FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

TravelBug1314 Nov 5, 19 4:05 pm


Originally Posted by TravelBug1314 (Post 31705336)
Usually our concierge is very good. In this case, she's just telling me that she can ask the hotel to change the dates AFTER I book the 10 day stay. That doesn't help me in the 300k points advance.

Might just have to try a random Hyatt representative on the phone. Wanted to know if there is some Hyatt policy regarding points advance for Globalists before calling.

Thank you.

Sorry for the extra posting. Read further back in thread and found answers to my question.

redbirdsj Nov 5, 19 7:16 pm


Originally Posted by TravelBug1314 (Post 31705336)
Usually our concierge is very good. In this case, she's just telling me that she can ask the hotel to change the dates AFTER I book the 10 day stay. That doesn't help me in the 300k points advance.

Might just have to try a random Hyatt representative on the phone. Wanted to know if there is some Hyatt policy regarding points advance for Globalists before calling.

Thank you.

The policy that's been relayed to me by my concierge is Globalists can be advanced the points in order to secure the reservation and must have the points in their account at least 7 days prior to the first night of the reservation or they will be charged the rack rate.

Michael Ad Nov 5, 19 7:26 pm

Another good snorkeling spot is at the north end of the beach walk from the Andaz, right at that next big condo building past the private homes along the beach. If you're driving, there's a lot pretty close on the east side of the road and there's beach access not far from the reef. Saw several turtles there, along with the regular reef fish.

It's a (short, easy) drive, but I still love Ahihi the best.

Michael Ad Nov 6, 19 12:18 pm


Originally Posted by Michael Ad (Post 31705913)
Another good snorkeling spot is at the north end of the beach walk from the Andaz, right at that next big condo building past the private homes along the beach. If you're driving, there's a lot pretty close on the east side of the road and there's beach access not far from the reef. Saw several turtles there, along with the regular reef fish.

It's a (short, easy) drive, but I still love Ahihi the best.

The parking lot is at Kilohana Road.

Michael Ad Nov 9, 19 12:39 pm

Iíll basically leave out the good parts of our recent stay here since theyíve generally all been covered before (great beach, restaurants, room design, service, weather, etc.) and just air my gripes. But, to be clear, Iíll definitely be here again - my gripes do not outweigh my enjoyment of this hotel. I didn't even see the construction if it has even started, by the way.

-The rooms are getting a little worn and could use some mild sprucing-up. For example, in our suite, the dining table was seriously dinged up. It wouldnít take more than a regular refinishing to make that much, much more presentable. There were also dings on many of the wood accents around the room (which might be harder to repair, admittedly).

-The espresso coffee at the breakfast at Kaíana is incredibly burnt. I didnít try drip. But each day, I tried to get them to make me something that wasnít totally burnt, and I never got there. I donít know if this is just a seriously dark roast or a problem with their machine, but it was largely undrinkable to me. I should have just given up and gone with drip. Fortunately, Honolulu Coffee in the mall makes a great latte.

-Finally, I really didnít like the valet shakedown at the end of the trip. This one valet in particular fully latched on and keep pushing with ďso youíre leaving? this is it? did we offer you good service? did your car always come up promptly? youíre not coming back? we wonít see you? is there anything else I can do for you? are you sure?Ē etc. etc. It was far too much. For a comfortable hotel with nice relaxed service, to have a pushy jerk like this as the last thing we remember about our stay is unfortunate for the hotel. I should have gotten this guyís name so I could complain. I will admit that he was entirely out of place and not representative of the service overall or even of the other valets. But he was terrible, and he was the last person we interacted with at the hotel.

dblue Nov 19, 19 6:44 am

Trying to decide between the Andaz and the Fairmont for part of a honeymoon trip to Maui next year (September). Planning to book on an FHR rate but don't otherwise have any Hyatt status. Any idea what I should expect as far as upgrades, etc.?

bcosinteno Nov 19, 19 7:04 am


Originally Posted by dblue (Post 31753727)
Trying to decide between the Andaz and the Fairmont for part of a honeymoon trip to Maui next year (September). Planning to book on an FHR rate but don't otherwise have any Hyatt status. Any idea what I should expect as far as upgrades, etc.?

