is cookie cutter entertainment (bowling alley, movie theater) that will pass the time but make no memories. Par for the course for a mid-major American city.

The only real caveat is the hotel's proximity to an outdoor park that hosts loud events through the late afternoon/early evening, which could be problematic if you need a nap after a long day. I don't think my windows even faced the park; the music and loudspeaker just reverberated through the entire hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.