Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sanctuary Cove - Gold Coast REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - LEAVING HYATT 12/5/12?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sanctuary Cove - Gold Coast REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - LEAVING HYATT 12/5/12?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:06 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ben20:

Another question:

Is it worth to stay in a SUITE
at Hyatt Sanctuary Cove ? I am on a long holiday.
Any experiences?

Is it better to fly to Brisbane or to Coolangetta/gold coast airport? Does anyone know what the cost for a limo or taxi is from the airport?
</font>
I was on a points stay and they gave me a huge suite maybe because it was in July. It had lots of room I would say like a trpical Hyatt Suite,I did think the room needed some upgrading.
I flew in to Gold Coast a small airport and drove out there.It takes about 45 min or so.
This resort is really the only thing around the area so I just drove to Surfers Paridise everyday about a 25 min drive.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Well, even if I have not stayed at this one (I stayed at the Marriott which is simply marvellous and at the Coolum Beach which was only so-so) on my Australia Trip, I've visited the property and found it to be looking better than Coolum. But it surely is not 25 minutes away from Surfers Paradise. Maybe a quarter an hour. By the way, if you stay there, try that eatery in their Marina which is built over the sea, it had superb food when we were there. Don't recall the name though. A car is a must to visit the Gold Coast attractions ben20.

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:48 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Sanctuary Cove is situated where the Gold Coast's picturesque Coomera River flows into the Broadwater, 65 kilometres (40 miles) south of Brisbane and 40 kilometres (25 miles) north of the Gold Coast's Coolangatta Airport.

The ultimate Gold Coast resort, Sanctuary Cove offers a 330-berth marina and two championship golf courses and is also the venue of the annual Sanctuary Cove Boat Show, an important international marine event in the Asia-Pacific region.

Within minutes of Hyatt Regency Sanctuary Cove are Warner Bros Movie World, Dreamworld, Sea World and the Wet 'n' Wild water park. The Gold Coast's beach capital, Surfers Paradise, is just 20 minutes south of the resort hotel.
This has been copied from the Hyatt's web site.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 4:41 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Try their Fireplace restaurant, which is really good.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:42 am

15 minutes for a drive from Sanctuary Cove to downtown Surfers is a bit short. I used to go up there with a friend whose parents have an apartment there and it would usually take us about 30 minutes depending on traffic.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 8:08 am

Hyatt Regency Sanctuary Cove report

Well, we are back from what should have been a ten night Hyatt Sanctuary Cove Stay (we checked out two nights early & stayed away two nights mid-stay).

Well, we are back, but I was really shocked at the condition of this hotel. We got a 110.00 aud. rate Club at the Hyatt members discount, but still in all, I expected a LOT more from a purported five star property.

At check in, we upgraded to RC for an extra 80.00 aud. per night (thus bringing the rate to 190.00 plus tax). When we arrived at our RC building the elevator was broken (I'm in a wheelchair so this was an issue), while waiting for a new room assignment on the main floor, we went to the RC club. It is SMALL with no complimentary internet access, there was no food, two bottles of soft drinks available, not staffed & to top it off, the d*mn latte/coffee maker was broken. We left & went for a walk around the hotel. from the rear you can tell this resort is TIRED... finally we got a new room assignment & off we went... When entering the room we noticed it was FREEZING, we turned the AC so it wasn't so cold.. then we noticed why it was SO cold in there... the MILDEW smell was awful, but at this point we just sucked it up & stayed in the room (there wasn't anything else available...) Seeing the condition of the resort, I started calling around to other resorts in the area... NOTHING was available, but I was able to snag a night at the Sheraton at Noosa (while there we were able to extend THAT for a night). I figured why not escape the Hyatt for a night... The furnishings in the room were fine, but the bathroom shows the age of this resort, early 80's to be exact & there seems to be mold growing betweent he two layers of glass in all of the rooms (we saw three rooms & each of the three had mold growing).... Then to add insult to injury, we were told it would be 2.50 for a bucket of ice... there are no complimentary ice machines!!

Oh, did I mention we cancelled the RC club??

Oddly, the main building requires a step up at each exterior doorway & there are no ramps (no big deal for most, but it was for me) We were able to obtain lodging elsewhere for our last two nights & oddly the only other wheelchair guest was checking out early himself (he was staying in two rooms due to his family size)

I like the employee who said "in the states this resort wouldn't get 1 star"... I tend to agree with him. If you are looking for a five star property as I was, don't believe the Hyatt website that claims this resort to be just that... it isn't....

Sorry for the sad report, but this resort did not live up to the claim it makes on the webpage... even after we moved rooms for our last two nights, I was still able to smell some mildew, just not the overwhelming amount we had in the first room!

Old Jan 21, 2004, 4:25 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
While I certainly agree that from a handicapped access point this property leaves quite a bit to be desired (my partner was in a wheelchair for the last three years of his life) I found the rest of the resort to be quite fine. Perhaps my room had recently been renovated (this was last August). I actually extended my stay from 3 nights to 4 while I was there. The RC did not have internet, but of the 5 Australian Hyatts that I have stayed at only the Park Sydney had internet access in the room. The RC was small but respectibly appointed -- good selection of wines, OK snacks, etc. I don't believe the RC in Melbourne or Adelaine have free internet access either(but it has been 2 years since I have stayed there). As to the ice, being a typical American, I want ice all the time -- I have no memories of any difficulty getting ice -- certainly did not pay for it. My experience was quite possitive, sorry yours was not.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:10 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
I recenly stayed in this resort and I liked it a lot !
My suite was in excellent condition !
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Review of: Hyatt Regency Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast Australia

Stay was 2 nights Saturday to Monday. Booked via Phone Reservations, AUD 315 1st night and 275 2nd night, Escape Package. It’s a good deal incl. breakfast and Spa / Rec Club access
Requested early check-in and late check-out, both were not given.