Book the Andaz through Prive - exclusive Prive only 6th night free offer plus confirmed upgrade at time of booking.

ABG Nov 21, 19 6:11 pm


Originally Posted by dblue (Post 31753727)
Trying to decide between the Andaz and the Fairmont for part of a honeymoon trip to Maui next year (September). Planning to book on an FHR rate but don't otherwise have any Hyatt status. Any idea what I should expect as far as upgrades, etc.?

I think the Andaz is the better honeymoon vibe... you will also earn possibly useful Hyatt points whereas Fairmont's Accor program is much much less attractive.
You could also consider the Montage if you must be in Maui.
FHR should also have a free night offer in this period, but bcosinteno pointed out you will probably get much more love via Hyatt's own program which is discussed here extensively already.

dblue Nov 22, 19 7:05 am

Thanks everyone. That's the vibe I was getting from Andaz vs Fairmont, but a bit worried about potential construction at Andaz and potentially being stuck in a smaller room.

Was leaning toward FHR because can use some Amex pts, but didn't realize about Prive. Thanks for the info.

canyonleo Nov 22, 19 8:31 am


Originally Posted by dblue (Post 31765328)
Thanks everyone. That's the vibe I was getting from Andaz vs Fairmont, but a bit worried about potential construction at Andaz and potentially being stuck in a smaller room.

Was leaning toward FHR because can use some Amex pts, but didn't realize about Prive. Thanks for the info.

FYI to anyone considering the Andaz - I last month stayed for a week, and I never even saw, let alone heard, any construction... it all must be off to the north side where no one would even walk unless there was some special event.

grant15 Nov 27, 19 11:56 am

Does anyone know who to contact regarding a possible paid upgrade on an award stay? The stay isn't for a few months. I responded to the generic welcome email, but didn't get a response to that. Am I better off calling directly, or is there an email address that gets me to the right place? Thanks in advance.

ZBigFam Nov 27, 19 1:52 pm

If you are glob reach out to your concierge if not reach out to Hyatt on twitter

redbirdsj Nov 30, 19 2:48 pm

I just stayed 5 nights and overall it was a great stay and I can see why people return to this hotel year after year. Globalist breakfast is excellent, service was great and beach activities included in the resort fee are truly additive to the stay rather than the gimmicky filler you usually see in those resort fee inclusions. I snorkeled nearly every day, either at the little reef off the beach or south at the bigger reef off Wailea Beach and thought it was great. I also never noticed any signs of construction at the hotel.





The one part about the stay that was noticeably suboptimal was the room, which I know is a common complaint. It's small for a resort of this caliber and oddly laid out. They could do away with all the unnecessary doors in the bathroom/closet area. The shower is nice, but it comes at the expense of a tub in a room that size. Also, I was upgraded to what I was told was a "full ocean view" from a base room and though I didn't mind since it was an upgrade, I definitely would have minded if I had paid for it based on that description. There were only a couple slivers of ocean visible from the balcony in the Makai Tower.




We also stayed at the HR which was great for different reasons, but if I'm returning, I'm playing the 5k points premium to stay at the Andaz.

platbrownguy Nov 30, 19 6:47 pm

Had a 3-night stay here about a week ago and thought it was a fine place but I don't really get what the fuss is about. (To be fair, I haven't stayed at many Hawaii resorts so maybe the standards are generally low and this place is simply relatively good -- but for someone coming from the East Coast, it seemed like nothing too special. Hawaii itself was of course quite special, but the property reminded me and my wife of places like the Renaissance in San Juan, good but not particularly memorable.)

