Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coolum, Australia REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 3/29/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coolum, Australia REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 3/29/12

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2003, 1:30 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Just returned from Coolum a few days ago and here's my take on the facility, in addition to what ranles said.

It is definitely a family-oriented resort and especially crowded with domestic guests earlier this month due to school holidays (aka Spring Break) for the kids in the Queensland and NSW states. There is a Camp Hyatt with lots of activities for your little angels/devils and weekly activities (BBQ on the beach, family dance, etc.)

The resort is spread over acres of land, set up to be like a village, which is walkable but many folks rent bicycles for A$15/day to bike around the property. Rooms (the one I got at least) is Studio Suite. It has a small dining area, living room, king size bed and a patio. Perhaps because I'm using FFN that I did not get an upgrade but I didn't care. Nice bathroom with separate shower and tub. Shower has very good water pressure. It's decent for most people I'm sure. Note that none of the rooms face the ocean, the beach is about a mile away from the resort (free shuttle available). The resort is pretty secluded in the Sunshine Coast town of Coolum; it's definitely not accessible on foot.

I wasn't given an Amenity as a Diamond (don't know if they provide any) but I'm never too hung up on it like others. There is no RC Lounge, but continental breakfast is available for free at your local breakfast lounge (there are about 4-5 of them, find the one closest to your room), it seems to be available for everyone. Those of you who stay near/towards the center of the resort, your breakfast is served at the Bruschetta Restaurant. Hot breakfast (scrambled eggs, hash brown, grilled tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, fried eggs, bacon/ham) are available for A$15 extra per person. Worth it if you want to try a traditional Australian breakfast. Otherwise expect your usual continental breakfast (cold cuts, breads, fruits, cereals, milk, juices.)

Parking is available for guests and I don't think it was too far away at all. They will shuttle you around in a cart for free. Walking distance is bearable (unless you have a lot of luggages or are crippled, that is) so you may even skip the cart.

Everything in the resort is cashless, just show your room passport to charge things back to your room. Even for that A$2 Coke.

Those of you who golf, there is a good 18-hole course at the resort. If you need to hit some golf balls at the grass driving range, a big bucket cost A$10, clubs can be rented for A$1.10 per club. Chipping and putting greens are also available. Range is open even after dark. Don't be alarmed if the distance is measured in meters.

OK now let's address the bug issue. Found three spiders one night, about 2.5 inches in diameter (including legs), mostly perching on the ceiling, wall or closet (they don't get into your bed) They are harmless , mostly afraid of human and stay out of your way if you treat it like just another house furniture. They also move infrequently.

Shuttles...other than the free cart ("buggy" as the local calls it) that shuttles you anywhere within the property, they have a free frequent shuttle to the Beach Club (where the beach is), less than a mile away - so you can even walk it. They also have a free shuttle to Noosa Heads (a beach town about 30 mins away from Coolum .. a nice resort town with white sand beach and boardwalk, great bar with live bands, shopping, internet cafes, chic restaurants and night clubs...similar to what you see in South Beach, Miami) that runs on schedule. (last bus leaves Noosa at 7pm, don't be late, otherwise it's a A$30-40 cab ride!)

Other things to do (other than Noosa)...the Resort Host (similar to a Concierge) can schedule things to do around the property (Camp Hyatt, excursions, etc.) I think they also have excursion tours to nearby places such as Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo in Beerwah, Kangarooland, and other nature and amusement park related stuff. (I didn't go) The entertainment center in the lobby area has a pool table (oh I meant 'snooker'), and ESPN/Fox Sports. The main swimming pool (yes, the one with all the kids) have ping-pong tables and a giant chess in addition to the lounge chairs. Bring beach towels from your room.

The Sun Spa has a decent size gym (treadmills, stair machine, pull-up bar, free weights, universal machines for most body parts), some scheduled aerobic classes (Pilates, Yoga, Steps, etc.), a more quiet Olympic size swimming pool (where most kids can't get to since you have to 16 and over to get in) and your typical spa service which is pretty reasonably priced. Open from 6:30AM - 7:00PM daily. Spa reservation is recommended; I was sent a Spa booklet at home before my trip.

Weather: it's like Florida. (humid). Queensland and Florida have the same nickname (Sunshine State). It rains quite a bit too in the Spring time.

Transport to and from the property: Bell Desk in front can make taxi reservation to show up at certain time. Resort Host can help with airport transfer, just do it at least 24-48 hours in advance at A$40/way to Brisbane Airport (BNE), chargeable to your room. Airport transfers leave every 2 hours starting at 6:35am or you may take a private limo for A$198/way. (my advice is to take the shuttle if you don't mind going around the Sunshine Coast to pick up other passengers). Travel time to the Brisbane Airport can be close to 2 hours (incl. stops, traffic on motorways, etc.) I don't know how pick up from BNE would work though, since a friend picked me up.

If you're traveling locally with Virgin Blue or Qantas, route yourself to the Sunshine Coast airport in MAROOCHYDORE (airport code: MCY) which is only 15 mins away from the Hyatt, and therefore cheaper taxi fare. I don't think the hotel would pick you up for free here either. Note also there are direct flights from SYD/MEL to MCY on both airlines, but only one flight a day. (small airport) Schedules/rates are available from the respective airlines websites.

