Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Some practical information

The hotel consists of two buildings, separated be a beautiful outdoor garden and an interior basement passageway called Paseo Des Artistes which serves as an art gallery for rotating exhibits by contemporary Latin American artists, plus some sculpture that seems to be permanent. Hotel guests can request a guided tour by one of the hotel's art ambassadors. Taxis serve both buildings, each of which has a small carriage entrance and valet parking garage.

Be aware that taxi fares have increased significantly in the last year. In September 2016, rates were about 40-50 for a ride to Centro, including the port area, and about 100 to restaurants in Palermo (which are generally lcated up the hill, far from the water). A remise from the domestic AEP airport costs about 250-300, although a taxi should be around 100-150 with no traffic.

The tower building on Posadas is modern and contains the Gioia (Italian) restaurant. It's almost all day dining, with a large breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, current Italian aperitif hours, and dinner. The hotel concierges sit in the basement of the tower building, at the entrance to the business center (free computers and printing). Ask for their printouts of what to do and suggested restaurant lists.

The historic palace building on Alvear contains a beautiful indoor pool in the basement, the florist, the Argentinian fine dining restaurant Duhau with its cheese cellar and wine room, open for lunch and dinner, the Piano Noble cafe/lobby bar, and the oak room bar, where the latter allows smoking as do the outdoor eating and drinking areas on terraces and in the garden.

The street parallel to Alvear and Posadas, one block up the hill from Alvear, contains shops, including a small ma and pa grocery store that closes for lunch and a larger supermarket with red signage called something like Dash. Both are self service, sell wine, and are open to at least 9 pm. There's also a fancy specialty wine store about a block from the palace building, next to the French
Club restaurant.

Breakfast is available until 11am in Gioia (big cold buffet, plus you can order hot items, I believe for extra charges except for Diamonds) or continental plus a hot menu of things to order at Piano Noble, IIRC also until 11am, including on their outdoor balcony tables. Coffee and drinks, including champagne, are served there with small snacks such as cookies or nuts and olives. Room service breakfast is available until noon, with instructions to place the order form on your doorknob by 4am. In the past, I was instructed to take Diamond breakfast either in Gioia or Piano Noble, but this time I was told Gioia only while others were given the choice.

Restaurants within a couple blocks include Club Frances or French Club, Fervor on Posadas for vaguely Spanish fish/seafood and steak, Sotta Voce on Libertador for Italian food, including fish, and the restaurant inside the new Brick Hotel on Posadas. Sadly the all branch of La Dorita casual steak house has closed.
Print Wikipost

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, AA 2M Miles (Llifetime Platinum)
Lunch was great

I went to lunch at the Hyatt the day after it opened. I went to the buffet-type restaurant which has appetizers and desserts on a main table and the main dish a la carte. The main dish was a bit small but delicious. The desserts were the best I have had in a while. The service was incredible, almost too much!! Lunch was only $25 per person.
I have not tried the main restaurant yet but will post when I do. I live in BA so if anyone needs anything prior or during their visit, feel free to contact me.

Diego
Old Jul 21, 2006, 5:46 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by mreplus
The spectacular (and established) Four Seasons...
...which used to be the spectacular Hyatt! What a marvelous property...and just across the street from The Jockey Club.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So can I presume that there are 2 towers, the older building and the second or newer part Palacio Duhau ? SO the C$77 corp rate must relate to the old tower ? THanks
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I called the hotel and was advised that there are indeed 2 buildings, the new palacio and the older building. I guess I was right then, the corp rate is not for the new building but the older tower. Bondiboy I wish I could but it is a corp rate and I would have to be present with you. And tghe rate is not for the new tower.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I called the hotel and was advised that there are indeed 2 buildings, the new palacio and the older building. I guess I was right then, the corp rate is not for the new building but the older tower. Bondiboy I wish I could but it is a corp rate and I would have to be present with you. And tghe rate is not for the new tower.
I stayed in this hotel last weekend. There is nothing "old" about it. The "Palacio Duhau" is the home of a prestigious French family that has been converted into the main building and the suites of the Park Hyatt Bs.As. Inside the Palacio is the Oak Bar, the Library, the Ahin spa and pool, the two restaraunts, and 3 floors of guest rooms (~5 rooms per floor.) Across a green area (which underground has a fine art selection) is the tower building, the rooms of which are more modern and are what are depicted on the PH website.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:15 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
New Park Hyatt Buenos Aires Report

Park Hyatt Buenos Aires Report, August 19, 2006:

Arrived at AEP and arranged for a remise (private radio taxi) to take me to the hotel. I gave the counter and the driver the printed address. The charge was A$24. Then the driver got lost, luckily I wasn’t in a metered taxi. He called for assistance and we ended up at the Four Seasons (the old Park Hyatt) – even though I had written Nuevo Hotel Park Hyatt with the correct address. I then, again, in my VERY halting Spanish, stressed NUEVO. Then he apparently believed me. The hotel has only been open less than a month so he was unaware. EDIT: The hotel is only 3 1/2 blocks down Av. Posada (the "back" entrance) from the Four Seasons.

