50 nights - now what?

Old May 28, 13, 5:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
Posts: 205
50 nights - now what?

in the next 10 days, I will hit 50 Hyatt nights for the year, and extend Diamond Status.

Now what?
almost to 25 stays at SPG so another year there is no problem?

any ideas? Hilton?
Wildfan88 is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 7:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,069
Originally Posted by Wildfan88 View Post
in the next 10 days, I will hit 50 Hyatt nights for the year, and extend Diamond Status.

Now what?
almost to 25 stays at SPG so another year there is no problem?

any ideas? Hilton?
Hilton HHonors only if they have an amazing promo starting in July. Hopefully Hyatt and/or SPG comes out with a better promo next round. Marriott has Stay 2 receive a Cat 1-5 free night (max 2 free nights). Since the Wild are out I hope the Bruins play the Kings in the final.
HHonors OUTSIDER is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 7:18 am
  #3  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Why not enjoy that Diamond status by staying at Hyatt?
RTW1 is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 11:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,156
Work on SPG or Hyatt lifetime. Hyatt's lifetime status is not documented, so SPG is more of a sure thing.

One reason to go with Hilton is if you need to protect yourself against miles expiration, which happened to me.

Of course, there's also the actual properties and rates and locations.... the old-school considerations.
JackE is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 12:29 pm
  #5  
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: CVG
Posts: 15,233
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Work on SPG or Hyatt lifetime. Hyatt's lifetime status is not documented, so SPG is more of a sure thing
Not true - Hyatt lifetime Diamond criteria is 10 years membership and 1,000,000 base points (meaning $200.000 in spend) on eligible spending - room rate, most food & beverage etc..
peteropny is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 12:30 pm
  #6  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,000
Originally Posted by Wildfan88 View Post
in the next 10 days, I will hit 50 Hyatt nights for the year, and extend Diamond Status.

Now what?
almost to 25 stays at SPG so another year there is no problem?

any ideas? Hilton?
It's of my opinion that if you stay in premium properties Hilton makes a poor choice due to recent changes in the programs redemption value.
I walked away after 20 plus years with the program and will likely stay 4 or 5 times a year where they have a strong property or location and ignore the program.
Have cut up my older credit cards with them accept for the Hilton Reserve where I get to keep complimentary Gold Status in case it have to use them

You may wish to consider Marriott Rewards they have an incredible group of properties and have really come along way in choices
in the premium category of unique and special properties.
Don't personally do many limited service properties but Marriott has many of them if that's your preference
The program is no blockbuster but a solid satisfactory one and the requirements are too high for elite status
I like having access to their hotels and occasionally they do run a fair promotion.

Another program that has gained some credibility is Club Carlsson

Overseas this can be a jewel of a program with their exceptional Radisson Blu brand which is slowly coming to North America.
The Chicago's property hard product is a notable stand out.
They have created enormous value for their customers through their credit card partner and the revamping of their program.
On a 140 dollar rate in Stockholm Radisson Blu with their top tier status that was granted as a gesture from their corporate office
I had a fantastic fruit platter elegantly wrapped welcome amenity that rivaled a 500 dollar stay at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo as a top tier member

Depending on where you stay I'm also a fan of the InterContinental Ambassador program
Priority Club is looking much better after Hilton ruined much of its program and PC recognition can be very weak
They still have some solid value in room redemption though in the major big cities and frequently have rich point bonus opportunities ^


RTW1 brings up a great point except that I personally am doing more business elsewhere until Hyatt
comes out with something compelling in the promotional end to warrant the lions share of my business away from others who are offering more return during the summer season

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 30, 13 at 5:40 pm
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 8:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Posts: 2,142
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
One reason to go with Hilton is if you need to protect yourself against miles expiration, which happened to me.
I believe that simply purchasing 1,000 HH points will protect you.
travelexpert is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 10:56 pm
  #8  
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes!
Posts: 15,466
Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
Not true - Hyatt lifetime Diamond criteria is 10 years membership and 1,000,000 base points (meaning $200.000 in spend) on eligible spending - room rate, most food & beverage etc..
Is there a way to track base points on the website? (I am likely missing something obvious, )

Or does one need to call an agent?
AJLondon is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 11:21 pm
  #9  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,000
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
Is there a way to track base points on the website? (I am likely missing something obvious, )

Or does one need to call an agent?
Lifetime base points require a call to a Gold Passport agent only lifetime points accumulated may be seen online
Cheers
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old May 29, 13, 12:10 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: world
Programs: all
Posts: 1,414
Just enjoy Hyatt Diamond....

Go for SPG if you want another top tier

Hilton diamond is very easy to get if you have high spend on CC. 40k on Citi Reserve or Amex Surpass. No need to do it the hard way
pantanal is offline  
Old May 29, 13, 12:27 am
  #11  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,000
Originally Posted by pantanal View Post
Just enjoy Hyatt Diamond....

Go for SPG if you want another top tier

Hilton diamond is very easy to get if you have high spend on CC. 40k on Citi Reserve or Amex Surpass. No need to do it the hard way
It's also a complete waste of credit card spend on a tier that is just satisfactory at best and unless staying in a Hilton wont even get you enough points
for 50% now for a redemption night room in a New York City 4 star property
The Hilton Reserve card with free Gold status is a far better value for about 3 dozen reasons but who is counting
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old May 29, 13, 2:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WAS
Programs: AA Ex Plt
Posts: 1,607
Where are you staying? Hyatt Place or Park Hyatt? If HP, I'd status match to Kimpton Inner Circle. If it works for you because of the limited footprint, it's a great status match. Alternatively, if it has been 50 nights at a PH, lucky you!

Cheers -
thegrailer is offline  
Old May 29, 13, 4:26 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by thegrailer View Post
Where are you staying? Hyatt Place or Park Hyatt? If HP, I'd status match to Kimpton Inner Circle. If it works for you because of the limited footprint, it's a great status match. Alternatively, if it has been 50 nights at a PH, lucky you!

Cheers -
mainly HR with a few GH nights.

thanks to all the feedback - will continue to bank points at Hyatt and SPG for now at chase LIFETIME Status
Wildfan88 is offline  
Old May 30, 13, 5:27 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
It's of my opinion that if you stay in premium properties Hilton makes a poor choice due to recent changes in the programs redemption value.
I walked away after 20 plus years with the program and will likely stay 4 or 5 times a year where they have a strong property or location and ignore the program.
Have cut up my older credit cards with them accept for the Hilton Reserve where I get to keep complimentary Gold Status in case it have to use them
As a longtime Hilton Diamond, I sadly need to agree. I have started giving away my Hilton points to friends and family, as the lack of elite recognition and lackluster benefits (no guaranteed late check-out to name one that is important to me) make me unwilling to even use my points when I could instead stay at Hyatt or SPG.
sensei is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: