FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

nsx Sep 25, 2021 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by dgross (Post 33595810)
That is correct. Some company booked the entire hotel for the week of Sept 27-Oct 2 about 10 months ago. That reservation was cancelled about 3-4 weeks ago.

I wonder what the cancellation fee was. In the original agreement the hotel would have protected itself from a large revenue loss. The company could try to claim force majeure but the governor didn’t actually ban travel. It would be a good tactic in negotiating a reduced penalty though.

bsdstone Sep 26, 2021 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33595188)
Morimoto is great for lunch and much easier reservation than dinner.

didn't know they did lunch! We are eating there for our 20th anniversary dinner...thanks for the heads up!

dgross Sep 26, 2021 3:14 pm

The Andaz Maui is at low capacity this week after the cancellation mentioned above. No breakfast buffet this week, you order off a limited menu. No resort fee this week and no complimentary snorkeling, etc. no lessons, etc. Beach Crew is ala cart this week, pay for use. A lot of staff was sent home, minimal staffing.
On the positive side, hardly anyone at the pools or beach. About 12 beach umbrellas up at 11:00 am. Pools primarily empty.
the hot tub has been closed ( since last week). Apparently it had way too many people in it and was a covid concern. Hopefully, they might open it since the hotel doesn’t have many guests. They turned the heat off, so the hot tub is cool water.

No notice of any of these changes was provided to the guests onsite. You just discover the changes as you go to the restaurant or beach crew area.

The Bumbye beach bar was closed before 1:00 pm today.

josephstern Sep 26, 2021 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by dgross (Post 33598181)
The Andaz Maui is at low capacity this week after the cancellation mentioned above. No breakfast buffet this week, you order off a limited menu. No resort fee this week and no complimentary snorkeling, etc. no lessons, etc. Beach Crew is ala cart this week, pay for use. A lot of staff was sent home, minimal staffing.
On the positive side, hardly anyone at the pools or beach. About 12 beach umbrellas up at 11:00 am. Pools primarily empty.
the hot tub has been closed ( since last week). Apparently it had way too many people in it and was a covid concern. Hopefully, they might open it since the hotel doesn’t have many guests. They turned the heat off, so the hot tub is cool water.

No notice of any of these changes was provided to the guests onsite. You just discover the changes as you go to the restaurant or beach crew area.

The Bumbye beach bar was closed before 1:00 pm today.

Yet still $1000+ per night and no rooms available for points.

I hope they pay the staff that they laid off temporarily out of whatever cancel fee they negotiated with the big client.

dgross Sep 28, 2021 1:39 pm

No update for Monday, since we spent the day on Lanai. It's now Tuesday and my wife and I go to the restaurant for breakfast (included in Hyatt Prive rate) and the restaurant staff inform us the restaurant is closed for the week for breakfast due to low occupancy and some nights ( I assume the restaurant will open for dinner later in the week as people dine there who are not staying at the Hyatt.

We were offered room service, but don't want to eat in the room. Restaurant staff were surprised that the guests weren't notified.

We go to Makopu market to get coffee and something to eat ( which was provided at no charge). The staff person at the market informed us the the market will be open from 6:00 am to 11:00 am and closed for the remainder of the day. That will be the schedule for the rest of the week.

I am waiting to hear from the manager. I will also contact my Hyatt Prive agent and let him know.

Since when does a full service hotel have low capacity and close amenities, but keep the full daily rate?

Nobody at the beach except my wife and I, and not a single person at the pools (at 9:30 am)

More to follow.....

dkc192 Sep 28, 2021 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by dgross (Post 33603388)
We were offered room service, but don't want to eat in the room. Restaurant staff were surprised that the guests weren't notified.

So there were restaurant staff there during breakfast hours, but the restaurant was still closed?

Either way, agree that all of the closings and reduced hours are completely unacceptable. I think a partial refund of some sort is due to compensate for the loss of amenities. Who goes to a high-end resort in Hawaii to not be able to order poolside or beachside drinks?!

dgross Sep 28, 2021 2:02 pm

There was 3 restaurant staff that we could see. We did speak to Blair the restaurant manager, he said we could order to the room.

I assume we could order drinks from Lehua Lounge if we are at the pool.

I am amazed that none of these changes were communicated. A complete lack of respect for the customer. Even the staff seem generally shocked when we informed them we weren't notified of any of this. Wonder what will be closed next?

