Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Some practical information

The hotel consists of two buildings, separated be a beautiful outdoor garden and an interior basement passageway called Paseo Des Artistes which serves as an art gallery for rotating exhibits by contemporary Latin American artists, plus some sculpture that seems to be permanent. Hotel guests can request a guided tour by one of the hotel's art ambassadors. Taxis serve both buildings, each of which has a small carriage entrance and valet parking garage.

Be aware that taxi fares have increased significantly in the last year. In September 2016, rates were about 40-50 for a ride to Centro, including the port area, and about 100 to restaurants in Palermo (which are generally lcated up the hill, far from the water). A remise from the domestic AEP airport costs about 250-300, although a taxi should be around 100-150 with no traffic.

The tower building on Posadas is modern and contains the Gioia (Italian) restaurant. It's almost all day dining, with a large breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, current Italian aperitif hours, and dinner. The hotel concierges sit in the basement of the tower building, at the entrance to the business center (free computers and printing). Ask for their printouts of what to do and suggested restaurant lists.

The historic palace building on Alvear contains a beautiful indoor pool in the basement, the florist, the Argentinian fine dining restaurant Duhau with its cheese cellar and wine room, open for lunch and dinner, the Piano Noble cafe/lobby bar, and the oak room bar, where the latter allows smoking as do the outdoor eating and drinking areas on terraces and in the garden.

The street parallel to Alvear and Posadas, one block up the hill from Alvear, contains shops, including a small ma and pa grocery store that closes for lunch and a larger supermarket with red signage called something like Dash. Both are self service, sell wine, and are open to at least 9 pm. There's also a fancy specialty wine store about a block from the palace building, next to the French
Club restaurant.

Breakfast is available until 11am in Gioia (big cold buffet, plus you can order hot items, I believe for extra charges except for Diamonds) or continental plus a hot menu of things to order at Piano Noble, IIRC also until 11am, including on their outdoor balcony tables. Coffee and drinks, including champagne, are served there with small snacks such as cookies or nuts and olives. Room service breakfast is available until noon, with instructions to place the order form on your doorknob by 4am. In the past, I was instructed to take Diamond breakfast either in Gioia or Piano Noble, but this time I was told Gioia only while others were given the choice.

Restaurants within a couple blocks include Club Frances or French Club, Fervor on Posadas for vaguely Spanish fish/seafood and steak, Sotta Voce on Libertador for Italian food, including fish, and the restaurant inside the new Brick Hotel on Posadas. Sadly the all branch of La Dorita casual steak house has closed.
Print Wikipost

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 11:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
For anyone wondering I inquired about a car service from EZE since I have my elderly parents and large luggage with me and it’s now $250. Looks like I’ll be getting a taxi on arrival. That’s steep. I’ve seen reports of them not always taking cards and I won’t have any cash on me yet so hope it’ll work out until I can get into town to exchange money. We arrive on New Year’s Day too and I’m not quite sure the office down the street will be open to exchange but the trees over on Calle Florida will be out and about as a backup.
I'll see you there - staying here for NYE and wondering how it'll work out from EZE to the hotel. Yeah, no way at those prices.

khabah
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would assume that the $250 would go onto your room folio, and then get converted to pesos at the official rate. So more like $100-125... YMMV.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I would assume that the $250 would go onto your room folio, and then get converted to pesos at the official rate. So more like $100-125... YMMV.
a month ago a taxi from outside the hotel to EZE during evening rush hour cost us 13,000 ARS < $20, today <$15. its wasnt fancy but did the job
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craigthemif
indeed. Still an insane markup.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:12 pm

Planning on a trip to BA in January and just now learning about "blue rates" and "VAT refunds". I'm looking at staying at the Palacio Duhau for two nights and had a few questions:
  1. Is the rate on Hyatt's website inclusive of VAT (so you get a 21% discount) or is it exclusive of VAT, so what you see is what you pay?
  2. For the Advance Payment rates, are those also inclusive of VAT (so even though it's prepaid, you get 21% back eventually)?
  3. How does the "MEP" or "Blue dollar" rate work with Visa/MC payments -- if I do an Advance Payment, does it charge based on the reflected USD rate on Hyatt's website or does it convert to ARS and back to the blue rate?
Sorry for the hyper technical questions, but it seems nothing online really addresses these points.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by sty730
Planning on a trip to BA in January and just now learning about "blue rates" and "VAT refunds". I'm looking at staying at the Palacio Duhau for two nights and had a few questions:
  1. Is the rate on Hyatt's website inclusive of VAT (so you get a 21% discount) or is it exclusive of VAT, so what you see is what you pay?
  2. For the Advance Payment rates, are those also inclusive of VAT (so even though it's prepaid, you get 21% back eventually)?
  3. How does the "MEP" or "Blue dollar" rate work with Visa/MC payments -- if I do an Advance Payment, does it charge based on the reflected USD rate on Hyatt's website or does it convert to ARS and back to the blue rate?
Sorry for the hyper technical questions, but it seems nothing online really addresses these points.
Not sure on advance payments. But as a foreigner being a foreign card you won’t pay vat. At checkout it gets converted to pesos at the government rate and converted back to the “tourist rate” when you pay with a foreign card so it ends up being quite a bit less.

