Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Kacee
I could absolutely see this being one of Hyatt's top three redemption properties. Purely on a cents per point basis, it is often a decent redemption in a very high cost city, with pretty good points availability. Considering the relatively poor value on a cash basis, I wouldn't be surprised if award stays are a significant source of overall revenue (similar to Alila Ventana).
This is my thinking too. We're considering a long weekend getaway here in April, when the cherry trees are hopefully in bloom and the weather is starting to get nice, but the award rate is still standard. (Weekends in the summer seem to all be peak pricing.)
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Stayed one night on Xmas, paid with 35k points standard room. First time here and overall ok experience.

1. Upgraded to King room city view the night before check in, despite having King Suite (standard suite) and Studio King available. Emailed early morning the day of check in to inquire about suite upgrade, of course all the suites disappeared before I got a response.

2. During check in we got the most uninterested and robotic receptionist with no emotion at all. Hard sell on $700 for One Bedroom Suite with City view and $250 for One Bedroom Suite with some smart bed feature. No comp upgrade at all despite knowing people here got those suites before. Mentioned the Studio Suite will be ready around 6-7pm if I want that and denied giving us the King View room first and changing us to the Studio Suite later stating they are extremely busy. I decided to just settle in our high floor King room city view as it was already ready at around noon. Overheard another guest trying to get a suite upgrade for the remaining of his stay next to us.

3. Got to my room and felt instantly happy about my decision. Our room was located on the most top floor with the bathtub in front of a huge window facing the west with actual city view, and lots of natural light into the room. Yes I would love to have an extra sofa area to lounge but that bathtub view was exceptional. The room size was large enough for the two of us, and took a great bath in the evening with lights off enjoying the city night view. USB A/C outlet on each side of the bed. I would have prefer this room over any low floor studio suites.

4. Breakfast was ok, definitely better than Andaz and Thompson Central Park we just came from. However, I rate the qualify of the food at the rock bottom of all the Park Hyatts I stayed before. $56 for the steak and egg which I would be very disappointed if it’s out of my pocket, the lobster omelet was decent. We did in room dining and did not need to sign anything, the bill was taken care at check out.

5. Gym and pool area was completely packed the two times we checked. Already had a much better high rise pool and gym experience at Conrad Osaka and PH Tokyo last month so we didn’t used any this time.

6. Concierge offered free 2 hour bike rental, free Le Labo discovery set, and free coffee at Nordstrom. We didn’t had the chance to take advantage of any.

I would return if I can book on 35k points per night again (probably not for 40k and definitely not 45k) and would probably use a TSU on the King Bed Suite just to get a bigger room.

Last edited by zoneflyer; Dec 27, 2022 at 12:26 pm
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by zoneflyer
Stayed one night on Xmas, paid with 35k points standard room. First time here and overall ok experience.

1. Upgraded to King room city view the night before check in, despite having King Suite (standard suite) and Studio King available. Emailed early morning the day of check in to inquire about suite upgrade, of course all the suites disappeared before I got a response.

2. During check in we got the most uninterested and robotic receptionist with no emotion at all. Hard sell on $700 for One Bedroom Suite with City view and $250 for One Bedroom Suite with some smart bed feature. No comp upgrade at all despite knowing people here got those suites before. Mentioned the Studio Suite will be ready around 6-7pm if I want that and denied giving us the King View room first and changing us to the Studio Suite later stating they are extremely busy. I decided to just settle in our high floor King room city view as it was already ready at around noon. Overheard another guest trying to get a suite upgrade for the remaining of his stay next to us.

3. Got to my room and felt instantly happy about my decision. Our room was located on the most top floor with the bathtub in front of a huge window facing the west with actual city view, and lots of natural light into the room. Yes I would love to have an extra sofa area to lounge but that bathtub view was exceptional. The room size was large enough for the two of us, and took a great bath in the evening with lights off enjoying the city night view. I would have prefer this room over any low floor studio suites.

4. Breakfast was ok, definitely better than Andaz and Thompson Central Park we just came from. However, I rate the qualify of the food at the rock bottom of all the Park Hyatts I stayed before. $56 for the steak and egg which I would be very disappointed if it’s out of my pocket, the lobster omelet was decent. We did in room dining and did not need to sign anything, the bill was taken care at check out.

5. Gym and pool area was completely packed the two times we checked. Already had a much better high rise pool and gym experience at Conrad Osaka and PH Tokyo last month so we didn’t used any this time.

6. Concierge offered free 2 hour bike rental, free Le Labo discovery set, and free coffee at Nordstrom. We didn’t had the chance to take advantage of any.