Greeted at the front and taken up the grand staircase to the front desk. English is not a problem. Quick, efficient check-in. I am a diamond staying on points for 3 nights. I was upgraded to a Park Deluxe room which is very large and nice. My room has windows both to the street and the inner courtyard, very spacious with a business/desk area off in an alcove; automatic drapes; bathroom lights work with automatic dimmers. The bathroom is large and nice, but not as nice as the Park Milan’s -- my best experience with the “new” Parks. The concierge, Tomas, took me on a mini-tour of the hotel on my way up to my room – a very nice, somewhat green, young man who has worked in the US – his English is perfect. Either the hotel is very slow or everyone has great memory – I was addressed by name very frequently! The TV has 81 channels – only CNN and BBC are dedicated English channels, but 25% of the other channels are partly in English with Spanish subtitles – lots of movie channels, CSI, Law and Order, etc.

The hotel is in two buildings separated by a garden. There is an underground connection between them which is somewhat inconvenient, but does offer access to two different street entrances (see comment about dinner below). The charge for internet access is $12/day. As a diamond I was offered two items for free pressing – but as I checked in late and it could not be done that day prior to my going to dinner. Dinner, in the continental/French restaurant entails taking 5, yes 5, elevators to get from my room to the restaurant on the other side of the hotel. Now I walked most of the stairs which are not great, but a handicapped person would have to deal with 5 elevators!

Dinner was fine, although service was a bit ragged: over eager at some points, not attentive at others. I chalk it up to novices learning. The food was excellent and relatively inexpensive – the rack of lamb, with veggies and potatoes was A$44 (about $15), but by the time I had an appetizer, two bottles of water, 2 glasses of very good wine, cheese course and a port it was about $75 -- certainly not a bad deal for serious eating, but quite expensive by Argentinean standards. The room was modern conservative, a bit noisy as the floor is wooden. My only true issue is the wooden floor and the chairs – every time someone gets in or out of a chair the chair really scraps across the floor – awful noise.

The other restaurant is continental/Italian. They are advertising a big Sunday brunch. As for the Diamond breakfast – I asked at the front desk and was told that I should order anything I wanted (including room service), sign for it, and then it would be removed from bill at check out. I am not a room service person, but it all sounds good to me.

That’s all for now. I will update at the end of my stay. Please excuse my "stream of consciousness" style of reporting.

August 22, 2006
Just checked out and am waiting for time to catch taxi to the airport. The stay has been very fine with these exceptions. The room has be very sound proof compared to other quests -- a very heavy door that is great for sounds but does not lock automatically, you have to pull it shut to lock -- this is perhaps due to newness, but none the less is a concern. The automatic drapes just don't work smoothly -- they try to close but the motor keeps going after closure -- just another adjustment I would think. The problem that bothered me the most was the heating. I like a cool/cold room to sleep in. As the windows open (and this room actually has cross-ventelation) cool this time of year was no problem . . . . but getting the room warm in the AM was. The first morning I had to call to have them check on the heating as 30 minutes after getting up the room was seemingly not any warmer. They quickly were up and "fixed" the problem. It was then heating but it still took another nearly one hour to get the room to toasty level. The same held true each day. One evening I could not turn the heat off -- again I called and it was taken care of. Obviously there are some issues here. In a five star hotel it should not take more than 5-10 minutes to heat the room. Enough of b....ing.

The breakfast was a decent cold buffet with additional items ordered off menu. I just had eggs and the buffet. The charges were removed at check out as a diamond -- I am still unsure if other items on the menu would be a la carte or included. There is no ice machine, but room service was VERY prompt. The key to the room is completely electronic -- you just pass the key over the lock, no insertion needed. Again it seemed that nearly everyone greeted me by name. The local english language paper and the xeroxed mini NYT were under my door daily.

All in all, expecially on points, it was a very good stay. A few more weeks of working out the bugs should get everything right. BTW I did not check out the spa.