59Impala Sep 28, 2021 2:19 pm

This is dreadful. Not what I would expect from Hyatt nor an Andaz.

and yes, over a 1000$ per night with limited service. Unbelievable.

nsx Sep 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 33603496)
This is dreadful. Not what I would expect from Hyatt nor an Andaz.

and yes, over a 1000$ per night with limited service. Unbelievable.

TLDR: A canceled buy-out results in a sell-out... of paying customers.

dgross Sep 28, 2021 3:21 pm

I was told the lack of communication was due to the fact I was already here. Those checking in later were told of these changes and notification to me fell thru the cracks.

I have a poolside suite that I booked a year ago, rate thru Prive was about $800- $850 a day.

My prive agent reached out to their onsite contact, who reached out to me. They offered a deluxe view suite and a credit.

I am here for 10 days, 5 days are affected by this situation. We agreed to a $500 credit, any rentals at the beachcrew will be removed from the bill, and any breakfast charges for room service or Makopu market will also be removed from the bill.

I did rent cabanas which will be free for the remainder of the week ( we are celebrating my wife's birthday and our honeymoon). I understand its not necessary when there is no one here, but we like the cabanas.

They also offered to move us to a deluxe Oceanview suite but we don't want to bother moving. We are one of the few that actually like the poolside suite.

There is some value to being the only couple on Makopu Beach or at the pools.

A big thanks to my Prive agent!

josephstern Sep 28, 2021 3:53 pm

So now they just figure that their new standard rate is $1000/night? Because that's what they seem to be charging this week even though it's clear that most of this inventory will expire unused.

FlyHappy33 Sep 28, 2021 4:13 pm

Andaz Maui seems like such a shady property. I have zero desire to stay there, I don't care how nice it is.

dgross Sep 28, 2021 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 33603733)
So now they just figure that their new standard rate is $1000/night? Because that's what they seem to be charging this week even though it's clear that most of this inventory will expire unused.

Most of the hotels in Wailea have inflated prices at this time. I think they know the prices will eventually fall back to the norm, but they don't want start that trend. They are going to try and hold the inflated prices for as long as possible.

This week is a fluke because of the last minute cancelation. The company booked the Andaz, the Marriott, and the Four Seasons and cancelled about 4 weeks ago.

The Andaz will probably be back to 70-80% capacity next week. So, do you sell rooms at $1100 each at 70% capacity or $600 each at 100% capacity?

If the low capacity issue was for weeks at a time, I could see them drop the price. Time will tell.....

nsx Sep 28, 2021 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by dgross (Post 33603874)
This week is a fluke because of the last minute cancelation. The company booked the Andaz, the Marriott, and the Four Seasons and cancelled about 4 weeks ago.

This situation practically begs for inventory to be offered opaquely on priceline or hotwire.

josephstern Sep 28, 2021 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 33603912)
This situation practically begs for inventory to be offered opaquely on priceline or hotwire.

Maybe the issue is that they wouldn't be able to staff-up for higher occupancy anyway?

dgross Sep 28, 2021 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 33603937)
Maybe the issue is that they wouldn't be able to staff-up for higher occupancy anyway?

I can tell you they furloughed alot of staff this week and I was told the same with Marriott and the Four Seasons too.

travelbugging Sep 29, 2021 1:25 am

Originally Posted by dgross (Post 33603639)
I have a poolside suite that I booked a year ago, rate thru Prive was about $800- $850 a day

Glad your prive agent made things right.

I am only familiar with buyouts of smaller properties like Ventana where they shift booked guests dates but how does a buyout for Andaz Maui work if there are guests who booked already. Were you notified of the buyout and subsequently the cancellation prior to checking in? Cause they obviously dropped the ball in not notifying you of the reduced/no services.

I checked out on Friday so didn’t experience any of this. I can only imagine what an experience it must be to have the beach and pool to yourselves! Happy birthday fo your wife and enjoy the rest of your honeymoon!

dgross Sep 29, 2021 10:59 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging (Post 33604691)
Glad your prive agent made things right.

I am only familiar with buyouts of smaller properties like Ventana where they shift booked guests dates but how does a buyout for Andaz Maui work if there are guests who booked already. Were you notified of the buyout and subsequently the cancellation prior to checking in? Cause they obviously dropped the ball in not notifying you of the reduced/no services.

I checked out on Friday so didn’t experience any of this. I can only imagine what an experience it must be to have the beach and pool to yourselves! Happy birthday fo your wife and enjoy the rest of your honeymoon!

I booked before the buyout occurred and was not originally affected by it, as I was allowed to keep the room. The hotel did NOT tell me after the fact of this buyout and to be honest, I am not certain if I would have wanted to stay here with this group. This group also began booking Kai Kanani's sailing trips, Trilogy's sailing trips, etc. and they took every day from Tuesday thru Friday.

