FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Coral Gables (Miami) FL REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/135482-hyatt-regency-coral-gables-miami-fl-review-master-thread.html)

BAGoldBoy Dec 16, 2012 7:43 am

I now remember why I had decided never to stay at this property again :mad:

Our suite is a Petite Suite in a Mediterranean style. This means that it is a small dark room with little natural light and furniture that looks old and out of place. Even though I always request a quiet room, high floor, away from elevators we have a low floor room next to the service entrance which started opening and closing at 6AM.

Breakfast was a complete bloody farce. The restaurant is almost empty. We had our order taken - 2 eggs and a wrap. After 25 minutes of other people sitting down and getting food I asked what was going on. The server checked and sait it would be soon but nothing appeared. Finally spoke to a supervisor who said she would rush it! 30+ minutes for two eggs and toast - we said forget it. On our way to Dennys.

I will never, never stay at this sh!thole again

bmw303 Dec 16, 2012 5:15 pm

This is an outstanding hotel....when I came here as a Diamond I had prompt service, and an outstanding suite upgrade (Terrace Suite)..complimentary..and for multiple nights.

This hotel goes out of its way to please. sorry your experience was less.

BAGoldBoy Dec 16, 2012 5:54 pm

We used to stay at this property whenever we were in MIA. We had some great rooms and great service but then we had 3 stays in a row which were awful. We vowed never to go back but after 3 years we thought we would try again.

There was no Diamond recognition unlike the other 4 Hyatt FL properties we have stayed at this last week or so. The Coral Gables rate was the highest we paid and the worst experience. The hotel was almost empty but at check in our room wasn't available and they couldn't tell us how long it would be. I have been Diamond for many years and this property ranks as the worst Hyatt in my mind.

I guess you must be lucky.

JoshC Dec 16, 2012 6:44 pm

My last stay here the rooms smelled like mold. We asked to be moved and we were told that what we smelled was "new paint" - I asked if they had just painted and the answer was "No, but that is what it smells like".

I stayed at the Hilton last week when I was in town...

crystak Dec 25, 2012 11:28 am

Originally Posted by JoshC (Post 19869528)
My last stay here the rooms smelled like mold. We asked to be moved and we were told that what we smelled was "new paint" - I asked if they had just painted and the answer was "No, but that is what it smells like".

Unfortunately I've had the same problem.

On another note, I see they've now also introduced a breakfast buffet which I was very happy about ^. Less waiting around and more variety to choose from. However, I wish they would add a ham/salami/cheese plate.

Andaz5 Dec 26, 2012 3:37 pm

The mold smell is pretty common in Florida. If you think the Coral Gables has an odor problem stay at the Hyatt Regency Downtown, or the Hyatt Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale... you will quickly go back the Coral Gables, as both of those hotels have an earthy, musty odor.

Originally Posted by crystak (Post 19918767)
Unfortunately I've had the same problem.

On another note, I see they've now also introduced a breakfast buffet which I was very happy about ^. Less waiting around and more variety to choose from. However, I wish they would add a ham/salami/cheese plate.

crystak Dec 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Andaz5 (Post 19924210)
The mold smell is pretty common in Florida. If you think the Coral Gables has an odor problem stay at the Hyatt Regency Downtown, or the Hyatt Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale... you will quickly go back the Coral Gables, as both of those hotels have an earthy, musty odor.

I know it's pretty common but I have stayed at both those properties and the mold smell was not as strong. Having said that, when I stayed at Coral Gables in the summer the mold smell wasn't strong either so I think it varies room to room, and it's especially worse if you can't open the window like in the main building block.

Andaz5 Dec 26, 2012 11:27 pm

I won't stay at the Hyatt Regency Miami as the mold smell greets you once you step off the elevator... the hallways reek of earth and muddy river smell. They have removed the carpet in many of the rooms and replaced with tile in an effort to kill the smell... :confused: I have not had this smell at Coral Gables... but consider every time I stay there I'm upgraded to a Terrace Suite.:cool:

Originally Posted by crystak (Post 19924403)
I know it's pretty common but I have stayed at both those properties and the mold smell was not as strong. Having said that, when I stayed at Coral Gables in the summer the mold smell wasn't strong either so I think it varies room to room, and it's especially worse if you can't open the window like in the main building block.

BAGoldBoy Dec 27, 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by crystak (Post 19924403)
I know it's pretty common but I have stayed at both those properties and the mold smell was not as strong.

+1

I stayed in all three of these properties in the past couple of weeks. The only one that was dank and musty was Coral Gables.

TerryK Jan 9, 2013 1:03 pm

What is the difference between Petite and Junior Suites?:confused:

sophiegirl Jan 9, 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 20011606)
What is the difference between Petite and Junior Suites?:confused:

Small and smaller. :)

opus2002 Jan 13, 2014 11:33 am

I am planning to stay at this property in April using award points (non-elite), but I am getting scared of the room conditions (dark, smelly) based on the reports here. Should I be looking to stay elsewhere on award points (Westin Coral Gables perhaps)?

pdb Jan 15, 2014 7:00 am

Originally Posted by opus2002 (Post 22145937)
I am planning to stay at this property in April using award points (non-elite), but I am getting scared of the room conditions (dark, smelly) based on the reports here. Should I be looking to stay elsewhere on award points (Westin Coral Gables perhaps)?

I've stayed at this property dozens of times over the years (last stay: July-13) and I have never encountered this problem. Having said that, of course, there is higher humidity in South Florida.

Andaz5 Jan 20, 2014 4:14 pm

I've never have had a dark and smelly room here, don't trust the reports your going to miss out on a nice hotel.

Originally Posted by opus2002 (Post 22145937)

mile ho Apr 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Andaz5 (Post 22190364)
I've never have had a dark and smelly room here, don't trust the reports your going to miss out on a nice hotel.

Stayed there in April. Received a Petite Suite which was nice and breakfast was very nice. No complaints as a Diamond. Would stay there again.