FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

honknwave Aug 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 31320423)
They don't need to... as noted just up-thread one can book over one's balance, temporarily, be it because of stated reason "I'm about to earn a boatload" or unstated "I'm just going to down-size to few nights in a day or two".

How exactly do you do this, through Twitter concierge? Calling a rep? Looking to book the 10 nights on points and then reduce down to 7 after the booking, but would rather just have the 7 nights 210k points on the account than 300k.

ZBigFam Aug 15, 2019 8:13 am

Would need to do it through your concierge

jameswes Aug 15, 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by honknwave (Post 31417789)
How exactly do you do this, through Twitter concierge? Calling a rep? Looking to book the 10 nights on points and then reduce down to 7 after the booking, but would rather just have the 7 nights 210k points on the account than 300k.

You should be able to do this through any of the Hyatt support people (Twitter, calling the Globalist #, emailing your concierge, etc).

dblue Sep 13, 2019 1:32 pm

So is it possible to book this hotel for < 10 nights on points? Seems to be conflicting discussion. Do you just call Hyatt support and they can handle the booking?

jameswes Sep 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by dblue (Post 31522081)
So is it possible to book this hotel for < 10 nights on points? Seems to be conflicting discussion. Do you just call Hyatt support and they can handle the booking?

Yes, there are many time periods throughout the year that do not require a 10 day stay to have the award night open up.

Even when it does, it absolutely is possible. If you have 300K points, it's trivially easy :) If you have enough for fewer nights and you're a globalist then it's possible but may take a HUCA or two.

If you have 300K points:
- Find the availability for 10 nights
- Book the 10 nights with points
- Call/Email/Tweet Hyatt support (I highly recommend twitter, they work with everyone even if you don't have globalist or any status). Ask to trim off the unwanted days and you'll get your extra points back momentarily.

If you don't have 300K points, but you have Globalist status it should be doable:
- Call/email/Tweet Globalist support. Explain what you're trying to do. A great agent should be able to do it for you without walking through step-by-step. If not, this is the process
- Ask to book for 10 nights and "borrow" the additional points.
- Then have the agent trim off the extra days you don't need

If you don't have 300K points and you don't have Globalist:
- See if someone will loan you the extra points? You can do a points transfer every 30 days.
- HUCA and try the option above to see if you get someone that is willing/able to help you do what you're trying to do.

bhrubin Sep 13, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm entertained that one of the rare aspirational luxury hotels in WoH in N America has so many limits and creates so much hassle for getting award stays.

UA-NYC Sep 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31522451)
I'm entertained that one of the rare aspirational luxury hotels in WoH in N America has so many limits and creates so much hassle for getting award stays.

Many people who have moved away from Marriott are also entertained that an entire luxury brand in the portfolio (Ritz-Carlton) basically opts out of all elite benefits. And there is basically zero consistency across brands. And the IT is a dumpster fire.

YMMV.

Colin Sep 13, 2019 7:14 pm

it’s all upside for globalists who are now, essentially, the only guests who will be staying for free here

dannygberg Sep 19, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 31522905)
it’s all upside for globalists who are now, essentially, the only guests who will be staying for free here

Not true at all. I'm just a Discoverist and we booked a 3-night stay using points (just got back from the trip a week ago). We also booked 3 nights using points at the Hyatt Regency. About a week before our trip, I noticed there was standard room availability for while we were in Maui. I chatted with Hyatt via Twitter and they moved one of my nights from the HR to the Andaz.

synzero Sep 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dannygberg (Post 31542328)
Not true at all. I'm just a Discoverist and we booked a 3-night stay using points (just got back from the trip a week ago). We also booked 3 nights using points at the Hyatt Regency. About a week before our trip, I noticed there was standard room availability for while we were in Maui. I chatted with Hyatt via Twitter and they moved one of my nights from the HR to the Andaz.

Looks like Hyatt has stepped in and stopped some of these shenanigans these resorts have been trying to pull to get out honoring the points program.

ZBigFam Sep 27, 2019 12:13 am

This is good to hear but it's been well documented that AM has been messing with min stay requirements. I have emails from my concierge to prove it!

