FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Grand Hyatt Seattle REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/134217-grand-hyatt-seattle-review-master-thread.html)

365RoadWarrior Dec 23, 2012 5:04 pm

I’ve just completed a stay that stood out so distinctively that I’ve decided to indulge in a bit of a rave. I’ve been in hotels daily since 1999 (less a few nights on planes, in airports and on friends’ couches). My three weeks at the Grand Hyatt Seattle were the best I’ve had.

Every week, I was warmly greeted and assured that my Diamond privileges (i.e. internet access and Grand Club access) would be delivered. And they were. Initially, I was concerned that, after an internet check-in, there were no lobby kiosks. (So much for the shortcut.) But I came to realize that the front desk was so efficient and pleasant, losing guests to the impersonal kiosk would have deprived the hotel of making an excellent first impression.

The other major point of personal contact was the Grand Club. In the morning, Diana took excellent care of me and all lounge guests. I missed the oatmeal of days-gone-by (just packets to mix now), but I know the non-vegetarian majority was very happy to see hot eggs and bacon. Another bonus was real, brewed coffee (plus a machine, for people with that interest).

I had originally intended to stay three weeks straight- through, but rates got a bit high on three nights, so I moved to the Hyatt Place. This meant three check-ins at the Grand Hyatt. Each and every time, I was upgraded to either an Emerald Suite or an Executive suite. These upgrades were not based on Diamond Suite Upgrades – I’ve watched twelve of those expire because I can never seem to book them – these upgrades were “just because”. I never asked either.

My rooms were large, perfectly maintained and offered really panoramic views of the area. They each felt like the best room in the hotel.

The fitness center always looked immaculate and never got crowded. Towels always neatly stacked; headphones available, all the little things.

Checking out was sad. But at least all the bills were correct (e.g., internet fees waived). It’s my clear first-choice hotel in Seattle. I’ve wrapped up business with my client there, so I’m looking for any excuse to go back.

777 global mile hound Dec 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 19911727)
I’ve just completed a stay that stood out so distinctively that I’ve decided to indulge in a bit of a rave. I’ve been in hotels daily since 1999 (less a few nights on planes, in airports and on friends’ couches). My three weeks at the Grand Hyatt Seattle were the best I’ve had.

Every week, I was warmly greeted and assured that my Diamond privileges (i.e. internet access and Grand Club access) would be delivered. And they were. Initially, I was concerned that, after an internet check-in, there were no lobby kiosks. (So much for the shortcut.) But I came to realize that the front desk was so efficient and pleasant, losing guests to the impersonal kiosk would have deprived the hotel of making an excellent first impression.

The other major point of personal contact was the Grand Club. In the morning, Diana took excellent care of me and all lounge guests. I missed the oatmeal of days-gone-by (just packets to mix now), but I know the non-vegetarian majority was very happy to see hot eggs and bacon. Another bonus was real, brewed coffee (plus a machine, for people with that interest).

I had originally intended to stay three weeks straight- through, but rates got a bit high on three nights, so I moved to the Hyatt Place. This meant three check-ins at the Grand Hyatt. Each and every time, I was upgraded to either an Emerald Suite or an Executive suite. These upgrades were not based on Diamond Suite Upgrades – I’ve watched twelve of those expire because I can never seem to book them – these upgrades were “just because”. I never asked either.

My rooms were large, perfectly maintained and offered really panoramic views of the area. They each felt like the best room in the hotel.

The fitness center always looked immaculate and never got crowded. Towels always neatly stacked; headphones available, all the little things.

Checking out was sad. But at least all the bills were correct (e.g., internet fees waived). It’s my clear first-choice hotel in Seattle. I’ve wrapped up business with my client there, so I’m looking for any excuse to go back.

How dare you be satisfied with a stay in this forum ;)
This is simply not acceptable and has to stop :D
While I can't claim the same luck in my upgrades here I can say historically this hotel has had an exceptional track record in the data I have tracked over the years
So I personally agree with your ^ overall assessment of Diamond recognition
I've never departed unhappy or frustrated with my stay even when handed the keys to a mere dare I say well positioned guest room!

Coming from any Hyatt Place in any city IMHO Grand Hyatt Seattle for me is the last word.
I don't dislike the HP brand but its overpriced compared to Hyatt full service properties in the major markets and recognition is questionable at best........
This month with the incredible jaw dropping Hilton hotel sale with 4 and 5 Star properties at 50 to 135 dollars a night (through january 7th)
Then toss in respectable HH point promotions its really hard to say no.Its like Hyatt did some years ago
Even when I said no to staying Hilton anymore I'm back.
Never say never I guess
I haven't set foot inside a Hyatt on a revenue stay since.And won't until the Hilton sale ends.

365RoadWarrior Dec 23, 2012 7:45 pm

I really did like the Hyatt Place Seattle Downtown, when the GH got out of my price range. One of my favorite Hyatt Places. But, no doubt, the "bar" is lower in the $93 range.

