Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Rosemont REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2003, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Which of these two hotels near ORD is better? The Hyatt Rosemont claims to be newer and is quoting a rate of $159, and the Hyatt Regency Rosemont is quoting $132.

I am a Diamond, so it would be interesting to know if upgrades occur at either or both properties.

This is for 4 nights, so it would be nice to be in the better hotel -- but neither is reviewd on Muerz's website.

Thanks,
Dick
Old Apr 15, 2003, 5:28 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
The Hyatt Regency is the older property with the 'round' towers. Doing a search you'll find lots of comments on this hotel, most pretty negative. On occasion, I've been upgraded to a duplex suite here, and it is a much larger/convention style hotel. The RC is generally closed, in all my stays I've seen it open twice. As a Diamond, you'll get your usual amentiy choice and if the RC is closed a certificiate for breakfast. This hotel is closer to the ORD and if coming by way of the Blue Line, you can get off at Rosemont and walk rather than going to the airport & waiting for their van (which serves both properties).
I do prefer the newer Hyatt Rosemont, which is smaller, and more 'W'-like in decor. It has only one restaurant which is a combo snack bar/bar & casual dining area. I don't know about upgrades to suites here (as I've never received one, nor requested one). But the rooms are nice. It is a bit away from all the other airport hotels and not much else around for dining variety, although I believe there is a steakhouse a block away.
I generally stay at ORD when I have an early am flight after working in the city, so my stays are always just one night.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 4:06 pm

Hyatt Regency ORD is a "Regency" in the sense of incrdible atrium, glass elevators, health club, multiple restaurants and bars, including the revolving ones above the penthouse. They charge for parking even though it's an "airport" hotel.

Hyatt Rosemont is perhaps 1/10th the size, free parking, 1 restaurant, no entertainment, maybe 1-2 upgradeable suites (better chance at Regency). Food is fine; quiet property.

The nice thing about the Rengency is that it's connected via bridges to the Convention Center and all of the other hotels in the complex. So: if you're looking for a Hyatt and your modus operandi is to cacoon with room service, Internet connections and free parking, the ROSEMONT. If you like to experience everything from the sauna to the 360-degree nightclub and 24 hour room service then the Regency might be more to your liking.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I'm definitely a cocooner with a rental car, so I'll skip the Regency this time and try the Hyatt Rosemont!

Dick
Old May 13, 2003, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Just got back from my 4 nights at the Hyatt Rosemont, and it was fine. Thanks to recommendations from you FT folks, I knew to request a suite upgrade and got it -- but suites are just two connecting rooms with a couch in one room replacing the bed. The hotel is in a somewhat isolated location, so for a multi-night stay, I recommend that you stay there only if you have a rental car.

Positives: in-room safe, convenient and free covered parking, in-room refrig (NOT a mini-bar), reasonably new rooms, staff consistently helpful and anxious to please.

Negatives: limited dining options, dim flourescent lights in EVERY fixture, mildew starting to appear in the bath tile.

Overall: I'd stay there again.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well due to FFN I am hotel hopping this week between Hyatt Rosemont and Hyatt Regency ORD. I have no status with Hyatt. I am sure I could have gotten a comp based on my EARNED SPG Plat and HH Diamond status but didn't bother.

I had one night last night at the Rosemont and it was fairly small property but the FREE parking was ultra convenient to the lobby. The staff was quick. I didn't use the restaurant or room service. The RS menu seemed pretty limited though. The in room coffee was this single cup coffee maker. It is not the small 4 cup pot. It literally makes one pathetic cup of coffee. The health club was large for the hotel size and had all new equipment. I was very impressed with the health club. If you are looking for lots of in house restaurants this isn't the place to be but I found the hotel to be convenient, quiet, and my room had HSIA which I didn't realize isn't standard for Hyatt properties.

Tonight I am staying at the ORD Regency and this hotel is huge. Originally I was assigned a room in the round tower on the 2nd floor. This room was TINY. It only has a small stand up shower and was not High speed equipped. I called to complain and they moved me to an Executive Wing room. I was also told that only ONE floor in this hotel is equipped with HSIA! This room was nothing spectacular but atleast was a normal sized room. The other thing I don't like about this hotel is that there is $10 fee for use of the health club. It was a nice large health club facility but not worth the steep fee. I resented having to pay for it! I ordered a steak from room service and they didn't bring me a steak knife, just a butter knife. I called down and asked for a steak knife and was told it was dangerous to have sharp knives in the rooms so they don't put them on the room service tray! I was really aggravated.

Neither hotel has an in-room mini bar. It would have been nice to get a bottle of water or a midnight bag of M&M's. The bathroom amenities were the standard Portico shampoo, conditioner and soap.

I don't like the Regency ORD and would definitly pick the Hyatt Rosemont any day over the Regency ORD!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:01 pm

I've stayed at the ORD Hyatt several times and I always get lost in the hotel, I once lost my rental car for 20 minutes. I thought it had been renovated?

I'm staying at the Rosemont tomorrow due to the nice reviews it had received here. The single cup coffee maker will not hack it, but the rest sounds like my kind of hotel.

