FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

777 global mile hound May 9, 2015 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 24792229)
So the people that book an award stay will be able to partake in all of the activities covered under the fee, but those that book a paid stay before the compulsory resort fee rule takes affect will have to either pay the fee or pay for the activities individually?

To my understanding yes
Its always worked that way with the waived resort fees at other Hyatt properties over the years when booked on award

BOSOGG May 10, 2015 8:45 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 24792229)
So the people that book an award stay will be able to partake in all of the activities covered under the fee, but those that book a paid stay before the compulsory resort fee rule takes affect will have to either pay the fee or pay for the activities individually?

After Resort Fee takes effect, other than for those with reservations made prior to announcement, it would seem that there would be no need for "individual activity" charges, if activity is listed under Resort Fee amenities.
For those taking advantage of listed activities, if in fact all activities are included at no additional charge, this is a good deal, as far as Resort Fees goes.
What remains to be seen: Are all the listed activities, such as bikes, boogie boards, kayaks, snorkel equipment, etc free, or are they only being made available for an additional rental charge? Why are they listed as "rentals"?
I guess we will have to wait until June to find out.

zzrayzz May 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by chachang25 (Post 24792153)
I've seen the confirmation that the resort fee will not be applied to award stays. What about points+cash?

i am going to assume that the resort fee is prorated for p&c 50/50... similar to how they do it for other Hyatts that have a resort fee

TKKY May 24, 2015 6:52 am

Parking Situation

Originally Posted by LivelyFL (Post 23401828)
Re: The parking. ...I believe they take inventory at night.

Anyone know whether they take inventory at night? Thanks

sam_goh May 24, 2015 11:18 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz (Post 24805598)
i am going to assume that the resort fee is prorated for p&c 50/50... similar to how they do it for other Hyatts that have a resort fee

With Hyatt it's either charged or not. Diamonds sometimes get a discount, but it's not prorated.

Astrophsx May 24, 2015 11:55 am

Originally Posted by TKKY (Post 24861911)
Anyone know whether they take inventory at night? Thanks

Yes, you can use valet for free (minus tip) during the day and if it stays over night that is when they take inventory to charge. There are a few places you can park and walk back to the hotel for free (~10-13 mins).

milemonkey May 24, 2015 12:08 pm

Does the Andaz Maui offer rooms using Hyatt Gold Passport points? Every date I try says rate not available?

blitzkriegs May 24, 2015 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Alexi102000 (Post 24783947)
Hello, I'm staying in mid May using award nights. I had a few questions if someone has time:

1) Does anyone know if I will be charged a $40 resort fee?
2) Are there any cheapish places we can eat nearby?
3) What's the cheapest way to get to the hotel from OGG? I'm also considering getting a car, but the $30 a day really seems to kill it.
4) Any recommended activities?

Thank you!

Maui and cheap. Wrong place to visit...

Kacee May 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs (Post 24864247)

Tens of thousands of Hawaiians manage to live on Maui without spending excessive sums on resort meals. There are absolutely bargains to be had.

Although if you stay at a pricey resort like the Andaz, it's difficult to avoid getting gouged.

canyonleo May 25, 2015 10:52 am

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs (Post 24864247)

So not true. If one has a car (and Maui is an island that begs to be checked out) there are so many cheap local places to eat.

In fact, Maui is a very cheap vacation (say compared to NYC, Disney, skiing...) if one does VRBO, discount car rental, Costco, local restaurants and shopping, and free day activities like beaches and shore snorkeling/diving and hiking.

And, back to the Andaz, if one uses points (not C&P) and local restaurants, it can be a very cheap trip (compared to skiing, big city trips, Disney, etc.).

peteropny May 25, 2015 10:59 am

Originally Posted by milemonkey (Post 24862897)
Does the Andaz Maui offer rooms using Hyatt Gold Passport points? Every date I try says rate not available?

Yes they do - if the base entry room is available for revenue it should be available for award redemption.

milemonkey May 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Apparently no point availability for Jan, Feb and March of 2016

canyonleo May 25, 2015 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey (Post 24867734)

IMO they are gaming availability by creating new categories so the "standard" (or lowest?) category now has much fewer rooms in it, thus availability is always less. I think Garden View is now the lowest category, where before it was Mountain View?

duranza May 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Same thing I was told months ago too.

coffee18 May 25, 2015 6:04 pm

They're definitely gaming award availability. Since day one they had Garden View, but in the past two months they added "Mountain View", which encompasses a majority of rooms previously labeled Garden View. Here's the description from my e-standby page:

"Located on our higher floors, enjoy a view of the mountains from the comfort of your own guestroom."

I take it that Garden View then would qualify as loading dock-adjacent.