I had already paid for a sunset sail with Kai Kanani. Weeks later, Kai Kanani returned my money and told me they sold out the boat to this group.

I only noticed by looking at the schedule for the hotel and the sailing companies. We tried to get friends to join us, and noticed no availability. I called the Andaz and they said they don't know why there was no availability. The person I spoke to at the Andaz originally attributed it to a website glitch. I think I learned of the buyout through my Prive agent or Hyatt corporate, I don't really remember.

While at the Andaz, I was told this group also bought out the Four Seasons and the Marriott,

AllThePants Sep 29, 2021 1:45 pm

Curious who the buyout was --- like a Silicon Valley tech firm -- or probably more likely something like a film crew trying to film a bubble season of the bachelor or somesuch?

Kacee Sep 29, 2021 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by dgross (Post 33605745)
I only noticed by looking at the schedule for the hotel and the sailing companies. We tried to get friends to join us, and noticed no availability. I called the Andaz and they said they don't know why there was no availability. The person I spoke to at the Andaz originally attributed it to a website glitch. I think I learned of the buyout through my Prive agent or Hyatt corporate, I don't really remember.

I wonder if they would have honored your reservation if the group had not canceled.

A really poor showing overall by property management. Wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not.

Calcifer Sep 29, 2021 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by AllThePants (Post 33606198)
Curious who the buyout was --- like a Silicon Valley tech firm -- or probably more likely something like a film crew trying to film a bubble season of the bachelor or somesuch?

We checked out of the Hyatt Regency Maui a few years ago just ahead of a not quite full buyout by a multi-level marketing purse company. You'd be surprised where the money is.

dgross Sep 29, 2021 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by AllThePants (Post 33606198)

I asked who made the booking but nobody would provide any names. I was told in the past, this company books 1 year out and this is a annual occurrence. They did mention that companies such as Hennessy and Amazon have done this type of event for their customers.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33606246)
I wonder if they would have honored your reservation if the group had not canceled.

A really poor showing overall by property management. Wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not.

I had my reservation made before the company booked the hotel and I was told that my reservation was safe, they would not reject my reservation.

MASTERNC Oct 14, 2021 7:52 am

Booked a 3 night award stay here for next August after transferring Chase points. I'm mainly a Marriott/Hilton guy so I do not have status. I see the Hyatt credit card gives you Discoverist status, which can get you a slightly better room (space available) and free bottled water and Internet. Before I go open another credit card, can anyone speak to how Discoverists are treated versus non-status members so I know if it is worth it?

canyonleo Oct 14, 2021 8:43 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC (Post 33643898)
Booked a 3 night award stay here for next August after transferring Chase points. I'm mainly a Marriott/Hilton guy so I do not have status. I see the Hyatt credit card gives you Discoverist status, which can get you a slightly better room (space available) and free bottled water and Internet. Before I go open another credit card, can anyone speak to how Discoverists are treated versus non-status members so I know if it is worth it?

The hotel has free filtered water stations all over the property (including every second floor on each wing, and the station offers hot water sufficiently hot enough to do a steep/filter or pour over coffee if you have your own grounds and you want a good coffee while others are still asleep in the room)... so free water benefit is moot at the property. So other than internet, there is no Discoverperson benefit.

pickles1107 Oct 16, 2021 2:23 am

I was able to snag 3 nights for early December on points. Interestingly, they were bookable in one day increments, 2/1 or all 3 together.

this will be our 4th time to the property but first since 2016. All previous times I booked a suite with diamond status.
i hear/read that times have changed with regards to room upgrades for status. Now globalist thanks to the double nights earlier this year. Guessing we will end up in room booked. How is the globalist breakfast now compared to back then?
are they still doing the outrigger canoe rides each day?

dgross Oct 16, 2021 6:24 am

Originally Posted by pickles1107 (Post 33649162)
How is the globalist breakfast now compared to back then?
are they still doing the outrigger canoe rides each day?

The breakfast is different, due to Covid. The buffet is not as grand as it once was. You can go up to the food, the staff will place it on the plate and hand you the plate. There is an omelette station, but you order the omelettes from the waiter\waitress who is assigned to your table. From what I can tell, they don't use fresh eggs, it is some premade egg solution. They just don't offer the same selection of food as they used too.

Snacks and beverages are no longer in the room. You have to go to the front desk and ask for them. - They don't seem to tell people this fact when they are checking in. The hotel is taking an opportunity to cut costs.

