Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crème brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
A standard room is what you can book with point, correct? How come sometimes "Forest view king" is also available for 15,000 points? The resort appears to be sold out of standard rooms for all the dates I've looked at in March (Forest view is available for cash but not points), but on some other random dates I see standard and/or forest view available for 15,000. I'm guessing there's no chance I could call and get them to book me into the forest view on points in March?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by waterandwoods
A standard room is what you can book with point, correct? How come sometimes "Forest view king" is also available for 15,000 points? The resort appears to be sold out of standard rooms for all the dates I've looked at in March (Forest view is available for cash but not points), but on some other random dates I see standard and/or forest view available for 15,000. I'm guessing there's no chance I could call and get them to book me into the forest view on points in March?
I'd first trying calling WoH and asking them to book the room. If they can't, ask them to reach out to property to open up availability. There's not that many of the base rooms. Best I can tell, the higher floor roughly equates to better view / class of room (e.g., 2nd floor is partial bay, 3rd floor is full bay).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
I'd first trying calling WoH and asking them to book the room. If they can't, ask them to reach out to property to open up availability. There's not that many of the base rooms. Best I can tell, the higher floor roughly equates to better view / class of room (e.g., 2nd floor is partial bay, 3rd floor is full bay).
Thanks, I'll probably give it a try but not expecting much. I don't blame them for making more rooms available on points when the resort is $200-300 a night vs. $700+. I'm also considering a new strategy -- going in the off-season. Has anyone been in late November? Is it extremely rainy then?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:07 pm

Thanks, I'll probably give it a try but not expecting much. I don't blame them for making more rooms available on points when the resort is $200-300 a night vs. $700+. I'm also considering a new strategy -- going in the off-season. Has anyone been in late November? Is it extremely rainy then?
I went right at a month ago now in mid August, which is right in the middle green/rain season. It was delightful. Things are more lush, and even when it rains it's just briefly, not all day. Locals say it's their favorite time and quite a few of the guests were from San Juan who could come anytime. They said it's just a little hotter than other times, but I was comfortable (granted I'm from Texas). The Internetz says average rainfall peaks in september but in november is lower than when I went, so I'd say go!

Stayed on points the whole time. They bumped me up to full bay view. Two of the building were closed for renovations (they cycle them in off season), so not as many suites, etc available for upgrade. Get ready to walk alot. Food is pricey (more than standard resort pricing) but good. We rented a car for the stay and we enjoyed having transportation to explore elsewhere a day or two.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:14 pm

we went thanksgiving week. Weather was fantastic, I don’t recall a drop of rain in 5 days.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:36 am

I went right at a month ago now in mid August, which is right in the middle green/rain season. It was delightful. Things are more lush, and even when it rains it's just briefly, not all day. Locals say it's their favorite time and quite a few of the guests were from San Juan who could come anytime. They said it's just a little hotter than other times, but I was comfortable (granted I'm from Texas). The Internetz says average rainfall peaks in september but in november is lower than when I went, so I'd say go!

Stayed on points the whole time. They bumped me up to full bay view. Two of the building were closed for renovations (they cycle them in off season), so not as many suites, etc available for upgrade. Get ready to walk alot. Food is pricey (more than standard resort pricing) but good. We rented a car for the stay and we enjoyed having transportation to explore elsewhere a day or two.
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

we went thanksgiving week. Weather was fantastic, I don’t recall a drop of rain in 5 days.
Great information, thanks so much. A November trip is looking more and more appealing.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:53 am

Hi Everyone,

Thinking of booking a trip here for my parents. My mom isn't the most mobile (she can walk, but not really far and can't do a lot of stairs). I know she would have to make use of the golf carts around the resort and wouldn't be able to go to the beach on the property, but I have a question about the beach house since I was there before it opened. Is it very far from where the golf carts drop you off to the beach? Any hills or stairs? Thanks in advance
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by bjk497
Hi Everyone,

Thinking of booking a trip here for my parents. My mom isn't the most mobile (she can walk, but not really far and can't do a lot of stairs). I know she would have to make use of the golf carts around the resort and wouldn't be able to go to the beach on the property, but I have a question about the beach house since I was there before it opened. Is it very far from where the golf carts drop you off to the beach? Any hills or stairs? Thanks in advance
The golf carts drop you off right in front of the beach house structure (restaurant, bathrooms, etc). The water's edge is at most a couple hundred feet behind that. No stairs, a step or two at most. Not hilly. Maybe a tad rocky poking out between the sand on way to water, but you can easily navigate a smooth path around.