Last edited by trd; Aug 23, 2006 at 9:47 pm
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:40 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Park Hyatt Buenos Aires

OK so I know there have been a couple threads of this one, but a little more about this great hotel won't hurt. Mad4miles and I checked in on Friday (after AA finally got us there, they had cancelled the DFW-EZE flight that night.) We each had the intro rate, US$314, and used a cert for the one night free on a two night stay, offered to UA flyers. Mad4Miles got the Park Suite-Palace Bldg, as shown on the hotel website, room 208. Actually a very large room with king bed, high ceilings, large bathroom and very ornate. I got room 307, another Park Suite, with a separate bedroom, smaller bathroom and lower ceilings. Still excellent. The Palace building is an older structure about 5 stories tall and impressive. The new tower is connected by a walkway under the patio and grounds between the two buildings, with an art gallery as you walk thru. The new tower appears to be a modern somewhat sterile building and we were glad to be in the Palace. The manager offered to show us that building as well, but he recommended the Palace rooms. The DIA breakfast is in the new tower, with the usual buffet, fruit, cereals, ham, cheeses, and pastries. I added the omellette this morning which is only AR18 more. Used the fitness center each day, which is a bit small, but has a good selection of modern upscale machines, with the TV monitors built in. Rarely more than 1 or 2 other people using the fitness center, though it may have been the time (about 10 or 11 AM.) Showers, jacuzzi, sauna but no steam in the locker rooms. The pool is an indoor "lap" style pool. The Spa is accessed through a door near the women's locker room. Mad4Miles had a 90 minute oil/aromatherapy massage for AR250. Not bad by Hyatt standards, but still pricy by BA standards, as one should expect. The butler service was excellent, with 2 items pressed per day for free. Barbara, my butler, was able to get my clothes pressed quickly, as my bag finally arrived at 6PM and the COW DO II Friday nite dinner was at 9PM. In fact, the staff is excellent, as they followed up with LAN (had to fly AA to SCL and then LA to EZE) and kept us informed on the status of delivery of our bags. Had drinks in the Oak Bar in the Palace. The taxi drivers still don't seen to know where this PH is but it is easy to get to from either Palermo or Microcenter. And they have to call cabs as there is no queue. Ave Alvear had quite a few driving by so not a problem, except on Fri nite as it was 8:30PM and raining. Checkout was good, other than the fact that they had a charge for the breakfast (removed upon request, guess they need to work on that,) and Mad4Miles' free night cert wasn't automatically in the record, but corrected quickly. Overall, one of the nicest stays in BA, compared to the Park Towers. And with the free night and intro rate, definitely less expensive. Otherwise, a bit pricy (US$314 intro rate to about $400 regular rate-plus 21% tax,) by BA standards.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:06 am

rbAA, I am going in November and have few questions:

1. Are the rooms in PALACE Building designed in the same contemporary way as those in the POSADAS? You wrote 'ornate' in your description and it somehow translates as traditional decor to me.

The rooms in Palace Bldg. has red draperies, right? From one photo online, it does not look as sharp as the room in the new building. Am I wrong?

2. What are the toilettries brand? Blaise Mautin?

I am still on the fence between PH and Faena. Since I know I won't requalify as Diamond in 2007, I don't have that 'I-have-to-stay-in-a-Hyatt' drive anymore.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:15 pm

Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires: An Exceptional Hotel

I have just completed two separate stays at the new (opened last Summer) Palacio Duhau Park Hyatt Buenos Aires and I am happy to report that this is an exceptional hotel worthy of comparison with it’s sister Park Hyatts in Milan, Paris Vendome and Sydney.

The hotel is located in the “fashionable” Recoleta district of Buenos Aires, and comprises the original (but renovated) Duhau family mansion (Palacio) with 23 rooms and suites (built in 1934) and located on Alvear Avenida next door to the residence of the Apostolic Nuncio: and the new 17 floor Posadas Tower located behind the mansion on Av. Posadas with 142 rooms and suites. The hotel can be entered from both Alvear and Posadas entrances and reception facilities are provided at both.

The garage is entered from Avenida Posadas

The two buildings are separated by beautiful lawns and landscaped gardens and an interesting tiered waterfall. The buildings are connected by underground passages and galleries displaying many works of art.

On my first stay I arrived at the Posadas entrance and the reception and check-in procedures were the most professional that I have experienced in any hotel. My Diamond status was immediately acknowledged and the elite benefits (breakfast, welcome amenity, etc.) were explained. I was upgraded to an outstanding Park Deluxe Suite in the Posadas Tower. I was accompanied to my suite where the various features (HDTV flat screen TV; DVD player; dual line phones, personal safe large enough for a lap-top; high speed internet; A/C; etc., etc.) were explained. An offer was made to unpack my suite case and it was also explained that the hotel offered complimentary pressing of two garments.

On my second stay I arrived at the Alvear entrance and requested that I be given a room in the original mansion. The reception and check-in was just as professional as my earlier experience and I was upgraded to Park Deluxe Twin room, with a balcony/patio overlooking the gardens and waterfall. This room was obviously one of the original bedrooms of the mansion, and it had the original carved oak wood paneling and floors, an antique chandelier and an antique desk. There was also an open wood fireplace, a free standing marble bath, a rain shower, a chaise lounge and the same modern equipment as my room in the tower.

