FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

Michael Ad Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Got home from here a few nights ago. I can confirm, super busy. I had to wait about 20 min for breakfast on Sunday.

Got a TSU room to partial ocean, but in the tower south of the lobby, not Makai. Still quite nice - room might even have been a hair larger.

Staff was wonderful - helpful and knowledgeable, but not obsequious.

Very small pet peeve: that stairway in the building south of the lobby really smells like trash, since it's open to the trash area. Seems like they should address that. Right at the water filler on 4, it's bad. But that's really about as large of an issue as I had.

Saw turtles and an eel snorkeling there.

Great stay!

Kacee Nov 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30434468)
I've never had a problem at any Hyatt of a better room or standard suite being available, and them not giving it to me at check-in.

I find that hard to believe. In my three years as Diamond/Globalist, this happened to me at least 25% of the time, and I don't believe my experience was at all unusual. In fact, certain properties are renowned for not upgrading.

Colin Nov 15, 2018 6:53 pm

his point was that armed with information that a standard suite was available for sale, upon confrontation, a Hyatt has never denied the upgrade.

this hotel only has 3 standard suites but tons of upgraded view accommodations that also qualify. not sure if the poster above is really in the parking lot view double as a globalist. i doubt it.

VegasGambler Nov 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Well, believe it or not, it's true. I always do a search for my dates before I arrive, and, every time something has been available, it's been given to me without me asking, every single time. Of course, sometimes nothing is available.

Once (at Grand Hyatt Seoul) I was upgraded to their "best available" (ie, most expensive available) room, which had a great view, but was not very big. I had seen on the website that a much larger (but cheaper, due to lack of view) room was available, and I requested that after I was checked in. They gave it to me with no issue -- the larger room wasn't ready yet, so they told me to just leave my bags in the old room and they would move them for me when the new room was ready. I went into the city for a couple of hours to explore, and when I came back they printed me some new keys at the front desk and my bags (and welcome amenity) were waiting for me in my new room.

CloneCones Nov 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30434497)
his point was that armed with information that a standard suite was available for sale, upon confrontation, a Hyatt has never denied the upgrade.

this hotel only has 3 standard suites but tons of upgraded view accommodations that also qualify. not sure if the poster above is really in the parking lot view double as a globalist. i doubt it.

Not parking lot. Just trees and grass or garden view I guess. Two Queens on the floor with 3 families I've seen so far. I'm a single person traveling. I got no upgrade at all. The view doesn't bother me at all really since I spend so little time in there. It's the no king bed upgrade.

eamus Nov 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad (Post 30434479)
Saw turtles and an eel snorkeling there.

I can understand why a turtle might be snorkeling (since they have lungs) but really wish you had a photo of that eel snorkeling. That would have been awesome.

iahphx Dec 9, 2018 5:40 pm

I managed to snag an award reservation for early spring here for a few days by booking more nights and then cancelling the ones I didn't want by phone. Quite a game Hyatt lets its hotels play (although not as bad as when I tried to book an award room at a garden variety Hyatt Place earlier this year and they blocked all awards by claiming they only had "high floor" rooms available!).

My recollection is that Hyatt Resorts always waive the resort fee on award stays. Is that true at this property? BTW, I just read on tripadvisor that the resort fee at this property actually includes some stuff of value. True?

For laughs, I looked at the cash rate for my nights. More than $800/night, room only (but including taxes). Wow. I'm somewhat surprised they get enough people to pay that. It seems like an awfully expensive (high-end) mass market vacation -- especially since the hotel will charge an arm and a leg for food, additional services, etc.

canyonleo Dec 9, 2018 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 30516887)
I managed to snag an award reservation for early spring here for a few days by booking more nights and then cancelling the ones I didn't want by phone. Quite a game Hyatt lets its hotels play (although not as bad as when I tried to book an award room at a garden variety Hyatt Place earlier this year and they blocked all awards by claiming they only had "high floor" rooms available!).

My recollection is that Hyatt Resorts always waive the resort fee on award stays. Is that true at this property? BTW, I just read on tripadvisor that the resort fee at this property actually includes some stuff of value. True?

For laughs, I looked at the cash rate for my nights. More than $800/night, room only (but including taxes). Wow. I'm somewhat surprised they get enough people to pay that. It seems like an awfully expensive (high-end) mass market vacation -- especially since the hotel will charge an arm and a leg for food, additional services, etc.

