Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I'm quitting Hyatt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I thought HPs were heaven after I crossed over from IHG and Marriott last year. Nice, large, comfortable rooms. And a pretty decent breakfast compared to Holiday Inn Expresses and Fairfield Inns. At least there is always fruit, yogurt, and cereal available which is all I really need.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Have you ever had a Travelodge breakfast? If not... I highly recommend it
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
I never eat breakfast when I am not in a hotel, but when at a Hyatt I have to use my diamond benefit half the time because I have to maximize the perk as much as my shriveled stomach can handle. Never eat at Hyatt Place. End of the day you can stay at Hyatt and just skip breakfast. Many days I skip lunch too. I have a bowl of soup for supper at 7 or 8 pm and some nuts. Never felt better in my entire life. Next week I can share all my personal hygiene tips.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Like most posters say, ltd service hotels have limited breakfast options. No worse than Hampton Inn or HIX if you ask me.

I still think Hyatt would be my brand of choice if it weren't for limited properties.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I was reading this thread, figuring I had nothing to add, until one of the commenters suggested HI or Best Western was a better option than HP. Oh please, let's avoid hyperbole. Nothing against Best Western, but the worst HP in the chain has better rooms than Best Western.

As for OP's complaints, I'll agree with one: the communal yogurt is to be avoided at all costs. I never see people eat it, literally. Besides that, the HP breakfast seems very acceptable. Comparing it to Hampton Inn breakfast is kind of a joke, because HP breakfasts are consistent. Hampton breakfasts very tremendously from Inn to Inn.

If that is the OP's problem, go to the store and buy some yogurt and a container of oats and take them back to your room. You can then have yogurt and oatmeal (cooked the way you like) for breakfast for under $5/week.

The free breakfast is a great benefit when traveling with the family, but as previous commenters said, for a single traveler, the free breakfast is the least important benefit when choosing a hotel.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldsant
This post has to be a joke. Last year I spent 300+ nights at a hotel - this year so far 290+. In other words I stay at hotels a lot.
Today is the year's 280th day. Unless you get up in the middle of the night to change hotels, I'm calling BS on this one.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by dat4life
I thought HPs were heaven after I crossed over from IHG and Marriott last year. Nice, large, comfortable rooms. And a pretty decent breakfast compared to Holiday Inn Expresses and Fairfield Inns. At least there is always fruit, yogurt, and cereal available which is all I really need.
Some much needed and accurate perspective here.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by RobH
I spend about 200 nights per year in hotels for work. Over the years I've changed loyalty multiple times; I started out with IHG, moved to Hilton, Starwood, and Hyatt. I've also used Wyndham and Best Western as secondary programs. In 2014 I spent about 50 nights at a single Hyatt Place, in 2015 it has been well over 100 nights in the same property (Hyatt Place Omaha Downtown/Old Market). This hotel has very comfortable rooms, a fantastic location, covered parking, satellite TV with big screens, and is generally quite good. The breakfast, however, is so bad that I can no longer put it past my lips. This is the primary reason why I'm divorcing from Hyatt. I've had the opportunity to stay at another Hyatt Place (Baton Rouge, LA) on a couple of occasions. Breakfast was less disgusting there by a small margin, but was still quite bad.

My reasons for quitting:
  • I tend to do long-term gigs for big projects. My customer ultimately pays the bill. They'll usually pay for a hotel at the level of a Hyatt Place, they typically won't spring for higher end hotels such as Grand Hyatt or Hyatt Regency.
  • When I move on to my next assignment, there may not be any Hyatt hotel at all. If there is, most customers won't pay for anything above a Hyatt Place. Therefore chances are I'll be stuck at yet another hotel with a ***disgusting breakfast***.
  • Hyatt Place's breakfast is ***so bad*** that I have to waste time and money going elsewhere for breakfast. That cuts into my billable time and per diem, so it costs me money.
  • I have a United Presidential Plus card which automatically gives me Hyatt Platinum. I stayed at a Hyatt Regency before I was a 100+ night customer using the credit card status, and was treated well. I'm not convinced that Diamond status is worth it.
  • Of all the programs I've participated in, my preference is Starwood. Some of their lower tier brands have deficiencies, but the deficiences aren't as bad as the ***disgusting breakfast*** at Hyatt Place. They have enough properties that I can usually avoid the Alofts, Four Points, and Elements.
  • Both Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn have a superior offering to the ***disgusting breakfast*** at Hyatt Place. That is a sad commentary on Hyatt Place.

To further expound on why Hyatt Place's breakfast is ***disgusting***:
  • Hyatt Places don't have an actual kitchen. Thus we're presented with a breakfast that consists of:
    • Lukewarm egg-shaped objects on soggy untoasted english muffins.
    • A community yogurt bowl (or should I say petri dish?)
    • A layer of uncooked, unsalted oats topped with water, unstirred in a vat
    • Fruit that is cheap, hard, and doesn't taste good (even in the summer when fresh fruit is easily obtainable)
    • Low quality pastries
    • Really bad coffee
  • Poor service, on busy days the foods isn't replenished fast enough (saw this in Omaha and Baton Rouge)

I have well over 100K Hyatt points to use. I've got family in Baton Rouge, LA and Yonkers, NY, both locations have Hyatt Places. I'll be using my points there, but I'll be going out for breakfast every morning of those stays.

