Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crème brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Originally Posted by Milano Suprano
Wow! I thought I was doing great saving 45k points.... your 210k is amazing! Congrats
The Hyatt phone rep who rebooked me was blown away...I figure it gotta be some kind of record. I mean starting out at 525k is rare enough considering how hard Hyatt points are to generate from actual stays.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Some additional thoughts about the hotel, the airport, etc.

The living room area in the Andaz Suite is hermetically sealed. This means that if the glass doors (on the wall of windows and glass "railing") are open, the A/C will turn off automatically. Of course, not many people will use these doors, as they lead to nothing, so the problem happens when the door does not fully seal because of the wind or some other reason. Our unit clicked on and off throughout the night until I opened and "firmly shut" the door.

Speaking of A/C units, our roof-mounted fans for our suite stopped working one day and the room temperatures peaked around 88 degrees. We contacted the front desk and maintenance showed up within 3-5 minutes and fixed the issue within about 30 minutes. I learned a few tricks from this visit. Like a lot of home thermostats, you can press the up and down arrows at the same time for a few seconds to activate the configuration options.

All food at the hotel incurs a 10% sales tax and a 13% service fee. I'm not sure if the latter is meant as a tip to the back staff and your waitress/waiter, but I typically left an additional tip. Some people may choose not to do so. Also worth mentioning is that the open-air restaurants on the property may not be ideal for dinner. There are mosquitoes, gnats, and other bugs that are abundant in the restaurants. As it becomes rampant Dengue season, I'd opt for room service. Since they include the same taxes and fees whether you're dining in the restaurant or in the room, it makes it an easier decision to opt for room service if you normally would avoid it due to the price markups. In fact, we found that certain popular meals, such as the cheeseburger, was actually cheaper via room service. Of course, there is a limited menu for room service.

For the early morning AA/US flights, the Liberia airport (doors, extradition/departure tax office, AA desks) opens just prior to 4am. While I won't say that you don't need to arrive two hours before your flight, it has been suggested that you do not. There are perhaps 75 passengers in the airport prior to 6am, so it doesn't take much to go through extradition, check-in, and security. If you arrive prior to 4am, security does not open until 4am on the dot. Since we arrived early, we were second in line on our departure date. There are two food options - Player's Cafe (sports bar/diner and convenience kiosk) and Quiznos. Player's opens at 4am. Quiznos opens between 4am and 4:30am. If you decide to eat at Player's, you can find a large portion of their menu at the convenience area and save yourself the mandatory 13% service fee that is apparently common in Costa Rica.

I would advise those of you who are not as easily entertained as my wife about the idea of laying out next to the pool or on the beach to book some excursions or rent a car and make your own adventures. I personally get bored by the idea of "relaxing" while on vacation (for whatever reason), so I was forced to unwind and enjoy the peacefulness of the property. I'm not complaining, to be perfectly honest. However, it may have been good to book one additional excursion (beyond the one we booked on our second day).

Also, if you plan to stay on the property, bug repellent is only required during certain times of the year. This is primarily during the wet season when the bugs (specifically the mosquitoes) are out. If you plan to venture off the property for excursions, you may need the repellent during all times of the year. The "better safe than sorry" rule certainly applies to all scenarios, so be prepared just in case. We purchased some Repel 100 (98% Deet) from Wal-Mart before we left, although there are homeopathic options available as well (for kids and people who are not keen on the idea of using a strong chemical like Deet).
Old May 7, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jibi
Some additional thoughts about the hotel, the airport, etc.

The living room area in the Andaz Suite is hermetically sealed. This means that if the glass doors (on the wall of windows and glass "railing") are open, the A/C will turn off automatically. Of course, not many people will use these doors, as they lead to nothing, so the problem happens when the door does not fully seal because of the wind or some other reason. Our unit clicked on and off throughout the night until I opened and "firmly shut" the door.

Speaking of A/C units, our roof-mounted fans for our suite stopped working one day and the room temperatures peaked around 88 degrees. We contacted the front desk and maintenance showed up within 3-5 minutes and fixed the issue within about 30 minutes. I learned a few tricks from this visit. Like a lot of home thermostats, you can press the up and down arrows at the same time for a few seconds to activate the configuration options.