Upon arrival we were quickly checked- in. Being told they were very sorry that there was no better room available for tonight (standard room next to a wedding chapel, king size bed). They would switch us to a better one next day.
Next day I was asked what kind of room I would like to have and was given a Lagoon view one, not Club level as there was no King Room avail.

The Hotel itself is a bit worn down, the spa facilities are a 5 minute shuttle drive away and also not in the best shape. The golf courses are great as well as the salt water, jelly fish free Lagoon.
It can be crowded with families at weekends, but most of them behave well. Use the heated whirlpool after 5 pm and you are fine. We even brought our own wine down, no complains.

We had dinner at the Cove Café Restaurant the first night, very good value for money, attentive service.
The second night we had dinner at the Fireplace, their fine dining like restaurant. Meals are prepared at a fireplace which adds nice flavour to the food.
In my opinion the food was not that great having their signature dishes (Sirloin steak and free roaming duck breast each with veggies). The prices are quite high. Attentive service too, not pushing.

Over all I would say it’s a place one can feel comfy, not having to care about dress codes at all (that’s an issue at the Versace Palace I was at 2 weeks ago. Feels a bit like being in a constant running fashion competition), the nightly rates are appropriate.

Will be at the Hyatt Regency Coolum, Sunshine Coast, in 2 weeks. Review to follow then.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:14 pm

Any update on this property at all?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Checked in quite late for 3 night paid stay. Check in was very quick and assistant manager came out to introduce himself and gave us his card.

Room was quite large but looking a little tired. No amenity but RC access. Ordered room service as late (restricted menu and some restaurants closed until 23rd January). They called after 45 minutes to say they had forgotten our order - came 30 minutes later and was free.

There is some construction work at the Marina Village so you may be disturbed after 7:30AM by noise from there and also they cut the lawns very early in the morning.

RC is small for property of this size - breakfast is OK but very limited selection. One morning it was chaos with no organisation - other mornings was OK. Very different in the evenings as RC stands for Regency Creche. One evening there were 14 adults and 22 kids at one point and then another mother walked in with 5 kids - we left as we don't really enjoy children screaming, running around and pawing at food. You can upgrade your breakfast for A$15 per person but this has to be done the night before!?

Salt water lagoon is very good and was rarely crowded.

Ordered another room service meal - no wine by the glass available. Food was good but again a long wait.

No free WiFi - about A$30 for the day.

Overall an OK property
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:04 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Checked in quite late for 3 night paid stay. Check in was very quick and assistant manager came out to introduce himself and gave us his card.

Room was quite large but looking a little tired. No amenity but RC access. Ordered room service as late (restricted menu and some restaurants closed until 23rd January). They called after 45 minutes to say they had forgotten our order - came 30 minutes later and was free.

There is some construction work at the Marina Village so you may be disturbed after 7:30AM by noise from there and also they cut the lawns very early in the morning.

RC is small for property of this size - breakfast is OK but very limited selection. One morning it was chaos with no organisation - other mornings was OK. Very different in the evenings as RC stands for Regency Creche. One evening there were 14 adults and 22 kids at one point and then another mother walked in with 5 kids - we left as we don't really enjoy children screaming, running around and pawing at food. You can upgrade your breakfast for A$15 per person but this has to be done the night before!?

Salt water lagoon is very good and was rarely crowded.

Ordered another room service meal - no wine by the glass available. Food was good but again a long wait.

No free WiFi - about A$30 for the day.

Overall an OK property

Never had a problem with kids there or at most others hotel club, in 99% of the cases they were well behaved!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:24 pm

after 2 stays in 2 years i can confidently say this property has pluses and minuses:

plus: peace and quiet. isolated golf course-esque locale and waterway adjacent (but access for boating not swimming). large "lagoon" (swimming pool designed to look natural). within evening striking distance of a few great towns and the major tourist attractions of bris and gold coast.

minus: absolutely clueless in terms of gp status/recognition/rules of such. quirky room types, configurations. older everything. economy (?) seems to have forced closure of some of the smaller dining options in the adjacent low-key shopping center. "on the reservation" feel-- do you want to "bother" snaking through all the roads to go off-site for anything.

used this as a (free on points) touring/vacationing base to the area, but have never spent an entire day on site, and would never plan to. too many small hassles to recommend it to frequent travelers (less than polished management), but nice spot if you're local and know your way around.
Old May 20, 2011, 4:48 pm

Currently nhouse at this hotel
its the boat how
paid and upgraded with suite UG.
the suite is in very good condition
I have been coming here since it was built in 1988 and nothing has changed still same bathroom( but typical queenslander style which it absolutely should be!)
given only a small box of macarrons

though another family member also diamond on points got a bottle of red wine

go figure that!!!

the club has never had much food just a little smoked salmon some ok sushi cheeses and dips.
help your self wines and mixers 5.30-7
breakfast is buffet in restaurant.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:51 pm

off to the boat show again 25 may

anyone else coming in?
i presume nothing has changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.