Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Where to use a Hyatt Suite upgrade certificate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I am Hyatt Diamond and have 3 Suite Upgrade certificates that expire in Feb 2014. Then I will get 4 more certificates that will expire in Feb 2015.

Since the certificates require that you purchase a room with cash and then apply the suite upgrade for up to 7 days, where should think about making paid reservations to get a great destination, relatively low room price, but nice suite?

If I look at places like Hyatt in Paris, the room rates are over $700. I'm sure the suite would be fabulous but that is a lot of money per night just to get the suite upgrade.

Where do you recommend I use the certificates to get the sweet spot on room price while applying the suite upgrade?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I am Hyatt Diamond and have 3 Suite Upgrade certificates that expire in Feb 2014. Then I will get 4 more certificates that will expire in Feb 2015.

Since the certificates require that you purchase a room with cash and then apply the suite upgrade for up to 7 days, where should think about making paid reservations to get a great destination, relatively low room price, but nice suite?

If I look at places like Hyatt in Paris, the room rates are over $700. I'm sure the suite would be fabulous but that is a lot of money per night just to get the suite upgrade.

Where do you recommend I use the certificates to get the sweet spot on room price while applying the suite upgrade?
Are you saying that you would choose your city destination by where to best upgrade a room to a suite?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by JackE
Are you saying that you would choose your city destination by where to best upgrade a room to a suite?
It's not *that* crazy. I picked a city based on the need to use the rest of my HHonors points before the recent devaluation.

(Conrad Seoul if you're curious)
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus

Depends how far you are willing to fly, and what you consider "affordable".

In General, I'd say Asia, but I am bias.

The best bang for your buck is usually China for me. HOTB, GH Pek.

Japan GH Fuk

Malaysia GH Kul is nice too.

Aus GH Mel.

In the US, PH DC.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Oct 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grand Hyatt Bali.@:-)

You can find good rates and upgrade to huge Grand Suite.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Plat, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Andaz 5th Ave - upgrade confirms in fantastic Splash Suite

Hyatt on the Bund (Shanghai) - pretty nice
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Hear. hear...
Conrad Tokyo, Bali and Singapore for me

Also keep in mind, those suite upgrades can be used with BRG. If you're willing to do some research, sometimes you got lucky.
Check out this BRG thread

Originally Posted by txflyer77
It's not *that* crazy. I picked a city based on the need to use the rest of my HHonors points before the recent devaluation.

(Conrad Seoul if you're curious)
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JackE
Yes, my family likes to go to new countries and cities for vacation so it makes sense for us to look at using the Hyatt suite upgrades as a starting point for our destination city.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that in some places, the suite upgrade only confirms a junior suite. Also remember that you can't use suite upgrades for free nights or with certain rates.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Well, PH Shanghai is certainly a good place too - one of my favourite suites!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
Grand Hyatt Bali.@:-)

You can find good rates and upgrade to huge Grand Suite.
The suites are really nice at the GH Bali, but the property itself is not impressive. Far too big and impersonal, slow service, overpriced f&b, not at all a nice beach, overcrowded pool areas.

Originally Posted by anpe
Andaz 5th Ave - upgrade confirms in fantastic Splash Suite

Hyatt on the Bund (Shanghai) - pretty nice
With the Andaz 5th Ave they usually upgrade Diamonds to some kind of suite anyway, which is pretty nice and spacious.

I was trying to find this out earlier and also noticed that some of the North Asian destinations offer the best bang for buck!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
GH Kuala Lumpur: good value and huge beautiful suites
PH Tokyo: large suite in iconic hotel
PH Abu Dhabi has great suites, again at a good price
Lots of other options for less special standard suites in Europe (the free minibar and wet bar in German Hyatts is nice).
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
My experiences:

PH Buenos Aires - Park View Suite (+1 level upg given)
GH KL - Executive Suite (+1 level upg given)
PH Seoul - Park Suite
PH Tokyo - Ambassador Suite (+2 level upg)
Andaz WeHo - Suite - More than double the size of a View room and much quieter.
Hyatt Vancouver - Presidential Suite (+? level upg)
PH Dubai - Suite
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that in some places, the suite upgrade only confirms a junior suite. Also remember that you can't use suite upgrades for free nights or with certain rates.
Diamond suite upgrades can be used for almost any rates, and I haven't had issue with them. The rest of what you say is correct.

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Well, PH Shanghai is certainly a good place too - one of my favourite suites!
PH Shanghai isn't that cheap. it is about 400 usd per night

Originally Posted by lsed
My experiences:

PH Buenos Aires - Park View Suite (+1 level upg given)
GH KL - Executive Suite (+1 level upg given)
PH Seoul - Park Suite
PH Tokyo - Ambassador Suite (+2 level upg)
Andaz WeHo - Suite - More than double the size of a View room and much quieter.
Hyatt Vancouver - Presidential Suite (+? level upg)
PH Dubai - Suite
Your experience isn't necessarily reflective and I am a little jealous!

my experience:
GHKL - Grand Suite
PHT - Park Suite
PHS - Park Suite (I consider it a Jr Suite)
HRV - Regency Suite
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Diamond suite upgrades can be used for almost any rates, and I haven't had issue with them. The rest of what you say is correct.
I've never had an issue either, but IIRC rates like Priceline etc. would be excluded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.