FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

josephstern May 3, 2022 10:17 am

Originally Posted by yolie (Post 34217023)
When do they usually release availability? Have been looking for a while and nothing.. thanks

There's usually some exact number of days you have to be searching for to bring up any award availability. Last I was searching, the number was 3. Try searching for 3 nights far out next year and see what you find.

Cometstar May 3, 2022 10:19 am

Originally Posted by yolie (Post 34217023)
When do they usually release availability? Have been looking for a while and nothing.. thanks

it honestly is random from what I could tell after checking multiple times a day for weeks. I’ve seen it in 1 day to 3 day minimums. A few days before my visit this week I checked again for curiosity and actually more award availability had opened.

smilee May 3, 2022 11:50 am

Finally stayed at the Andaz Maui, so I can cross that off my list. Overall the hotel is nice. However at the ridiculous prices they charge the hotel is really taking REVENGE on the travelers charging so much money to recoup for their losses. The pools infinity pools are lovely and their beach is in my opinion the nicest of any hotel I know of in Maui. The beach is not crowded, there are ample chairs for guests and a lovely reef for snorkeling. The food and beverage offerings are of good to high quality but the prices.... YIKES. Not worth it.

Things I liked about the property:
  • enough chairs for guests as you could generally get a chair by the pool
  • beach, a great beach
  • restaurant quality - food is good

Things I didn't like about the property:
  • as a globalist - very little advantage. No free Andaz mini bar instead give you some nuts from the general store. Upgraded room - couldn't tell from the cheapest rate.
  • my biggest globalist gripe was the free breakfast. They have a decent (not excellent like you find in Europe, but fine enough) buffet. However instead of getting the whole family for free they charged me about $60 because my kids are over 12. So I got 3 "free adult breakfasts" and had to pay 1 adult breakfast (she only ate about $5 worth of the $60 breakfast). Also we wanted to eat on the patio - that meant a 30 minute wait at 8:00 am.
  • Fortunately the Luau was sold out. Apparently you need to book a month in advance but at the $700 (I believe) for the family to attend a luau I think it would have been a huge waste of money. Probably a good enough meal and nice entertainment. But I am unfortunately not a generous enough dad who takes my kids out to a $700 meal.
  • Super hard to get points booking, I have tried as a globalist since the property opened and finally managed to find a date that had availability.
  • The price of food was just like the ridiculous price of the hotel.

If I was paying to stay here I would be extremely disappointed. I have stayed at such nicer properties in the Caribbean, Europe, Mexico for $600 a night. There was no butler service, rooms are small, no ocean front rooms. No thank you note from GM, no late checkout, no free drinks or cool towels handed out at the pools.

Somehow the hotel charges $1200 even $1500 a night apparently. I realize they are just charging what the market will bear. If you are happy getting a $300-$500 value room while paying $1500 then enjoy yourself here. Even if I see points available in the future, I will leave the resort to the rest of you to book up. Also talked to a couple of 20ish gals while we were there an apparently they got a great Costco rate room - I think they said $500 a night but who knows if they were just talking.

PortlySpartacus May 3, 2022 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by smilee (Post 34217637)
Finally stayed at the Andaz Maui, so I can cross that off my list. Overall the hotel is nice. However at the ridiculous prices they charge the hotel is really taking REVENGE on the travelers charging so much money to recoup for their losses. The pools infinity pools are lovely and their beach is in my opinion the nicest of any hotel I know of in Maui. The beach is not crowded, there are ample chairs for guests and a lovely reef for snorkeling. The food and beverage offerings are of good to high quality but the prices.... YIKES. Not worth it.

Things I liked about the property:
  • enough chairs for guests as you could generally get a chair by the pool
  • beach, a great beach
  • restaurant quality - food is good

Things I didn't like about the property:
  • as a globalist - very little advantage. No free Andaz mini bar instead give you some nuts from the general store. Upgraded room - couldn't tell from the cheapest rate.
  • my biggest globalist gripe was the free breakfast. They have a decent (not excellent like you find in Europe, but fine enough) buffet. However instead of getting the whole family for free they charged me about $60 because my kids are over 12. So I got 3 "free adult breakfasts" and had to pay 1 adult breakfast (she only ate about $5 worth of the $60 breakfast). Also we wanted to eat on the patio - that meant a 30 minute wait at 8:00 am.
  • Fortunately the Luau was sold out. Apparently you need to book a month in advance but at the $700 (I believe) for the family to attend a luau I think it would have been a huge waste of money. Probably a good enough meal and nice entertainment. But I am unfortunately not a generous enough dad who takes my kids out to a $700 meal.
  • Super hard to get points booking, I have tried as a globalist since the property opened and finally managed to find a date that had availability.
  • The price of food was just like the ridiculous price of the hotel.