Outrigger canoe is still available. They also offer snorkeling trips from the outrigger. They usually head over to the reef area in front of the Marriott.

Kacee Oct 16, 2021 10:39 am

Originally Posted by pickles1107 (Post 33649162)
All previous times I booked a suite with diamond status.
i hear/read that times have changed with regards to room upgrades for status. Now globalist thanks to the double nights earlier this year. Guessing we will end up in room booked.

I don't think they've changed their upgrade policies. They've just tended to sell the suites in advance, particularly as higher-spending visitors have flooded into Wailea during covid. Whether we'll see that ease was with more high-end travel destinations opening around the world is anyone's guest.

bsdstone Oct 17, 2021 8:32 pm

Just returned from a week long stay at the Andaz to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Overall we had a very good stay. We booked using a virtuoso agent as I don't have any meaningful status any longer and wanted to benefits that provided (two breakfast every day, and a $100 resort credit). We booked a garden view king on the advice of our agent as he said he has a very good personal relationship with the resort and while he couldn't guarantee an upgrade to a partial ocean view room...that, of course didn't happen. We were "upgraded" to a high floor garden view. Room 711, with basically a view of the parking lot from the top floor. After calling down and speaking to a few different folks, we got moved to room 442 an oceanview room for an upcharge of $200/night...$1400 was pretty steep, but considering the occasion and the alternative of basically going to a cave every night we pulled the trigger on it.
-Room 442 is overlooking the adult/relaxation pool and has a nice view of the ocean...a little low and you can see some roof tops of the villas, but all in all a nice view and we were happy with it. Had two chairs on the balcony and a small table. Room is an average american hotel room size. Layout is a little tight in the bathroom and neither of us liked the flat sink...it looked nice, but didn't drain real well. Again, overall very happy with the room and the bed was amazingly comfortable.
-Room was made up every day and they did a good job of replenishing whatever we asked for in our note with a tip attached to it. Big thumbs up to housekeeping.
-We decided to get up early every day to ease the transition back to Central time...first day we were up at 1:30am to do the Haleakula sunrise and bike tour, then came back for a late breakfast and pool day. We spent 5 of our 7 days just relaxing at the resort. Seats were plentiful, and while we were up early, most days, one day we did the spa and came down after noon and were still able to find two seats and an umbrellas at our preferred pool. Seats were comfortable and in great shape. Towels were as well.
-Breakfast is as described above...we were never there for the full on buffet, but wife and I very much enjoyed the breakfast. We took the advice of another FT'er and got up, walked and hit the Marriott for Starbucks most mornings. Would relax and then eat a large breakfast around 10:30...didn't usually eat anything until our dinner.
-We did a couples massage at the spa. Spa facilities are all open with the exception of the steam room. Spa is very well, and our massages were both excellent.
-Probably the biggest disappointment of the hotel was Morimoto. We chose to stay at the hotel for our actual 20th anniversary and celebrate there while eating during sunset. Sunset was at 620, so we made reservations for 6. We arrived around 550, and didn't get seated until nearly 640...well past sunset. We tried talking to the manager about the situation, and he handled it poorly and very aggressively. He did come over later and apologize for both his behavior and the situation. He sent over two glasses of champagne, which was nice. We've eaten at Morimoto at different locations in the past and always really enjoyed it...this one was just OK. Sushi and rolls were nothing special, nor were the appetizers we had. Not a great way to spend our 20th, but if you've been married for 20 years, you've certainly overcome much more "adversity" than this! :-)
-We are more pool people and spent the majority of our time in and around the pool, reading, and relaxing and enjoying time with each other. We did go to the beach to walk and enjoyed it and it looked like good service and set up there. If you're a beach person, this is a pretty small beach...but a nice one.
-Would 100 percent stay here again if we were in the market to come back as a couple. Probably not the best place for our teenage boys...for littler ones, there is a great kids pool and it's separated enough from the adult pools so you aren't bothered by screaming kids.

-Final thoughts...we walked to and ate at both the four seasons and Marriott. Can't believe I'm going to type this, but I would stay at the Andaz first, the Marriott next, and then the four seasons. Marriott has a beautiful adults only serenity pool with amazing views. Also has nice kids are if that is your thing...no beach though. Four Season was OVER RUN with people when we walked there one morning and again in the evening for dinner at Ferraro's. Met some people who moved over to Andaz because they were literally waiting in line for 30+ minutes to get a chair by the pool...ugh. Tons of kids and the lobby bars and restaurants were packed to the gills. Hardly is worth a mention, but we did walk through the Grand Wailea...man, that place is really showing it's age. All the lobby and fountains are under construction and the place looks like a worn down old Vegas Casino...don't see the appeal to the place at all.