You'll probably want them to put your mom on the entry floor of the buildings which they should be able to do as these aren't the high demand rooms (the upper floors are partial / full bay view).

Last edited by ClarkGriswold; Jan 12, 2019 at 9:39 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:16 am

The golf carts drop you off right in front of the beach house structure (restaurant, bathrooms, etc). The water's edge is at most a couple hundred feet behind that. No stairs, a step or two at most. Not hilly. Maybe a tad rocky poking out between the sand on way to water, but you can easily navigate a smooth path around.

You'll probably want them to put your mom on the entry floor of the buildings which you should be able to do as these aren't the high demand room (the upper floors are partial / full bay view).
Thank you!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Hi -
Lots of great info in this thread/wiki - thanks to everyone for contributing, We're excited to have a family trip booked here in mid-Feb and have a few questions about the beach situation as the Andaz is on the bay side.

Have heard that Prieta Beach is still accessible if you're ok with taking the shuttle, then 750 steps to and from (and no club service) the beach - is this a giant pain? Does anyone know if Andaz guests can take the free shuttle to the Four Seasons and use the ocean facing beach (and vice versa)? How does the Andaz Beach Club compare? Any recs for snorkeling in the area?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by gunksny
Hi -
Lots of great info in this thread/wiki - thanks to everyone for contributing, We're excited to have a family trip booked here in mid-Feb and have a few questions about the beach situation as the Andaz is on the bay side.

Have heard that Prieta Beach is still accessible if you're ok with taking the shuttle, then 750 steps to and from (and no club service) the beach - is this a giant pain? Does anyone know if Andaz guests can take the free shuttle to the Four Seasons and use the ocean facing beach (and vice versa)? How does the Andaz Beach Club compare? Any recs for snorkeling in the area?

Thanks!
The free shuttle drops one off at a formal shuttle stop at the beginning of the stairway path to Prieta Beach. There is even an outdoor shower there. Not a pain, but a bit of a climb out. Snorkeling there can be outstanding if there is no to light wind with some mini underwater canyons. Best place is on the west side of the beach against the rocks. With wind the water can be very cloudy. We we're 1 for 3 on good conditions. We're staying our whole trip at El Diria Tamarindo starting tomorrow, but there is no snorkeling there, but some a little to the north, west of Brasalito.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
The free shuttle drops one off at a formal shuttle stop at the beginning of the stairway path to Prieta Beach. There is even an outdoor shower there. Not a pain, but a bit of a climb out. Snorkeling there can be outstanding if there is no to light wind with some mini underwater canyons. Best place is on the west side of the beach against the rocks. With wind the water can be very cloudy. We we're 1 for 3 on good conditions. We're staying our whole trip at El Diria Tamarindo starting tomorrow, but there is no snorkeling there, but some a little to the north, west of Brasalito.
Thanks, will definitely check Preita out for snorkeling.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether to rent a car vs tours from the hotel? Ideally we will spend a few days relaxing at the resort combined with a few day trips to the hot springs, volcano, hiking etc.

Any other suggestions on family adventures / dining in the Papagayo Peninsula area?

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
The highlight of all our trips has been our visits to the Palo Verde National Park through Palo Verde
It’s about an hour drive east of Ortega. A visit to Rincon Vieja would also be a good choice with lots of options for the family. If traveling with the family, going in a rental car would save you some money for these options.

Last edited by 236Dakota; Jan 27, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
The highlight of all our trips has been our visits to the Palo Verde National Park through Palo Verde
It’s about an hour drive east of Ortega. A visit to Rincon Vieja would also be a good choice whit lots of options for the family. If traveling with the family, going in a rental car would save you some money for these options.
i had a car just for the transfers from the airport and the drive to Ortega, where I was met by Palo Verde boat tours. It was a little cheaper that other options, But you could get that tour with a pickup at the hotel (more money and travel time).

Tour was awesome.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum
Review and lessons learned from globalist Family of Five

just returned from a week at the property and as a Globalist that has stayed at Hyatt’s throughout the world including all Ziva properties, this resort was the best Hyatt property in terms of service, value, amenities, and activities for families.

I am already looking to return next year at this time for a week bringing more families.

