Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 11:14 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster

Greetings FlyerTalkers,

We are pleased to announce the opening of the 167th Hyatt Place Hotel, which opened today in Braintree, MA. The hotel has 204 guestrooms and is conveniently located across the street from the South Shore Shopping Plaza that has over 300 shops and restaurants from which to choose. The Hyatt Place Braintree is also a quick 13 minute drive from the historic city of Boston and is just minutes away from the Logan International Airport.

Happy Travels!
Old May 15, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
It looks like this hotel was converted from the old Sheraton castle that used to be at this address? If so, was the whole exterior castle theme removed & renovated, I hope? (I'm a little worried because there are no exterior photos on its website.)
Old May 15, 2012, 2:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Yes, this is the old Sheraton property that looked like a castle. Actually have fond memories of staying there about 10 years ago. I remember seeing a rendering of the new project awhile back, and it looked like they were going to redo the outside to get rid of the castle elements.

EDIT: Found a link with a photo: http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...place/688226/1
Old May 28, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
I had three separate 1 night stays here last week and all in all it was fine.

The staff is trying like crazy and are really excited about their new opening which was nice to see. Definitely some kinks to work out, but that's completely understandable.

They were very proactive when they noticed my diamond-ness to ask how the property compared and what they could do service wise compared to other Hyatts I frequent.

They have a large lobby and eating area, much larger than the other HP's I've been to.

One downside for me was that I didn't really like the room layout that much. Its the first HP I've been to that didn't have the same standard layout - the rectangular set up with the sitting area on one end the sleeping on the other.

The rooms here are more of a square. I think the sq. footage is probably a bit larger than the normal HP, but it felt like a cheap, low end hotel room with a couch in the corner. Which, to be honest, I guess that's exactly what it is.

To be fair though, it served the purpose, a low priced room ($125) for a quick stay and the location across from the South Shore Plaza (or Braintree Mall for those of us that remember that name better) with decent food choices.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Kind of silly how this property is being advertised as 'minutes away from Logan airport'.. because 14 miles is not nearby at all.

Can someone verify whether parking is free for this property? It was free at the Sheraton pre-conversion.. but not sure if that is the same. The webpage doesn't mention anything about parking, which is kind of unusual for Hyatt.

**Update: according to the downloadable PDF fact sheet, parking is free at this property.. however, it's not listed anywhere else on the page.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt GP diamond, HHonor Gold
Was there last Tuesday

It's free. Lots of parking spaces. Location is very good IMO, 10 mins drive to downtown and right opposite the hotel, you are close to a large mall with a load of restaurants. For $125 per night including free breakfast, it's a deal.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kittayos
It's free. Lots of parking spaces. Location is very good IMO, 10 mins drive to downtown and right opposite the hotel, you are close to a large mall with a load of restaurants. For $125 per night including free breakfast, it's a deal.
I had a 5 night stay on last week at the AAA rate of $107. A bargain for the Boston area. It includes free wi-fi and free breakfast.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by izzik
Kind of silly how this property is being advertised as 'minutes away from Logan airport'.. because 14 miles is not nearby at all.
Depends on the frame of reference. Denver has 'airport hotels' that are 14 miles from DIA and actually operate a shuttle!

I realize the concept of far in the west tends to be a little skewed.....
Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

there was some promo code BBOPEN that gives bonus GP points with this property, I think.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Originally Posted by izzik
there was some promo code BBOPEN that gives bonus GP points with this property, I think.
Does anyone have any further info on this? I'd like to see if I can get my PL rep to give me the points retroactively, but would like to know the scoop before I ask.

thanks
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Funny, so many times I pull in a parking lot and go "oooohhhhhh, I remember this place"

Same here, I remember being here as a sheraton and I liked it better as a sheraton. As a Hyatt Place, the rooms are MUCH smaller than a typical HP. The sofa is more like Barbie furniture. The layout is NOT typical for a HP.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
New to the forum. I stay at this hotel a lot (25-30 nights now) and used it as a Sheraton before. Easily the best value and usability in the area. Same rooms given irrespective of pay or redemption stays. Positives are easy on-off access to highways, consistency of rooms and lots of (albeit small) free parking spaces. Negatives - so-so breakfast and hideous amount of "air freshener" in the lobby sprayed through a vent on the left side as you enter. Steer away from this immediate area if you are sensitive to artificial scents as I am. The scenting is a Hyatt Place brand phenomenon, so it is a real sticking point for me, I constantly note this whenever I give any feedback on a Hyatt place. At least they got rid of the White Ginger Bath Amenities which were my wife's bugaboo.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Staying here tonight...hotel seems to have been recently converted to a HP, or maybe they're undergoing a renovation. My room is fairly large and not a typical HP room. No real negatives, other than a rather cold and brash attitude from the check in desk...nothing unusual for the Boston area IME.
The best thing about this place for me is the proximity to good dining...legal sea foods is just on the other side from the lobby wall. Down the stairs from the there is Starbucks, potbelly, ben and jerry, qdoba, etc. For me, I get starbucks in the morning, eat lunch with clients and dinner at legal...heaven!
:-)

I'll be back!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:00 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Hotel is closing in January 2020:

https://patch.com/massachusetts/brai...intree-closing

BRAINTREE, MA — The Hyatt Place hotel will close early next year after state officials received filings from hotel management, the Boston Business Journal reported. All 60 of the hotel's employees are expected to be laid off when it closes January 18, 2020.

Hotel general manager Steven McClure told Patch the hotel's ownership, Carpenter Holdings, LLC, of Cambidge, will meet be communicating with management, employees and union representation to address concerns. McClure also said hotel ownership is evaluating "renovation and re-positioning options" that might allow the hotel to re-open in the spring or summer of 2020, but this is not a guarantee.

"Right now I don't have a timeline," McClure told Patch.

The 204-room hotel at 50 Forbes Road opened in 2012 and was the first Hyatt Place on the South Shore and second in Massachusetts. It replaced the former Sheraton Hotel next to the South Shore Place retail complex.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:18 am

Doesn't say at all what the reason for the closure is....Hyatt is yanking the branding from them?

I haven't stayed there in a couple years but it has been fine there since they opened it as a Hyatt Place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.