Kacee May 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by coffee18 (Post 24868104)
"Located on our higher floors, enjoy a view of the mountains from the comfort of your own guestroom."

The "comfort of your own guestroom" As opposed to what . . . the comfort of somebody else's guestroom???

Corporate speak reaches new lows.

exmike May 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Wow this property keeps plumbing new lows. Gaming categories to restrict award room availability kinda defeats part of the purpose of being part of a loyalty program don't you think?

sam_goh May 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by coffee18 (Post 24868104)
I take it that Garden View then would qualify as loading dock-adjacent.

Narh - it's really garden or mountain view depending if you're looking up or down. Hate these games too :td:

Duke777 May 26, 2015 11:42 am

I just completed a stay at the Andaz over Memorial Day weekend with my GF. I'm new to Hyatt in the past year after spending several years strictly with SPG. I'm glad I've decided to split stays.

We booked 2 nights using my corporate rate about 2 weeks in advance for the garden view room. We were able to use a DSU at booking and confirm a pool side suite. Was a bit unsure if we'd prefer a smaller room with a view, but we tend to like the space suites afford. Being able to confirm a suite at booking is a huge perk of HGP and a big draw away from SPG. After seeing the pool suite, I would probably prefer a smaller ocean view king in the future.

We arrived to the hotel around 11 AM from HNL, not expecting to check in until the late afternoon. To get from OGG to the Andaz, we pre-booked Speedishuttle for $46 for 2 people. Fortunately, we were the only ones on the shuttle. At check-in, we were greeted warmly and offered water or lemonade.

Without any need to ask, we were upgraded to a full ocean view Andaz Suite (#639). The hotel wasn't showing availability online, so I was pleasantly surprised. The room was ready at 12:30 and the hotel called my phone to let us know. The Ohana Lounge worked well to store our stuff and change into our swimsuits.

The room was massive with two balconies and beautiful views of the water and resort. The shower with the incredible view and ability to watch TV was pretty neat.

The only downside was that the furniture was very uncomfortable, especially the chairs on the balconies. They need cushions. Does anyone test this stuff? Also, the free food and drink offerings were mediocre. We had two granola bars, a small pack of Maui chips, a local root beer, a Virgil's Coke, and a San Pellegrino lemonade.

I elected the Diamond amenity, which was a bottle of wine (2012 StoneCap Chardonnay) and two chocolates.

The resort is beautiful. We enjoyed all of the infinity pools and the beach. The waves were pretty big due to the wind, so we spent more time in the pools. We never had problems getting chairs anywhere. A huge plus of the resort is the service. EVERYONE was extremely friendly and made us feel welcomed. A very far cry from our multiple experiences in the Caribbean at the W Vieques.

The Diamond breakfast was fine. The fruit spread is extensive and there are plenty of carbs. I think after a few days, I'd want to mix up the food, but it's sufficient for a short stay.

We ate dinner at Morimoto one night. It was delicious. Highly recommend the A5 Waygu even if it's very pricy. We also had lunch there. The prices were reasonable for lunch (read: expensive, but not much more than the poolside bar where we ate two other lunches).

We also went to Ko at the Fairmont one night. It was the start of restaurant week, so we elected the $49 three course pre-fixe. The food was mediocre. The resort also felt huge, similar to Mexico resorts. We were glad to be staying at the Andaz, which felt more secluded.

We didn't have a car, so can't comment on parking. We did use the courtesy shuttle at the hotel to go to Monkeypods for dinner before our flight. It was fine, but still expensive. Happy Hour is a good deal though (until 5:30).

To get to OGG, we took Uber. It worked out great and was only $39. Quite a bit less than I was expecting.

Overall, we had a relaxing weekend trip. We'll definitely be back and will probably venture outside the resort to explore the island more.

Also, I'm now an Andaz fan. I thought the concept appealed to my demographic (late 20s) much better than W's with their weird room designs and pretentious lack of service.

Duke777 May 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Are points not earned when dining at Morimoto? Looks like I didn't receive any HGP points when charging to my room. Since I paid the folio with my Hyatt card, I'll at least receive 3x anyway.

uprightposition May 26, 2015 9:55 pm

No Aloha for Diamonds Here and Now Diamonds Are Upcharged for the Full breakfast

Second visit. Same tiny tiny tiny horribly designed galley-style room. Same non-upgrade, only this time we learned of a colleague who was given a suite because her partner is a travel agent. This was "our" suite. Oh, and this time, the breakfast we enjoyed last time would be an extra $17 per person above Diamond inclusions.
Aloha, Wailea. We gave you two chances (work brings us to the area, but the accoms are our choice) and you have shown zero interest in honoring the Diamond program here. Keep your tiny rooms:td:. We prefer the Big Island anyway for leisure.

