Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:52 am

MRT and LRT is not terribly convenient in KL in general, so within that context, GH KL isn't really that poorly positioned.

But as mentioned, grab is usually the way to go and GH KL is well-located in terms of places to walk to. I never noticed terrible traffic, again, relatively-speaking.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
LRT is closer to the hotel than MRT, at the KLCC station. Can be useful for getting to/from KL Sentral (for the airport express train) and the older/historic parts of the city (using the Masjid Jamek station).
kevino likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:47 am
Community Director Emerita

Grab is so affordable and easy it didn't cross our minds there might be a cheaper alternative.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:52 pm

Thanks - definitely will use Grab if more viable. I was more afraid of traffic (e.g. Bangkok). Also I have kids so Grab may not be an option.

How strict are the rules with car seat? It was hit or miss when I was in Singapore..
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shfflz
Thanks - definitely will use Grab if more viable. I was more afraid of traffic (e.g. Bangkok). Also I have kids so Grab may not be an option.

How strict are the rules with car seat? It was hit or miss when I was in Singapore..
I don't think they're strict with baby seats or seat belts.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Had a great 24 hour stay this week. Paid for two nights @$150 since I had an early arrival, and got a sweet at check-in Globalist upgrade to a huge 1BR/2BA corner suite overlooking the city and directly at Petronas Towers. Used Grab or just walked since the weather was excellent and not oppressive.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
A decade or so since I first stayed here, this hotel remains my favourite Hyatt in the world. I could happily spend weeks here at a time.

Check-in was a little slow and I was told that mobile wallets aren’t accepted for guarantees which meant I needed to handover cash. The welcome note from the lounge manager includes a club floor benefit of two pieces of laundry which is always appreciated. Luggage also took a little longer to arrive than I would have liked but I think this is probably a result of the extra journey required from the ground floor, up to the lobby and then down to the guest floors.

I applied a suite upgrade award and received the fantastic grand suite king. Waiting in the room was a welcome note from the GM, a whole fruit plate and a small box of hotel chocolates. The suite was showing signs of wear (e.g. the ceiling above the shower was bubbling a little and one of the wardrobe doors came off its track quite easily) but is still a first-rate use of an upgrade award. The shoeshine service that was previously offered seems to have gone (unless housekeeping simply didn’t restock the bag and card).

The Grand Club remains a wonderful place. Although I think the evening spread has been slightly pared back, it is still extensive. I’ve commented before that I think the hotel does itself a bit of a disservice by making it so good. One of these days, I’ll restrain myself from filling up in the lounge and actually eat at JP Teres or room service. There’s not a huge selection of alcoholic beverage but the food, view and ambiance certainly make up for it.

Breakfast in the restaurant (available for club guests or at least for Globalists) is still phenomenal. You really need a golf buggy to get yourself from one end of the buffet to the other. It was impossible to get a hot cup of tea, which always annoys me and I found it odd that there’s no salt and pepper shakers on the tables. It’s just incredible the amount of food and the variety that’s offered day after day. It does get busy and hectic, though. I’ve taken to having the bulk of my breakfast in the restaurant before retiring to the lounge for coffee and a Danish where it’s far more relaxed. The breakfast in the lounge, though, is still a very good offering and better than what you’d find in a lot of lounges.

The F&B poolside menu has been vastly expanded since my last visit several months ago. With cocktails for MYR38, smoothies for MYR22 and a scoop of ice cream for MYR8, the prices are all very reasonable.

The hotel seemed to have embarked on a big sustainability drive in recent months, going so far as to (digitally) publish a booklet about all its alleged green initiatives. Like most hotels, it claims to be green when it comes to housekeeping, but, again like 99% of the hotels I stay at, it’s all lip service (or maybe lies). Despite the little card by the bed saying towels and bed linen are only changed after every three nights and despite the feelgood booklet proudly proclaiming similar, my bath towel - left hanging every day - was changed no less than eight times in four nights (courtesy the very nice evening turndown service). It’s appalling and marred an otherwise fantastic stay. I also fail to understand how the standard operating procedure for any hotel, let alone one that shouts its alleged green credentials, is to leave turned on every conceivable light in the room after housekeeping.

On this occasion I took the train from KLIA2to KL Sentral for MYR55, then an “executive” taxi for MYR40. The whole journey was about an hour. Grab was showing MYR65 but, in my experience, the travel time can be quite a bit longer and I’ve always struggled with getting sufficient airport wifi coverage at the rideshare collection point. Going back to KLIA2, I took a Grab to KL Sentral for MYR11 and the train for MYR55.

Take me back any day of the week.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:22 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Does anyone have experience with how this hotel handles Globalist suite upgrades for those who have booked twin rooms (i.e. two beds). The suite descriptions on the website all mention "single king bed" or similar.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:16 pm

No idea but you can get a rollaway for free into the suites. They've also got daybeds.
Roaming Ryan and wantan like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:00 am

The lounge cocktail hours got a minor degrade (no salmon; less selection for cold section) but the cooked food is still exceptional. It's getting harder to get upgrades here. As an explorist only got garden view upgrade. Even as globalist in 2023 I rarely got suite and mostly twin towers view room. Club access does allow to use main restaurant for breakfast.
Mae Zieg likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xhruso00
The lounge cocktail hours got a minor degrade (no salmon; less selection for cold section) but the cooked food is still exceptional. It's getting harder to get upgrades here. As an explorist only got garden view upgrade. Even as globalist in 2023 I rarely got suite and mostly twin towers view room. Club access does allow to use main restaurant for breakfast.
The hotel is always pretty busy. I would recommend using a SUA here, if possible.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:46 am

It's crazy that the 2 GHs in KL and Jakarta are regularly priced on par or higher than the 2 MOs nearby. High occupancy rate is a deciding factor.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:11 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by xhruso00
Club access does allow to use main restaurant for breakfast.
Is this a new policy ??
Last year got upgraded as explorist to a club room and was able to eat breakfast in the main restaurant without problems.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
It's crazy that the 2 GHs in KL and Jakarta are regularly priced on par or higher than the 2 MOs nearby. High occupancy rate is a deciding factor.
To be honest that MO is rather old. The FS opposite is new however, and has 2 world class dining experiences within!
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Is this a new policy ??
Last year got upgraded as explorist to a club room and was able to eat breakfast in the main restaurant without problems.
It appears your experience matches what the poster stated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.