All food at the hotel incurs a 10% sales tax and a 13% service fee. I'm not sure if the latter is meant as a tip to the back staff and your waitress/waiter, but I typically left an additional tip. Some people may choose not to do so. Also worth mentioning is that the open-air restaurants on the property may not be ideal for dinner. There are mosquitoes, gnats, and other bugs that are abundant in the restaurants. As it becomes rampant Dengue season, I'd opt for room service. Since they include the same taxes and fees whether you're dining in the restaurant or in the room, it makes it an easier decision to opt for room service if you normally would avoid it due to the price markups. In fact, we found that certain popular meals, such as the cheeseburger, was actually cheaper via room service. Of course, there is a limited menu for room service.

For the early morning AA/US flights, the Liberia airport (doors, extradition/departure tax office, AA desks) opens just prior to 4am. While I won't say that you don't need to arrive two hours before your flight, it has been suggested that you do not. There are perhaps 75 passengers in the airport prior to 6am, so it doesn't take much to go through extradition, check-in, and security. If you arrive prior to 4am, security does not open until 4am on the dot. Since we arrived early, we were second in line on our departure date. There are two food options - Player's Cafe (sports bar/diner and convenience kiosk) and Quiznos. Player's opens at 4am. Quiznos opens between 4am and 4:30am. If you decide to eat at Player's, you can find a large portion of their menu at the convenience area and save yourself the mandatory 13% service fee that is apparently common in Costa Rica.

I would advise those of you who are not as easily entertained as my wife about the idea of laying out next to the pool or on the beach to book some excursions or rent a car and make your own adventures. I personally get bored by the idea of "relaxing" while on vacation (for whatever reason), so I was forced to unwind and enjoy the peacefulness of the property. I'm not complaining, to be perfectly honest. However, it may have been good to book one additional excursion (beyond the one we booked on our second day).

Also, if you plan to stay on the property, bug repellent is only required during certain times of the year. This is primarily during the wet season when the bugs (specifically the mosquitoes) are out. If you plan to venture off the property for excursions, you may need the repellent during all times of the year. The "better safe than sorry" rule certainly applies to all scenarios, so be prepared just in case. We purchased some Repel 100 (98% Deet) from Wal-Mart before we left, although there are homeopathic options available as well (for kids and people who are not keen on the idea of using a strong chemical like Deet).
Hey Jibi,
Thanks for the update. Going there in about a month, so was hoping you (or anyone else thats been there) could help with a few questions.

1. Do they sell snacks and or/beer at the duty free shop in Liberia? If it does, we could bypass a separate trip to a grocery.

2. Any specials or happy hours that are available at the restaurants?

3. Any extra benefits for Diamonds besides free breakfast and possible better room?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 7, 2014, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by ajshin27
Hey Jibi,
Thanks for the update. Going there in about a month, so was hoping you (or anyone else thats been there) could help with a few questions.

1. Do they sell snacks and or/beer at the duty free shop in Liberia? If it does, we could bypass a separate trip to a grocery.

2. Any specials or happy hours that are available at the restaurants?

3. Any extra benefits for Diamonds besides free breakfast and possible better room?

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes, the duty free is likely your best option. According to the LIR website, "There is also a duty free shop available for departing adn arriving passengers." With that said, there's also a liquor store on the way to the hotel that you can stop at for drinks, snacks, etc. A large coke (perhaps a 3-liter, but I'm not sure) and a case of water (12 or so) cost around $18 USD, so keep that in mind. I did not pay attention to beer and liquor costs. I see that certain grocery stores are recommended, but they are not necessary (although I cannot competently compare the prices at duty free vs. a liquor store vs. a grocery store vs. a pharmacy).

2. I don't recall any specials or happy hours at the hotel restaurants (Ostra was closed and we did not visit Chao Pescao). We were given free champagne glasses of sangria while by the pool. We did not really drink that much aside from a few poolside drinks.

