Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Platinum Extras Awards Update (eliminated 31Dec12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Extras Awards Update (eliminated 31Dec12)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I don't think it's a bad thing that the platinum extras awards are gone. For a company to move forward they must eliminate some factors that don't really create value (as indicated by the low usage) in order to create room for potential new improvements in the future. The only notable features of Platinum are and always have been the complimentary internet and 2pm checkout. Everything else is a blur for me.

Firewind it's unfair to compare hilton gold with hyatt platinum 20 vs 5 stays? 40 vs 15 nights? That sounds more like Hyatt Diamond to me.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Originally Posted by crystak
I don't think it's a bad thing that the platinum extras awards are gone. For a company to move forward they must eliminate some factors that don't really create value (as indicated by the low usage) in order to create room for potential new improvements in the future. The only notable features of Platinum are and always have been the complimentary internet and 2pm checkout. Everything else is a blur for me.

Firewind it's unfair to compare hilton gold with hyatt platinum 20 vs 5 stays? 40 vs 15 nights? That sounds more like Hyatt Diamond to me.
It's fair in a credit card world. The Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card grants Hilton Gold for $95 a year. The Hyatt Visa grants Hyatt Platinum for $75.

It appears that hotel stays are moving towards two major levels. The credit card level isn't going to provide that much value, given its acquisition cost.

Credit Card level, which can be acquired through a credit card or some other promotion: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, PC Platinum, Marriott Silver

Upper level: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Concierge, SPG Platinum, PC Royal Ambassador, Marriott Gold/Platinum

It's a shame, because I am going to drop to Hyatt Platinum next year, and I was looking forward to the certificates. They would add value for me, through points or Regency Club access.
Then again, they were really complicated. There were so many different certificates, and they had to be mailed! Then we only had 90 days to use them. I can see why they had a 25% usage rate.
What I would like to see is an automatic points promo for Platinum members. Say after every 5 stays, one earns 1500 bonus points. This would be less than the Diamond amenity, but is still something tangible. It shouldn't be that hard to program either (though given Hyatt's system, I have no idea if anything's easy). Credit card holders who just make a couple stays don't get much at all, but people who do make 15-20 stays in a year get something.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Perhaps the thread title should be edited to highlight that this benefit is being eliminated? This change goes beyond merely updating the benefit -- it eliminates it.

Given the large number of Hyatt Platinum members created by the Hyatt credit card, giving out these Platinum Extras awards to them too would tend to increase the number of award-eligible Platinums and the non-utilitzation rate. And so this Hyatt created situation is now being used to gut another benefit for Hyatt program customers. This is starting to sound like the blame the customer approach used by the Jeffs of Delta and Hilton "loyalty" program management infamy.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've never been Platinum with Hyatt, but I can imagine why the Platinum Extras Awards were often unused.
I've tried but it's difficult to use them. There aren't that many clubs open anymore in the USA and even hotel restaurants close for lack of business. Although I got little tangible value from them, I'll miss the certificates. They were a nice reminder of my loyalty. The value was not enough to make me work for them, but it's nice to get nonetheless.

Mr. Zidell, please recall the mistake that Dunkin Donuts made with their program changes. They discontinued benefits from their loyalty program (
see Dunkin Donuts rewards program) and promised to "[bring] some great new Perks in 2012". However they simply discontinued the rewards with no replacement at all. They have not followed through with their commitments and have lost good will and loyal customers as a result. I trust that Hyatt can devise "new and innovative ways" to improve their program. But if there's no follow through with what you wrote, Hyatt also will lose my business.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
If no one is using the perk, why do you need to cancel it to bring another one to market? Seems like you could just let it linger and get unused.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I used to be SPG Gold with the Amex Plat, but this year I crossed the threshold of 10 stays to qualify with the usual way. When I did I received a welcome e-mail with a choice of 1000 starpoints or 25$ voucher. I found it was a nice way to said, "you now really deserve Gold due to your loyalty so there is a welcome gift". It was appreciated.
If Hyatt was a bit smart and forgot 2 minutes about their sacred CC, they would have send the welcome Platinum award to those who really crossed the threshold, not only sign up to the CC. Of course I can imagine that lots of people who did sign up for the 2 nights, but don't really stay at Hyatt, just didn't used their certificate...

That's for the welcome Award, now for the every 3 stays award, there is no justification at all to this elimination. You was always able to select instant GP points (1000 to 2500), which was a good progressive way to the Platinum amenity. If you wanted to have a little more and was ready to wait for certificate, you could choice it, but it was optional. So don't say it was to difficult to use (but anyway with the CC I suspect that more than 75% of Plat have less than 5 qualifying stays).

Long story short, Hyatt should run very good promos in 2013 to see me more than 5 times (but I won't hold my breath with what happened this year)
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I cant believe I am writing these words, but without a decent promo, for the first time in 5 years, I may be seeing Marriott properties this year.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by J. Zidell, VP Hyatt Gold Passport
Over the last several years, we have made a number of changes most of which have been enthusiastically endorsed by our members.
Like discontinuance of G bonuses and FFN? Ironically, Club Carlson now advertises their credit card as Faster Free Nights.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
BTW this Platinum Extras gone was not the only change.

Other changes include:
1. No guarantee points/stay credit if you are walk-in (no prior reservation) guest even if you pay an eligible rate
2. Requirement to be a Hyatt Gold Passport member to earn partner miles/points
3. No points given if part of the eligible dining/spa folio is paid using points.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Perhaps the thread title should be edited to highlight that this benefit is being eliminated? This change goes beyond merely updating the benefit -- it eliminates it.
+1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by J. Zidell, VP Hyatt Gold Passport

As you know, our loyalty program continues to devolve.
Fixed it for you.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:00 am

I love how this thread is euphemistically titled "Platinum Extras Awards Update"

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 10, 2012 at 10:47 am
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I love how this thread is euphemistically titled "Platinum Extras Awards Update"
The thread title needs an update. Perhaps someone could alert the mods to edit the thread title to be a more accurate reflection of this topic?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
That stinks, I really liked the awards.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
That stinks, I really liked the awards.
Me, too. They were a nice reminder of incremental business--in other words, that I was getting closer to Diamond. And the extra points, though not a substitute for G bonuses, were certainly better than nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.