This hotel is NOT a mass-market (high end or not) vacation. It is much closer (but not equal to) a boutique experience IMO. The pools are not crowded (well, I'm not a sit at the pool person, but it's not "Vegas" or even HR Kaanapali -like). The beach, considering it's adjacent to the largest beach access lot in Wailea-Makena (well, maybe Dumps is larger) is one of the quietest and least crowded beaches in Wailea-Kihei. The reef, even with all the swimmer traffic, has as much diversity and life as any, from big (mantas, turtles, over a half-dozen species of eels, octopus...) to small (how many species of nudi's? ... gobis, fire worms, frogfish, leaf scorpion fish.

They do play crazy inventory games with regard to award space, but it's easy to get what one wants if one is willing to repeatedly check (as noted, I pieced together a few separate reservations to get my week-plus long booking.

The resort fee includes full use of a full featured GoPro, and full use of boogie boards, snorkel equipment, etc. Is it worth the price, probably not, but as you put it at least for a resort fee it's not just a hidden rent fee (there is some value in it).

This place is a gem (sure, it's not some tropical South Pacific or Indian Ocean spot, but it's better than most the Caribbean unless all one wants to do is cocktaill poolside all day. If food costs are an issue, well, Kihei (and even Wailea) is loaded with nicely priced local food options.

777 global mile hound Dec 9, 2018 11:32 pm

I think this may be about the most complained about Hyatt in history when it comes to award/point space
While far from a vast improvement or calling this hotel generous the hotel has made a slight improvement over the past year
I believe we have seen some improvement in redemption bookings availability and even suite upgrade space
It still takes much checking and navigating the length of stay etc
The downside the hotel has banned Globalists from upper floor suites in advance so its still even tighter than years ago
I'd be curious if they upgrade Globalists further when they can to full ocean view suites over the pool view suites they confirm into on arrival?
Anybody?

canyonleo Dec 10, 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 30517663)
I'd be curious if they upgrade Globalists further when they can to full ocean view suites over the pool view suites they confirm into on arrival?
Anybody?

My experience is that they will only TSU to the pool suites, and won't in advance TSU to full ocean view south-facing suites that they might block to upon arrival (or a few days before). My guess - If a pool suite isn't available, then they won't allow TSU application, even if full view south-facing might be the ultimate blocking or arrival-assignment.

jameswes Dec 10, 2018 9:49 am

Yes, it is definitely true that they waive the resort fee on all award stays (and all globalist stays for eligible rates).
And yes, this is one of the very few hotels that actually provide reasonable value with their resort fee.
- Free (plentiful) Sun Bum sunscreen.
- Beach attendants that will setup chairs with umbrella for you
- Free beach gear (snorkels, boogie boards)
- As mentioned, free GoPro rental.
- some daily activities included (yoga on the beach, outrigger paddling, a few others I don't remember).

Is it really worth $50? Most likely not for one person, almost certainly for four people. But especially since it's waived with status or on award nights, I think of it as a significant net positive.

As for the $800/night comment: Yes, it's really expensive. But everything on Maui is expensive. And there are very few hotels of this caliber on the island. So if you compare say the HR Kaanapali to this hotel, the HR is almost always going to be cheaper by 20%-40% or so. But the HR is a large resort that is really busy/crowded and on a not-as-nice beach and in a much older facility and portion of the island. To each their own, they both definitely have pros and cons, but for the right person/family this hotel is definitely 20%-40% "nicer".

blitzkriegs Dec 10, 2018 2:20 pm

They get plenty of people to pay that, hence why they want to reduce the reward redemptions (and the people that want to free ride it the entire time they are there). The property knows darn well where they fit in resort market in Wailea, and Maui, generally.

Quite simply the Andaz caters to a certain demographic + the property is in Wailea, a higher end resort area. Just some food for thought on your pricing...

Colin Dec 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Hawaii in general is not worth the current going paid rate for high-end properties.
In comparison to Andaz Mayakoba, for instance, $400-$500/n gets you a 1000 sq ft. beach suite w/ private pool.

Will be back to this resort soon, for a 4th time in as many years.
But always using points plus a suite upgrade.

blitzkriegs Dec 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30520223)
Hawaii in general is not worth the current going paid rate for high-end properties.
In comparison to Andaz Mayakoba, for instance, $400-$500/n gets you a 1000 sq ft. beach suite w/ private pool.

There’s a reason the Mayakoba is below market rate...

kapooncha Dec 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30520223)

Sure you get the beach suite at Mayakoba but you'll need it because you won't be leaving the property without Kevlar.