Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Xian REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 7/1/11

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Xian REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 7/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I stayed as a Plat last month. Breakfast was hugely expensive for China, and was not included in my room rate. I did not get any sort of upgrade. The hotel has an old-school atrium, and smokers can light up at any time in the atrium, making even a "non-smoking" floor not entirely comfortable for anyone sensitive to smoke.

The rooms are definitely showing their age, and the bathrooms are run-down. The water did not drain fast enough, and the a/c was not strong enough.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: HH Dia, WOH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plt
Originally Posted by LAXGUY
Beyond the city wall and the Warriors, your message doesn't say what you did in Xian. Did you go to the Muslim Quarter or to the Shaanxi History Museum? Those were highlights of my visit a few years ago. If you mainly walked the area around the Hyatt, and didn't explore outside the walls other than to see the Warriors, I can understand your reaction.
We went to BanPo Village, Terracotta Warriors, City Wall, Bell and Drum Towers, Muslim Quarter, plus just walked the side streets for a few hours, chilled out and people watched, etc. Didn't go to the Shaanxi Museum.

As I said, maybe I was just missing something and I'm glad you had a good time. I've found that sometimes a foreign city just doesn't click with me -- maybe our horrendous taxi experience from the Xian airport at midnight and the incessant haggling and fighting back against being "worked" just set the wrong tone. For example: I've never understood how I can stand at a baozi stand, watch three locals go up and buy some and see them pay, then when I get there, the price is jacked up 10 times despite the sign above that lists the price. And then when I say "no" I don't want the laowai price and point at the sign, intense haggling ensues. Maybe I just look like an easy mark!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:25 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Alumino
[...] For example: I've never understood how I can stand at a baozi stand, watch three locals go up and buy some and see them pay, then when I get there, the price is jacked up 10 times despite the sign above that lists the price. And then when I say "no" I don't want the laowai price and point at the sign, intense haggling ensues. Maybe I just look like an easy mark!
Because Xi'an is swarmed by laowai package tourists, carried on a bus from hotel-restaurant to hotel-restaurant and sight to sight not once touching "authentic" Chinese terra, and who are willing to pay anything for everything. "Baozi, 20 kuai" -"Honey, that's just 3 Dollars, we take two, please"... If I were a baozi hawker, I'd probably do the same. Xi'an has gotten worse over the last years.

That being said, the Hyatt is my favorite in Xi'an (take it over the Shangri Las) and the Muslim quarter is still worth visiting; however if you want to avoid the aforementioned, stay far outside the city center...
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:17 am

Spent a fair amount of time here over the last year. Nice walk around the wall at night. Very interesting stuff going on all the time. Bell tower, Drum tower, Muslim street are all interesting walks. Countless restuarants open at all hours within walking distance. Some very interesting characters out and around town. Always felt really safe even late at night, but never stray too far outside the wall.

While I like the Hyatt Xian, the last stay was really bad. Some of the circumstances that detracted from my experience:
1) As a diamond I entered my room to find a letter from the RC manager telling me it would be an extra charge for breakfast in the restaurant. Maybe I don't deserve breakfast as a diamond, but breakfast was offered on previous stays and I wasn't even diamond at that point. Usually I to take the RC for a quick bite and coffee, but I felt a letter like that on arrival was really poor on the part of Hyatt.
2) Rooms are worn out. Lighting console on nightstand is not a helpful device. There are things about the room that feel cheap - Shower doors are folding plastic for instance.
3) Staff is very friendly and will always be polite, however they definitely have their favorites and can make the regular guest feel somewhat invisible.
4) Bar is hideously expensive. And always look at your bill before paying. Filipina singers are nice, but seem to be hired there under sketchy circumstances, if you know what I mean. I'm sure that kind of thing happens all over the place in Asia, just don't like to see it at the Hyatt.

All things considered, I think HR is probably worth another try. HR is one of the few western style hotels inside the wall. The other being Sofitel a few blocks away. Sheraton is outside the wall and the new Westin will be out by the large pagoda (good neighborhood).

Word is HR Xian will get a remodel soon and I'm sure they will do a nice job.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:06 pm

Unhappy

I got a call today from Gold Passport telling me that as of July 1st this hotel will no longer be under Hyatt management and that because of that they had cancelled my award stay in July. The agent told me my points had been returned to my account and that I would receive a cancellation email (which I did a few minutes later).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
I stayed here on 5/31/11 to 6/2/11. I haven't stayed at a lot of Hyatt properties (I prefer HH), and I was severely disappointed in the hotel. I only stayed there because Marriott and Hilton didn't have properties in Xian.