777 global mile hound Dec 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 19912271)
I really did like the Hyatt Place Seattle Downtown, when the GH got out of my price range. One of my favorite Hyatt Places. But, no doubt, the "bar" is lower in the $93 range.

Agreed 93 in major city like Seattle is a very fair deal
Try paying $179 to 200 for Hyatt Place in suburban New York and you may be less enthused ;)

ldsant Dec 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Fitness center is closed tomorrow due to renovations. All new equipment is being brought into the fitness center at this property.

dayone Dec 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant (Post 19924523)
Fitness center is closed tomorrow due to renovations. All new equipment is being brought into the fitness center at this property.

The existing equipment was in sterling shape last month. Life Fitness must want to showcase some new gear.

FD1971 Dec 27, 2012 2:08 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 19912138)

This month with the incredible jaw dropping Hilton hotel sale with 4 and 5 Star properties at 50 to 135 dollars a night (through january 7th)
Then toss in respectable HH point promotions its really hard to say no.Its like Hyatt did some years ago
Even when I said no to staying Hilton anymore I'm back.
Never say never I guess
I haven't set foot inside a Hyatt on a revenue stay since.And won't until the Hilton sale ends.

You are arriving very very late, but finally you made it to the 'Bye Bye Hyatt' party, a celebration that a lot of loyal Hyatt customers seem to enjoy in various locations since some years or at least some months now.

It is obvious that SPG is ahead of Hyatt now and for a lot of people in Europe Carlsson also left Hyatt behind, but it is somehow shocking to see Hilton making a run again. Most of us though that HHonors was lost froever some years ago...

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 19924820)
The existing equipment was in sterling shape last month. Life Fitness must want to showcase some new gear.

Quite often, the equipment is leased, so it will be replaced after the lease is up.

365RoadWarrior Dec 27, 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 19924820)

Indeed it was in great shape. It was, however, a generation or two old. Probably parts, service considerations weighed in.

777 global mile hound Dec 27, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 19926348)
You are arriving very very late, but finally you made it to the 'Bye Bye Hyatt' party, a celebration that a lot of loyal Hyatt customers seem to enjoy in various locations since some years or at least some months now.

It is obvious that SPG is ahead of Hyatt now and for a lot of people in Europe Carlsson also left Hyatt behind, but it is somehow shocking to see Hilton making a run again. Most of us though that HHonors was lost froever some years ago...

Quite often, the equipment is leased, so it will be replaced after the lease is up.

No Hyatt farewell party for me.
I am big fan of many Hyatt full service hotels.
Sure there have been some disappointments with the way the program has been stripped and new enhancements or promotional aspects not added for those members currently participating or considering particpating
On the other hand selfishly for many Diamond members self included recognition & overall experiences continues to be strong and typically consistent.

antinseattle Jan 5, 2013 7:19 pm

Recent 2.night staycation, at GH. Friendly staff, great standard room-decent Space Needle view-2016, huge bathroom, great workout/spa/health club. Very good service from set all te way to checkout. Ruth Chris and The Daily (block away) both excellent for Happy Hour. Will be back. Soon ^. A

apodo77 Jan 8, 2013 7:31 pm

Stay here about 12 nights per year and I am a big fan.

Never an issue and a great staff.

Staying here right now in fact.

mr27 Jan 8, 2013 11:58 pm

A

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 20006433)
Stay here about 12 nights per year and I am a big fan.

Never an issue and a great staff.

Staying here right now in fact.

Good to hear ^. Will stay here Friday for my first time after many stays at Olive 8.

kenbo Jan 9, 2013 8:36 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle (Post 19984035)
Recent 2.night staycation, at GH. Friendly staff, great standard room-decent Space Needle view-2016, huge bathroom, great workout/spa/health club. Very good service from set all te way to checkout. Ruth Chris and The Daily (block away) both excellent for Happy Hour. Will be back. Soon ^. A

I was bummed to find out that Ruth's Chris removed 1/3 of the prime rib sliders from the happy hour menu. It used to be 3 sliders for $6. Last time I went, it was only 2 sliders. WEAK. :p

ldsant Jan 10, 2013 12:17 am

Originally Posted by kenbo (Post 20009621)
I was bummed to find out that Ruth's Chris removed 1/3 of the prime rib sliders from the happy hour menu. It used to be 3 sliders for $6. Last time I went, it was only 2 sliders. WEAK. :p

May want to try Szerac's Happy Hour (at Hotel Monaco). One of the best Happy Hours in Seattle imo.

blase Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

I love this hotel. Staying for two nights in Feb. before our trip to Hawaii. Last year when we stayed we used a suite upgrade and got an Executive Suite - amazing views, and it was so spacious and homey feeling. Hope we get the same this year!