Booked on points (2 cat-7 certs + 30k points technically), was only able to secure a 2 Queen room on points despite all room types being available for cash; emailed in response to the welcome email saying my only request was a King room if at all possible & was willing to pay if necessary, that email was ignored. (I also emailed the concierge desk re: restaurant & other stuff and they were very responsive, so in hindsight perhaps I should have sent them the bed request as well.) At check in, was informed of an upgrade to a deluxe full view... with 2 Queens. Took a lot of haggling to get them to put us in a King room, which ended up being an ADA room (nbd) in the Akau wing facing the ocean (the front desk said the view wasn't that great but it was indeed a full ocean view so i don't know what that was about, it was room 350). There was noticeable construction but we were out all day each day so it didn't bother us; I think the rooms across the hall (349/351/353) would have a direct view of the construction, which is at the north end and just east of the Akau wing. Also, we arrived at 8 p.m. after a long day of travel, and it took about an hour to get our room, so that was a little bit of a let down. We drove over to the Monkeypod and had a nice meal there while we waited though, would recommend ^.

No welcome note, amenity, or follow-up from management re: ignoring my email. I did fill out the survey post-stay and got a canned "we hope to prove ourselves to you next time" response. Eh, whatever.

Agree that the snorkeling off the beach was great, that was a true highlight and a reason to come back. One day it was too choppy & silty but other than that it was clear and relatively calm, and we saw sea turtles and eels right away; on the choppy day, a turtle came within a few feet of the beach much to everyone's delight.

Food seemed resort-average. No real made-to-order breakfast items other than eggs, with the usual sorts of toppings. The local hot sauces are a nice touch (try the Scorpion one, or the Raspberry Ghost pepper one), you have to ask for them. Fresh fruits and grilled vegetables were good breakfast options but all as expected, nothing above expectations for tropical resort. The premade stuff like dim sum, pancakes, etc., were relatively underwhelming because of how food gets when it's left under a heat lamp for ages.

The "Bitters & Bites" meal at the Ka'ana bar was above expectations, but I think they are changing it. (We had 3 savory courses + 3 cocktails, you pick your spirit -- I had bourbon, wife had gin -- and they do the rest; you can do a dessert instead for the 3rd course but we were glad we went with the savory options.) You sit at the bar and have your personal bartender essentially (there's just 2 couples at a time for the dinner), good conversation and good food/drink.

The other hassle was that the ice/water stations weren't on all the floors, seems like a cheap move. A carafe of water was randomly placed in our room on the second night with turndown only (not before that), and taken away the next day with housekeeping (and it didn't show up again that night). I get the "no plastic bottles" thing but wouldn't hurt to have more ice/water stations, carafes in the room, and so forth.

All in all a fine use of expiring cat-7 certs, but for normal points I'd much rather spend them on PH Maldives (sure, yes, it's farther away, but from the East Coast, Hawaii is pretty far too).

We personally enjoyed the Grand Hyatt Kauai more, I think, because the service in the club lounge there was great, we were given a nice room with a view without quibbling, the kitschy entertainment in the lobby was actually pretty entertaining (especially when combined with the option to go to the club lounge for self-poured $5 cocktails and bring them back to the lobby to enjoy with the entertainment), and we enjoyed hanging out at the sushi restaurant/bar there. There was ice on our floor, and the one day when housekeeping didn't bring a new ice bucket liner, I called and had a bucket of ice at my door in 5 minutes, despite the large distances that the hotel hallways span. The GH Kauai is obviously dated, old, and so enormous as to be impersonal (reminded me at first of childhood trips to 3-star all-inclusives in Cancun, shudder). But it ended up being a much more memorable experience for us than the Andaz Maui, probably because the Andaz gets so much hype (that it didn't live up to, for us) and the GH doesn't (so it exceeded expectations).

boolean64 Dec 1, 19 10:05 pm


Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 31791539)
Had a 3-night stay here about a week ago and thought it was a fine place but I don't really get what the fuss is about. (To be fair, I haven't stayed at many Hawaii resorts so maybe the standards are generally low and this place is simply relatively good -- but for someone coming from the East Coast, it seemed like nothing too special. Hawaii itself was of course quite special, but the property reminded me and my wife of places like the Renaissance in San Juan, good but not particularly memorable.)

