Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
You must have missed all those obnoxious Nigerians....
How do they get in the Country btw?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
How do they get in the Country btw?
Same way everyone else does?

Last I heard it's not illegal to be Nigerian.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

But I assume they need something of a work permit?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by RTW1
You must have missed all those obnoxious Nigerians....
I don't find them exceptionally more annoying or obnoxious than the japanese men and asian women touting sex services around shibuya and shinjuku. Just keep walking and ignore them. Besides the fact that it's more of an expat area, nothing wrong or bad with the area.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Why is Roppongi unpleasant? I found lots of expats walking around with their children... didn't come across anything seedy at all... and the lane leading to Azabu Juban, with its restaurants and local shops, to be quite quaint.
I should have clarified, just unpleasant around the RC area. We got lots of stares from expats (including the ones out on the town). We didn't explore Azabu Juban, sounds like that would've been more interesting
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:57 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Why is Roppongi unpleasant? I found lots of expats walking around with their children... didn't come across anything seedy at all... and the lane leading to Azabu Juban, with its restaurants and local shops, to be quite quaint.
I too have never found it unpleasant other than the renovation inside the complex/ the mall which was highly disruptive to the shopping experience there
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hailstorm
To summarize, he wanted me to cancel one reservation, call Hyatt, and make another reservation as Guest of Honor type.

I'm a long time customer and Diamond member, you know I'm going to be entitled to these benefits anyway...and you're still going to force me to jump through every procedural hoop to get them?
Does GP reimburse the hotel in any way for GOH bookings? If so that would be understandable.

I find the GHT to be my favorite Hyatt property to stay in Tokyo nowadays considering the service slip at the PHT and the disastrous Hyatt Regency. Andaz is alright but really not my cup of tea.

I have received nothing but excellent service here in the past 12 months.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I am going to be staying in Roppongi nearby the Grand Hyatt bit will be arriving at Noon. However I can't get into the place I'm staying until 5pm. I wonder if I could just go to the Grand Hyatt and ask the bellhop to hold my luggage (and just say that I am checking in later that day). And then around 5pm just come back and claim my luggage and say my plans have changed (even though I never had a ressie at the Hyatt for later in the day). I've never had a need to do this before and it surely would work in most hotels (since he luggage places never ask). But I am wondering if in Japan or at this hotel if it would be different for some reason? Thoughts?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I am going to be staying in Roppongi nearby the Grand Hyatt bit will be arriving at Noon. However I can't get into the place I'm staying until 5pm. I wonder if I could just go to the Grand Hyatt and ask the bellhop to hold my luggage (and just say that I am checking in later that day). And then around 5pm just come back and claim my luggage and say my plans have changed (even though I never had a ressie at the Hyatt for later in the day). I've never had a need to do this before and it surely would work in most hotels (since he luggage places never ask). But I am wondering if in Japan or at this hotel if it would be different for some reason? Thoughts?
Don't even try. It won't work. They will ask.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Worked for me, but they all know me. Usually I _am_ actually staying there though and checking in later, although occasionally not the case - and I told them - and they were fine. But it pays to be a regular customer.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Even if I show them my Diamond status card? btw - is this the same for all hotels in Japan? Perhaps I could try an alternate hotel if this level of security is specific to the Grand Hyatt.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:53 am

They would do it for a regular. Otherwise, I would not bother trying.

Lockers in train stations are easy enough to find in Japan. There should be a place to store baggage in the area, but I can't think of exactly where off the top of my head.

Another idea would be to forward your baggage from the airport or wherever you are coming from using Yamato Takubin (or whatever they call that service). You could travel hands free, and then have your bags delivered to where you are staying at a convenient time.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 1, 2016 at 1:02 am
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Even if I show them my Diamond status card? btw - is this the same for all hotels in Japan? Perhaps I could try an alternate hotel if this level of security is specific to the Grand Hyatt.
I frown very much on this idea, but as information, we have left luggage after checkout at almost every stay anywhere in Japan, hundreds of stays at dozens of different hotels, and have never been asked anything about being a staying guest, not even once. Nor have I ever volunteered any such information. I simply walk up to the bell desk and say I want to leave stuff until approx. whatever time we plan to be back. The confirm the number of pieces and ask if there is anything especially breakable or valuable, and ask my name, and that's it.

At around noon they will probably assume you have just checked out.

Also, I would venture that sometimes as many as half or even more of the people leaving luggage, packages, or whatever are not staying guests, but rather at the hotel for a wedding or other event or just having lunch or dinner.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:00 am

At least have a proper lunch at GHT if you are planning to leave bags there. The food is good, and that way you are actually a paying guest and have a legitimate reason to ask them to keep your bags.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
At least have a proper lunch at GHT if you are planning to leave bags there. The food is good, and that way you are actually a paying guest and have a legitimate reason to ask them to keep your bags.
That's a great idea. I'd be quite happy to enjoy lunch there - and can ask them to hold my bags while I do it. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.