Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Money stolen under baggage storage - what should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money stolen under baggage storage - what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by rkrn
Just for context, I rounded up because the cash was in another currency. I didn't specify the currency because that possibly identify the property and I didn't want to make this a complaint post about a specific property.
The question I asked was, if you were in the shoes of said property's manager, how can you verify that it was $400 taken not $40 because as someone else pointed out:

Originally Posted by RTW1
anyone can claim any unsubstantiated amount.
Which I agree with.

Originally Posted by rkrn
I wish I could show this to my wife! :shrugs: I was more shocked to find out that she had left money in a vulnerable position than to find out that she lost her money. Hopefully this incident is going to help her avoid costlier errors in the future.
How about this quote instead "In university, we are given a taught a lesson then given a test. Whereas in life, we are given a test that teaches us a lesson".

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Now for the OP: The hotel should compensate them as the theft occurred while the bag was under their storage. This may not be required under the law, but in the interest of maintaining a good reputation and service, they should do it.
If you sincerely believe in what you said, please start a hotel!

I would like to see how long this rule lasts in your hotel.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 28, 2015 at 1:23 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
While that may be how lower end hotels manage these situations, Park Hyatts and Ritz Carltons empower their staff to fix the situation promptly.

I recall at the PH SYD the maid accidentally spilt bleach on a guest's fur coat heading to the opera. The head concierge took the guest to David Jones (Department store) and bought whichever fur coat she choose before taking her and her husband to the Sydney Opera House in the hotel car.
That's an awesome story!

Still a far cry from someone claiming that money was stolen from their luggage.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by thucanhho
I accidentally left my safe open with cash, cards and valuables inside. While cleaning, the housekeeper noticed it and immediately notified management, who immediately notified me. Made me realize and feel badly for hotel staff since it appears that false accusations are not uncommon. This is not an accusation that OP is making false claim.
I once left for the airport from without checking the safe, where I'd left my passport and a pouch with all my various foreign currency and some credit cards. (This is in China). The hotel called me while I was enroute, informed me of the situation, and sent a staff member to personally deliver the items to me so I could take my flight. They had carefully itemized everything down to the Hong Kong cent. Everything was there. It would have been very easy to steal the cash (at least $200-300 worth), but the housekeeping staff was beyond reproach here.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by transparent
I once left for the airport from without checking the safe, where I'd left my passport and a pouch with all my various foreign currency and some credit cards. (This is in China). The hotel called me while I was enroute, informed me of the situation, and sent a staff member to personally deliver the items to me so I could take my flight. They had carefully itemized everything down to the Hong Kong cent. Everything was there. It would have been very easy to steal the cash (at least $200-300 worth), but the housekeeping staff was beyond reproach here.
Commendable. I'm surprised and impressed it wasn't taken!
Old May 31, 2015, 8:25 am
Original Poster

By the way, just to bring closure to this thread:

The GP concierge was very responsive and brought the matter to the attention of the executive management at the hotel and I was quickly given a thorough report of the investigation. (Thanks!)

I'm convinced that they've done what was within their means to investigate and that there was no strong evidence to pinpoint a member of the staff behind this. Even if it was perpetrated by someone employed by the hotel, I feel that the fault lies with an individual and not the hotel or chain on a whole.

They did offer a token of compensation for how the initial report was neglected, which was very kind of them. I think my wife got away pretty lucky with this.

Moral of the story: It's very difficult to pursue missing cash, safeguard your cash and check your belongings every time it changes hands, not until it's too late for a police report at the scene; GP concierge service is stellar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.