Hope this trend continues, I had to change my 10 night award stay due to family emergency and look to stay there sometime in the future

josephstern Sep 27, 2019 8:03 am

Not sure if this has been posted, but I hope this isn't too painful - I'm going in November:

We are enhancing our property starting October 2019 with a projected completion in March 2021. During this time new villas are being constructed, and we expect the impact to be minimal to shared spaces. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our reservations department.

I'm amazed that they need new $4k/night space. Not bad.

skj Sep 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by synzero (Post 31568089)
Looks like Hyatt has stepped in and stopped some of these shenanigans these resorts have been trying to pull to get out honoring the points program.

I don't think there's been any change. Minimum stay requirements tend to disappear if there are available rooms a week in advance.

cvseuy Sep 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Explorist here, I've been able to find award availability for exactly 3 night stays (Thurs - Sun) in some weeks within January, February, April, June, August. If I add or remove a night, it would show no availability. But it would easy to book the 3 nights (90k pts) and add or remove nights via WoH Concierge on Twitter.

thefloridatravelgirl Oct 15, 2019 11:21 am

We had an amazing vacation here a year ago, but now I have a hard time finding it worth it at this cost and the amount of Hyatt points you would have to have on hand. How does this compare to the Hyatt Regency Maui? I might look into that one for my next stay.

canyonleo Oct 15, 2019 11:20 pm

They don't compare. It depends on what one is looking for from the visit, but they don't compare at all. I used to stay at HR annually, and since Andaz opened I haven't returned to HR... but then Andaz blows away HR for what I want (not for everyone) ...as I've documented upthread or in HR thread.

laxsnaogg Oct 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Looks like they are back to 10 nights (in June 2020, anyway). What a joke...I love staying here, but honestly...

zzrayzz Oct 17, 2019 11:26 am

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg (Post 31635334)
Looks like they are back to 10 nights (in June 2020, anyway). What a joke...I love staying here, but honestly...

Any idea if it is still possible to book 10 nts and then call Hyatt to reduce the # of nts? Still sucks to need 300k pts in acct to do this ...

ZBigFam Oct 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz (Post 31638837)
Any idea if it is still possible to book 10 nts and then call Hyatt to reduce the # of nts? Still sucks to need 300k pts in acct to do this ...

If u are globalist u don't need the points in advance

Dsnow0819 Oct 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz (Post 31638837)

Yes. Booked ten nights over July 4th and shortened to six nights last month. Globalist though.

seawolf Oct 17, 2019 5:35 pm

More game playing. The standard room is available via Costco but not Hyatt.. Dec 20-25. Costco package with car rental $6,341. Hyatt.com $9307 where "resort view" is the lowest category. Base room suddenly available when booking Dec 10-25.

josephstern Oct 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Considering that they do literally have "dumpster view (and smell!)" rooms, resort view is an upgrade.

But, yeah, sounds like they're playing games.

Are flights in that Costco package? For how many people?

canyonleo Oct 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 31640036)
More game playing. The standard room is available via Costco but not Hyatt.. Dec 20-25. Costco package with car rental $6,341. Hyatt.com $9307 where "resort view" is the lowest category. Base room suddenly available when booking Dec 10-25.

Sorry, that's not correct it's another/new gaming. I mean, yes, they game (big time), but Resort View isn't close to the class of room that books into Reward space. Below Resort View is Mountain View and Garden View.

For your Costco compare it's apples to apples.

seawolf Oct 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 31640178)
Sorry, that's not correct it's another/new gaming. I mean, yes, they game (big time), but Resort View isn't close to the class of room that books into Reward space. Below Resort View is Mountain View and Garden View.

For your Costco compare it's apples to apples.

