Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:20 pm

Just noticed that if you plug in two children under the age of 13 on 3rd party websites there is no up-charge for children. The Hyatt website charges for kids.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Just noticed that if you plug in two children under the age of 13 on 3rd party websites there is no up-charge for children. The Hyatt website charges for kids.
If it was the States I would take the chance...but being in Mexico...I wouldn't be surprised if the front desk noticed the children not being charged and saying it was mistake. If you had an actual Hyatt reservation...you'd have more sway over a 3rd party reservation.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:04 pm

Notice on third party websites their rates listed are the same rates as the Hyatt's for ONE occupant in the room (expedia for example). So, what I'd do is get a screenshot and do a BRG rate for the dates you want... and if you're Diamond you might be able to apply a DSU... since the suite rooms that they upgrade to are the Club Tower rooms... though not official suites they are about 50% larger than the regular rooms and have a tub & shower in the spacious bathroom as well as a whirlpool on the terrace... with full ocean view. We really enjoyed this room.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
though not official suites they are about 50% larger than the regular rooms and have a tub & shower in the spacious bathroom as well as a whirlpool on the terrace... with full ocean view. We really enjoyed this room.
Does every room on the Club Tower have a whirpool on the terrace?
I understand these are the older, non-renovated rooms, which make them sound LESS attractive than the rooms in the new towers. Did the rooms look 'tired' to you?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Does every room on the Club Tower have a whirpool on the terrace?
I understand these are the older, non-renovated rooms, which make them sound LESS attractive than the rooms in the new towers. Did the rooms look 'tired' to you?
My understanding is the club tower has not been remodeled which means only the top 3 or 4 floors have whirlpools on the balconies.

I also understand that the club rooms are substantially bigger than the remodeled rooms in the older building making the un-remodeled club tower the tower of choice. Reviews have said the remodeled rooms in the old tower are slick and corporate and do not have the Mexican charm of the older Club tower rooms.

I like Mexican charm.....Give me club over the older tower any day.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Notice on third party websites their rates listed are the same rates as the Hyatt's for ONE occupant in the room (expedia for example). So, what I'd do is get a screenshot and do a BRG rate for the dates you want... and if you're Diamond you might be able to apply a DSU... since the suite rooms that they upgrade to are the Club Tower rooms... though not official suites they are about 50% larger than the regular rooms and have a tub & shower in the spacious bathroom as well as a whirlpool on the terrace... with full ocean view. We really enjoyed this room.
Not seeing this scenario on expedia. Rate is the same as Hyatt.com with two guests.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:30 pm

David,
We were in remodeled rooms in the "new tower" and then again the rooms in the club tower... Remodeled rooms were smaller and had a sterile feel.
Hands down, club tower trumps the other... as well as being more and closer to main lobby, main pools etc.
JMHO
Carolyn
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:43 pm

I just compared dates in December -- and not over holidays... and saw expedia rates for TWO adults (they automatically put in 2) was a few $ less than the hyatt.com rate, which calculates room for ONE... you need to enter TWO if you are traveling with a companion. In non-all inclusive North American resorts it doesn't matter if there is one or two occupant. Not sure if this is an expedia glitch or not.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:28 am

David,
We were in remodeled rooms in the "new tower" and then again the rooms in the club tower... Remodeled rooms were smaller and had a sterile feel.
Hands down, club tower trumps the other... as well as being more and closer to main lobby, main pools etc.
JMHO
Carolyn
That is what I am hearing as well.

We are reserved for a plunge pool 2 story suite. My fingers are crossed that they will be in the club tower and not the "new" tower. ( I guess I could always write and request the club tower )
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:51 am

David, two story plunge pools are supposed to be in the CLUB building... I'd call the hotel directly and ask for Leopold or Alexandre (front-end mgr & GM respectively). If I'm not mistaken they are newly built additions or renovations. The SWIM UP rooms are on the main floor of the "other tower". I personally didn't think that these rooms offered much and since the higher floors had balconies overhead wonder how much sun etc. these units would have. I've heard great things about the PLUNGE pool rooms though.
With my experiences lately with this property and GP, I'd suggest for your piece of mind, etc. to contact them directly.
I'm sure you'll have a fantastic stay.
Carolyn
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Sorry if this is a repeat question but is this property available for pts redemption? It says option not available no matter which date I select.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:15 pm

you need to book this hotel through HP main number... don't know why but it doesn't book out via website. To make sure that the dates you're interested are available, just make sure that the base room (ziva ocean view) king or double are available for booking $, if those are, then it's available for 20K per night.
It's a great value redemption and I'm sure you will enjoy your stay.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Took my parents here over the weekend. Booked two rooms at the 65% promotion rate and applied DSUs to both. I was upgraded to a Club King room with a balcony jacuzzi and my parents were upgraded to a brand new two-story plunge pool suite in the main tower (not the club tower).

Overall, we had an amazing time and the hotel is definitely just about ready for prime time. That said, there were a few rough edges here and there, but none that really detracted from the experience.