Hyatt may well have a fantastic product in their higher priced brands; I don't stay in those kind of hotels frequently enough to benefit from that. Their low price brand has a deficiency that is so bad that it is unacceptable.

By the way did I mention that Hyatt Place has a ***disgusting breakfast***?
you know if you think HP has the franchise on "Prepared" breakfast foods so does Hampton, Courtyard, etc. The issue I do have to HP is that there is a lack of consistency some are old reflags "AmeriSuites" and alike.

As for the "prepared" or pre packaged they are all going that way I stayed in a brand new HP is Seattle and their "new look, new menu" breakfast and the omelet pan is straight out of a Barbie Doll set . its so small. When I asked about this they said that the head chief of Hyatt set this all up! So, what was happening is that if one is hungry and needs protein in the form of eggs you have to go back again which I saw many many people doing !! SO for whatever theory of cost savings is blown !

But is happening everywhere it's just a fact of life.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:28 pm

After staying at Luxury Resorts and hotels that have "resort fees" hitting $60 day I have been loving the free IHG Holiday Inn Express breakfasts including the instant eggs, pancake maker etc. I am not joking and I know people who created some of the biggest names in the business. Yeah they live in Arizona.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:29 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There might be better breakfast solutions if the OP continues staying at HPs. For a single long stay, it could make sense to purchase a cheap toaster or toaster oven; for a long sequence of weeknight stays at the same HP, the OP might be able to work a deal to keep a small box or suitcase with the toaster at the property (or at his client's office) if he/she isn't driving to the location. Every HP room contains a coffee maker, wet bar with counter workspace, and reasonably-sized refrigerator, so figure out what else you need to make a breakfast that works for you.

If OP is flying in and out every week, so that luggage space is limited, how about finding a good bakery and purchasing high quality croissants for breakfast? Most towns should at least have a source for decent muffins. Take OJ, butter, etc. from the HP breakfast to supplement. If you don't like either the breakfast coffee or the in room coffee, again try to buy something better that works with the HP coffee machines. (Does Starbucks sell the new coffee that's been appearing at HRs and GHs?)

Take yourself out for a good breakfast on some days, or if you're on location over weekends, splurge for a good brunch in place of buying lunch somewhere.
I would second this. In 1991 when I "lived" in a Hyatt for 2 months when relocating - this was before hotel status or free breakfasts, I requested that a small refrigerator be in the room so I could keep milk for my cereal which I just bought (my usual breakfast at home). I would probably do the same today even with breakfast benefits at the best properties around.

I would say that 50+ nights of even the best breakfast would probably burn me out. Not saying that HP breakfast is good, it isn't - but then neither is most lower end chain properties.

Omaha is a secondary market anyways. When I visited the Hyatt Customer Center there a few years ago, this HP wasn't even open - it was kind of funny staying at a SPG Element for the Hyatt visit.

The OP with Omaha / Baton Rouge locations mentioned seem to specialize in secondary markets that wouldn't have a higher end property anyways.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
I would second this. In 1991 when I "lived" in a Hyatt for 2 months when relocating - this was before hotel status or free breakfasts
Hyatt Gold Passport started in 1987.

http://newsroom.hyatt.com/download/H..._June+2014.pdf
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:44 pm

A google search revealed several Panera bread locations. The breakfast sandwiches and other items sound good, and they of course have good bakery and coffee etc...

There is something weird about this thread. It seems there are many obvious solutions to the breakfast problem if staying at a limited service ptoperty like this.

Where do locals go out for breakfast in Omaha? Warren buffet surely has his favorites, including McDonalds. Be resourceful.

With that number of nights on the road, I would go for spg Platinum 100 for 4 points per dollar spend, among other things.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 7, 2015 at 8:51 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny

I would say that 50+ nights of even the best breakfast would probably burn me out.
+1 last year stayed 40 nights at Grand Hyatt Singapore, which has very respectable breakfast :-) but after a while you jut get fed up of the same offerings

Last edited by peteropny; Oct 8, 2015 at 8:43 am Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The Hyatt House I've stayed in most has decent breakfast, including omelets and waffles cooked to order.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
A google search revealed several Panera bread locations. The breakfast sandwiches and other items sound good, and they of course have good bakery and coffee etc...

There is something weird about this thread. It seems there are many obvious solutions to the breakfast problem if staying at a limited service ptoperty like this.
You're missing a point made by OP. He doesn't want to spend time/money going outside hotel for breakfast.

It's a great thread. The OP could have said all he did in one paragraph, but chose to write a short story. He clearly lacks imagination/curiosity. A robot employee living inside the box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.