Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Transferability of Free Award Nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Prem Plat

I'm sorry if this is already posted elsewhere, but after searching around for 20mins I haven't come across the information I'm looking for..

My wife and I will be using free award nights from the Chase Visa for an upcoming trip to Japan. My mother also has 2 free award nights from her Chase Visa and they expire at the end of Feb. I know that award nights are not supposed to be transferable, but does anyone have any experience getting around this rule? We will be meeting a friend and it'd be great if we could book 2 rooms for a few of the nights...do you think we could book 1 night with one of our awards and then a second room with one of my mother's expiring certs? Perhaps we could say that her flight was changed/delayed/cancelled/etc. and we'd still be able to access the 2nd room? Or perhaps my wife could pretend to check in as her? If neither of these options work, do you think the worst case scenario would be them just cancelling the reservation? Or perhaps they'd charge her for the full night as a cancellation penalty??

Any/all insights appreciated -- thanks!!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So essentially you are looking for ways to scam Hyatt? Non transferable means exactly that....
You can probably get a one month extension for the free night but that's the max you can do. Should suffice to find a hotel for your mother to enjoy of free stay.

Last edited by RTW1; Feb 18, 2014 at 8:59 am
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:13 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Your workaround is more likely to work at a domestic property than an international one. But less likely at an international property where they may, and IIRC they do in Japan, where they ask for your passport at checkin.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Prem Plat
Forgot to reply back to this thread, but thank you for the insights! In the end, my mother called Hyatt and they did extend the validity of her free nights for +1 month -- perfect! As for our visit in Japan, we very much enjoyed a mix of free night awards and revenue stays at PH Tokyo, GH Tokyo, HR Osaka and HR Kyoto -- the experience was actually enough to make me decide to go with Hyatt now over SPG (also glad to have completed a Diamond challenge just before the visit that was well worth it)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.