Wiki Posts
Search

Long term rates

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Long term rates

Has anyone had any success getting a long term (3 month+) rate at a Hyatt property that is better than one can get themselves with a AAA or other standard discount code? FWIW, this is a lower priced Hyatt property in the D.C. area. NOT a HP, though I am going to try them, too.

I am getting pushback when trying to achieve this, though I have stayed there several times and have been Diamond for at least 4 years in a row now. It didn't appear to me that they really tried that hard, but I am hoping to validate my experience by hearing about yours.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Has anyone had any success getting a long term (3 month+) rate at a Hyatt property that is better than one can get themselves with a AAA or other standard discount code? FWIW, this is a lower priced Hyatt property in the D.C. area. NOT a HP, though I am going to try them, too.

I am getting pushback when trying to achieve this, though I have stayed there several times and have been Diamond for at least 4 years in a row now. It didn't appear to me that they really tried that hard, but I am hoping to validate my experience by hearing about yours.

Thanks!
I got a much better rate for an extended stay at a Marriott property (Residence Inn) by going to the hotel and speaking directly to the general manager. It's sure worth a try. Best of luck.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Just beware that long stay rate usually does not receive goldpassport benefits or stay credits.

Review on Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui
Review on Indigo Xiamen Harbour

Last edited by kuponuts; Jul 3, 2012 at 11:19 am
Old May 4, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm not sure about not earning points/stay credits; I would be surprised if that were the case.

One thing to consider is in that most states; stays over 30 days do not incur taxes!
Old May 4, 2012, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might have more success with negotiating perks rather than a greatly reduced rate. Think about what you want....
Old May 4, 2012, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Thanks!
Best place to negotiate rates is with the property itself. Either the GM or Sales Manager would handle this. This is a business deal and status means zippo. In general, any deal will mean no points/credits. Depending on how other bookings are, the rates can be in the 50-60% off.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Having stayed at a property for over 30 days and not getting any type of discount even after asking I think it may be better to look for the best deal whether AAA or corporate discount number for each day. It is definitely a pain but might save you more $.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Seems to me I've read on these boards that there are long term hotels and "long term" hotels. Hyatt House, Extended Stay and Residence Inn might come under the latter heading. There is a length at which the stay or the hotel comes under different tariffs (including health laws?), I think. Some answer, I know, but perhaps it will prompt someone closer to the industry here to flesh - or knock - this out. Meantime, you may have run up against this.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might have more success with negotiating perks rather than a greatly reduced rate. Think about what you want....
I agree, speak to the GM and negotiate. Perks like a daily complimentary laundry allowance, as well club access and other benefits could be negotiated.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree, speak to the GM and negotiate. Perks like a daily complimentary laundry allowance, as well club access and other benefits could be negotiated.
Well, the problem with that is that as a Hyatt Diamond, I already have pretty much all of the amenities the hotel can offer. This particular Hyatt doesn't have a HR club, so I even get free breakfast (which I am usually able to get lunch from as well). And I have eaten dinner there enough to be bored with all of the limited menu offerings.

So it's looking like I have a choice between this place or a nearby HP for about $10/night less.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
I have managed to secure long term rates more than once at several different Hyatt.
The rates I got consistently price in lower than AAA and Standard discount.

FWIW (rates before taxs and fees)
HP : under 120 per day
HR : under 180 per day
PH : under 300 per day

In my experience it is often cheaper during winter than summer so rates varies. I can't speak for all locations and I often book way in advance (more than 4 months prior) so YMMV.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 6, 2012 at 1:24 am
Old May 17, 2012, 8:48 pm

Thanks!
I have quite a bit of experience with negotiating long term rates with the DC area Hyatts. To give a bit of background I have stayed at the Hyatt House Herndon for 5 months, Hyatt Regency Bethesda for 4.5 months and I'm currently halfway through a 6 month stay at the Hyatt Regency Fair Lakes.

