FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

brodielayne May 17, 2023 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35246133)
Maybe you were both trying to book the same suite.

Doubt it. Plenty of anecdotal evidence shows they game it.

sfgiants13 May 17, 2023 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 35246040)
I would say the property has never been less globalist friendly than ever before in its history
they do what only they are obligated to do breakfast & resort fee waiver etc
One has to lower their expectations
However when it comes to upgrades they will do everything possible to avoid.And in the event you do confirm a suite be prepared for a nice layout with a next to nothing view in a tired wing on the first floor.While I was able to pull some strings for my own stay I have no plans to return going forward as much as I like the property from the past years of experience.I may reconsider in the future but it would likely take a new management team.This isn’t the hotel I once had a love affair with
The views are still magical from the public area and Maui is still glorious

We had a 3 night stay last week and got upgraded to an ocean view room. I asked for a late checkout and they had to check to see how late they could offer but I only needed 1pm and they gave that without even checking. I just had to go back the day prior to checkout and ask.

overall I thought we were treated well. They even took the coffee my wife ordered at breakfast off the bill. Personally we don’t do really expensive hotels unless it’s a very special occasion so I would never pay to stay here but as long as I have the points I’d have no issue staying here again. Early may is slower in Hawaii so maybe that had something to do with it. Not so sure we would’ve got the upgrade during busier times.

rewqion May 17, 2023 10:44 pm

Amex FHR does count as an eligible rate for WoH here correct? Looking to finish off the Bilt promo somewhere nice (getting almost 15 days out of conference travel) and was going to book a standard post-July 4th week here on points, but those have entirely disappeared since last weekend when I was indecisive about it. So now thinking of just spending the cash (and getting a bit more for the same price).

gobaers May 19, 2023 9:52 am

Originally Posted by rewqion (Post 35259120)
Amex FHR does count as an eligible rate for WoH here correct?

Affirmative. It'll show up on the app as well, tight integration.

josephstern Jun 2, 2023 8:36 am

New breakfast item - pohole fern kimchi salad. One day it had shrimp; other days without.

Having had pohole several times at Star Noodle I was pretty happy to see this. These ferns have a nice crunch, almost like asparagus, and a nice earthy flavor. And the Andaz does the kimchi right!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...915300a174.jpg

777 global mile hound Jun 2, 2023 9:11 am

Brilliant it’s like shrimp salad without the shrimp my favorite 🤪😉
The Andaz generous revenue manager folks aren’t trying to save money on F&B costs by removing shrimp some days
they are managing and balancing your cholesterol levels for your own well being overall health

777 global mile hound Jun 2, 2023 9:46 am

Originally Posted by sfgiants13 (Post 35257780)
We had a 3 night stay last week and got upgraded to an ocean view room. I asked for a late checkout and they had to check to see how late they could offer but I only needed 1pm and they gave that without even checking. I just had to go back the day prior to checkout and ask.

overall I thought we were treated well. They even took the coffee my wife ordered at breakfast off the bill. Personally we don’t do really expensive hotels unless it’s a very special occasion so I would never pay to stay here but as long as I have the points I’d have no issue staying here again. Early may is slower in Hawaii so maybe that had something to do with it. Not so sure we would’ve got the upgrade during busier times.

Good to hear about your stay and that you were personally happy and satisfied
To further clarify my original post more accurately is once a Globalist already confirms a suite upgrade @ Andaz Maui
in advance the hotel seems to no longer have any incentive to upgrade to a view.
Despite various unsold inventory sitting vacant unoccupied.This is a very different direction than what the hotel took in the past.
The suite category has fallen drastically since the hotel opened back in 2013 when the hotel made every effort to upgrade Globalists day of arrival to almost any available suite with a view.The very suites they once upgraded too are now typically classified as premium suites which technically allows the hotel to deny any upgrading.

