FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

canyonleo May 2, 2021 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHappy33 (Post 33221314)
I do wish there were more adults-only options in Hawaii. I don't mind kids in general but when I want a relaxing vacation, an abundance of small children definitely detracts from the experience. I avoid Hyatt properties in Hawaii for this reason.

Just don't go during school breaks. I go in Oct-Nov (not Thanksgiving) and there's very few kids at all.

I agree with avoiding kids, Hawaii or flights or airports in general... so I avoid travel at holidays or summer.

platbrownguy May 3, 2021 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 33220021)
the POG with breakfast *is* fresh. It’s even got the tiny seeds at the bottom of your glass.
They also offered fresh pineapple juice as well.

That's new from when we were there in late January then. Definitely concentrate & no seeds (and no fresh pineapple) when we were there.

kthpence May 8, 2021 11:27 am

Curious if anyone could comment on what the capacity / service has been like post-April spring break craziness? We're checking in here in 10 days and have 2 ocean view kings booked, our stay goes until the Wednesday before Memorial Day (5/26), so we're expecting the hotel to fill up the Monday prior, but hoping when we arrive it'll be fairly quiet-ish for the first 4-5 nights of our stay.

Also, if the hotel isn't showing any suites available during our stay online, is there any chance a globalist will be upgraded into a suite upon arrival or are we SOL? There are suites available for 5 out of the 7 nights we are there currently, but not for the entirety of our stay.

777 global mile hound May 8, 2021 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 33236238)
Curious if anyone could comment on what the capacity / service has been like post-April spring break craziness? We're checking in here in 10 days and have 2 ocean view kings booked, our stay goes until the Wednesday before Memorial Day (5/26), so we're expecting the hotel to fill up the Monday prior, but hoping when we arrive it'll be fairly quiet-ish for the first 4-5 nights of our stay.

Also, if the hotel isn't showing any suites available during our stay online, is there any chance a globalist will be upgraded into a suite upon arrival or are we SOL? There are suites available for 5 out of the 7 nights we are there currently, but not for the entirety of our stay.

I'd keep my expectations low though I hope I'm wrong
I don't wish to be a downer here but IMHO you won't likely get a suite upgrade mostly because you have ten nights which is almost 2 weeks.
That means they can't sell the room and or please/upgrade 3 different guests in that time frame at 3 or 4 nights each stay
If a suite was the most important aspect of my stay I would absolute shoot for Hyatt Regency Maui where they are far more Globalist
upgrade friendly in advance of ones stay.
Typically Thursday to Sunday everyone and their mother wants an upgrade year round.
Usually I book Sunday to Thursday for just that reason.Which increases my chances greatly.
Having said all that if the stars align and the hotel is super slow I suppose it could happen.
The hotel certainly makes an effort at arrival just never in advance in my own experience
Perhaps there are some others that can chime in that may have been upgraded for 7 or more nights.Be an interesting data point

Klxp2016 May 9, 2021 3:03 am

What’s everyone’s experience with Deposits, and payments at Andaz Maui? When did they charge your card? Before or after checkout? The current policy is a 24 hour cancellation. Therefore, are you not billed for a Deposit until the day before check in? Just looking for clarity.

RedSun May 9, 2021 8:29 am

The availability for this hotel is really low. They make most of the rooms as "premium" rooms and illegible to use points. With limited numbers of rooms, the hotel knows so well that some Hyatt members just use points to hold the rooms and they could have 5 reservations at various places at the same time.

It goes both ways between hotel and members. Both play some games here.

kthpence May 9, 2021 9:09 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 33237354)
I'd keep my expectations low though I hope I'm wrong
I don't wish to be a downer here but IMHO you won't likely get a suite upgrade mostly because you have ten nights which is almost 2 weeks.
That means they can't sell the room and or please/upgrade 3 different guests in that time frame at 3 or 4 nights each stay
If a suite was the most important aspect of my stay I would absolute shoot for Hyatt Regency Maui where they are far more Globalist
upgrade friendly in advance of ones stay.
Typically Thursday to Sunday everyone and their mother wants an upgrade year round.
Usually I book Sunday to Thursday for just that reason.Which increases my chances greatly.
Having said all that if the stars align and the hotel is super slow I suppose it could happen.
The hotel certainly makes an effort at arrival just never in advance in my own experience
Perhaps there are some others that can chime in that may have been upgraded for 7 or more nights.Be an interesting data point

We're actually staying for 7 nights, sorry if that wasn't clear. Usually we'd do something like that (a Sunday - Thursday stay), but decided 7 nights was a nice amount of time to spend on Maui & chose this hotel because HR seems much more family friendly (we are an adult couple and are bringing along my parents who are in their early 60s & love Wailea). We much prefer Wailea to Kaanapali as well, and getting a suite won't make or break our trip, but it would be a nice surprise. We're just happy to have the free breakfast as globalists & the resort fee waived. We're excited to go as we've never stayed prior (only had a few drinks over the years & a meal at Ka'ana Kitchen) & now we have globalist status so hoping that provides a few more perks too.

jayer May 9, 2021 9:49 am

Was in Maui last week at a different place up the hill from the Andaz. The island is far fuller than you might guess. Was not the empty place we had expected when we booked a few weeks out.

