Search

Mainz or Cologne?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Mainz or Cologne?

I've got an open night next week on a trip to Germany and I'm looking for a recommendation on where to spend it, either at the Cologne or Mainz hotel.

1) Which has the nicest Regency Club and RC rooms?
2) Best place for a good dinner that evening?
3) Best town to spend a few hours walking around the following morning?

I'm not really interested in the touristy stuff because I used to live over there and have traveled extensively through Germany, although never to either city. I don't think I could go wrong with either hotel, but does anyone have any personal recommendations?
Old Feb 26, 2003, 1:33 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JJeffrey:
I've got an open night next week on a trip to Germany and I'm looking for a recommendation on where to spend it, either at the Cologne or Mainz hotel.

1) Which has the nicest Regency Club and RC rooms?
2) Best place for a good dinner that evening?
3) Best town to spend a few hours walking around the following morning?

I'm not really interested in the touristy stuff because I used to live over there and have traveled extensively through Germany, although never to either city. I don't think I could go wrong with either hotel, but does anyone have any personal recommendations?
</font>

I personally prefer the Mainz Hyatt:
- nicer rooms (take the Rheine view ones)
- very good Restaurant (I prefer the Bellpeper over the Graugans)
- Regency club has better food in COlogne, but is nicer in Mainz
- Mainz is a nice town
Old Feb 26, 2003, 1:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I too am a Hyatt Regency Mainz freak. It has some of the nicest public spaces ever seen in a city hotel with an ancient fortress renovated and integrated in the hotel. This property also has more than just decent rooms with nice bathrooms. Bellpepper restaurant is very nice although not as good as Graugans in Cologne (which has a 16/20 rating in Gaullt&Millau). As far as RCs are concerned, I can just speak of the Mainz one and only for breakfast which is very nice with more than just the usual RC stuff. You can't go wrong with either!

Muerz

P.S. Jump over to my Hyatt Review Website for detailed reviews on both properties!

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu
Old Feb 26, 2003, 5:48 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Totally agree with the above. Mainz Hyatt was one of the best I've experienced. As for dining the hotel has a wonderful restaurant facing the Rhine, but there is also an entertainment / shopping center connected to the hotel which would give you lots of other options. I haven't travelled as extensively in Germany as you, but I did find Mainz to be a much more interesting city than Cologne to wander around in.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 6:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
Totally agree with the above. Mainz Hyatt was one of the best I've experienced. As for dining the hotel has a wonderful restaurant facing the Rhine, but there is also an entertainment / shopping center connected to the hotel which would give you lots of other options. I haven't travelled as extensively in Germany as you, but I did find Mainz to be a much more interesting city than Cologne to wander around in. </font>
Fort Mallakof (sp?) is nice, but one should take the short walk to the old town and the cathedral.

Muerz: Regardless of ratings, I prefer the bellpeper over the Graugans.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
I haven't travelled as extensively in Germany as you, but I did find Mainz to be a much more interesting city than Cologne to wander around in. </font>
Well, I would not really second that. Cologne has really lots to offer; if you decide to come here, let me know and I will give you some recommendations as to what to see and do.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 26, 2003, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great info everyone, I decided to go with Mainz, booked a RC room w/ Rhine view for 180 euro. The hotel looks neat, I really like how contemporary the GH is in Berlin and this property looks similar. Quick question, is the hotel within walking distance to the Mainz Hbf? Also, any must-see restaurants or attractions to check out with a few hours to kill?
Old Feb 26, 2003, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
Great choice of hotel. I love the Mainz property.

There is an S-Bahn station about a block and a half from the hotel. From the hotel you walk to the Hotel Ibis and continue up that street. I'm not 100% sure that the name of that station is Mainz Hbf - It may be Mainz Sud or something like that.

The Regency Club has a fantastic breakfast and be sure you treat yourself to an extra long shower or soak in the tub. The bathrooms are fabulous.

Add me to the list of BellPepper fans. I love when they have theme weeks. I was there once when they flew in a bunch of Aussie chefs. Yum Yum Yum!
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:04 pm

The first time I stayed at the Mainz HR, was 5 years ago and it had just opened. I'll be there again this Saturday. I agree with everyone, I think it is a very nice hotel, probably worthy of a 'Grand' designation. The closest train station is Mainz South.

http://mainz.regency.hyatt.com/mainz/map.html
Old Feb 27, 2003, 1:25 am

As always, Moonpet is right.

The station is called "Mainz-Süd" and the S8 will take you there from Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (Main Station) or the airport. It takes about 25 minutes to get to Mainz-Süd from the airport.

During the summertime, the Bellpepper has an outdoor terrace... very nice!
Old Feb 27, 2003, 3:41 am

JJeffrey, when will you be there exactly ?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by peter42:
JJeffrey, when will you be there exactly ?</font>
I'll be arriving on March 7th, spending the night, and heading up to Aachen on the 8th.

Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:54 pm

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
I have stayed over 20 times at the Hyatt Mainz. (diam)
When paying a standard room do NOT expect to get a better room then a rhein-blick room.
(not really spacious, but satisfying)

I like the studio rooms, but the extra charge of ca. 80 euro is quite high.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 12:48 pm

[This message has been edited by peter42 (edited 03-06-2003).]
Old Mar 11, 2003, 8:13 am

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
We just got back from both and must have missed you all...

I think I would vote for Cologne, but a lot has to do with Ahmed the incredible RC manager there.

I thought the RC food was better at Cologne and they definitely had a lot more variety, but that is just me. I don't know if "dinner" at the RC at CGN is always Asian but both times we have gone on Saturday night and both times the same. The Cologne Hbf is right across the bridge very easy walk.

We were in Mainz on Saturday night and it was very nice. The Mainz Hbf is pretty close, we took a cab and it was $8.

Anyone heading back over to see us soon???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.