I would return if I can book on 35k points per night again (probably not for 40k and definitely not 45k) and would probably use a TSU on the King Bed Suite just to get a bigger room.
You experienced the standard PHNY treatment. Completely locked out of any suite upgrades. They will happily give you one for a massive upcharge. Best case scenario is what you got: a better view. Please don't waste your upgrade awards on the studio suite. I would argue it's actually inferior to the standard king. IMO they don't take good care of the hard product in the studio suites. Last one I was in, the window blinds were beat to absolute hell. You are correct, at 35K this place is barely worth it.

There's just too many better options. Sure, the Andaz is not what it once was, but at least the Thompson is trying. I am taking most of my future business to the Conrad and Hyatt Centric TS. Just a better treatment and value. I may stay here when it's 35K and I'm feeling extremely lavish.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
That City View King room looks way better than their 'standard' suite, which though is a little bigger, is much, much, much darker and gets a lot of street noise.

I'd rather use a TSU to get the room you got than to get their standard suite (though by all means, if this property cares even in the slightest about globalist treatments, the 1 bedroom suites (or which there are a lot) would be the standard suites)
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by zoneflyer

3. Got to my room and felt instantly happy about my decision. Our room was located on the most top floor with the bathtub in front of a huge window facing the west with actual city view, and lots of natural light into the room. Yes I would love to have an extra sofa area to lounge but that bathtub view was exceptional. The room size was large enough for the two of us, and took a great bath in the evening with lights off enjoying the city night view. I would have prefer this room over any low floor studio suites.

FYI the standard suites are ALL low floor and the windows are filthy, you have no view and they're dark. Park Hyatt is not a good hotel for Globalists because the "upgrade" is arguably worse than the regular rooms on high floors. Also although their breakfast policy is generous and the in-room spread is impressive, the actual quality of the food is middling and would never be worth even 1/2 of what the list price is. The hotel is very popular (perhaps it was a great hotel prior to COVID), but in my opinion, currently the popularity is completely undeserved. The hotel is stingy with real upgrades because the actual nice rooms are "premium suites" and the standard suites are a punishment. The restaurant is unbefitting a 5 star hotel and churns out food that would suffice at a cheerful Holiday Inn. "Wow I saved $150 on breakfast! Two supermarket eggs and a burnt flavorless tomato with little pots of jam for the dry scone. What a deal!"

Globalists need to stop punishing themselves and giving money to a poorly run anti-customer hotel that promises but fails to delivery luxury.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
FYI the standard suites are ALL low floor and the windows are filthy, you have no view and they're dark. Park Hyatt is not a good hotel for Globalists because the "upgrade" is arguably worse than the regular rooms on high floors. Also although their breakfast policy is generous and the in-room spread is impressive, the actual quality of the food is middling and would never be worth even 1/2 of what the list price is. The hotel is very popular (perhaps it was a great hotel prior to COVID), but in my opinion, currently the popularity is completely undeserved. The hotel is stingy with real upgrades because the actual nice rooms are "premium suites" and the standard suites are a punishment. The restaurant is unbefitting a 5 star hotel and churns out food that would suffice at a cheerful Holiday Inn. "Wow I saved $150 on breakfast! Two supermarket eggs and a burnt flavorless tomato with little pots of jam for the dry scone. What a deal!"

Globalists need to stop punishing themselves and giving money to a poorly run anti-customer hotel that promises but fails to delivery luxury.
Honestly, the $18 breakfast I got at the restaurant at the HR Tulsa a couple days ago was better than any $50 breakfast I have gotten at PH NY. Last time I stayed at PHNY, they couldn't seem to figure out how to serve the toast warm and the butter at a spreadable temp.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
From all the feedback looks like I will be saving a potential TSU in the future, and I agree with others that PHNY is no doubt Hyatt's flagship in NYC but not worth going out of your way to stay there.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Different experience

I have stayed here three times in the last three years for 4 night point stays and have always received a one bedroom suite with my TSU applied. Never have I begged , been treated poorly or presented with an up charge. The only issue for me has always been the lack of a decent restaurant. I’ve never even enjoyed the bar/ lounge for breakfast, finding the service lacking and tasteless food. I’ve been told by another Hyatt GM that this is union issue at this hotel.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Doing a single night later this week, my first time here since our honeymoon in 2017. Back then we had booked a standard suite and got an upgrade to a one bedroom city view. Think it was a combo of certificates from the changeover from HGP and a suite upgrade award.
Loved every minute of our stay then, and based on that experience, PHNY remains my #4 favorite.
I've splurged with points on a one bedroom city view suite this time too, though I'm wondering if a further upgrade is worthwhile. Hotel offered rates of $250 to move to a Terrace suite, or $1400 to move to the Sky Terrace suite. I know I'm not going to pay that much for the Sky Terrace, but considering taking the $250 offer to see what the Terrrace Suite is about.

