Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Another way Hyatt puts international customers at a disadvantage: BRG claims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres

So I found a 165 vs. 180 Euro rate for the Hyatt Regency Cologne on lastminute.de. I tried to call the BRG hotline to make a BRG claim. The (friendly) guy said he doesn't speak German and therefore cannot process the claim.

My suggestion of Google Translate fell on deaf ears.

So basically, if the website is not in English, you are screwed and cannot make a BRG claim, because they won't let you call your national hotline for that - only the "BRG experts" in the US are authorized to process those claims.

Hyatt needs to wake up and realize that with the credit card in the US, much more expensive properties in Europe, but the same qualification requirements in terms of nights and stays, and less benefits for European members (one thing has just been adjusted with the 1,000 points welcome amenity choice), they are going to lose out in Europe.

Anyway, I booked the Radisson instead now.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That's lame....
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Same thing happened to me regarding a Japanese website.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Could you copy/paste it and send it in via email?? Give them time to look at it?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan
So I found a 165 vs. 180 Euro rate for the Hyatt Regency Cologne on lastminute.de. I tried to call the BRG hotline to make a BRG claim. The (friendly) guy said he doesn't speak German and therefore cannot process the claim.
Call Hyatt Germany, they can handle the BRG.

The same thing happened to me when I found a BRG rate on a German site for the Park Hyatt Tokyo. I was told that they couldn't process a foreign language site, but I could take it up with the German office.

I called the German office (the lady spoke English), and while she couldn't adjust the rate directly, she verified the lower rate and sent notice to Hyatt's BRG team to change the rate. The rate was updated with 20% BRG discount the following day. ^

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Same thing happened to me regarding a Japanese website.
I imagine that you could do the same by calling Hyatt Japan.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ

My suggestion of Google Translate fell on deaf ears.

So basically, if the website is not in English, you are screwed and cannot make a BRG claim, because they won't let you call your national hotline for that - only the "BRG experts" in the US are authorized to process those claims.

Hyatt needs to wake up and realize that with the credit card in the US, much more expensive properties in Europe, but the same qualification requirements in terms of nights and stays, and less benefits for European members (one thing has just been adjusted with the 1,000 points welcome amenity choice), they are going to lose out in Europe.

That's insane! Maybe you should re-think your loyalty and change to another chain?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do they process BRG in German?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by azepine00
do they process BRG in German?
I don't know. I booked a Cash and Points rate.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know. I booked a Cash and Points rate.
So to sum it up: Hyatt was more expensive so you went with Radisson. BRG policies hardly have anythithing to do with it.
It would be nice to have cash and points at hyatt though - i would rather have that than brg in german...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
So to sum it up: Hyatt was more expensive so you went with Radisson. BRG policies hardly have anythithing to do with it.
It would be nice to have cash and points at hyatt though - i would rather have that than brg in german...
You summed up incorrectly. I would have booked Hyatt if the BRG claim had gone through.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You summed up incorrectly. I would have booked Hyatt if the BRG claim had gone through.
And you could have made the claim through Hyatt Germany. Don't blame Hyatt for your lack of initiative.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Really... Hyatt specifically stated that for BRGīs you should call the US number, withing 24hours even. Nowhere is there any mention of only accepting BRGīs in English.

What about a little customer service that the BRG line contact Germany themselves, or even when in doubt just approve the claim. Every English speaker can see whatīs on a German website without any problem or can use Google translate.

The simple fact is they will try every excuse to deny a BRG. Itīs one of the worst implemented policies of Hyatt for me. I hardly ever tried to use it but was rejected with BS reasons the few times I did. Now I just book with others, even when I see a lower Hyatt rate elsewhere...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
What about a little customer service that the BRG line contact Germany themselves, or even when in doubt just approve the claim. Every English speaker can see whatīs on a German website without any problem or can use Google translate.
They offered to do this for me, but it was outside of German business hours, and I wanted to talk with them directly anyway, so I just called them myself.

Google Translate is certainly not legally valid, and also interferes with the workings of a site so that you usually cannot verify the ability to book with it anyway. Directing the approval to more knowledgeable local staff seems reasonable to me...or should Hyatt give me the benefit of the doubt if I find a Swahili site offering the Park Hyatt Maldives for a dollar a night?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What you don't seem to get is that others might have had a different experience as your own.

The OP never indicated the offer was made to have the German team evaluate the BRG. Nor is there any indication on the website that BRG claims are handled anywhere else than in the US, nothing about "foreign" language sites either... Do you really think that someone who has already made the effort to call wouldn't make another call to Germany when that was offered?

And that mirrors my own experiences that most agents are simply looking for a reason to reject the claim.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:47 am

I have few issues with Hyatt's BRG. I mean, they are generally pretty reasonable on most things and not over the top in their attempts to disregard honoring a claim. Try IHG on the other hand, who does accept sites in any language but...they will do ANYTHING to not honor a BRG...and I mean anything. Way more stressful, and I would rather just have Hyatt stay the way it is, and if that means I can call Hyatt Germany and STILL get it honored if I want...that is fine with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.