The only way to truly negotiate a rate is through the sales manager at the hotel. They are the only person who is going to be able to offer that rate, which is why if your plans change and you need to add extra days on either end you have to have them add them.

The way it works is they first offer you what's called their "30+ night rack rate". This typically seems to be 30-40% off the Hyatt Daily Rate. What I do to get it even farther down is I get a quote from 3 or 4 of the Hyatt's in the area (this is the Beltway so they are plentiful) then use them against each other to negotiate lower than the rack rate offered initially. For example for the current stay I called Hyatt Dulles, Hyatt Place Dulles North, Hyatt House Herndon and Hyatt Regency Fair Lakes. Of course the Hyatt Place and Hyatt house were the lowest rack rates so I called the Hyatt Dulles and Hyatt Regency Fair Lakes back and spoke to the sales managers again letting them know how I would prefer their hotel but am under pressure to keep costs down. After a feel minutes of very polite, courteous arm twisting I got the Hyatt Regency Fair Lakes down to a 60% discount from their daily rate.

Now some sales managers just won't play the game, this time the Hyatt Place Dulles North wouldn't even call me back. But if you get a sales manager who wants to fill the room for a long time period and you are staying for several months it's very possible to get 50%+ off the daily rate if you are persistent enough.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by thecloser
I have quite a bit of experience with negotiating long term rates with the DC area Hyatts. To give a bit of background I have stayed at the Hyatt House Herndon for 5 months, Hyatt Regency Bethesda for 4.5 months and I'm currently halfway through a 6 month stay at the Hyatt Regency Fair Lakes.

The only way to truly negotiate a rate is through the sales manager at the hotel. They are the only person who is going to be able to offer that rate, which is why if your plans change and you need to add extra days on either end you have to have them add them.

The way it works is they first offer you what's called their "30+ night rack rate". This typically seems to be 30-40% off the Hyatt Daily Rate. What I do to get it even farther down is I get a quote from 3 or 4 of the Hyatt's in the area (this is the Beltway so they are plentiful) then use them against each other to negotiate lower than the rack rate offered initially. For example for the current stay I called Hyatt Dulles, Hyatt Place Dulles North, Hyatt House Herndon and Hyatt Regency Fair Lakes. Of course the Hyatt Place and Hyatt house were the lowest rack rates so I called the Hyatt Dulles and Hyatt Regency Fair Lakes back and spoke to the sales managers again letting them know how I would prefer their hotel but am under pressure to keep costs down. After a feel minutes of very polite, courteous arm twisting I got the Hyatt Regency Fair Lakes down to a 60% discount from their daily rate.

Now some sales managers just won't play the game, this time the Hyatt Place Dulles North wouldn't even call me back. But if you get a sales manager who wants to fill the room for a long time period and you are staying for several months it's very possible to get 50%+ off the daily rate if you are persistent enough.
That sounds a lot tougher than what I do. I just call in and ask for 30+ day rates. They usually, like you said, give 30-40% off the Hyatt daily rate at the time of booking. I am fine with that, because I usually negotiate them more than 7 mths in advance.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
That sounds a lot tougher than what I do. I just call in and ask for 30+ day rates. They usually, like you said, give 30-40% off the Hyatt daily rate at the time of booking. I am fine with that, because I usually negotiate them more than 7 mths in advance.
Yeah the regular 30+ night rack rate is easy. Personally I like the challenge of getting them as low as possible. And with the amount of time I spend in hotels it saves me an extra $15k to $25k per year depending on the year which is great.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by thecloser
Yeah the regular 30+ night rack rate is easy. Personally I like the challenge of getting them as low as possible. And with the amount of time I spend in hotels it saves me an extra $15k to $25k per year depending on the year which is great.
Because I usually call in way in advance, the rates are typically much lower then. Usually 3 months out I see the rates go up (especially for summer res) and I end up at closer to 50-70% off those rack rate because I do it early.

It also helps if you have multiple hyatt, which I don't at some locations. I've done that with different chains before (using them to drive down the prices), I was basically black listed by one hotel .

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.