Are there frig's in the room since there are no Honor Bars?
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IK in Seattle
I've stayed at the ORD Hyatt several times and I always get lost in the hotel, I once lost my rental car for 20 minutes. I thought it had been renovated?

I'm staying at the Rosemont tomorrow due to the nice reviews it had received here. The single cup coffee maker will not hack it, but the rest sounds like my kind of hotel.

Are there frig's in the room since there are no Honor Bars?
You can buy Starbucks coffee to go in the lobby cafe. They also sell bagels and pastries and such. The Hyatt Regency ORD also has the cr*ppy one cup coffee machines in the room.

There is a small fridge in each room but no microwave.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:05 pm

We stayed for one night at the Hyatt Rosemont last Saturday night. We flew in for dinner at Bob Chinn's crabhouse in Wheeling, about 20 minutes away.

The Diamond amenity card listed either a free continental breakfast or high speed internet access in addition to all the other normal beverages / snacks. That's the first time I've seen that as an option.

It is the only airport hotel in that area that I know of which has free parking.

At breakfast we upgraded from the continental to steak and eggs for $1 more each, though orange juice was $3 and coffee $2.45 and would have normally been included with the continental.

The beds were a little hard, but the room was nearly spotless. We were able to open the windows for some air, which was a plus.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Hyatt Rosemont

I have stayed at both and now only stay at the Hyatt Rosemont. The only thing that I miss at the Hyatt ORD is the crab cake appetizer.

The Hyatt Rosemont is more intimate while is very appealing considering that when in Chicago everything else I must do is so fast paced.

Free parking, close proximity to the "El" for Blue line access to downtown. The airport shuttle also stops at the ORD property and you can use their pool if you are so inclined. The restaurant is nice and the menu is excellent.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hyatt Rosemont

Having just stayed at the Hyatt Rosemont (see review below) I would say it depends on what you plan to do.

If you do NOT have a car and might like to visit downtown Chicago or other areas accessible by public transit, stay at the Hyatt Regency Rosesmont as it is walking distance from the El. If you DO have a CAR, the Hyatt Rosemont might be a better choice as there is free parking (though compare my review with ones on the other property). Both properties have a free airport shuttle that takes approx 10 min to/from ORD.

I just completed a mid-week stay at the Hyatt Rosemont in mid-May. It is quite a hike from the ORD gates to the shuttle bus stop - quicker to hop the El (subway) and go one stop to Rosemont if you are staying at the Regency. Alas, the Rosemont property is far from the El and has nothing else of value (e.g. restaurants, bars, 7-11) within walking dist. No taxi stand at hotel so you can wait a while.

Only one person working front desk, which was completely inadequate during the 2-7pm time slot (I walked by several times and there was always a line).
Received a 3rd floor king - no upgrade as hotel was "full." The room had a musty odor (smoke? or perhaps emanating from the unplugged refrig). No view, poor water pressure. As noted above, coffee maker is by-the-cup and poor quality.

Would recommend you avoid 2nd floor rooms near 220 as the 24hour health club is across the hall. Which reminds me, for some reason the only drink machine is in the health club.

Best feature of hotel was that it was quiet - no airport noise. But overall quality is closer to a 3* Hyatt (e.g. Hyatt Embarcadero SF) and I will try the Westin or Hilton next time I need to be near ORD.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:53 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Dear Flyer-Talk Members,

At Hyatt Hotels & Resorts we are dedicated to guest satisfaction, and therefore we were disappointed to learn that several of you experienced a service or product failure on your recent visits to the Hyatt Regency O'Hare and the Hyatt Rosemont.

To assure that your concerns are addressed and corrective measures are taken to prevent a reoccurrence, please contact Hyatt Consumer Affairs at 1-800-323-7249 between the hours of 6:00 AM - 11:30 PM CST, Monday - Friday. If you prefer to correspond via email, please forward your name, contact information, and the details of your visit to: [email protected].

We look forward to the opportunity to regain your confidence and faith in Hyatt Hotels and Resorts.

Best Regards,

Julia Moore
Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:52 am

I Thought the Rosemont was a Good Value

I had a stay last week at the Rosemont and thought it was a pretty nice hotel. The coffee makers and mattresses could be improved but over all I thought it was better than most of the hotels I’ve stayed at around ORD including the ORD Hyatt.

The hotel is only a couple of years old so it has a very new feel. It actually felt more like a nice Hilton than a Hyatt. The front desk was very friendly and we had a room on the 8th (top) floor. The room still only had a view of other building, so don’t plan on any ‘view’ rooms.

For Diamonds there is a third choice on the amenity card Breakfast or High Speed Internet service, so basically you can waive your free breakfast for the broadband internet. I personally think Hyatt should be moving to providing free internet service, everyone else seems to be moving that direction. If Best Western can do it why can’t Hyatt.

Between the free parking and small intimate feel of the hotel, it will be my first choice when staying by the airport.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
No more suite upgrades at Hyatt Rosemont

All of the rooms at the Hyatt Rosemont are laid out the same way, and there are two price categories, standard and business plan. After speaking to the front desk, I gathered that no matter which rate you pay for, you get the same room, and there will be no upgrades to junior suite.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:22 pm

Does Hyatt Rosemont have a Regency club? If yes, open 7 days a week?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.