Any thoughts?
TIA.
I stayed in the Sky Terrace Suite for 3 nights last year during the summer. I believe the only difference between the Sky Terrace Suite and the Terrace Suite is that the Sky Terrace has an open air view whereas the Terrace Suites have rooms above you. For that price difference I'd definitely go with the Terrace Suite instead. The interior layouts are the same. With that being said, it's really cold out in NYC now. Would you really even use the terrace anyway? I'd stick to what you have, if it was a warm weather stay then the terrace would make sense.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:42 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Doing a single night later this week, my first time here since our honeymoon in 2017. Back then we had booked a standard suite and got an upgrade to a one bedroom city view. Think it was a combo of certificates from the changeover from HGP and a suite upgrade award.
Loved every minute of our stay then, and based on that experience, PHNY remains my #4 favorite.
I've splurged with points on a one bedroom city view suite this time too, though I'm wondering if a further upgrade is worthwhile. Hotel offered rates of $250 to move to a Terrace suite, or $1400 to move to the Sky Terrace suite. I know I'm not going to pay that much for the Sky Terrace, but considering taking the $250 offer to see what the Terrrace Suite is about.

Any thoughts?
TIA.
After the StR Maldives, we expect you to book these type of rooms and report back
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
I stayed in the Sky Terrace Suite for 3 nights last year during the summer. I believe the only difference between the Sky Terrace Suite and the Terrace Suite is that the Sky Terrace has an open air view whereas the Terrace Suites have rooms above you. For that price difference I'd definitely go with the Terrace Suite instead. The interior layouts are the same. With that being said, it's really cold out in NYC now. Would you really even use the terrace anyway? I'd stick to what you have, if it was a warm weather stay then the terrace would make sense.
Don't know it'd be likely I use the terrace much, if at all. Makes me second guess my booking at HC TS the following day, which is a Premier Terrace Suite, albeit seems like the room is still the largest of them anyway, so might still be of value to me.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
After the StR Maldives, we expect you to book these type of rooms and report back
LOL. I've got plenty of high tier suites in my future, but none are gonna be able to match that one.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
4 people, one room?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some quick advice from the expert crowd here. Globalist here, considering last minute hotel change to the PH NY, Dec29-Jan1. We are two adults, two teens - and with the 45K points per night, I'd love to just book one room - and someone was mentioning breakfast for four here. I'd be ok paying for a (smaller) upgrade beyond what I'll get so accommodate the 4 of us vs. using another 45K/night.

Is that at all possible or should I just bite the bullet and book two rooms (I do have a lot of points, but heck, even the PH Maldives was only 35K per night).
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by hilmar
Hi all,

I'm looking for some quick advice from the expert crowd here. Globalist here, considering last minute hotel change to the PH NY, Dec29-Jan1. We are two adults, two teens - and with the 45K points per night, I'd love to just book one room - and someone was mentioning breakfast for four here. I'd be ok paying for a (smaller) upgrade beyond what I'll get so accommodate the 4 of us vs. using another 45K/night.

Is that at all possible or should I just bite the bullet and book two rooms (I do have a lot of points, but heck, even the PH Maldives was only 35K per night).
Which hotel would you be moving from?
Might call the hotel directly for a quick answer. You'd probably need two rollarounds, and they told me those need to be secured ahead of time (was considering bringing a friend). If they'll let you do it, it might be a tight squeeze, but not the end of the world.

Looks like a Studio Suite upgrade should only run ~$300, and that might give you a bit more space.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Which hotel would you be moving from?
Might call the hotel directly for a quick answer. You'd probably need two rollarounds, and they told me those need to be secured ahead of time (was considering bringing a friend). If they'll let you do it, it might be a tight squeeze, but not the end of the world.

Looks like a Studio Suite upgrade should only run ~$300, and that might give you a bit more space.
I'd be moving from the Holiday Inn Express Time Square south. IHG had a crazy sale, got two rooms for nearly free, didn't actually look at the rooms (which apparently are 130 sq ft) until yesterday... Good advice on contacting them, I'll try that. Thank you.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:53 am

Since I opted not to pay for the terrace, the hotel decided to tease me:

More info about the stay to follow.
platbrownguy and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.