I got an upgraded room with Executive Lounge access, free breakfast and free internet, and that was the highlight of my stay. The room was in dire need of upgrading (still stuck in early 80s decor), with an uncomfortable bed and sparse amenities. I had a room with a King bed and two bathrooms. There were no usable electrical outlets by the desk (I had to unplug the desklamp to charge my laptop), and only one plug in the bedroom.

It was located within walking distance of the Bell and Drum Towers and the City Wall which was a plus.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:34 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
I stayed here on 5/31/11 to 6/2/11. I haven't stayed at a lot of Hyatt properties (I prefer HH), and I was severely disappointed in the hotel. I only stayed there because Marriott and Hilton didn't have properties in Xian.

I got an upgraded room with Executive Lounge access, free breakfast and free internet, and that was the highlight of my stay. The room was in dire need of upgrading (still stuck in early 80s decor), with an uncomfortable bed and sparse amenities. I had a room with a King bed and two bathrooms. There were no usable electrical outlets by the desk (I had to unplug the desklamp to charge my laptop), and only one plug in the bedroom.

It was located within walking distance of the Bell and Drum Towers and the City Wall which was a plus.
Could you please PM your reservation details to me? I will be happy to look at your reservation details.

Thank you!

-Nick B.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: UA1K,MM
Has anyone stayed there since July 1, when it stopped being a Hyatt?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
That is too bad if it left the Hyatt chain. A solid property.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:15 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
That is too bad if it left the Hyatt chain. A solid property.
Indeed it has left the Hyatt chain - not in the listing anymore - I'll retitle the thread.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Well. Fortunately been there.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:03 pm

Advice please regarding Mobility to Visit the WARRIORS

Originally Posted by JDiver
We stayed mid-May 2009 and had a very good stay.

The best thing about this hotel is the location - as others have said, you can walk to a number of shopping locations, restaurants (including the Hui (Muslim minority) restaurant Lao Sun Jia, Defachang dumpling restaurant, the bell tower, etc.) You can easily walk to the nearest City Gate (and if you want to tour is, as others mention it is HUGE - about 2 miles per side, so use the bicycles available for rent, or use the golf cart service.)

I am unsure about the rates, as we were with a National Geographic Expedition (some of the perquisites included lecture by the Curator at the Terra Cotta Warriors in the VIP salon, use of the VIP viewing platform and access to the restoration platform - walking among the warriors is quite a thrill!) I would also recommend visiting the tomb of Qin Shihuang, to see another take on terra cotta company for the afterlife .

The rooms are normal sized, and spare - almost ascetic - with firm beds and good HVAC and amenities. HSIA is via Ethernet and CNY 80 per 24 hours, lighting is decent but not remarkable, electricity operation is using a master switch you insert a card in (or, a folded bit of cardboard or heavy paper... ) All the mold cons were provided, including ironing set, and laundry was speedy. Of course, the minibar was overpriced, but this is a hotel.

Service was excellent, the restaurant was quite good (breakfast buffet quite well done,) and the shops are unbelievably pricey - get souvenirs elsewhere (one of our party chose to purchase a full-sized terra cotta replica of a General - he was able to get it to CNY 1,800 at the TC Museum, including shipping to Seattle and insurance - the hotel wanted nearly CNY 8,000 for the same; another indicator is as we stopped to glance, three staff descended on us!)

If I were visiting Xi'an, I would stay here again in a trice, and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.
JDiver: Could you share any comments/observations regarding the accessibility to see and walk amongst the warriors. My wife has a bum knee and doesn't negotiate stairs very well. I had read that those who are physically challenged may find it very difficult to visit the venue. Basically, are there many and/or uneven stairs leading down to the site? Are there hand rails? This might be a visit-breaker .... Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by XFed2001
JDiver: Could you share any comments/observations regarding the accessibility to see and walk amongst the warriors. My wife has a bum knee and doesn't negotiate stairs very well. I had read that those who are physically challenged may find it very difficult to visit the venue. Basically, are there many and/or uneven stairs leading down to the site? Are there hand rails? This might be a visit-breaker .... Thanks in advance.
Just returned 2 weeks ago. When you first enter there are a few stairs (like maybe 20), then you have no more throughout touring the pit, which you circle around. If you want to PM me with your email, I will send you some photos of the stairs. Perhaps you could rent a wheelchair for the day and just lift your wife down the stairs because the Warriors are soooooooo worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.