3. I'm not sure if this was Diamond-related or not, but we were given a handwritten note, a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates, and a bowl of fruit on arrival. Aside from that, none that I observed. I wanted to see if we could take breakfast in the room one day, but that option never properly presented itself to us for me to ask. Given the time you'll be visiting, you'll almost definitely receive a room upgrade, imo.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
I will be checking in on Sunday, currently at the four season next door and we keep hearing how the Andaz is better.....the four season has been great so far.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:57 pm

I forgot to mention one last thing. The power outlets are standard 3-prong Type B North American plugs. As far as the property is concerned, there is no need for a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oc2005
Wow, fantastic find! I called the Diamond line and they said this was an eligible rate, so I changed my booking to this now and they were able to move over my suite upgrades. This works out to an effective rate of $152 per night now for my 10-night stay (pre tax/resort fee) after factoring in the $100 resort credit plus using my Gift Certs bought at 10% off.

Can you use Gift Certs at this property? I thought gift certs were only for US/Canadian properties.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bacopa
Can you use Gift Certs at this property? I thought gift certs were only for US/Canadian properties.
You can not use gift cards here, but you can use gift check certificates, which are just like gift cards, but are paper certificates rather than cards.

You can see a list of which properties take which type of card/check here:
https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/P...Locations.aspx
then select "Hyatt Check Certificates" and they're listed.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: spg plat Hyatt diamond Marriot gold avis pres club national ex
I used the checks here with no issue.
Old May 16, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelOnMyMind
I used the checks here with no issue.
What was the conversion rate like when they you used the Hyatt checks?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2014, 12:45 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting them to open up points and cash inventory? They have not opened any points and cash inventory from early November to early January, even though they have points availability. Apparently lots of points and cash before this and after this, just not when I want to go!
Was hoping to book 2 rooms points and cash and apply diamond suite upgrades.
Old May 17, 2014, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Has anyone had any luck getting them to open up points and cash inventory? They have not opened any points and cash inventory from early November to early January, even though they have points availability. Apparently lots of points and cash before this and after this, just not when I want to go!
Was hoping to book 2 rooms points and cash and apply diamond suite upgrades.
That is the start of their dry season, so it may be unlikely that it opens up at all for P&C. It will also be much higher rates than what most of us paid this month (down to ~$150/night paid rate), so P&C would be a good value, especially with the recent category change. You may want to contact the hotel and inquire. They generally take a day or two to respond, so don't feel like they're ignoring you if they don't respond the same day.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:48 pm

Thanks, I have an email in to them and will let everyone know what I find out. Rates are $350/night for the base room for my dates, so points or points and cash are both a good deal, but a $650++ suite for $100/night is a really, really good deal!
Old May 21, 2014, 9:04 am

short trip report

Just return from the Papagayo. stayed on points (15k/night). Frankly, a bargain compared with other category 4 hotels. And in summary, I would say book without hesitation, it's a great place.

As others have mentioned, the resort facilities are A+. Sensitive, modern design that fits well into the landscape. The resort is fairly large and set on a hill, if you are out of shape you may find yourself calling on their fleet of golf carts frequently.

we had a bay view king which provided a superb view, also from the walk in shower. all rooms are bay facing although the ones lower down the resort might have views partially blocked by vegetation, not sure.

Staff are fantastic, young, enthusiastic, well-trained. Definitely a highlight. They made a few small mistakes with special requests, but they have a great team spirit and always seemed to make up for each other. congratulations to hyatt.

we didn't eat in much, although we enjoyed the breakfasts and cocktails. again, the staff in both locations were great.

be advised of the location. The hotel is on a peninsula without too much close by except some other beaches. Do not try to use it as a base to see Costa Rica, unless you enjoy punishing 4/5 hour one-way day trips leaving at 0600 and returning at 2200. there is a zip-line facility extremely close-by, and the vieja national park seems doable for a day trip. but arenal, monteverde etc, just book a few nights there then come to andaz!

We had no issues with hiring a car, which was useful to buzz around the area, but mainly to spend a few days in other parts of CR prior to arriving at the Andaz. It's all relative, but we didn't have an issue with the roads and drivers. Just note that there are mostly single carriageway roads and unless you are used to overtaking slower trucks it can take you a while to get anywhere. and, of course, the road to monteverde is unpaved.

weather is apparently variable in may, but was good for our stay.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: spg plat Hyatt diamond Marriot gold avis pres club national ex
What was the conversion rate like when they you used the Hyatt checks?

Thanks
My rates were in dollars,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.