Overall, a couple of things to consider and share for those planning a trip:

1. We rented a car from Adobe. Not sure about other locations but it was super easy and reasonably priced as it gave us free car seats for our two younger kids. Given the cost of the shuttle, we stayed for a week and out family of 5 saved money renting a 7 passenger SUV we took to local spots on top of just getting to the resort.

2. The service at the hotel is fantastic. Breakfast is a buffet and very busy and to echo other thoughts, service is slow. For our morning latte we would walk up and order it from the barista at the breakfast rather than wait for our server and found this to work well.

3. The kids club didn’t have an hour lunch break. This is critical as we were able to even have them take our kids to lunch. We didn’t leave the property but did enjoy being alone for the day. One downside is that unlike the kids club at the Hyatt Ziva Cancun, they don’t take the kids to a pool or outside much at all. Still the kids enjoyed a break and we ended up taking them there for a couple of hours each day. If they are reading this, I humbly suggest you include taking kids to the beach or pool as part of an activity for the week at kids club

4. the beaches are great. We found snorkeling to be ok due to poor visibility and lack of coral reefs but the sand quality of the beach was good and depths perfect for kids swimming. Also, on the main resort there are two beaches you can walk to and the second is essentially deserted. Spent a lot of time there and found snorkeling to be better. The beach house was great and recommend instead of the shuttle take the boat that leaves from the main beach. On one day at 9:30am was saw a pair of eagle rays and another day a sea turtle from the boat.

5. The cost of the food for the resort is comparable to going to dinner anywhere else tourists are. Specifically we went to Tamarindo thinking dinner would be cheaper and spent more than at the resort for our family.

6. Go to Walmart. It is in Liberia and easy to get to. Stock up on beer and snacks and lunch food items if you want to save money. We did this and bought bread and peanut butter and chips and would have the kids eat this during lunch on and off the resort. For hard alcohol, the cost at the duty free in Liberia was $10 cheaper for a large bottle of vodka than in the US duty free . One note is that smoking is really discouraged so if you are looking for cigars, Costa Rica isn’t the place to find them.

7. Staff is phenomenal. At dinner, poolside, the beach and front desk everyone is amazing and very courteous and helpful. I would recommend ordering ice for your homemade cocktails before dinner when you return to your room as it can take a long time or not arrive at all if you order ice after 7pm.

8. Snow cones are great for kids and the coconut flavoring plus crouched ice and vodka is great for adults too

9. Adult only pool is nice but not much different aside from no kids than the kids pool. The best time to be poolside is in the morning when there isn’t much shade and then go to the beach in the afternoon.

10. Bugs. We didn’t have any. I mean literally no mosquitos. We were there now during the dry season but I regret packing bug spray as I never used it even when we went to the cloud forest and other off property sites. I don’t know if we were lucky but it was impressive. We sat outside at night too after dark on the balcony and never had a bug. Really nice.

11. The hills. People make a big deal about this but honestly I was scared it was going to be bad. Yes it is on a hill but unless you are unable to walk a half mile without being winded you will be fine. And in that case golf carts are running all the time. I found the walking to be a nice offset to my eating and drinking

12. Suites and families. Ours is a family of 5. With three kids we basically require a suite with connecting room or two connecting rooms. One thing to note is that while I was upgraded to the Andaz Suite where the Hyatt website talks about a second bedroom, the suite doesn’t directly connect to a second bedroom.

To be clear, what they have is an ability for you to have two rooms next door to each other - the suite and another guest room, and then you have a third door to the public that can be locked and secured.

Here is is the problem parents of small kids: unlike a normal suite with an adjoining bedroom that a kid can walk from their bed to yours without issue, here they have to leave their locked bedroom and figure out how to get into your locked hotel room. The kicker here, is that if you were to leave the door unlocked and partially open, the air conditioning will not run. Therefore, we had to MacGyver open the doors by using my kids tape (don’t ask) to then prevent the lock on the door from actually engaging. Essentially the door was closed for the air conditioning to continue to run, but they could just push the door open and enter our hotel room. This worked successfully six of our seven nights, until one night my wife decided to read a story to the children and the tape gave way so she was locked out of our room and despite repeated knocking, phone calls, and trying to reach me on my cell phone, I pleasantly slept through it all and woke up at 6:30 AM the next morning to find a very angry spouse in the room next door.

Overall, can’t say enough great things about this place and can’t wait to apply lessons learned for next year.
wizzy, CLG, 59Impala and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.