If I was paying to stay here I would be extremely disappointed. I have stayed at such nicer properties in the Caribbean, Europe, Mexico for $600 a night. There was no butler service, rooms are small, no ocean front rooms. No thank you note from GM, no late checkout, no free drinks or cool towels handed out at the pools.

Somehow the hotel charges $1200 even $1500 a night apparently. I realize they are just charging what the market will bear. If you are happy getting a $300-$500 value room while paying $1500 then enjoy yourself here. Even if I see points available in the future, I will leave the resort to the rest of you to book up. Also talked to a couple of 20ish gals while we were there an apparently they got a great Costco rate room - I think they said $500 a night but who knows if they were just talking.

Maybe the hand written thank you note from the GM comes when you pay the cash rate....

canyonleo May 3, 2022 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus (Post 34218590)
Maybe the hand written thank you note from the GM comes when you pay the cash rate....

I received a hand-written note some stays ago, from the GM, when paying with points and checking out with a $0 balance... so not sure how one pays is the key determining variable.

PortlySpartacus May 3, 2022 5:46 pm

I was sort of joking. Does the GM, in any hotel, really "hand write" the note? I appreciate a note but its not the end all be all but it is indeed a nice touch. So much is changing post-covid in the hospitality services space....

yolie May 3, 2022 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 34217321)
There's usually some exact number of days you have to be searching for to bring up any award availability. Last I was searching, the number was 3. Try searching for 3 nights far out next year and see what you find.

Originally Posted by Cometstar (Post 34217328)
it honestly is random from what I could tell after checking multiple times a day for weeks. I’ve seen it in 1 day to 3 day minimums. A few days before my visit this week I checked again for curiosity and actually more award availability had opened.

thank you! I’ll try that.

DealDetective May 13, 2022 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 34217321)

Earlier this week, I found a number of award options for 3 night stays. Interestingly, I could book back to back 3 night reservations, but not 1 6 night reservation. Clearly, the rooms were available for 6 consecutive nights, but only if booked in 3 night increments. NOW, the magic number is 10! I have found some 10 night options, but it becomes a more challenging task.

lagunas2k May 13, 2022 3:24 pm

They really love to play around with inventory here. I booked a 3 night stay on my most recent trip. 4,5,6 7 etc were not available. The day after I booked, the day before became available. I snagged that night. Then the next day another day the day before that became available. I ended up with 3 separate reservations for a 5 night stay. All in the same class of room. Idiotic.

bgriff May 13, 2022 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by DealDetective (Post 34247710)
Earlier this week, I found a number of award options for 3 night stays. Interestingly, I could book back to back 3 night reservations, but not 1 6 night reservation. Clearly, the rooms were available for 6 consecutive nights, but only if booked in 3 night increments. NOW, the magic number is 10! I have found some 10 night options, but it becomes a more challenging task.

Once you have found the magic number of the day, if it is a large one, there are tricks to book stays of arbitrary shorter length: https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...-booking-tips/
(If you have enough points, you could also do the same trick booking points outright upfront and then having Hyatt shorten the stay without needing to involve the "pay my way' tool.)

platbrownguy May 13, 2022 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 34247768)
Once you have found the magic number of the day, if it is a large one, there are tricks to book stays of arbitrary shorter length: https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...-booking-tips/
(If you have enough points, you could also do the same trick booking points outright upfront and then having Hyatt shorten the stay without needing to involve the "pay my way' tool.)

And if you're Globalist you can borrow the points (even 300-400k) to book the 10 night stay and then shorten it.

canyonleo May 13, 2022 9:43 pm

I have never booked my annual stay here as a single reservation.
Every time it is like 3+3+3 or such.
And, every time I over book and have them remove night(s).
Standard procedure here.

Cometstar May 13, 2022 9:44 pm

My last 4 night stay was 1 night reservation x 2 then a 2 night reservation. Book at different times as availability came up closer to my trip date.

yolie May 19, 2022 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Cometstar (Post 34248441)
My last 4 night stay was 1 night reservation x 2 then a 2 night reservation. Book at different times as availability came up closer to my trip date.

Good to know. I have been checking for a July date with no availability for the longest time. :(

zzrayzz May 19, 2022 1:33 pm

are other people really paying like $1k+/nt rates for this hotel?! is the demand really there!? was able to snag 4nts on award in oct and apply a suite upg. Kinda crazy the andaz suite is going for $3k+/nt after fees and everything.