Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Arlington REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Arlington REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1) Metro unless you really have a lot of luggage. No stairs and no transfers. The station is within a block of the hotel with the walk being mostly indoors, although it's easy to get disoriented when looking for the hotel entrance.
While the Metro works very well for this property when coming in from DCA, the walk is outdoors (and uphill) enough -- even if using the stairs to make the short walk (and going via the hotel's parking lot) shorter -- that I've gotten soaked plenty of times when going from the metro to this hotel even when using the stairs to make the short (uphill) outdoor walk even shorter than the "no stairs" way.

For the FTer to get from this hotel to Ft. Belvoir the cheapest way for one person not using a car, that would probably be to take the metro to King Street Station and hop on the buses running express to Richmond. Personally, I'd suggest getting a car for the journey between the hotel and the destination if planning to same-day return to the hotel.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 23, 2014 at 10:21 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Just completed a one-night stay here over New Year's Eve. Booked a My Elite Rate for $71 several months ago and applied a DSU as I wanted NYE to be a bit special.

Location: very close to the Rosslyn metro stop, although the entrance to the hotel from the Metro is hard to locate (right on the corner, you enter through the parking garage and then have to take the parking elevator to the lobby). If one didn't know where they were going, it would be easy to miss and the walk would increase from one block to two. There are several restaurants within walking distance; we ate at the Pho 75 up the street (maybe 4 blocks away from the Hyatt) and it was cheap, tasty Pho. There are also several options for groceries/supplies very close: a Safeway about a block away, a CVS about two blocks, and a 7-11 about three blocks.

Check-in was pleasant, recognized for my Diamond status, provided with two breakfast coupons for the restaurant (Cityhouse). Was slightly disappointed there was no lounge here, but I did know that going in. There are not very many suites in this property, apparently. We were booked into an Executive Suite which was a standard Hyatt suite with living room/sitting area and separate King bedroom. The bathroom setup was a bit odd with both a shower/tub combo and a walk-in glass shower, with the toilet between them. Two sets of amenities for the two showers.

Everything was standard Hyatt, so I'm a bit baffled by the low reviews online for this property as well as some of the comments upthread here. I experienced nothing that wasn't up to usual Hyatt standards.

Breakfast was pretty decent, with a nice buffet spread at Cityhouse. A few things there I've never seen before (several jars of various toppings like seeds and fruit for yogurt/oatmeal). The service was excellent.

I think I'm pretty sold on this hotel when visiting DC. It's really close to the Rosslyn metro stop; one of the things I don't like about the HR Capitol Hill is how far away it is from Union Station or Judiciary Square, and then you're still stuck on the Red line. Rosslyn is much more convenient as three lines (Blue, Orange, Silver) run through there all the time. The only upside to the Capitol Hill is the lounge (although I've never experienced it as I was a lowly Platinum when I stayed there).

Overall, I definitely recommend the Hyatt Arlington. Do not be scared off by the Virginia location or the low rates; this is a perfectly serviceable Hyatt property in the DC area.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:06 am

RE: "the Virginia location"-this hotel is located right across Key Bridge from Georgetown, a very easy walk. Northern Virginia is the most populous region of the DC Metro area and there are many very good restaurants around the Court House, Clarendon & Ballston Orange line Metro stops, less than 8 minutes from this hotel by subway.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
RE: "the Virginia location"-this hotel is located right across Key Bridge from Georgetown, a very easy walk. Northern Virginia is the most populous region of the DC Metro area and there are many very good restaurants around the Court House, Clarendon & Ballston Orange line Metro stops, less than 8 minutes from this hotel by subway.
During off-peak hours for the Metro, if the interest is to eat around Courthouse or even Clarendon, I often consider doing the walk -- except in summer -- as I've waited on the platform for the Orange line there for nearly 20 minutes way too often.

