Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt no longer processing BRGs over the phone, new online form

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt no longer processing BRGs over the phone, new online form

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, JAL, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Le Club Accor Platinum
Submitted a BRG claim last night. It's almost midnight now and still no news. Checked the third party website and rate has gone up by 20$ since yesterday. Will be interesting to see how they handle it as it's still 125$ cheaper than Hyatt.com.

It really is a shame that they took away the over the phone BRG option. I rarely used it but when I did I remember thinking that Hyatt was a classy brand for not trying to rip customers off with false BRG policies...

Will give them until tomorrow before I start thinking about moving my business back to IHG.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Charlesatlarge
Submitted a BRG claim last night. It's almost midnight now and still no news. Checked the third party website and rate has gone up by 20$ since yesterday. Will be interesting to see how they handle it as it's still 125$ cheaper than Hyatt.com.

It really is a shame that they took away the over the phone BRG option. I rarely used it but when I did I remember thinking that Hyatt was a classy brand for not trying to rip customers off with false BRG policies...

Will give them until tomorrow before I start thinking about moving my business back to IHG.
Still better than IHG, which doesn't reply until it feels like it.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Still better than IHG, which doesn't reply until it feels like it.
I will give you that. Five days and counting on an IHG BRG claim here...
Old May 29, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, JAL, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Le Club Accor Platinum
Quick update: It took them 26 hours but they honored the best rate even if it was no longer available on the third party website (as per the screenshot I included with the claim form).

I would've have preferred to talk with a live agent but if they honor based on the screenshots then it's still better than most BRG programs out there.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:51 am

Cancellation Policy

Has anybody submitted a claim for a non-refundable reservation before booking? I have a valid claim possibility with a OTA offering a lower non-refundable rate than Hyatt. If I submit a claim without booking a reservation what happens? Do they make a reservation and somehow request immediate payment? They wouldn't possibly charge my credit card on file upon approval of the lower non-refundable rate would they? I would think that you must approve the rate first...
Old May 29, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Data point on denial: I just had a denial for a rate I still see. Email claims they see a totally different rate. This is a hotel and site I've used previously for BRG over the phone and it got approved.

Email claims the rate they see is $2061.04 on onhotels.com and the rate I see (and screencapped) is $1105.28. I did a double check and I'm still getting the rate I quoted. On the phone I could walk them through it but that's no longer possible. So for me this process is getting off to a bad start!!!

ETA: I tried to respond to the denial email and they have it set up to where the guest's email is in the return box so the response was sent straight to me. Very bad move Hyatt. At least with Marriott and SPG you can respond to appeal.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by tringer2103
Has anybody submitted a claim for a non-refundable reservation before booking? I have a valid claim possibility with a OTA offering a lower non-refundable rate than Hyatt. If I submit a claim without booking a reservation what happens? Do they make a reservation and somehow request immediate payment? They wouldn't possibly charge my credit card on file upon approval of the lower non-refundable rate would they? I would think that you must approve the rate first...
They approve the rate and tell you to call them within 24 hours to make the reservation.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Data point on denial: I just had a denial for a rate I still see. Email claims they see a totally different rate. This is a hotel and site I've used previously for BRG over the phone and it got approved.

Email claims the rate they see is $2061.04 on onhotels.com and the rate I see (and screencapped) is $1105.28. I did a double check and I'm still getting the rate I quoted. On the phone I could walk them through it but that's no longer possible. So for me this process is getting off to a bad start!!!

ETA: I tried to respond to the denial email and they have it set up to where the guest's email is in the return box so the response was sent straight to me. Very bad move Hyatt. At least with Marriott and SPG you can respond to appeal.
Call them at 800.323.7249.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Charlesatlarge
Quick update: It took them 26 hours but they honored the best rate even if it was no longer available on the third party website (as per the screenshot I included with the claim form).

I would've have preferred to talk with a live agent but if they honor based on the screenshots then it's still better than most BRG programs out there.
Nope. And this is after waiting for 28 hours...

"I have reviewed your claim and determined that, based on the rates being higher on [comparison site], this reservation is not eligible for our Best Rate Guarantee. If you have reserved a reservation, the booking is still confirmed at the original rates held. Should you like to make any changes or cancellations, please contact our Hyatt Reservations Office at 800 233 1234 (from within the US and Canada)."

Update: Called in and they refused to do anything. Told me to reply to the email or submit a new claim.

Last edited by lawyertalk; May 29, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
I never got around to calling, but I re-submitted my claim about an hour ago with a new reservation. I gave very specific instructions on how to find the rate. Hopefully this time they will get it right.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:30 am

Well, just had a BRG approved but at a significantly higher rate than the one I found. This is just going to make me submit far more BRGs than I would have in the past.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by lawyertalk
They approve the rate and tell you to call them within 24 hours to make the reservation.
I just got a BRG approved and the email said to call within 24 but didn't provide any phone number! Should the 800.323.7249 number mentioned upthread work for that?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:38 pm

This is the most negative change Hyatt has made since taking away FFN. Since the new change, I've had 1 approval and 3 denials. All were in comparison with onhotels where the agent always seems to find higher rates than what I send them. Then I go back through and find the same rates that I sent the first time. I think the issue might be tied to my comparison site (onhotels.com). I sent the exact same directions in all 4 tries but I was denied on 75% of the claims despite me finding the rate before and after denial. All were at the same hotel and for dates within the next month.

I'm guessing Hyatt is getting what it wants -- a reduction of BRG approvals, but is that really worth the customer good will it's costing them? I'm moving those three stays to Marriott. The rate was $80 better for a comparable property. With an approved BRG the Hyatt rate would have been close to Marriott but without it's just not worth it, especially with top tier status in both programs.

I had great success with the program in its former form but am looking at terrible success with the new way. Despite having the same format, both Marriott and SPG BRG's have proven much better for me. If this keeps up, I may drop to Platinum after next year.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I don't mind the change. Perhaps that's because on my first attempt with Hyatt I got a $299 a night hotel reduced to $85.

I sent in the request last night and it was approved by the morning.

I've always been put off by having to spend ages on the phone with Hyatt and reports of agents doing their best to not find the competing rate...
I was just rejected for the Best rate guarantee at Hyatt for the following reason (which makes no sense):

"I have reviewed your claim and determined that, based on hoteltravel.com requiring a membership to book on their site, this reservation is not eligible for our Best Rate Guarantee."
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

The correct place to discuss BRG is at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...read-wiki.html .

Rather than merge this rather lengthy thread into that one, I'll just lock this one.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.