The GH Kauai is obviously dated, old, and so enormous as to be impersonal (reminded me at first of childhood trips to 3-star all-inclusives in Cancun, shudder).

Having stayed at both and seen a lot of other Hawaii hotels, i'd say the Andaz is popular because all the chain hotels (and a lot of the non-chain hotels) in Hawaii have that old, large, impersonal feel to them. The Andaz is small, relatively very new, and has a good vibe to it. Relative to everything else available in Hawaii, this does rate well ahead of the rest and thus the hype. Agree that compared to other Cat 7 properties, not a stunner. But part of the high price of the Andaz here is related to its relative convenience to a large pool of Hyatt members. However long it took you to get to Maui, it would have taken twice as long to get to the Maldives...

canyonleo Dec 6, 19 4:49 pm

In light of this week's devalua...ah, enhancement announcement, I booked my annual Andaz Maui all points reservation way in advance. I can report that there are ZERO one, two, four, five, six, etc. night availability - for what I researched (Oct/Nov).

Again, it's all three night availability. So, I booked a series of consecutive three night reservations. Works for me - better than booking one reservation as if one is to after March delete a night or two from a reservation I'm told it will trigger a repricing (PEAK maybe?) of all nights kept...

Shame that Hyatt feels the need to join the race to the bottom.

pafrican Dec 11, 19 11:14 am

Does anybody know if Property Development View rates would be restricted from applying a Suite Upgrade? With Suite availability on the dates I'm looking at, thinking could save some money but avoid the downgraded view.

frogss29 Dec 11, 19 4:11 pm

I booked a room with views of the development view and contacted my concierge and applied a suite upgrade.

beachfan Dec 11, 19 7:23 pm


Originally Posted by boolean64 (Post 31794790)
Having stayed at both and seen a lot of other Hawaii hotels, i'd say the Andaz is popular because all the chain hotels (and a lot of the non-chain hotels) in Hawaii have that old, large, impersonal feel to them. The Andaz is small, relatively very new, and has a good vibe to it. Relative to everything else available in Hawaii, this does rate well ahead of the rest and thus the hype. Agree that compared to other Cat 7 properties, not a stunner. But part of the high price of the Andaz here is related to its relative convenience to a large pool of Hyatt members. However long it took you to get to Maui, it would have taken twice as long to get to the Maldives...

Having been at the Fairmont and Grand Wailea nearby, I found the Andaz to be best. (Way better than Grand Wailea). Great suite upgrade (beyond standard suite), great service, loved the breakfast (not as good as Andaz Vienna but great for what I eat). Far better than GH kauai for my taste (though Kauai is my favorite island).

Iím sure I might have felt differently with poor service and a poor room, but Iím surprised that some think this is just an average beach resort.

Colin Dec 11, 19 7:25 pm

plus the best restaurant on Maui

canyonleo Dec 12, 19 9:02 am


Originally Posted by Colin (Post 31831114)
plus the best restaurant on Maui

Plus one of the best reefs on the island.

zzrayzz Dec 16, 19 7:36 am

I am looking in Jan 2021, and cant seem to find awards with any combination of # of nts....... Do they only open awards within a certain # of days?

TravelGuy1965 Dec 16, 19 10:51 pm

Match the price? Hyatt gets guaranteed dollars for selling the bulk rate. Hyatt gets even more if they perish..You can not convince me that these rooms could perish and go empty..... The hotel has figured out a financial engineering game to double dip or make Costco take it at the expense of Hyatt tier members...


Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 31646449)
OK, so now I understand we're not comparing anything to Reward inventory. But what is surprising about a hotel selling (like much earlier) at-the-time non-base level inventory wholesale for resell to a travel agent (like Costco), only to later when that inventory becomes "cheapest available" have the hotel's inventory management system price it higher than the travel agent is retailing it for?