I would assume it’s similar with advanced payments but I really don’t know. And with the recent election results things could change in the future. I have a trip in January in myself and I’m wondering what will change.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Not sure on advance payments. But as a foreigner being a foreign card you won’t pay vat. At checkout it gets converted to pesos at the government rate and converted back to the “tourist rate” when you pay with a foreign card so it ends up being quite a bit less.

I would assume it’s similar with advanced payments but I really don’t know. And with the recent election results things could change in the future. I have a trip in January in myself and I’m wondering what will change.
Thanks! So to clarify, if Hyatt's website shows $500 USD/night (regular, member rate), what actually happens at checkout is $500 converted at the official rate, then reduced by 21% vat, and then converted (assuming you use a Visa/MC) at the "blue rate". is that right? or is the $500 Hyatt shows exclusive of VAT so no additional 21% off.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:31 pm

Thanks! So to clarify, if Hyatt's website shows $500 USD/night (regular, member rate), what actually happens at checkout is $500 converted at the official rate, then reduced by 21% vat, and then converted (assuming you use a Visa/MC) at the "blue rate". is that right? or is the $500 Hyatt shows exclusive of VAT so no additional 21% off.
VAT isn’t included so it’ll be converted without it. Basically don’t worry about the 21%.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Some of the threads in the Argentina forum might be of interest: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/

currency discussions, blue rate etc:

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Currency Controls

Did Amex announce they will offer MEP conversion Argentina? (I think VISA/MC were discussed in one or both of the other two threads above)

hotel-specific exchange rate questions:

Hotels in Argentina - to pre-pay or not?

With the currency situation, how do you make travel arrangements from abroad?
Old Nov 27, 2023, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's quite simple. (forget about VAT as that would be added on later only for Argentines)

$500 gets converted at the official rate of roughly 360 --> 180,000 pesos.

You pay 180,000 pesos on your Visa / MC and get the MEP rate of roughly 960 --> $187.50.

FWIW, the MEP rate seems to have gotten much closer to the blue rate lately, and the blue rate has come down a bit. But it can be quite variable so you shouldn't expect that a $500 room is actually going to be <$200.

It's always good practice to avoid prepaid rates. (although to be specific, it actually says non-refundable, and many hotels don't charge you until check-in or no-show...) In this case, I would definitely want to avoid booking non-refundable, even though the process should be the same if the hotel wants to charge in advance.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 1:38 am

All this talk about the conversions and blue dollars has my head spinning. I'm booked on points, with the cash rate at around 1500 USD a night for my stay period. Does this alter the CPP value of the points spent versus the rate, given that I'm a foreigner using a foreign-issued card?

Oy...

khabah
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:38 pm

Thanks all - very helpful all around and avoiding the advanced payment option. The savings of $100 USD aren't worth the potential risk that this doesn't get run in the local currency!
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by khabah
All this talk about the conversions and blue dollars has my head spinning. I'm booked on points, with the cash rate at around 1500 USD a night for my stay period. Does this alter the CPP value of the points spent versus the rate, given that I'm a foreigner using a foreign-issued card?

Oy...

khabah
Yes, it alters the calculation. The CPP value should be compared to the final cash rate you'd pay after USD > ARS > MEP > USD conversion. So in the example upthread, the $500 "list" rate is really $187 or so (at the then-current exchange rates). The points cost should be compared to $187, in that example, not $500. Assuming the same exchange rates, then, your $1500 rate is really more like $560.

Before introduction of the MEP you'd have had to go to Calle Florida and convert a bunch of crisp $100 bills to ARS at the blue dollar rate, and use those to settle up
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Yes, it alters the calculation. The CPP value should be compared to the final cash rate you'd pay after USD > ARS > MEP > USD conversion. So in the example upthread, the $500 "list" rate is really $187 or so (at the then-current exchange rates). The points cost should be compared to $187, in that example, not $500. Assuming the same exchange rates, then, your $1500 rate is really more like $560.

Before introduction of the MEP you'd have had to go to Calle Florida and convert a bunch of crisp $100 bills to ARS at the blue dollar rate, and use those to settle up
That... makes more sense, thank you. Well, I just blew over 80000 points on this property vs. the ~1500 USD a night for my stay period, and my numerically-uninclined brain is leaning towards sticking with the points spend instead of the money because I have no idea how it'll work out. Knowing my luck with these things too, it'll all be complicated and messy.

khabah
Old Nov 28, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by khabah
That... makes more sense, thank you. Well, I just blew over 80000 points on this property vs. the ~1500 USD a night for my stay period, and my numerically-uninclined brain is leaning towards sticking with the points spend instead of the money because I have no idea how it'll work out. Knowing my luck with these things too, it'll all be complicated and messy.

khabah
The difficult math has already been done by CLEGuy.

Now you just have to multiply the ~$560/night by the number of nights you are staying to see if what your cpp is for the 800,000 points you spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.