Last but not least for those of you laptop-toting traveler, don't forget your electrical plug converter (for Australia & NZ) and making sure your power supply can handle a 230 Volts outlet. Your U.S. phone jack works in their "Data" plugs (but will not work in your other Australian destination though). ISPs such as Earthlink.Net provides a Sunshine Coast access number (U.S. members pay $0.15/min). Just don't make the same mistake as I did by dialing a Gold Coast access number (anything with a '55' prefix) since it cost about $1.05/min! Please check your access number before dialing. Otherwise, local calls are charged at A$0.80/call, long distance and calls to mobile phone (anything that is not (07)54XX-XXXX) are at A$1.05/minute.

OK, so this is NOT a Maui Hyatt or Dorado (PR) Hyatt, but if you keep no major expectations, I'm sure you'll like the place. The kids are always going to be there (more on some weeks, less on others) so it all depends on your tolerance level. Just don't be there during the high season (gentle reminder: Summer is Nov-Jan in Australia). As far as the cleanliness is concerned, I wasn't bothered by it, it was as clean as it could get.

Hope this helps, please email me if you have any questions.

Jamester

P.S. I did stay at the Sanctuary Cove as well and liked it (lest the lack of beach and its distance from Surfers Paradise) but that's another hotel review.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:59 pm
pdb

Coolum now has broadband internet

Originally Posted by Jamester
...Last but not least for those of you laptop-toting traveler, don't forget your electrical plug converter (for Australia & NZ) and making sure your power supply can handle a 230 Volts outlet. Your U.S. phone jack works in their "Data" plugs (but will not work in your other Australian destination though). ISPs such as Earthlink.Net provides a Sunshine Coast access number (U.S. members pay $0.15/min). Just don't make the same mistake as I did by dialing a Gold Coast access number (anything with a '55' prefix) since it cost about $1.05/min! Please check your access number before dialing. Otherwise, local calls are charged at A$0.80/call, long distance and calls to mobile phone (anything that is not (07)54XX-XXXX) are at A$1.05/minute...
I'm not sure if every villa has broadband internet, but the President's Villa where I am staying does--thank goodness!
Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:48 pm
pdb

Sanctuary Cove: much nicer than Coolum

Much nicer ambience. Accomodations also classier. RC is a plus. Fortunately escaped unbitten.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:07 am

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
Hyatt Coolum - suite upgrade , what does it get you?

I can't tell from the site, so I thought I'd ask because someone might know.

If you get a suite upgrade at this hotel, what room type do you get? What about a RC upgrade?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:02 am

It really is tough to discern what would be considered a suite or not at that property. My guess from the description would be a "Woodland Villa" or higher- because it is described as having separate rooms.

I would suggest calling the reservations center to find out.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:16 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I would also suggest that you call since different properties have different suite categories that they confirm a suite upgrade into. RC upgrade basically just gets you access to the RC - rooms are virtually the same as a regular room (perhaps some amenities could be different - like larger toileteries items etc). However, it doesn't appear that this property has a RC so the RC upgrade would not be applicable.

I'll merge this with the Coolum Review Thread for future reference.

Last edited by peteropny; Nov 16, 2009 at 8:21 am
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by keiko
I can't tell from the site, so I thought I'd ask because someone might know.

If you get a suite upgrade at this hotel, what room type do you get? What about a RC upgrade?
How can I be kind, maybe if I said I wouldn't waste a suite upgrade on this property, it might give you the idea, regards bkkrop
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
Confused?

Why would you not waste a suite upgrade on this property?

I'd be doing it for extra space (travel with the kid) and/or access to evening drinkies. We travel only for leisure.

Oh, and my darling 6 yo is impeccably well behaved. Although I did notice a plethora of obnoxious brats there on Sunday. Next time, roll your eyes, and then ask the parents to please control their children.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:16 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
<bump>

Any recent reviews?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:53 pm

No recent reviews here. Check tripadvisor, AFF or similar.

NB, there is a Groupon deal:

Hyatt Coolum - Brisbane / Sunshine Coast, Australia
from $225/night, $259/1 night, $479/2 nights, $1129/5 nights

NB, This is a Gold Passport cat 3 resort, so 12k/night, which can be bought for 240 USD (20% bonus) if you don't need the stay/nights credit.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Question Renovation?

As it seems Hyatt Coolum is undergoing an extensive renovation program...
Does anyone know if all rooms will get a renovation or just specific ones?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Hyatt no longer - New owner fires Hyatt management.

The new owner has suddenly fired Hyatt and started a lawsuit:

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...-part-company/

Looks like this property is going to be a Hyatt no longer.
I wonder how they will honour existing bookings (paid or award)?

A pity, as I liked this property, the staff and Bruschetta restaurant.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The Hyatt Regency Coolum lost the Hyatt brand overnight and is no longer part of the chain.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:34 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
How sad. After Clive Palmer took over the Hyatt Coolum it has simply failed. He even boarded up the kitchens forcing guests to eat at the restaurants on site.

See more http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-1...idents/5103098
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:37 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

And he's added dinosaurs http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stori...25/3896229.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.