In addition even those without confirmed suites like yourself could get a suite upgrade with ocean views.
And for many self included if I return an upgrade to an ocean view room may be far more desirable to some than a larger sq footage with no view facing walls.
Personally speaking in my own eyes when a hotel offers only what I booked I have no special gratitude just because they include my benefits like complimentary breakfast something I earned after 30 plus years of loyalty and considerable spending.

Some are happy just being on property period as it’s a magical setting despite areas of the property that are
in serious need of refurbishment and refreshing.While I like the property I am no longer a fan the way I was in the past
Since Covid I’ve seen a noticeable decline overall in Globalist recognition at a number of hotels mostly in North America and
while Hyatt and it’s hotels retain the right to continue to erode benefits or recognition I personally have reduced my business
where it’s affected stay experience.
Cheers Happy Travels all

kaiotes Jun 12, 2023 1:43 am

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread.
I attained globalist through the bilt promo. In the process of booking a trip to Hawaii 4/24 (spring break for my 6yo). Not liking the properties in Oahu, been there a few years ago. The Andaz is a little pricey for my taste. I have never spent more than 20k /nt. I think 30k is what I am comfy with. Unfortunately the HR has no availability and Andaz requires min 3 nts at 45x2k and 1 I found for 40k. Will spend a couple nights at Hana. This leaves me w HRC at 30k. I do see some activities as part of the resort fees (waived on pts) that may be worth some of the cost but not sure all.
Any age restriction on theseFor long flights I only fly first or business on pts but definitely none of the American airlines based crap. Will be flying in via econ if I can even flight availability. But I definitely won't be dining at the on site $$$$ restaurants. I do have large of UR but those will be needed for future overseas trips and definitely not in economy.

Is this place worth the 45k/night? I'll be here for ~ a week.

Seagull689 Jun 12, 2023 8:46 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes (Post 35324450)
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread.
I attained globalist through the bilt promo. In the process of booking a trip to Hawaii 4/24 (spring break for my 6yo). Not liking the properties in Oahu, been there a few years ago. The Andaz is a little pricey for my taste. I have never spent more than 20k /nt. I think 30k is what I am comfy with. Unfortunately the HR has no availability and Andaz requires min 3 nts at 45x2k and 1 I found for 40k. Will spend a couple nights at Hana. This leaves me w HRC at 30k. I do see some activities as part of the resort fees (waived on pts) that may be worth some of the cost but not sure all.
Any age restriction on theseFor long flights I only fly first or business on pts but definitely none of the American airlines based crap. Will be flying in via econ if I can even flight availability. But I definitely won't be dining at the on site $$$$ restaurants. I do have large of UR but those will be needed for future overseas trips and definitely not in economy.

Is this place worth the 45k/night? I'll be here for ~ a week.

worth 45k/night? Definitely not.. but it is a really nice place with a great breakfast buffet as a globalist. If Maui is a once in a lifetime type of trip, and you have plenty of points, just do it. It will be enjoyable as long as you ignore the cost.

The HRC is next to the Regency so you get the amenities of both if staying at one. However, you don't get the globalist benefits of the club lounge/free parking that you would get otherwise at the Regency. Don't try to justify the points cost with the resort fee activities. The beaches and pool at the resort are free, and they're great. And the rest of Maui is a wonderful place.

My recommendation would be to continue to check your dates, as availability does change throughout the year. Yes, 30k+ points per night is expensive, but you're not getting a 20k point per night vacation in Maui; lifestyle inflation sure is a...

lucjos0224 Jun 18, 2023 10:27 am

Looking at a 2 night stay here ahead of a conference in Kapalua at the Ritz. Hotel appears to be playing games with award availability forcing a 4 night minimum stay. Does it still work to book the 4 nights and then have MHC (or Twitter DM rep, if thats still a thing) cut it back to 2? I know that worked in the past but its been awhile since I've tried it.

josephstern Jun 18, 2023 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by lucjos0224 (Post 35342112)
Looking at a 2 night stay here ahead of a conference in Kapalua at the Ritz. Hotel appears to be playing games with award availability forcing a 4 night minimum stay. Does it still work to book the 4 nights and then have MHC (or Twitter DM rep, if thats still a thing) cut it back to 2? I know that worked in the past but its been awhile since I've tried it.

