Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How to deal with noise issue at hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

I've got a question on how to deal with a noise issue at the Hyatt tysons corner regency.

I'm sitting in a a regency suite that I got for the weekend (as a brand new diamond member and wanted to test out the suite upgrade). Apparently, there is a cultural festival going on in the courtyard below (hyatt is one of the sponsers). It is so loud in my room that it is like being in redskins stadium.

I talked to the front desk and they said that all the suites are effected. Didn't really offer any help or solutions to the issue. Didn't even know how long it would last. (going on 3 hours now).

I'm not that familiar with Hyatts. What should I do? I'm half tempted to leave, but I would hate to just waste my upgrade. I also need tonight to get the next step in my summer promotion.

Any advice? the front desk didn't offer any help.. should I ask to downgrade the room on the other side of the hotel and ask for my upgrade back? It would have been nice for them to inform me when I checked in that this was going to go on today. (My plan was to just watch nfl presession games on the tv with my son... don't think that is going to work now).

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
John M.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:11 pm

I world probably have switched rooms and discreetly mentioned to front desk that you were sorry to loose your DSU this way. If they dont do anything about it, I wouldn't have bothered to push harder. Instead I would have sent a polite email after check out, and hoped for some compensation. But I do not think you are directly entitled to one, all though the festival should have been published on the hotel web page.

As a sidenote, it always amazes me how many expensive suites that have an awful location when it comes to noise eg. next to the elevator, facing a busy street/square on a low floor and/or have connecting doors in both the living room AND bedrooom.

Last edited by heakja; Aug 15, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
A while back, I had a similar issue at the Hyatt in Kuantan. I spoke with the manager and requested that the diamond suite upgrade be returned to my account. At first, he wasn't sure whether he could do it, but he was able to pull it off somehow.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would change rooms to their quietest and would want the DSU back. That's fair.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:25 pm

When was this noise taking place?

My thoughts would change from this is happening during the middle of the day/afternoon vs at night.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Update

Thanks for all the advice. As a short term solution I left the hotel for a while.

The noise started at 10 am. After talking to the event staff it looks like the last performance ends at 10 pm.

We'll see if i can keep my son out for another five hours. Not sure ill succeed. They really need to post this info on the website. I would have picked a hotel in dc.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by jabbered
When was this noise taking place?

My thoughts would change from this is happening during the middle of the day/afternoon vs at night.
I respectfully disagree.

There are a number of people who work nights, and sleep during the day in a hotel.

There should not be excessive noise levels in a hotel at any time. (or at least there should be rooms available away from the noise)
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that noise during normal hours, especially ending at 10:00 PM is unreasonable. If you are on an off-cycle as many in the IAD area are due to cross time-zone travel, it's important to let the property know in advance that you need an out-of-the-way room. If that means no suite, so be it.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Just got back from the Hyatt Tysons in a Regency Suite... The Korus festival was going on all day and it was quite loud. I wish I had known beforehand as I would have stayed elsewhere... it did promptly end at 9.. all the suites face the plaza so there weren't really any other options.. pretty disappointing...

FDW
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Properties should be in the business of making their rooms quieter, not noisier.

This thread would be useful in the master one for Tyson's Corner. Then potential guests would be aware that this is a continuing issue that may affect their stay.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JackE
Properties should be in the business of making their rooms quieter, not noisier.

This thread would be useful in the master one for Tyson's Corner. Then potential guests would be aware that this is a continuing issue that may affect their stay.
Definitely agree. If their suites will face their main event area then extra soundproofing should have been used. No one should be tortured by unnecessary noise pollution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.