My point is they are taking the base inventory and making it available to Costco or other sales channel instead of Hyatt.com effectively shutting out award redemption.

canyonleo Oct 19, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm not following... base inventory is Garden View. You post that Costco is selling Resort View. Resort View is not base inventory, it's two grades higher.

seawolf Oct 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Sorry if I wasn't being clear, the lowest/cheapest room hyatt.com was showing was a 1K/2Q Resort View for $9K for the stay while for the same dates, Costco was selling the base room (1K/2Q) for $6k. So not only is the property making the base room available to other channels except for hyatt.com, you also can't do a Best Price Guarantee as the same room type is not offered to Hyatt..

canyonleo Oct 19, 2019 7:15 pm

OK, so now I understand we're not comparing anything to Reward inventory. But what is surprising about a hotel selling (like much earlier) at-the-time non-base level inventory wholesale for resell to a travel agent (like Costco), only to later when that inventory becomes "cheapest available" have the hotel's inventory management system price it higher than the travel agent is retailing it for?

If Hyatt already sold out all but a few of it's Resort View inventory (much of it wholesale to Costco even), then Hyatt's yield mgmt would raise the price of that little remaining for sale inventory, and what can Hyatt do if Costco lowers prices in an effort to not be left with a "perishable asset"?

seawolf Oct 19, 2019 8:12 pm

The thing is this, the base room is available on a 14-night stay covering the 5 nights I have in mind. So the hotel does have inventory not allocated to Costco.

Only reason I haven't done the book a reservation meeting the hotel minimum night requirement and trim off the excess is the hotel has a 90 day cancel which my dates are well within.

josephstern Oct 20, 2019 6:04 pm

They seem to have a new room category:

Property Development View

I hope I'm not getting that! I did book long before the construction was announced, but I'm sure they won't care.

jbarm Oct 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Just returned from a stay at this property. Some notes (as non-elite Hyatt member who has stayed at Grand Wailea and Marriott Wailea next door):

Basics:
1. Used points for a three night stay, booked several months in advance. Was shocked to be able to do so, because couldn't do so last year in many tries.
2. Received garden view room on wing facing employee parking lot. Not bad, as the foliage blocked most of the view of the parking lot and noise was minimal on the lanai. Could have been worse, as they have similar rooms overlooking the loading dock.

Good:
1. Room was in great shape. Only problem was a do not disturb light that was out. :-)
2. Shower is amazingly large, with both rain shower and handheld shower (and the glass peekaboo wall).
3. Internet speed good, 15 up and down. Fast enough for anything, really. TV s set up for easy linking with your phone or laptop for streaming using Google Chromecast.
4. Beach access is great. Mokapu beach is the least trafficked beach on this stretch of lux resorts. Decent snorkeling on reef between both Mokapu and Ulua beach next door.
5. Beach service great. I didn't have any problem getting chairs for my group of 3 and umbrellas. Beach guys were great with real service.
6. Resort fee is reasonable for services provided. Beach chairs, umbrellas, snorkel gear, boogie boards, outrigger tour, stand up paddle board tour all included (tips asked for on the tours). Wife went to lei making class and hula and both were quality events.
7. Free washer/dryer and detergent. Nice touch.
8. Low traffic property. You didn't feel like you were part of the crowd at the mega resorts next door. Service was more personal and relaxed.

OK:
1.. Room design is funky. Having a direct view into the shower from a full glass wall into the bedroom (which can be shielded by a shutter) is a weird design touch, even for couples on a romantic getaway.
2. Ultramodern room design may put some off, as you have to figure out where things are as they are not obvious. Figuring out how to open and close blinds and lights with switches takes a bit of time.
3. Valet only parking. Fast service but having to tip every time I go in the car is not something I value. IMO, a car is mandatory for Maui, though they do offer a shuttle for only within Wailea.
4. Pools are fine, with no problem finding a chair at the larger pool and not bad elsewhere. Free Beach Bum sunscreen with towel service. No 'fun' pools, more for just relaxing.

Bad:
1. Very expensive. Expect it for food and the like.

Not a bad choice, though I miss the old Renaissance/Stouffer that used to be located here. :-)

redbirdsj Nov 3, 2019 8:11 pm

Anyone know if globalists allowed walk-in spa access without a treatment and/or whether it's worth checking out?

beachfan Nov 4, 2019 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 31094790)
I've snorkeled nearly ever reef in Maui, some dozens of times... the one at the Andaz (Ulua) maybe a hundred times. Ulua might be Maui's best reef (and yes, I know Makena, Honolua, Kappalua, Dumps...all many dozens of times).

