Wiki Posts
Search

Westin vs Hyatt in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2003, 5:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Westin vs Hyatt in Tokyo

For those who have been there, how does the Westin Tokyo in Ebisu compare to the Century or the Park Hyatt?

I am staying at Westin next week and looking for feedback.

Anyone interested in trading 48,000k SPG points (five free nights at a category 5 hotel e.g the Phoenician, in AZ, most St. Regis hotels, Luxury collection or roughly = 60k miles) for 4 nights at the Hyatt? (I have no idea how many goldpoints that takes.)
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:39 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
there have been many discussions of this board relative to Century & Park Hyatts -- the Park is on almost everyone's list of best Hyatts in the world -- the Century is OK. I can't compare the Westin -- but I just returned for 4 days at the Park Tokyo (a yearly vacation stay) and as usual it was very very FINE.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:16 am

in ascending order in terms of quality and price:

century hyatt
westin
park hyatt

the 2 hyatts are located within walking distance of each other, the westin is in another part of the city.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to be a regular visitor to the Westin, but 'upgraded' to the PH when the Westin decided I didn't stay enough to get any kind of corporate rate. Although the PH is more expensive, I've never regretted my decision for a moment.

That being said, the Westin is still a very good hotel and would be decent value at Y30,000 a night (plus tax and service), although some corporate rates at the PH are around that level for lower grade rooms -- of which there aren't many. The Westin has gotten rid of some of the over-the-top decoration in the lobby, at least, and rooms are good sized. Both the Westin and the PH are about 12 minutes from the nearest public transit (you have to be a bit more agressive about passing people on the moving walkway that covers part of the distance to the station to achieve that time).

The Westin, as is common at many Japanese hotels but not the PH, has an unusual service: the gift shop will wrap gifts for you for free. This is not mentioned in any written materials.

Most of the restaurants in Ebisu Garden place (next to the Westin) are overpriced and not so good, but there is a very good selection of restaurants at Ebisu station itself. Also, there's a nice live music place, "What the Dickens," only a few minutes walk from Ebisu station -- if you can find it!

Let me know if there are any other specifics I might be able to help you with.

(Edited for typos)

[This message has been edited by RichardInSF (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:46 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
the Park Hyatt has a shuttle from the hotel to shinjuku (and return) every 20 minutes or so from 8am to 8pm -- ask for a schedule. They do not seem to push this service, but it is a great resource. The driver, who has been there for over 3 years, is wonderful. I stay there for 4-5 days a year -- hell, he greeted me by name last week when I showed up! There is no reason to walk to the station or to cab it during those hours.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:

Most of the restaurants in Ebisu Garden place (next to the Westin) are overpriced and not so good, but there is a very good selection of restaurants at Ebisu station itself. Also, there's a nice live music place, "What the Dickens," only a few minutes walk from Ebisu station -- if you can find it!

Let me know if there are any other specifics I might be able to help you with.

(Edited for typos)

[This message has been edited by RichardInSF (edited 01-25-2003).]
</font>
Agree, although there is a decent Moti at the top of Ebisu Garden Place with a nice view of the area. Also, the Taillevent Robouchon is way over the top, very expensive, but very good. Make sure you go when someone else is paying.

At Ebisu station itself, lots of good places. If you are feeling raunchy, head on to the Bodeguita. There is also Ninnikuya, the famous all-garlic all the time restaurant, or Tonki, which has the best tonkatsu I've ever tried. The place runs like an assembly line, and the atmosphere is as much part of the experience as the food.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trd:
the Park Hyatt has a shuttle from the hotel to shinjuku (and return) every 20 minutes or so from 8am to 8pm -- ask for a schedule. They do not seem to push this service, but it is a great resource. The driver, who has been there for over 3 years, is wonderful. I stay there for 4-5 days a year -- hell, he greeted me by name last week when I showed up! There is no reason to walk to the station or to cab it during those hours.</font>
The driver is great. He also always greets me by name, although I stay there 4-5 times a year. The service itself is not quite in 20 minute intervals. It actually follows a rather random schedule throughout the day, and the service is limited during the weekends. I usually walk when I have time and the weather is good. Even if it is raining, you can be underground for 90% of the route to the station. There is an entry point to the pedestrian tunnel network at the Shinjuku Washington hotel next door.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:36 pm

At the PH, if you walk through the pastry shop, down the stairs, and out through the Park Tower building main door that you can see ahead of you, there is a free shuttle every 10 minutes from 10am-7pm (except for some reason, it stops earlier on Wednesdays) to the same stop the PH shuttle uses.

You can get schedules for the PH shuttle from the desk or the driver.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pickles:

At Ebisu station itself, lots of good places. If you are feeling raunchy, head on to the Bodeguita. There is also Ninnikuya, the famous all-garlic all the time restaurant, or Tonki, which has the best tonkatsu I've ever tried. The place runs like an assembly line, and the atmosphere is as much part of the experience as the food.
</font>
Ninniku-ya is hard to find. Walk out the station the same side as you come in from Ebisu Garden Place, down the stairs/escalator, and proceed away from the tracks until a block later you see a main street. Across the main street is a coffee shop (Cafe Renoir, but just written in Japanese) -- continue in the same direction you were going, passing next to Renoir on the left. When you are ready to give up, still keep walking until you see Ninniku-ya up a flight of stairs. Closed Monday, I believe, in which case, continue on to the excellent Fummy's Grill, a few blocks further down the street and turn left. By then, you are not that far from Hiro-o station!

Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:38 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:
At the PH, if you walk through the pastry shop, down the stairs, and out through the Park Tower building main door that you can see ahead of you, there is a free shuttle every 10 minutes from 10am-7pm (except for some reason, it stops earlier on Wednesdays) to the same stop the PH shuttle uses.

You can get schedules for the PH shuttle from the desk or the driver.
</font>
i'm now spending a week here at the PHT...and this is a great tips, thanks !! (although PHT's own shuttle schedule is quite convenient already too)
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pickles:
Agree, although there is a decent Moti at the top of Ebisu Garden Place with a nice view of the area. </font>
Pickles -- Sorry to say, but I've been to Moti in Roppongi, and unless this one is much better, I'd have to rank it among the worst Indian restaurants I've ever been to.

Who the hell serves sticky rice with Indian food?

Old Jan 30, 2003, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kv99:
Pickles -- Sorry to say, but I've been to Moti in Roppongi, and unless this one is much better, I'd have to rank it among the worst Indian restaurants I've ever been to.

Who the hell serves sticky rice with Indian food?

</font>
The Moti in Roppongi is a standout on how bad it is, so no new facts there. The one in Ebisu (and the one in Shibuya) are both better. But neither holds a candle to the Ajanta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.