A few bullets from our experience:
- the plunge pool suite in the main tower was the star... the decor is fabulous, the furniture is gorgeous, everything about it was absolutely gorgeous. The private balcony and pool was great.
- our club room was just okay... I'll be the counterargument for those that were advocating for it. It looked a bit more dated, smelled a little musty, and the bedding had a funky wet-tortilla smell. Can't describe it as anything other than that, unfortunately. Oddly on our second day we saw boxes of bedding in the hallway outside, and the smell was gone... so they were evidently in the process of replacing the club bedding.
- my parents mentioned a few water pressure issues at the top of the main tower, including some weird air in the lines after they hadn't been used for a while. apparently it led to some rather spectacular toilet flushes.

- service was generally good, with a few oddities. There were a few staff and bartenders that really rocked it and made our experience great. There were a couple bartenders and waiters whose grasp of English resulted in the incorrect drinks -- sometimes requiring three tries. (think vodka on the rocks instead of margarita on the rocks, or exchanges like this:
"Do you have any free wines?"
"No sir, no wines are free."
"Hmm, OK. So you have to pay for all the wine?"
"No sir, we have house wines, they are ... "

- maintenance was mixed. My parents' suite was missing a vanity mirror, which they immediately installed on the wall. Our jacuzzi was broken, and remained broken after a couple days/mentions. So I popped open the maintenance cover and flipped the fuse myself to fix it.

- beach service leaves a lot to be desired. Aside from the constant heckling from vendors on a private beach, clearly abandoned towels are left all day on the beach, so that by the end of the day, there are no lounge chairs available while they are perhaps 5-10% occupied. With waiters canvassing the area, there should be a 1-2 hour lounge saving rule. Speaking of the waiters... drink service averaged 20-30 minutes or so... we eventually resorted to getting drinks at the bar.

- The food was fabulous. Really a cut above what we expected (other than a breakfast at Blaze that sidelined the whole team for a couple hours afterward). Creative menus, generous servings, great flavors. Unfortunately, once the guacamole cart retires for the afternoon, there's nowhere to get a snack or an appetizer. We were waiting to meet my parents for dinner, and really all we wanted was some chips and guac to have with a drink at the bar while we waited. When we asked about it, the waitress acted like we were crazy and told us to go eat dinner at the restaurant.

- The "hut" bathroom on the north side of the beach is gross and should be closed or renovated immediately.

- The sunset bar is poorly named... the lights are on full brightness all night and it's probably the brightest room in the hotel. Really kills the vibe.

- Their security/facilities folks are still finding their way. There were a couple of large groups that took a liking to bringing their own soundtrack wherever they went in the hotel or on the beach, which should have been clamped down on. There was an instance where a group descended on the sunset terrace space and completely redecorated -- I'm talking about moving around furniture, decorative side tables, setting up speakers, etc. to create a group space, blocking cross-traffic. The new furniture arrangement was untouched later the next day, with people having to weave through the empty couches.

So all in all, other than a few rough spots that will easily be fixable, it's a great property and a great addition to the Hyatt portfolio. We'll definitely be back.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 pm

nethead,
thanks for an up to date review... especially since it's been a whole month since we left the property. I couldn't agree with you more, about the
"chair hogs"... or what we actually found... that at the pool they set up towels on the lounges... and most were just covered with towel and rolled towel at head...which gave the impression of occupancy when indeed they weren't... ask person at towel/activity hut at main pool... since it was rather early in the AM (at least early for activity at pool area.. think it was around 10AM).
I also agree with you regarding the maint. crew..where sometimes we just resorted to fixing things ourselves... after waiting a bit for somebody to come (though we had heard the excuses... of hotel only being open 4 days... that the hotel had been closed for 6+ months and being vacant. yet finding out that upper management had been housed for several weeks on property to get feel of location etc.) We, too, were surprised that there wasn't any "nibbles" for happy hour,sunset cocktails prior to going to dinner any only little bit of a chex mix type of thing barely. So where exactly are the plunge pool rooms in the "renovated building". Are they on the top floors? They're not the swim up (or swim out) main level rooms in the same building? Are both elevators working now. Has the sports bar or spa open yet? How was the italian restaurant? When we were there, since it was getting very crowded at lunch they opened it slightly with just pizza on the patio area all of which were just so-so with a long wait to be seated or finally get food.
I was just kind of surprised that in the evening there was only one area to get drinks etc. and no other evening entertainment (other than the evening show <weather permitting> or other than the bar off the lobby area.
This resort has great potential... hopefully given some time it will be quite nice.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by nethead25
Took my parents here over the weekend. Booked two rooms at the 65% promotion rate and applied DSUs to both. I was upgraded to a Club King room with a balcony jacuzzi and my parents were upgraded to a brand new two-story plunge pool suite in the main tower (not the club tower).
Did the DSU book you into the plunge pool suite, or were you upgraded to that? If it was an upgrade was it in advance or when you checked in? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.