Ulua has more critters than any of the Maui reef I know. And for the large stuff, I've seen manta, spotted eagle ray, turtles of course, tiger shark... just about anything I've ever seen in Maui I've seen at Ulua, too.

Is this near the the rocks between Ulua and the next beach north, Mokapu? It seemed pretty beat up but did see some nice things today (eel, angel fish). But the beach in front of the Andaz is Mokapu.

is one side of the point between the two beaches better than the other?

canyonleo Nov 5, 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 31702302)
Is this near the the rocks between Ulua and the next beach north, Mokapu? It seemed pretty beat up but did see some nice things today (eel, angel fish). But the beach in front of the Andaz is Mokapu.

is one side of the point between the two beaches better than the other?

Yes, Ulua reef is the rocks between Mokapu and Ulua. Yes, it's a little beat up, and damaged from recent bleeching (as is most of Maui), but it has tons of animals, as much as any reef. OK, merely speaking of coral ("the reef") I do think Dumps and White Rocks, and Honolua have more "interesting" reef (like topography at WR, or diversity at Dumps), but for seeing all kinds of animals Ulua matches all. Many critters are hard to find and take a trained/experienced eye, like frogfish, nudis, leafish, flounders - I never found these (myself) in my earlier Maui snorkeling years.

ronbo83 Nov 5, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by redbirdsj (Post 31698325)
Anyone know if globalists allowed walk-in spa access without a treatment and/or whether it's worth checking out?

We went in July and had to book treatments to use the facilities even as a glob. The facilities are good and we went back and forth all day. I needed a haircut and the wife did a pedicure which ended up being the same or slightly more than the spa day pass so it was a no brainer if you want to use the spa.. The location near the adult pool makes going back and forth pretty easy.

beachfan Nov 5, 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 31703372)
Yes, Ulua reef is the rocks between Mokapu and Ulua. Yes, it's a little beat up, and damaged from recent bleeching (as is most of Maui), but it has tons of animals, as much as any reef. OK, merely speaking of coral ("the reef") I do think Dumps and White Rocks, and Honolua have more "interesting" reef (like topography at WR, or diversity at Dumps), but for seeing all kinds of animals Ulua matches all. Many critters are hard to find and take a trained/experienced eye, like frogfish, nudis, leafish, flounders - I never found these (myself) in my earlier Maui snorkeling years.

Mahalo!
I suppose the easiest way is to snorkel from one side to the other with the current; if I don’t do both sides, do you have a preference?

canyonleo Nov 5, 2019 12:09 pm

There's no real current, it's a very easy (beginner) site. One can go either direction. If I'm staying at Andaz, I start off of Mokapu... if I'm parking in the lot, I use Ulua Beach. The latter has one "hitting the reef" right away where the former does involve a longer swim over sand... but nothing major.

TravelBug1314 Nov 5, 2019 2:47 pm

Apparently we need to make the 10 night reservation to shorten to 4 nights. Have globalist status. Can anyone explain how to make this reservation without the 300k pts in account? Thanks in advance.

beachfan Nov 5, 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 31704482)
There's no real current, it's a very easy (beginner) site. One can go either direction. If I'm staying at Andaz, I start off of Mokapu... if I'm parking in the lot, I use Ulua Beach. The latter has one "hitting the reef" right away where the former does involve a longer swim over sand... but nothing major.

Very helpful, mahalo!

redbirdsj Nov 5, 2019 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by TravelBug1314 (Post 31705110)
Apparently we need to make the 10 night reservation to shorten to 4 nights. Have globalist status. Can anyone explain how to make this reservation without the 300k pts in account? Thanks in advance.

Easiest way is to use your concierge.

TravelBug1314 Nov 5, 2019 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by redbirdsj (Post 31705190)
Easiest way is to use your concierge.

Usually our concierge is very good. In this case, she's just telling me that she can ask the hotel to change the dates AFTER I book the 10 day stay. That doesn't help me in the 300k points advance.

Might just have to try a random Hyatt representative on the phone. Wanted to know if there is some Hyatt policy regarding points advance for Globalists before calling.

Thank you.