Location-wise, this hotel is great. The walk from this hotel to the main intersection in Georgetown is about equal time to that of walking from the Park Hyatt hotel in DC, but with a way more convenient location for Metro transport purposes in the DC area or to get to/from the DCA or IAD airports.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by izzik
For an alternate way of going to the Metro station from the hotel, you can take the "Skywalk" bridge that drops you directly into the station ticket area.

From the hotel entrance, make a right going north on Nash St. You pass a gated parking entrance, then there are a set of stairs on the right side that wind around to an elevated walkway. Keep going right towards the Metro station.. you'll walk by a church, down some stairs.. and at the end, you'll see the escalator into Rosslyn metro. It's a covered walkway that seems practically unused (on the weekend). If you have a lot of heavy luggage, I recommend just taking the sidewalk route.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
While the Metro works very well for this property when coming in from DCA, the walk is outdoors (and uphill) enough -- even if using the stairs to make the short walk (and going via the hotel's parking lot) shorter -- that I've gotten soaked plenty of times when going from the metro to this hotel even when using the stairs to make the short (uphill) outdoor walk even shorter than the "no stairs" way.
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Location: very close to the Rosslyn metro stop, although the entrance to the hotel from the Metro is hard to locate (right on the corner, you enter through the parking garage and then have to take the parking elevator to the lobby). If one didn't know where they were going, it would be easy to miss and the walk would increase from one block to two.
First time stay at this property is coming up. My GF will be arriving first via the Metro from DCA, with a spinner carry-on. I'm looking to give her the best possible, specific directions, minimizing uphill walks and stairs as much as possible.

Is she better off using the bridge to get to the hotel, or just sidewalks? Does the signage in the Rosslyn station make it easy to find the right exit (Ft Myer Dr, right)? On Google maps street view, I see some glass doors on Wilson right at the corner of Ft Myer (at the Walk/Don't sign), is this the entrance to the hotel garage that she would use?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by swag
First time stay at this property is coming up. My GF will be arriving first via the Metro from DCA, with a spinner carry-on. I'm looking to give her the best possible, specific directions, minimizing uphill walks and stairs as much as possible.

Is she better off using the bridge to get to the hotel, or just sidewalks? Does the signage in the Rosslyn station make it easy to find the right exit (Ft Myer Dr, right)? On Google maps street view, I see some glass doors on Wilson right at the corner of Ft Myer (at the Walk/Don't sign), is this the entrance to the hotel garage that she would use?
The entrance with glass doors on Wilson and Ft Myer Drive (on the side of the street opposite of the Metro station) is indeed the hotel garage entrance. It is closed late at night. Personally, I would simply go up to the main entrance, since I have seen some people be sort of clueless when in that garage and coming off the garage elevator.

The signage at the station is pretty poor but as long as she goes uphill rather than downhill, she'll get there. With heavy luggage, I'd cut back toward the street with McDonalds on it and then cut a right to get up to Wilson and go up that way. The other option is to go up the stairs on the upper left side when coming off the escalators in the station and exiting the metro reader barriers. It's not a lot of stairs -- probably less than fifteen stairs -- and then you cut a left onto Ft Myers and a right onto Wilson.

I use just the sidewalks when with heavy luggage, but that is because I'm sort of impatient with elevators there.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I was just here and I'm a bit confused by GUWonder's directions (but thank you for posting). There is no longer a McDonald's in Arlington, although apparently it used to be on Moore St. which is the street that you exit out of Rosslyn station onto (and is now all under construction as of 1/1/15).

From the very LONG escalator up out of Rosslyn station, you'll want to turn right out of the station entrance (this is Moore St.) and then right again at Wilson Dr. to reach the hotel. The entrance to the Hyatt parking garage is at the NW corner of Wilson Dr. and Fort Myer Dr. She could also go in the front entrance of the hotel another block away at Wilson and Nash.

