Wiki Posts
Search

GP Question about Award Stays

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

GP Question about Award Stays

Hi All,

I've seen some inconsistency regarding my GP account. Hopefully someone can clarify for me.

I signed up for the Hyatt CC and got two free nights. I used both free nights at the same Cat6 PH location (to different stays). Both times a 'stay' was credited to my GP account and I received a small number of points (a few hundred per stay).

More recently, I used both the Hyatt CC anniversary free night, and a free night on points, and neither one of those counted as a 'stay' or awarded any points.

I thought award night were NOT credited as 'stays', so why did I get stay credits for the two nights listed above? Am I lucky, or is that correct?

-WT
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by WaterTree
Hi All,

I've seen some inconsistency regarding my GP account. Hopefully someone can clarify for me.

I signed up for the Hyatt CC and got two free nights. I used both free nights at the same Cat6 PH location (to different stays). Both times a 'stay' was credited to my GP account and I received a small number of points (a few hundred per stay).

More recently, I used both the Hyatt CC anniversary free night, and a free night on points, and neither one of those counted as a 'stay' or awarded any points.

I thought award night were NOT credited as 'stays', so why did I get stay credits for the two nights listed above? Am I lucky, or is that correct?

-WT
Did pay for dining on site at some hotels but not others?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:43 pm

Sometimes they will accidentally credit stay charges especially when you order room service. It doesn't happen often though.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:51 pm

Am I lucky, or is that correct?
You were lucky.

-David
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Better luck than status sometimes...

-WT

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You were lucky.

-David
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K,Hyatt Diamond,AA Lifetime Platinum,SPG
I think it is highly possible that you spend some money in your first two award nights while not for the later ones, while it can not guarantee that you will be credited for stays since not all hotels will trigger with spending.

Hi All,

-WT
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:59 pm

Better luck than status sometimes...
There's nothing wrong with being lucky.

Back in the day, as long as we had one eligible charge, we would get a stay credit. They closed that loophole long ago, but some people still get the occasional stay credit for award or credit card night stays. That's why other people are asking you if you had an eligible charge. But even so, it's still hit or miss.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:05 pm

Sadly room service has never triggered it for me.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:47 am
Original Poster

You guys are correct. Thinking back, for the first two award nights I had charges, once for breakfast, and once for valet (and they charged me the resort fee + tax).

On the second two stays there were 0 additional charges to the room. It would be nice if a breakfast/valet charge would have credited me a stay on the last two visits, but it sounds like it shouldn't.

-WT

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
There's nothing wrong with being lucky.

Back in the day, as long as we had one eligible charge, we would get a stay credit. They closed that loophole long ago, but some people still get the occasional stay credit for award or credit card night stays. That's why other people are asking you if you had an eligible charge. But even so, it's still hit or miss.

-David
Old Sep 27, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
YMMV

I noticed this year that all of my "free / points" nights and stays were counting towards my totals for the year. Each time I had charges on the room (food, bar, spa, etc.).

2 nights HR Tamaya
5 nights GH Kauai
1 night Andaz W. Hollywood

The interesting thing is that my most recent stay at the Andaz WH...the night counted towards the current promo (crossed the 10 night mark with that stay). Thus giving me the extra 10k points one night early.

In the past and always when there were no room charges I would not see any stay credit...and many times would not get amenity points either.

I now make it a point to charge something to the room on points stays.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thinking back, for the first two award nights I had charges, once for breakfast, and once for valet (and they charged me the resort fee + tax).
Well you should not have been charged for the resort fee on an award stay (within Hyatt's T&Cs) - so consider that payment for your stay credit.

Originally Posted by IflyfromPHX
In the past and always when there were no room charges I would not see any stay credit...and many times would not get amenity points either.

I now make it a point to charge something to the room on points stays.
Exactly - at least to make the amenity points post more smoothly - and the stay / night credit becomes more YMMV.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Apparently I am a total idiot, I was sure that I had read something that award nights/stays now counted towards status, but I must have misread, or confused it with SPG. Looks like I might have missed my Diamond requalification because of this .
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Yes, Attorney28, that is a new SPG rule effective Oct. 2011--not Hyatt. Also a long-standing Hilton rule. Also, I got lucky this August with my 2 Chase Fairmont nights.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:55 pm

Just want to confirm...Resort fee should be waived for an award stay?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 5: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Yes it should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.