ETA: Holy S$#! I just read the Duke's report above and am now fuming mad. Not only wasn;t our suite request honored, but we arrived after 3pm and were still told to cool our heels for an hour while they readied the room, apparently the same weekend you were there. Wow, I'm caling Diamond in the morning. Thanks for demonstrating the absolute farce that is the Diamond program which works for some and clearly not for others. This makes my pending decision to switch loyalty to Marriott for their Autograph Collection oh so much easier. Just wow.

Gold Passport Concierge May 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Hello uprightposition,

We're sorry to hear of your disappointing visit. If you can PM us your stay details, we're happy to look into this for you.

Thanks!

Mary2e May 27, 2015 8:22 am

Originally Posted by uprightposition (Post 24873990)
ETA: Holy S$#! I just read the Duke's report above and am now fuming mad. Not only wasn;t our suite request honored, but we arrived after 3pm and were still told to cool our heels for an hour while they readied the room, apparently the same weekend you were there. Wow, I'm caling Diamond in the morning. Thanks for demonstrating the absolute farce that is the Diamond program which works for some and clearly not for others. This makes my pending decision to switch loyalty to Marriott for their Autograph Collection oh so much easier. Just wow.

I don't understand, are you saying you used a DSU and they did not give you a suite OR that you requested one at check in and were refused either for free or to use a DSU? Most hotels will not give away a suite upgrade unless you're a very frequent guest.

As for the breakfast, that changed months ago after this hotel became the darling of the bloggers and people flocked to get as much as they could for free.

Duke777 May 27, 2015 10:13 am

Originally Posted by uprightposition (Post 24873990)

Not sure if it helps, but we paid cash for our two nights and applied and immediately confirmed a DSU weeks in advance when they were still showing a pool suite. It looked like the hotel was well booked this past weekend, so I was pleasantly surprised that we did get an additional upgrade to an Andaz Suite.

sn0wie May 27, 2015 1:15 pm

So we cannot use points at all for Andaz in JFM? I must have missed the boat on this one...

So much for my brilliant honeymoon plan, I guess we will be staying elsewhere. :mad: Argh!

RTW1 May 28, 2015 12:40 am

They simply haven't loaded all rate classes yet for 2016.... patience or contacting the hotel directly may get you what you want.

milemonkey May 28, 2015 11:52 am

I'm not sure that's the case as dates are available for April and beyond in 2016

sn0wie May 29, 2015 7:03 am

They are sold out for two weeks in Febraury already per their front desk line. Mention of a "large booking."

edit: Confirmed on the above posts. I contacted the hotel directly again and received this response when trying to book with points:
"Cash + points and points awards are not currently available for travel during your request dates in February and March. "

Disappointing.

Jmly00 Jun 16, 2015 12:53 am

Not more cc free night for this hotel?

I looked through the posts since March, and could not find the answers. It seems that andaz maui is not accepting chase cc 2 free nights. I tried a couple days in late September, the standard 25k point room is available, but when I tried to use the free nights, it said it is not available. I went to https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/P...Locations.aspx, and selected night certificant, the HR maui is in the list, but not the andaz maui. Is it true that andaz maui withdraw from the free night certificant programs? Thanks,:confused::confused:

peteropny Jun 16, 2015 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Jmly00 (Post 24976820)
I looked through the posts since March, and could not find the answers. It seems that andaz maui is not accepting chase cc 2 free nights. I tried a couple days in late September, the standard 25k point room is available, but when I tried to use the free nights, it said it is not available. I went to https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/P...Locations.aspx, and selected night certificant, the HR maui is in the list, but not the andaz maui. Is it true that andaz maui withdraw from the free night certificant programs? Thanks,:confused::confused:

If the night is available for points redemption, it should be available for the cc signup nights. However, booking the credit card nights can only be done one night at a time online. It's better to call to book them since the agent can combine both nights in one reservation confirmation rather than 2 separate ones.

The stay certificate that you referenced has nothing to do with the credit card signup bonus nights, they are incentive nights that are sold to companies - individuals used to be able to buy them also.

Jmly00 Jun 18, 2015 1:58 am

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 24977531)
If the night is available for points redemption, it should be available for the cc signup nights. However, booking the credit card nights can only be done one night at a time online. It's better to call to book them since the agent can combine both nights in one reservation confirmation rather than 2 separate ones.

The stay certificate that you referenced has nothing to do with the credit card signup bonus nights, they are incentive nights that are sold to companies - individuals used to be able to buy them also.