Basically, just make two rights out of Rosslyn station.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

I was just here and I'm a bit confused by GUWonder's directions (but thank you for posting). There is no longer a McDonald's in Arlington, although apparently it used to be on Moore St. which is the street that you exit out of Rosslyn station onto (and is now all under construction as of 1/1/15).

From the very LONG escalator up out of Rosslyn station, you'll want to turn right out of the station entrance (this is Moore St.) and then right again at Wilson Dr. to reach the hotel. The entrance to the Hyatt parking garage is at the NW corner of Wilson Dr. and Fort Myer Dr. She could also go in the front entrance of the hotel another block away at Wilson and Nash.

You're right. Moore St. I keep referring it to as the street with McDs on it without remembering they gave up the property.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
I had to be in the office until late yesterday (MLK day), and be back super early this morning. Was too tired to make it home only to turn around, and the rates were so good (and with my 10/20k promo) I couldn't resist. Booked a Standard King Bed room for $81. Couldn't get myself to burn a DSU for one night stay. Checked in and found they upgraded me to an Executive Suite anyway!
The staff at the front desk was welcoming and professional. Room was clean, and properly stocked. TV worked.
Like others, I was also disappointed there was no club here, but breakfast was excellent, both in food quality and service.
All in all, an excellent stay.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select

MUCH quicker to exit the fare gates (bearing left) and then turn and make a quick right to go up the short stairs next to the Rite Aid/Panera Bread. As soon as you reach the street (N. Fort Myer) at the top of those stairs, you're looking straight at the hotel. Head left and walk a few short feet to the corner of Wilson Blvd. and cross the street. The way you described is the long way... you're heading in the other direction and going around the station just to end up where you started out.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:46 pm

Does anyone know if the renovations to the restaurant are complete, or is it still closed? Many thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I was there last week. Renovations are complete and the restaurant is open.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
This hotel remains my go-to in the area (the location and front-desk staff are amazing), but boy is it ever hit/miss, quality-wise. Just checked in, everything bare bones once again. In June... room had a robe, slippers, toothpaste, toothbrush. In August... no robe, no toothpaste, no toothbrush, no vanity mirror, cheap coffee (one regular, one decaf) and ONE condiment packet.

Every time I come here, I never know what I'm going to get. A Hyatt or a motel. I feel lucky to have soap in the bathroom. I know $109/night isn't a lot of money, but really.

EDIT: This is almost comical. The fridge isn't cold. So I look and see it's entirely frosted over, with like 3 inches worth of frost obliterating the entire back element... as if it hasn't been defrosted in years. I pick up the phone to get it replaced. Phone doesn't work either. WTH IS WITH THIS PLACE? I feel like I'm in a highway motel. GEEZ.

Would love to take a hot shower, but alas, no hot water. Very, very lukewarm water. Doesn't matter how long you run it... nope. No shower for you.

Last edited by Freckles68; Aug 21, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Old May 23, 2016, 8:28 pm

Not much to add to previous posts - particularly with respect to location - but I did spend six fine nights there. Online check in sped me through that process and into a high floor room (my preference). Diamond breakfast in the restaurant was good. Buffet style with limited vegetarian offerings (potatoes, cut melon and pineapple, about seven kinds of cereal) and the usual array of meaty and egg-y dishes. Very personable guy making omelets. Throughout the hotel, things were clean and worked fine. The StayFit had "Matrix" brand cardio equipment that drove me crazy, but it worked; never crowded, despite high occupancy during my week. USA Today, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post in the lobby daily. No issues with staff, though with online check in and out, not much interaction.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have never stayed here before but based on cash & points this looks like it might be a good location for a Thursday stay after I take Amtrak up to Alexandria/Old Town as I can just hop the Blue Line up to Rosslyn and then the next day I have a meeting in Largo and can just take the Silver line there. The initial option was Hyatt Washington but Union Station being on the Red line makes it less attractive (and this is something new) and that night the rates in the city are higher than I would prefer. It also looks to provide a good base to pop to another hotel during the weekend in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.