Hotels and dining are still under significant capacity restraints, but other types of lodging are not and are largely approaching capacity. An employee at a different hotel elsewhere on he island, where I had been at the week before, that told me they were running 85-90% of allowed capacity most nights and demand was building, and high-rise hotels were under greater restrictions than his low-rise hotel. There is a certain amount of selective politician reasoning going on that tourists are the Covid pipeline, despite pre-arrival testing, and contact tracing overwhelmingly pointing to resident family transmission.

Kacee May 9, 2021 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 33238118)
An employee at a different hotel elsewhere on he island, where I had been at the week before, that told me they were running 85-90% of allowed capacity most nights and demand was building, and high-rise hotels were under greater restrictions than his low-rise hotel.

Which is why the base rate at Andaz is now over $1600/night on many days :eek:

We're booked for two nights at RI Wailea end of June on points before heading to Hana, and those rooms are now going for $749/night. (So a 1.44 cpp Marriott redemption!)

Daitheflu84 May 9, 2021 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Klxp2016 (Post 33237586)
What’s everyone’s experience with Deposits, and payments at Andaz Maui? When did they charge your card? Before or after checkout? The current policy is a 24 hour cancellation. Therefore, are you not billed for a Deposit until the day before check in? Just looking for clarity.

I've booked here twice and have never been charged a deposit at booking. I believe I was charged for everything at check-in, if I recall correctly. The Hyatt Regency Maui charges a deposit right away and my last stay at GH Kauai, I was charged a deposit a few days before arrival.

Klxp2016 May 9, 2021 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84 (Post 33239177)
I've booked here twice and have never been charged a deposit at booking. I believe I was charged for everything at check-in, if I recall correctly. The Hyatt Regency Maui charges a deposit right away and my last stay at GH Kauai, I was charged a deposit a few days before arrival.

Thanks. I stayed in 2018, and can’t remember. I do know during Christmas they needed a deposit when actually booking, maybe 1 or 2 nights worth.

jameswes May 10, 2021 8:10 am

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 33236238)

I would check the availability daily, it does fluctuate quite a bit in the last week before a reservation. I was there last week and was upgraded from the base TSU suite to an ocean view suite. There is a *little* flexibility, but as other posters are saying, Hawaii hotels are pretty much filled to their legal capacity now.

FT May 15, 2021 4:49 am

I have an 8 night stay for 2 rooms coming up. I believe, unless the hotel is doing something different, each room runs a resort fee of $48 per night so roughly $800. New to Hyatt and given some of the pains elite members experience at this hotel, I just want to confirm that Globalists do not need to pay this fee?

FWIW: booked and prepaid through AMEX FHR although it notes a property fee to be paid at the hotel.

AndyKehn May 15, 2021 5:38 am

Originally Posted by FT (Post 33252945)
I have an 8 night stay for 2 rooms coming up. I believe, unless the hotel is doing something different, each room runs a resort fee of $48 per night so roughly $800. New to Hyatt and given some of the pains elite members experience at this hotel, I just want to confirm that Globalists do not need to pay this fee?

FWIW: booked and prepaid through AMEX FHR although it notes a property fee to be paid at the hotel.

If you prepay through FHR there's a chance that the booking is treated as third party and no benefits would be honored for globalists. Would check with hotel or twitter to make sure your loyalty number is attached. Even if it is the hotel can still refuse benefits which includes resort fee waiver.

FT May 15, 2021 10:44 am

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 33240259)
I would check the availability daily, it does fluctuate quite a bit in the last week before a reservation. I was there last week and was upgraded from the base TSU suite to an ocean view suite. There is a *little* flexibility, but as other posters are saying, Hawaii hotels are pretty much filled to their legal capacity now.

Thanks. All the previous talk on FHR and Hyatt indicates no issue. I’m specifically interested here in the resort fees and Globalists and trying to sort out if I’ll be on the hook for the $800. Especially as the hotel seems notorious on issues like this. Im unsure given my newness with Hyatt how hard to push if I see it on the folio.