Thanks for the clarification, peter. A phone call to the agent did help me get the booking done. Thanks again.^^^

juergenritz Jun 27, 2015 9:47 am

anyone reserved cash & Points stays recently with them ?
tahnks
JR

Milezjunkie Jun 28, 2015 7:51 pm

When I was there last month I asked the front desk about this. They said they offered "some" C&P days in Oct 2015 and "some" in May 2016 and they all booked up. Odds of booking a C&P res at this hotel are slim nowadays. Even the Hyatt Regency Kannapali is hard to find C&P nights. I have some DSUs I wanted to use but at these resorts it looks like that isn't going to happen.

peteropny Jun 29, 2015 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie (Post 25040826)
When I was there last month I asked the front desk about this. They said they offered "some" C&P days in Oct 2015 and "some" in May 2016 and they all booked up. Odds of booking a C&P res at this hotel are slim nowadays. Even the Hyatt Regency Kannapali is hard to find C&P nights. I have some DSUs I wanted to use but at these resorts it looks like that isn't going to happen.

I suggest look for a BRG to submit and get approved, then you can apply the DSU. Last year i used a DSU on a P&C rate but this year, without P&C, the revenue rate was pretty high so I went searching and found a lower rate, got BRG approved and applied the DSU - turns out it's a better deal than last year even though the cash cost is higher but you save the points (and earn more points).

Biggie Fries Jun 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 25042662)
I suggest look for a BRG to submit and get approved, then you can apply the DSU. Last year i used a DSU on a P&C rate but this year, without P&C, the revenue rate was pretty high so I went searching and found a lower rate, got BRG approved and applied the DSU - turns out it's a better deal than last year even though the cash cost is higher but you save the points (and earn more points).

Yeah, I have had a similar experience to yours, and thus had a similar reaction when I read Milezjunkie's post.

Last summer I did get P+C and upgraded it using a DSU.

For this summer, I booked early (cash only), then later took advantage of the 15% Hawai`i discounts to get it down to $433 (and locked in before the annoying resort fee; and applied a DSU). At that price, if I back out the $150 cash, I'm looking at about 2.2 cents per point if a P+C were to materialize. I guess with the 20% back on points (still good for July, right?) I should still check to see if a last minute miracle happens, but otherwise it's close to my indifference point since I like to get over 2 cents per point from Hyatt. (Easy to do if you have a PHV jones.)

What did you get as a BRG?

Dcislander Jun 29, 2015 8:51 pm

FWIW, i've been calling bi-daily to see if I could apply a DSU and today the agent told me the "Andaz Pool Side Suite" is the DSU room. I know that the partial ocean view has been what others have been getting in the recent past.

When I check my stay dates online, the partial ocean view is avail but I keep getting by phone agents told that the DSU would not clear. The Andaz Pool Side Suite does not show up as avail online for my dates.

Can anyone confirm if the DSU room has indeed changed?

coffee18 Jun 30, 2015 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Dcislander (Post 25046350)
FWIW, i've been calling bi-daily to see if I could apply a DSU and today the agent told me the "Andaz Pool Side Suite" is the DSU room. I know that the partial ocean view has been what others have been getting in the recent past.

When I check my stay dates online, the partial ocean view is avail but I keep getting by phone agents told that the DSU would not clear. The Andaz Pool Side Suite does not show up as avail online for my dates.

Can anyone confirm if the DSU room has indeed changed?

I booked last Oct and stayed in June and got the Pool Side Suite. It's real nice, but don't count on any sea views. I think Pool Side is what folks have been getting for some time.

peteropny Jun 30, 2015 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries (Post 25046264)
What did you get as a BRG?

$289 - done last fall way before the Resort Fee. My first and only BRG claim, I got upset that P&C wasn't available (not a surprise) but that suites were not available on a strictly award redemption either but was for DSU - so I went searching.

nyclawgirl Jul 4, 2015 8:49 am

Hey everyone,

I am planning to get married at the Andaz and am really excited for it! Unfortunately, I don't know the Wailea area well nor have I been on the Andaz property itself, and I was wondering for those who have been there already, if you would be able to recommend a nearby location for us to host a welcome event the night before our wedding for all of our guests. We want there to be good drinks and appetizers. Nothing too fancy, more casual. We are already doing our after party at Mulligan's. Any suggestions would be so, so helpful!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

hailstorm Jul 4, 2015 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by nyclawgirl (Post 25068277)
Hey everyone,

I am planning to get married at the Andaz and am really excited for it! Unfortunately, I don't know the Wailea area well nor have I been on the Andaz property itself, and I was wondering for those who have been there already, if you would be able to recommend a nearby location for us to host a welcome event the night before our wedding for all of our guests. We want there to be good drinks and appetizers. Nothing too fancy, more casual. We are already doing our after party at Mulligan's. Any suggestions would be so, so helpful!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

What is your budget? If money is no object, then I would think that the Morimoto on property would be perfect for something like that.