Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

grand hyatt kauai or andaz maui ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz

I'm planning a trip to Hawaii with my folks in May 2015. We like quiet shallow water beaches, and quiet places. Beach lounge chairs are a must. We really want to stay away from any sort of noise, parties, and (god forbid) pools with party music. I'd love some off-shore snorkeling near my resort, but that's not a requirement. I'm drawn to Kauai for the nature, but we would spend most of our time at the resort, and it sounds like the beach at the Andaz Maui would better suit our preferences.

Given our tastes, which property would you recommend?

(Sorry if this is a duplicate thread - I looked but couldn't find one. Mods please merge I'm being redundant.)
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:49 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
I'm planning a trip to Hawaii with my folks in May 2015. We like quiet shallow water beaches, and quiet places. Beach lounge chairs are a must. We really want to stay away from any sort of noise, parties, and (god forbid) pools with party music. I'd love some off-shore snorkeling near my resort, but that's not a requirement. I'm drawn to Kauai for the nature, but we would spend most of our time at the resort, and it sounds like the beach at the Andaz Maui would better suit our preferences.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate thread - I looked but couldn't find one. Mods please merge I'm being redundant.)
This is the first thread of its kind.

I've been to GH Kauai but not to the Andaz Maui (upcoming trip in Aug/Sept to both).

But based on your preferences, the GH Kauai doesn't really work. The beach is small and water rough and there aren't really beach lounge chairs (but there are a couple of cabana type and beach loungers with a hood for rental),

However, there is no party music at the GH while there were some reports of such at Andaz (not recently though).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:35 pm

I'd like to know also

Since it's been a few years since we've be to GHK, and never been to Maui,, we're a low maint "diamond" family... In past we've rented condo in Princeville for a week then did Poipu for 5 days. Thinking about going at end of August.
TIA
Carolyn
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
Andaz based on your requirements

I would read the Andaz Maui thread and reviews. I have been to both and like both very much - but for different reasons.

The beach, snorkeling, lounging at the Andaz would meet your needs...though it was quite windy when I was there in January.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
As many times as you mention quiet, Andaz is more likely up your alley. Also, GH Kauai does not really have a swimable beach. Andaz has a snorkeling area right where you want to be, albeit there's a running joke about the shark attacks there.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by sam_goh
there's a running joke about the shark attacks there.
What!?!?!? Sharks? Is that an issue, or just a joke.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably neither based on your requirements...
Andaz has a beach but the resort is small and does not have the vegetation and landscaping to deliver island tranquility feel...
Maybe hr maui offers a somewhat scaled down compromise or perhaps other chains...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
What!?!?!? Sharks? Is that an issue, or just a joke.
Sharks are an issue no matter where you are in the ocean, even in NYC They are no more a problem in Hawaii than anywhere else.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Well, I have eniugh points for one of those two properties, so it will be one or the other. Vegetation isn't a deal breaker... literal silence is, no pool parties or the like.

The Andaz sounds like the best choice for us.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Well, I have eniugh points for one of those two properties, so it will be one or the other. Vegetation isn't a deal breaker... literal silence is, no pool parties or the like.

The Andaz sounds like the best choice for us.
There weren't any pool parties or anything during our time at the GH Kauai, but there were lots and lots of children. They run around and make lots of noise and from my experience they do this at almost all the resorts in Hawaii. My wife and I don't really mind children and now we have one of our own, so Hawaii works for us. But in all honesty, if silence or tranquility is important to you I would use your points elsewhere.

Hawaii is a big honeymoon destination, but I think it's even more of a family vacation destination. I think you might enjoy the new Andaz in Costa Rica better based on what you're looking for and your wish to use Hyatt points.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:26 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

I've stayed at both, and loved both. The Kauai property is busier with families. The pools are beautiful in Kauai, but not quiet usually thanks to lots of happy kids.

The Andaz property likely won't have as many happy (or unhappy) kids, but probably has some. They did have some pool music when they first opened, but not sure if that has changed or not. I've certainly read less about it in recent months. The beach there was tons better than the Kauai property.

Given what you shared, I would go with the Andaz, but don't expect silence, as other than maybe very early in the morning, you likely won't get it. There is an adult pool that may be quieter, but probably still not silent some of the time.

I would take a trip over to nearby Little Beach or some other more remote spot for your "quiet time" and enjoy all the Andaz has to offer the rest of the time. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by spgplat21
There weren't any pool parties or anything during our time at the GH Kauai, but there were lots and lots of children. They run around and make lots of noise and from my experience they do this at almost all the resorts in Hawaii. My wife and I don't really mind children and now we have one of our own, so Hawaii works for us. But in all honesty, if silence or tranquility is important to you I would use your points elsewhere.

Hawaii is a big honeymoon destination, but I think it's even more of a family vacation destination. I think you might enjoy the new Andaz in Costa Rica better based on what you're looking for and your wish to use Hyatt points.
This is very dependent upon the time of year you go. In May I would not expect a lot of kids. I've mostly gone in early Nov and there weren't many/any kids to be seen. I've gone in early June, and while there were a few more, it still wasn't crawling with kids.

In the summer and at holidays, I would avoid the place like the plague

That's why I go to Kauai for peace and quiet at the time of year I usually go.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

Neither hotel matches your requirements that well. I've written reviews on both with pics but I can't link to them per FT rules.
Maybe look into the Fairmont Kea Lani?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:06 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Neither hotel matches your requirements that well. I've written reviews on both with pics but I can't link to them per FT rules.
Maybe look into the Fairmont Kea Lani?
You're allowed to link to them provided that you also post a reasonable synopsis here on FT - and not just the link.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by peteropny
You're allowed to link to them provided that you also post a reasonable synopsis here on FT - and not just the link.
Is there a definition of "reasonable synopsis" given?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.