If Hyatt already sold out all but a few of it's Resort View inventory (much of it wholesale to Costco even), then Hyatt's yield mgmt would raise the price of that little remaining for sale inventory, and what can Hyatt do if Costco lowers prices in an effort to not be left with a "perishable asset"?


Matt4200 Dec 16, 19 10:58 pm


Originally Posted by zzrayzz (Post 31844982)
I am looking in Jan 2021, and cant seem to find awards with any combination of # of nts....... Do they only open awards within a certain # of days?

AFAIK itís 8 nights

boolean64 Dec 17, 19 11:18 am


Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31847907)
AFAIK itís 8 nights

or 3 nights. Nothing in between

Dsnow0819 Dec 17, 19 12:19 pm


Originally Posted by boolean64 (Post 31849655)
or 3 nights. Nothing in between

I had to use 10 nights over July 4th for next year.

MikeW_ORD Dec 24, 19 8:32 am


Originally Posted by zzrayzz (Post 31844982)
I am looking in Jan 2021, and cant seem to find awards with any combination of # of nts....... Do they only open awards within a certain # of days?

Depending on when you are staying, make sure to double check the rate to see if it is worth it to book through Chase UR or Hyatt. For my dates, the award space was tricky through Hyatt and on top of that the points were better value when booking direct through Chase than transferring to Hyatt.

TravelBug1314 Dec 24, 19 10:04 am


Originally Posted by MikeW_ORD (Post 31872532)
Depending on when you are staying, make sure to double check the rate to see if it is worth it to book through Chase UR or Hyatt. For my dates, the award space was tricky through Hyatt and on top of that the points were better value when booking direct through Chase than transferring to Hyatt.

That is a very good idea, however, I'm not sure you get the night stay credit if booked through Chase.

josephstern Dec 24, 19 10:46 am


Originally Posted by TravelBug1314 (Post 31872780)
That is a very good idea, however, I'm not sure you get the night stay credit if booked through Chase.

I'm pretty sure you do not.

jc okc Dec 24, 19 5:08 pm

Was able to book last night for 1 night at the Andaz Maui about 20 days before arrival. Used a certificate that expires in about 60 days. I am a Globalist. Had checked periodically for the previous 30 days or so and it did not show any availability for a points reservation.

Southdown13 Jan 27, 20 9:31 pm

Stayed three nights last week using points and applied a TSU for an Andaz Suite. At check in, I inquired about upgrades, and the only suite category upgrade available was oceanfront for $300/night. I asked about standard rooms and was told that there were only partial ocean view rooms left. We decided to keep the suite and ended up really liking the room and the quiet location. We were placed in the Hema Wing on the fourth floor, and although the view from inside the unit was of the side of the adjacent villa building, the view from the balcony had a resort and partial ocean view.

The snorkeling at the reef near the resort was great, and we made use the umbrella, chairs, and snorkel equipment provided as part of the resort fee. I missed out on the paddle board tours which were also included in the resort fee. We had dinner at Ka'ana Kitchen and really enjoyed the seafood which was cooked perfectly. The breakfast buffet in the same restaurant was good. Overall, it was a great stay, and we hope to return.

View from the balcony


777 global mile hound Jan 27, 20 11:13 pm

What nights were you there? Weekend or weeknights?

Southdown13 Jan 28, 20 7:56 am


Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 32002529)
What nights were you there? Weekend or weeknights?

Weekend. I checked WOH website for what was available on check in day and found only standard resort view rooms and no suites.

beachfan Jan 28, 20 9:26 am


Originally Posted by MikeW_ORD (Post 31872532)
Depending on when you are staying, make sure to double check the rate to see if it is worth it to book through Chase UR or Hyatt. For my dates, the award space was tricky through Hyatt and on top of that the points were better value when booking direct through Chase than transferring to Hyatt.

less than 30k ur points ie $450 including tax and parking? (Or $375 if CSP instead of CSR).

