FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   New Hyatt Card Features (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1386859-new-hyatt-card-features.html)

imm2b Sep 12, 2012 10:54 am

Nothing exciting that will make me take the Hyatt Visa out of the drawer. If they matched the Citi Hilton card $40k spend for Diamond status, then I may bite.

RTW1 Sep 12, 2012 10:58 am

The Hyatt cc is kinda lame... but not having an alternative outside the US is even worst.

JetAway Sep 12, 2012 11:00 am

After an initial fast start because of the two free nights this has quickly become a troubled card because the competition, even within the Chase card family, is too great. The two new enhancements aren't enough to pull it out of its slump.

4aks Sep 12, 2012 11:10 am

Also - can we get details of how these stay/night credits would show up?

Does Jan 2012-Dec 2012 spending above threshold result in a Jan 2013 stay/night credit ?

dw Sep 12, 2012 11:15 am

This change also somewhat mirrors the Marriott Premier card from Chase, which has an annual retention free night (but at a capped category) and gives 2x points on airline tickets, car rentals and dining.

That being said, the Marriott card is really only useful for the retention free night and for use at Marriott properties.

I would imagine the big challenge facing the managers of a lot of Chase co-branded card programs is simply that Chase has developed a product-- the CSP-- which is simply better, earning wise, than all of their co-branded cards.

gozetta Sep 12, 2012 11:25 am

I haven't read the comments in this thread first (I didn't want to be "swayed") but I think this card is doing GREAT THINGS with the benefits. I love the tie in to the status qualification and the extra points at restaurants/gas. That is huge. Great work on this guys! Now, I'll read this thread and get upset I'm sure that not everyone's happy. =)

mreplus Sep 12, 2012 11:25 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 19301998)
I got excited when I received the email earlier thinking game changer for the Hyatt Visa
Was on a conference call and glanced briefly thinking it was free nights for threshold spending like the new Hilton Visa and thought way to go Gold Passport!
Reading more closely its stay credit toward elite status which as many others share is not going to move me from my other Chase card products or American Express Cards.

I also have to question the rational thought process when these are similar benefits of the award winning Starwood Preferred Guest credit card
with read my lips no annual spending thresholds
It appears highly shortsighted not inventive and mimicks other more generous benefits out in the marketplace IMHO
A slight baby step nod for the category spending but easily trumped by other card relationships with far greater versatility in ways to redeem.

Similarly, I glanced at it and thought it was granting me Diamond for my more than 60k in spend per year and was disappointed to find that I would still not be a diamond.

I am exclusively a leisure traveler who stays exclusively at category 5 and 6 properties and even with the extra 10 nights I will only be at 30 nights for the year...despite spending more than 12K on Hyatt this year.

planeluvr Sep 12, 2012 11:47 am

Originally Posted by BigRedBears (Post 19301866)
Non-event. Chase Sapphire is still superior in all the benefits.

+1

Nothing to see here.

austin_modern Sep 12, 2012 11:47 am

Wont really change my hyatt card spend - still only really useful for paying at hyatt properties. Chase Sapphire Preferred still has more flexibility and higher point accrual for restaurants and travel (2% + 7% point dividend)

bbbb Sep 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by planeluvr (Post 19302409)
+1

Nothing to see here.

Nothing but another year of junk emails coming on a daily basis. :td::td::td::td:

EWRfflyer Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm

A big YAWN. I can think of 100X better ways to spend 40k

jumpdogjump Sep 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Nope, not a game changer, but let's not forget this accomplishes a few things:

1. Makes the card more competitive with other chains' cards.
2. Good for the unwashed hordes who may not be into the Ultimate Rewards game.
3. Top of mind awareness - Ad Nauseum Mentions in every travel blog that makes a buck from CC referrals.

Still not sure why they haven't released a business card.

kenbo Sep 12, 2012 12:57 pm

The bonus stay/night credit is worthless if you have no plans to go for Diamond. Some incremental spend may get shifted to this card due to the new spending categories but on the whole, the changes just put them head to head against other cards that offer stronger benefits and returns.

Instead of restaurants, airlines and car rentals, I would have liked to have seen restaurants, gas and grocery stores. That would have been enough for me to shift some of my AMEX spend.

kenbo Sep 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 19302212)
I would imagine the big challenge facing the managers of a lot of Chase co-branded card programs is simply that Chase has developed a product-- the CSP-- which is simply better, earning wise, than all of their co-branded cards.

I'll admit I don't understand who makes the decisions and how they come to decide which features get added, but if I'm a manager of a Chase co-branded credit card, I'm going to try and differentiate my card from the CSP as much as possible. I can't imagine someone at Hyatt doesn't recognize this. Are there some other factors in play here?

dw Sep 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by kenbo (Post 19302857)
I'll admit I don't understand who makes the decisions and how they come to decide which features get added, but if I'm a manager of a Chase co-branded credit card, I'm going to try and differentiate my card from the CSP as much as possible. I can't imagine someone at Hyatt doesn't recognize this. Are there some other factors in play here?

We all know that this card has never been great, other than the sign-up bonus, and that Hyatt and Chase have been thinking of ways to enhance it for some time now-- we've heard scattering reports of cardmembers taking surveys over the past few months, and I personally attended a focus group on this card and its benefits well over one year ago. I'm a little surprised it has taken this long for them to add benefits that I think a FT focus group could come up with in five minutes.

The good thing is that they have made some changes. Let's not forget that the anniversary free night was not originally part of the card's benefits and was just added about one year ago, and now one year later they have added some new benefits. Of course, during the past two years a lot has changed with competitor cards-- there are now far more cards with no forex fees (one of the big differentiators when the Hyatt card first came out), and of course now there is the CSP which was overhauled significantly last summer. So I suppose these changes have really been more reactionary than anything else.

Perhaps there will be something else in store for us cardholders one year from now...