At least as of several months ago, yeah, that works.

As long as you are outside of the cancellation window, it's worth a shot.

rewqion Jul 10, 2023 12:30 pm

Finished up a Amex FHR this past weekend, ended up with a partial ocean which was closer to full imo (probably got one of the better ones?)

Breakfast was excellent, much better than next door's Wailea's Beach Resort. Especially fruit - even had longan which I've rarely seen outside of Asia, though various things were better/worse on different days. Another standout was one day's Kimchee soup (another day's was super watered down though). Also have no idea where these hotels source their strawberries since they're uniformly better than what you get in the supermarkets. Morimoto was just OK (mainly dragged down by overpriced sashimi that was not worth it), but did get excellent meals elsewhere on the island.

Views are better from the big Wailea infinity pool though - the Andaz's stacked layout means you get umbrella interruptions, and imo better landscaping.

dascc Jul 14, 2023 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by sfgiants13 (Post 35221659)
Anyone here done sunrise at Haleakala? Curious what time you left at. Trying to snag tickets our first morning while we’re still on western time to make the wake up suck less.

Driving yourself or a tour? Our tour pickup was at 2am

dascc Jul 14, 2023 2:55 pm

Completed a short stay here before a longer stay at the Grand Wailea. Not impressed at all considering the prices they charge and would not stay again.

Positives: Valet, bellmen, and housekeeping were great. The room had a modern styling with still some traditional wood furnishing. They were very clean, and everything in the room was in great condition. I really liked the elongated shower which allowed you to step away from the rain shower head. Breakfast buffet, expensive, but had several great options.

Negatives: Service at the restaurants (other than Morimotos), concierge, and front desk was poor.

At breakfast, our first morning there, the waiter was condescending when we inquired how the buffet worked (what could be ordered vs the buffet).

We had dinner at Ka'ana Kitchen later that day and when asking the waiter to clarify if the dishes were served family style (since that's what was eluded to on the menu) he rolled his eyes and said with an annoyed tone they don't do that since it would exclude individual travelers.

Our last day we had lunch at Lehua, or at least attempted to have lunch. We were waiting for about 45 min for our food when the waiter came by to say our order was being finished up. We waited an additional 30+ minutes, during which there was no follow-up from the waiter. We ended up leaving when a couple of tables that were seated well after us received their food. As we left, the waiter arrived with the food (comped), which we ended up taking to our room.

The final bit of the stay was punctuated by the front desk. At check-in the lady was very friendly and welcoming. I'm a lowly Discoverist with Hyatt, and this is my first stay at a Hyatt in years, so I wasn't going to bother with asking for an extended checkout. However, during check-in, she asked if we would like a 2pm, which I accepted.

Fast forward to checkout day, returning from the beach a little before noon, our room keys didn't work. Called the front desk, who sent security to unlock the door. Shortly thereafter the front desk calls to tell us that we need to leave immediately, checkout was at 11 and they have a people waiting for our room. I explained that I was told we had a 2pm checkout, etc. The front desk said I must have misunderstood and that a 2pm is not allowed for Discoverists and wanted the name of person who checked us in, which I honestly couldn't remember. I told her that we certainly would have left at 11 if not for being told that we had until 2pm. The conversation ended with her saying if we weren't out by 12, they would charge us. Our bags were still mostly packed since this was only a two-day stay so were able to quickly make our exit, however not the best way to end a stay at the property.

portlandexpos04 Jul 17, 2023 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by dascc (Post 35413836)
The front desk said I must have misunderstood and that a 2pm is not allowed for Discoverists and wanted the name of person who checked us in, which I honestly couldn't remember.

Is this property exempted from what otherwise IS a stated Discoverist benefit?