Wiki Posts
Search

Award Bookings Non Refundable?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Globallist
Award Bookings Non Refundable?

I hadn't seen this before, but I was booking an Award stay for 3 nights in May, and it said "non refundable"

I called the Diamond line and was told, "my points would be refunded and I would be charged the per night cash price"

I honestly don't think I've ever seen this

Is this true and correct from others experiences with "non-refundable Award trave" with Hyatt?

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Can you provide city/dates? Could there be a special event happening at the same time?

I've seen almost identical verbiage associated w award stays near San Fran during Super Bowl week. And for special events, that's understandable.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:57 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Can you provide city/dates? Could there be a special event happening at the same time?

I've seen almost identical verbiage associated w award stays near San Fran during Super Bowl week. And for special events, that's understandable.
Not normally the case - but does happen for special events.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I have that problem with Nice, France -- the first three nights are on a reasonable 2-week cancelation-- but if I add the 4th night so need (a Tuesday) They change everything to be non-refundable -- saying there is an event in town

So, for my 4th night I'm moving over to the SPG on points
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

I just found it very weird. Super Bowl yes. There shouldn't be any award stays even close to Santa Clara. That's literally a "once in a year" special event. I noticed none of mt Spring Trainning awards stay are NOT non refundable. That would fall in more of a "special event" category than my city/one day event, even though booking 3 days. Was just curious. Seems like if it's " non refundable award booking", which doesn't really seem reasonable, keep the points, not charge daily rate. Daily rate changes so often, so it really could be any $ dollar. Seems like a bad situation to charge $.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
I just found it very weird. Super Bowl yes. There shouldn't be any award stays even close to Santa Clara. That's literally a "once in a year" special event. I noticed none of mt Spring Trainning awards stay are NOT non refundable. That would fall in more of a "special event" category than my city/one day event, even though booking 3 days. Was just curious. Seems like if it's " non refundable award booking", which doesn't really seem reasonable, keep the points, not charge daily rate. Daily rate changes so often, so it really could be any $ dollar. Seems like a bad situation to charge $.

Really? You think that spring training is a bigger event than the Superbowl? Nobody even watches baseball. Attendance and viewership have been in a rapid decline for the last several years.

Last edited by Andrea Waters; Nov 15, 2015 at 6:15 pm
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Really? You think that spring training is a bigger event than the Superbowl? Nobody even watches baseball in demand. Attendance and viewership have been in a rapid decline for the last several years.
Super Bowl >>>>>>>.pretty much any other event on earth as far as viewers >>>>>>>>>>Spring training pricey hotel rooms. Peeps love the SUN in March >>>>>>>>>>>> one day "special event" for my may booking. Gotta read correctly But thanks for the decline of baseball viewership knowledge. You should start a blog for "NEW and up to the minute info"

Last edited by creativeguess1; Nov 15, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
IIRC, hotels can use such an exemption twice a year for a certain period of time.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looking to make a booking at the HC Park City over the New Year's Period. Looks like this non-refundable issue is in play (which isn't surprising if they are allowed to do it 2x a year and this is Park City during the Winter Holiday time period).

Also says they are going to charge my CC for 2 nights. I assume that's not going to happen since this is a points stay but if in fact I push the button I am committing my 30k points to the stay so can't change plans at all?

These are rate rules:

Rate Rules
Redeem Points
Terms And Conditions
Cancellation policy
Non Refundable/Full Prepayment/No Changes
Old May 4, 2016, 12:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

When making an award booking and being a no-show the hotel can also charge you for the cash rate. So be aware that when an award is non-refundable you might be liable for more than just those points when you would need to cancel.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Duke787
Also says they are going to charge my CC for 2 nights. I assume that's not going to happen since this is a points stay but if in fact I push the button I am committing my 30k points to the stay so can't change plans at all?
Just in case they do actually charge your card, I would put it on something like Chase Sapphire, which offers cancellation coverage.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RTW1
When making an award booking and being a no-show the hotel can also charge you for the cash rate. So be aware that when an award is non-refundable you might be liable for more than just those points when you would need to cancel.
Ah gotcha that makes sense

Originally Posted by Kacee
Just in case they do actually charge your card, I would put it on something like Chase Sapphire, which offers cancellation coverage.
Good call - I'll put it on the CSP
Old May 6, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I no you are just the messenger but the hotel doing that makes no sense? They aren't losing any more revenue by you not showing up, in fact, it's less work as they do not have to clean the room. Am I missing something?
Old May 6, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I no you are just the messenger but the hotel doing that makes no sense? They aren't losing any more revenue by you not showing up, in fact, it's less work as they do not have to clean the room. Am I missing something?
They have an opportunity to make more money, so they take it. That's the American way.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:52 am

Non-refundable C&P?

Here's something I've never seen before. Manchester GH in San Diego, P&C for May 20/21, the rate rules say:

HYATT GOLD PASSPORT POINTS PLUS CASH AWARD - Standard guarantee/cancel policy applies

Except then it goes on to say:

Cancellation of this reservation is subject to the hotel cancellation policy.
Non Refundable/Full Prepayment/No Changes

Anyone ever seen something like this?

While it is "Taco Fest" weekend () not aware of any major event that would justify a harsh cancel policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.