Happy to answer any questions or provide any clarification to what I posted above.

Doppy Oct 17, 2021 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 33644073)
The hotel has free filtered water stations all over the property (including every second floor on each wing, and the station offers hot water sufficiently hot enough to do a steep/filter or pour over coffee if you have your own grounds and you want a good coffee while others are still asleep in the room)... so free water benefit is moot at the property.

Most guest rooms also have private faucets that dispense potable water, so there is an abundance of drinking water at this property.

nsx Oct 25, 2021 8:00 pm

Booking today to beat the pricing change I noticed that Andaz Maui was offering single nights for points in November 2022. I didn't check other months. I have never seen this before. The timing is great.

dakid23 Oct 25, 2021 10:32 pm

Locked in the Andaz suite! Trip is coming up in 10 days.

josephstern Oct 26, 2021 7:36 am

Any updates on breakfast here? Has the selection increased at all? Any chance of self-service coming back?

GUWonder Oct 26, 2021 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33649887)
I don't think they've changed their upgrade policies. They've just tended to sell the suites in advance, particularly as higher-spending visitors have flooded into Wailea during covid. Whether we'll see that ease was with more high-end travel destinations opening around the world is anyone's guest.

There are hotels -- including even higher-end hotels -- that have become more miserly with complimentary upgrades to suites because of issues over their willingness and/or ability to pay for additional cleaning labor time or sort of "closed up" sections of the property. I would be surprised if this property were not to be one of those that has decided to go cheap on this front too and become more miserly with upgrades to suites because of that.

Kacee Oct 26, 2021 8:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 33675543)
There are hotels -- including even higher-end hotels -- that have become more miserly with complimentary upgrades to suites because of issues over their willingness and/or ability to pay for additional cleaning labor time or sort of "closed up" sections of the property. I would be surprised if this property were not to be one of those that has decided to go cheap on this front too and become more miserly with upgrades to suites because of that.

100% speculation. My experience in April was that front desk tried to get us into the best room they could, subject to available inventory. And there are plenty of reports in this thread of suite upgrades. The issue at this property is that people are paying for suites.

GUWonder Oct 26, 2021 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33675614)
100% speculation. My experience in April was that front desk tried to get us into the best room they could, subject to available inventory. And there are plenty of reports in this thread of suite upgrades. The issue at this property is that people are paying for suites.

Is the "100% speculation" a reference to your own post? My post is 0% speculation. It's straight from discussions with hotel owners, hotel management and cleaning staff whom I talked to about their ways for managing costs during the pandemic.

And the following is also not speculation: "I would be surprised if this property were not to be one of those that has decided to go cheap on this front too and become more miserly with upgrades to suites because of that." I 100% know what would and would not surprise me. ;)

Kacee Oct 26, 2021 9:08 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 33675655)
It's 0% speculation. It's a straight from discussions with hotel owners, hotel management and cleaning staff whom I talked to about their ways for managing costs during the pandemic.

You very clearly know nothing at all about this property's policies specifically.

GUWonder Oct 26, 2021 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33675666)
You very clearly know nothing at all about this property's policies specifically.

I very clearly know what about this property specifically would not surprise me. As even reports last month indicated for this very property, the hotel seemed to have been showing they remained on a cost-cutting path that adversely impacted guest experience.

josephstern Oct 26, 2021 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33675614)

I paid for a three day stay in August in an ocean view room. I asked about an upgrade (couldn't use a TSU since the Andaz Suite wasn't available). They offered me a partial view for $500/night and a full view for $1200/night on top of what I was already paying.

They most definitely were NOT trying to get us into the best room they could (for free, anyway). This surprised me as a repeat Globalist paying cash.

Colin Oct 31, 2021 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 33676326)
I paid for a three day stay in August in an ocean view room. I asked about an upgrade (couldn't use a TSU since the Andaz Suite wasn't available). They offered me a partial view for $500/night and a full view for $1200/night on top of what I was already paying.

They most definitely were NOT trying to get us into the best room they could (for free, anyway). This surprised me as a repeat Globalist paying cash.

i’d be embarrassed to publicly complain about not getting a free upgrade to a premium suite

friedablass Oct 31, 2021 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 33691446)
i’d be embarrassed to publicly complain about not getting a free upgrade to a premium suite

Not if the suite was available and they tried selling you something that should have been complimentary for a Globalist, especially a repeat guest paying cash.