TalkingPoint Feb 19, 20 1:50 pm

Spent the first week of Feb at the Andaz before moving on to Honolulu. Played and won a few drinks during the bingo event they hold at the main pool at noon every day. They have fire dancers around the property and good live music nightly at 6pm just below the lobby. You can also watch the whole luau for free just from the bottom pool or Morimoto's. Saw a lot of turtles and mantas swimming right in front of the property. Also was able to see humpback whales a couple of mornings also right in front of the hotel. Didn't think the snorkeling was incredible, but we didn't go out after the shark attack halfway through our stay. Tristan the Andaz beach crew paddle boat guide protected the group but people were pretty shaken up. The tiger shark was pretty big (well over 6 feet long) and bit one of the other guest's board. We switched to waterfall hikes around Hana for the rest of the week. The ahi poke deconstructed roll they serve is one of my favorite dishes, and the nearby market at wailea shops had some other good food options. The free 2 glasses of champagne they give to globalists can be used for really any drink on the menu. Enjoyed their pina colada instead.

VegasGambler Feb 19, 20 2:03 pm


Originally Posted by TalkingPoint (Post 32090874)
Spent the first week of Feb at the Andaz before moving on to Honolulu. Played and won a few drinks during the bingo event they hold at the main pool at noon every day. They have fire dancers around the property and good live music nightly at 6pm just below the lobby. You can also watch the whole luau for free just from the bottom pool or Morimoto's. Saw a lot of turtles and mantas swimming right in front of the property. Also was able to see humpback whales a couple of mornings also right in front of the hotel. Didn't think the snorkeling was incredible, but we didn't go out after the shark attack halfway through our stay. Tristan the Andaz beach crew paddle boat guide protected the group but people were pretty shaken up. The tiger shark was pretty big (well over 6 feet long) and bit one of the other guest's board. We switched to waterfall hikes around Hana for the rest of the week. The ahi poke deconstructed roll they serve is one of my favorite dishes, and the nearby market at wailea shops had some other good food options. The free 2 glasses of champagne they give to globalists can be used for really any drink on the menu. Enjoyed their pina colada instead.

I highly recommend a whale watching boat tour if you are in Maui this time of year. Seeing the whales from the beach or hotel balcony is great but seeing them close up is something else entirely.

You can do them for as little as $40/pp for adults ($50 after taxes and fees) for a 2 hour trip with Pacific Whale Foundation. Conveniently they have tours from Lahaina and Wailea, so there is a harbor close to both Hyatts.

I've done them 2 years in a row now.

The shark thing sounds scary; it's good to hear that no one was hurt.

canyonleo Feb 19, 20 2:41 pm

There's a Diamond benefit of two free drinks? I've never heard about (nor been offered) that one.

There was a tiger at Mokapu two years ago, but no biting... but that whole coast has tigers (and given that there's like dozens of thousands of swimmers each day and like only one bite a year, well that puts the odds at about one in 9 million, 25k x 365... so if one really thinks that one has any chance of getting bit by a tiger or any other shark, well, slipping in the bath tub shower is one in three million... crossing the street is even more dangerous).

sam_goh Feb 19, 20 3:17 pm

Think there were 2 deaths there from tiger sharks within the last 5 years. One right off the andaz house reef.

canyonleo Feb 19, 20 3:30 pm


Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 32091186)
Think there were 2 deaths there from tiger sharks within the last 5 years. One right off the andaz house reef.

There were like four deaths in all of Maui in past four years, so about one per year.

The guy at Old Airport Beach from last Fall.
The German tourist near White Rocks.
The kayaking fishing guy dangling his foot in the water near Red Hill.
There was one other, not near Mokapu.

There is a website that documents these and all, but I forget it.

josephstern Feb 19, 20 4:17 pm

There's this site - I'm finding it pretty interesting:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/sharks/shark...ncidents-list/

I've also never heard of the two free drinks deal for Globalists, but I usually get a (cheap) bottle of sparkling wine left in the room. Frankly, I seldom open it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.