Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

SEATTLE area property comparisons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEATTLE area property comparisons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:11 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:54 pm

Great summary of all properties^. I too prefer the GH over the Olive 8 when available.
I've also seen the gym packed at the GH but also had the place to myself one night.
I know the Hyatt Place wasn't mentioned but that may be a good option for some as well.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:16 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:53 pm

I too favor the Grand Hyatt - for the lounge, fitness center, frequent Diamond upgrades and overall service.

The Olive 8 is a fine alternative, but so is the Hyatt Place, if you can manage the distance from downtown-proper. It's got a better-than-average HP fitness center (i.e., more equipment) though the fitness center layout is kind of dismal/uninspiring. The Olive 8 fitness center has a great view, whereas the GH is windowless.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:30 pm

Since we live in Eastern WA, we tend to spend many weekends in Seattle, and have stayed at all of the Hyatt properties in that area (including the Hyatt Place and Hyatt Houses.) Our favorite, and the one we stay at 80% of the time, is the Hyatt Regency Bellevue. The free parking on the weekends is great, the location is great to walk to several restaurants and shops in downtown Bellevue, and we're only a 15-minute drive (in decent traffic) to downtown Seattle.

When we do stay in Seattle, we usually have the kids with us, so we've been staying at the Hyatt Place. Out of the Grand Hyatt and Olive 8, I prefer the rooms at the Grand, although we still have to go across the street to the Olive 8 to use the pool and what not. Location is great on both properties!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:06 am
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by angatol
If you're staying in the Grand, do they let you use the pool in the Olive 8?
Yes! You can use their pool facilities without any problem. The Olive 8 also has a good restaurant onsite called Urbane that is worth a try, and you can charge it to your room at the Grand as well.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:01 am
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by angatol
Good to know, thanks. So does that mean your room key from the Grand opens the changing room/pool room door in the Olive 8, or do you have to ask? I don't suppose the Olive 8 roomkey grants access to the regency club in the Grand too?
We stayed at the Grand this past March, and didn't use the pool on that occasion, but did charge our dinner at the Olive 8's restaurant to our room. When we stayed at the Grand other years since the Olive 8 opened (2012, 2011), we did use the pool and changing rooms, and were given a card key to use by the front desk after letting them know that we were staying at the Grand.

Not sure about using the Grand's Regency Club if you're staying at the Olive 8. We liked the eco-friendly concept of the Olive 8 when it first opened, and stayed there on a couple of occasions early on, but simply prefer the rooms at the Grand...especially since the rates are pretty much identical (or just a bit more at the Grand) most of the time.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hey guys
I'll be staying at both Grand and Olive 8 during a September 2014 trip just to try them each out as a Diamond. I read this thread with interest but wondering what you think would be ideal for me. I will have no car and so something close to the light rail would be perfect. Also, I could care less about the pool/spa but I am big on breakfast. I need to have a full breakfast every morning (toast, eggs, pancakes once in a while, sausage, etc) and wondering if that alone should tell me to stay in Olive 8, rather than the Grand Hyatt. Of course, we would like a great room, too.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by doss1
Hey guys
I'll be staying at both Grand and Olive 8 during a September 2014 trip just to try them each out as a Diamond. I read this thread with interest but wondering what you think would be ideal for me. I will have no car and so something close to the light rail would be perfect. Also, I could care less about the pool/spa but I am big on breakfast. I need to have a full breakfast every morning (toast, eggs, pancakes once in a while, sausage, etc) and wondering if that alone should tell me to stay in Olive 8, rather than the Grand Hyatt. Of course, we would like a great room, too.
If having a full breakfast is that important to you, I'd personally book the Olive 8 the whole time and if you have any diamond suite upgrades you don't plan on using, I'd use a suite upgrade. Breakfast at the Olive 8 is fantastic, and the suites are MUCH bigger than their standard rooms.

As a Diamond staying at both hotels, I've always been upgraded to a suite for free at the Grand Hyatt but I've never been upgraded to a suite at the Olive 8 without using a Diamond suite upgrade (though I have heard some others have on rare occasion).
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:57 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by doss1
Hey guys
There really isn't any difference location wise - they're a block from each other. If you're concerned about breakfast variety as a Diamond, then Olive 8 hands down since it's a restaurant breakfast rather than in the club. I think you're more likely to get a significant room upgrade , perhaps to a small suite at the GH though.

Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...olive-8-a.html for another discussion albeit a few years old.

Last edited by peteropny; Jan 25, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
^ thanks to you both!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
I too was planning a trip and looked at the two properties. Since it's a family travel(3 adults, 1 child), I need to use the DSU. The "basic" suite (luxury king suite) at Olive8 is much bigger(>970sqft) than the corner suite (~468sqft) at GH. This is assume that you are going to use DSU though, because on paid or point stay, I have read many posters having great upgrade % at GH to a better suite.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
My wife and I will be in Seattle late December/early January and are having a hard time choosing between the GH and the O8. Initially we were leaning toward a suite at the GH because of the better views but at that time of the year what are the chances of having a clear view to Puget Sound, Lake Union etc?

The breakfast at the O8 sounds very good compared to the Grand Club Lounge offerings but the suites, which visitors seem to find very spacious and comfortable, only have views over the city.

If the views are going to be badly compromised by the weather then we would tend to favour the O8.

Appreciate any input from previous guests or local Seattle folk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.