The facilities of the hotel were also impressive. The public rooms were both magnificent and comfortable and the hotel has an indoor heated 25 m swimming pool. There were several restaurants but as breakfast was the only meal that I had at the hotel, I cannot offer comments on the food or service. The breakfast that I had in the Gioia Restaurant the Posadas building was buffet style and while adequate, was by no means memorable being on a par with Milan but in no way comparable to Sydney or Paris Vendome. The breakfast that I had in the Piano Nobile Salon located in the Palacio (a la carte) was a disappointment.

During my stays I was frequently greeted by name and the overall level of service was (with one exception at a breakfast) much higher than I expected

The hotel does have one minor problem that should be addressed, and that is the very complex light switches. These are no the simple on/off type but rater a delayed dimming type – and there are no labels so it takes some time to work out which switch operates what (curtains, bed light, reading light, desk light, etc.)

A taxi from the international airport will cost ARS 69 (about $22) and depending upon the time of day, the trip can take between 35-50 minutes. My corporate rate was $260 plus 21%,
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:32 pm

GREAT report. I was there earlier this month too and agreed that this is one beautiful hotel. I did have dinner at Gioia and wasn't disappointed.

Although I did not have any spa services, I asked for the menu. Yikes, the prices are very high! I had a spectacular massage at The Faena for almost 40% the price at PH Spa.

Bondiboy, do you remember your room number? I think the -02 rooms are the Park Suite and I think they are quite beautiful!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:48 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
In the Palace, the rooms are very unique from the others. I had a 3rd floor, 307, suite, and Mad4Miles was in 208 (I believe,) his room being the one used on the Hotel website for the Park Suite-Palace Building. It had high ceilings, whereas the 3rd floor's are lower. And, the 3rd floor was more like a divided room, whereas the one on the 2nd floor was not separated, just very large. Very nice though. And, the lobby bar in the Palace was excellent, though pricy. We only ate breakfast in the Posadas Building (DIA) as the steaks and Malbec were flowing elsewhere (COW DO II.)
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy

Bondiboy, do you remember your room number? I think the -02 rooms are the Park Suite and I think they are quite beautiful!
From memory, my room number in the Tower was #608 and my room number in the palace was #401.

Also from memory, the spa prices were quoted in ARS - but because they use the $ sign the prices can be quite confusing at first glance
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Ricky Martin is in the house tonight - and the girls are going crazy outside. You can hear their singing throughout the palace portion of the hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:15 am

Just wanted to add my very positive feelings about this hotel!

Stayed for 3 nights in August in a standard room on the 'new' side of the hotel.

Room was large and well decorated.

Service was good, although on my last day, I was given a late check out - when i returned my room key didnt work. It took 20 minutes and 3 phone calls to get anyone to attend!!!

Apart from that incident, this is a truly splendid hotel.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Thumbs down Buenos Aires - Could be the worst reservations/pre-stay hotel in all of Hyatt

I've seen some decent review of the Park Hyatt Buenos Aires here and am leaning towards this hotel over the Park Tower this coming November, but boy, is the reservations process frustrating. I want two suites, one each for two independent Diamond members. Let's see:

* Booked applicable rate with Gold Passport suite desk in the United States on two rooms and asked for 6,000 point GP suite upgrade. As per standard policy, was told they would request it with the hotel and let me know within 72 hours. I received no call back, so 5 days later I called GP to be told "sorry, we've asked the hotel to respond three times, but they have not responded to us at all, this is a very unusual situation but there's really nothing we can do if the hotel simply chooses to ignore our communications".

* At GP's suggestion, I then book two suites at "full points" since this can be confirmed immediately (I don't really understand why one has to be requested and one can be confirmed immediately, but that's evidently how it works).

* With this held I now approach the hotel having two reservations, one for money and one for full points. I would like my paid stays upgraded, then I will cancel my full points stays. Communication is promptly answered by Mr. Christoph Duker, a manager, but he states that I only have one room on the paid stay, and offers no answer to whether I can get the upgrade.

* I write back to him, and he passes my email to one of his subordinates and simply never replies to me again. Still, the hotel has it completely wrong - they keep claiming I have only one paid room (I have a printed confirmation for two, "My Reservations" shows it as two, GP confirms by phone its 2, etc.). And finally then I get an answer "we can't upgrade you then because we don't do upgrades in the busy season as we don't have sufficient suites for this".

* Hmmm...but my suites are already reserved, so what's the problem?

I guess I will just do full points if I do decide to stay here over Park Tower. I'm feeling uneasy though at staying here due to how poorly this was all handled. I rarely feel this way about Hyatt, but AARGH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.