Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fluff Ermine
Has pulling out the app and forcing the issue for Glob standard suites never worked at this property? Unless the GM is a real stickler (which it sounds like he is) I find it unusual that they would just pull a one-category upgrade trick. Maybe they're not as receptive towards non-Koreans, but that puts a damper on my Cat 4 redemption plan.
Suites are usually sold out (weekends) and I seemed to have been chasing a Corner room shadow during one stay. Disappeared during communication with my concierge. I had a screenshot but seems they either sold it or took it out of inventory. It was a Han River view high floor Club room that was pretty terrible for what they charge compared to JW Marriott, Grand IC, etc.

The Grand suite is their former low floors Jr. suite masquerading as a proper suite.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Aventine
Suites are usually sold out (weekends) and I seemed to have been chasing a Corner room shadow during one stay. Disappeared during communication with my concierge. I had a screenshot but seems they either sold it or took it out of inventory. It was a Han River view high floor Club room that was pretty terrible for what they charge compared to JW Marriott, Grand IC, etc.

The Grand suite is their former low floors Jr. suite masquerading as a proper suite.
Thanks, your Korean Hyatt experience is proving invaluable yet again. Going on a Monday(?) so maybe there'll be a loose suite or that elusive corner room dangling.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fluff Ermine
Thanks, your Korean Hyatt experience is proving invaluable yet again. Going on a Monday(?) so maybe there'll be a loose suite or that elusive corner room dangling.
Report back and good luck.
Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Stayed here in mid-Oct for five nights and burned a suite upgrade cert for the stay. Was given one of the "Grand Suites", and while I was happy with the room, I can totally see how it was previously a Jr. Suite. The rotating TV "wall" the separates the sleeping area from the lounge area was pretty interesting. First time seeing something like that for me.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Wrapped up a one night Saturday stay here and it was okay. This thread prepared me well for what to expect.

Pros:
- Friendly and attentive staff. Was my first time at a Hyatt in East Asia so perhaps that is the standard but props to the staff. Globalist benefits were explained clearly.
- Breakfast was quite good! Again, could be the standard in Korea but it was the best breakfast I had in a hotel lounge so far. Fair amount of choices and both western and Korean options.
- We enjoyed the baths/sauna. Not a lot of people there and very clean/well run. Basically a jjimjilbang with only the baths/sauna. No main area where both genders can hang out. No massages or exfoliation area. Gym looked surprisingly a little full. People were even playing squash on the courts there.
- Nice welcome gift of Korean snacks in a box in our room.
- Nice view from room.

Cons:
- Obviously very full on Saturday. Globalist/club check in is in lower level (LL) so it was only a slight wait in the lounge there but main level was packed.
- Because of how busy it was, there was no upgrade available on check in. They apologized for the inconvenience and said they tried to give us a room with a good view at least.
- The main spots of the room were clean and the bathroom was one of the cleanest I've seen, but there were some spots they clearly did not clean as thoroughly. Also showed some signs of the room being dated. Pictures show a bit more on what I'm talking about. White mark on a sofa cushion, exposed wiring on wall, a clipped toe nail(?), debris left near trash can, etc. Thankfully the bed and bathroom looked quite clean so we weren't too concerned, but definitely showed some sloppiness in that aspect.
- Not too many buses running and Naver/Kakao map didn't show when buses would arrive like they do for the other buses, but we didn't have to wait long (5 min max?) to catch buses. Not sure if we just got lucky or if they run often.
- Wife thought about swimming but the pool is tiny and seemed quite busy. Decided not to bother.

Overall pretty good value for it being a cat 4 hotel. I would recommend booking with points and if you are looking for a weekend stay, book early as it will be sold out.

Welcome sheet and outlined benefits such as free spa entrance for Globalist

Breakfast

View from room at night

Day view

Toenail? Wasn’t sure

Exposed wiring

White spot on sofa cushion. Wife did not want to use the sofa anymore ha

Trash near trash bin
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Originally Posted by dsywon
- We enjoyed the baths/sauna. Not a lot of people there and very clean/well run. Basically a jjimjilbang with only the baths/sauna. No main area where both genders can hang out. No massages or exfoliation area. Gym looked surprisingly a little full. People were even playing squash on the courts there.
Trash near trash bin
Were you charged for using the sauna area?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lautaro
Globalists get it for free.
lautaro likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by lautaro
no it is free for Globalist
lautaro likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrapped up a one night Saturday stay here and it was okay. This thread prepared me well for what to expect.

Welcome sheet and outlined benefits such as free spa entrance for Globalist

View from room at night

Day view

Toenail? Wasn’t sure

Exposed wiring

White spot on sofa cushion. Wife did not want to use the sofa anymore ha

Trash near trash bin
That's a pretty filthy Standard Room and still a shame they're not even trying to give Globalists a corner room.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:41 am

That's a pretty filthy Standard Room and still a shame they're not even trying to give Globalists a corner room.
Yeah the cleaning of the room was poor. I imagine they spent most of their effort/time on the bed/bathroom which was very clean to be fair, but they obviously did not put nearly the same amount of care on the other parts of the room.

Room choice was disappointing yet expected. I guess in their defense at least we perhaps checked in too early (3pm) to catch the rooms of most Globalists that late checkout and too late to get priority for non-Globalist or early check outs. Also Saturday was completely packed, not a single room available for cash on the website. We were okay since we didn’t spend much time at the hotel but I would definitely try the Andaz or PH Seoul next. They seemed to be less packed based on inventory. GH is cheap on points so meh.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah the cleaning of the room was poor. I imagine they spent most of their effort/time on the bed/bathroom which was very clean to be fair, but they obviously did not put nearly the same amount of care on the other parts of the room.

Room choice was disappointing yet expected. I guess in their defense at least we perhaps checked in too early (3pm) to catch the rooms of most Globalists that late checkout and too late to get priority for non-Globalist or early check outs. Also Saturday was completely packed, not a single room available for cash on the website. We were okay since we didn’t spend much time at the hotel but I would definitely try the Andaz or PH Seoul next. They seemed to be less packed based on inventory. GH is cheap on points so meh.
GH does a lot of staycation third party bookings and the only place in Seoul to use a Cat 1-4 cert. They do like to try to pressure Globalists to leave at 2pm.

Last edited by Aventine; Nov 20, 2022 at 5:28 pm
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Has anyone stayed at the Presidential Suite here? 3500 sq feet is absurd lol
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
Has anyone stayed at the Presidential Suite here? 3500 sq feet is absurd lol
It's probably the only good suite at this hotel. Probably only Courtesy Card holders have ever even sniffed this suite.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
It's probably the only good suite at this hotel. Probably only Courtesy Card holders have ever even sniffed this suite.
Dick and Lynne Cheney stayed there in April 2004.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG PA, Hilton Sucks, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wilywombat
Wrapping up six nights here, stayed on a mixture of FNCs and Amex FHR bookings (the latter to burn the $200 Plat credits). Grab bag of thoughts:
  • We stayed in both a standard 1 King Bed room on the 11th floor (Han River view) and two different 1 King Bed Club Access rooms on the 18th floor (one Han River view, one Mountain View). The Club Access rooms have more recently remodeled bathrooms, and come with a bidet, at the expense of losing the tub from the standard 1 King Bed. I think this is a worthwhile tradeoff. The bathroom from the standard 1 King Bed was definitely a bit dated but more than functional. The views on both sides are quite nice, and I'm glad we got to see both the Han River and Namsan sides of the hotel.
  • No suites available during our stays. It seemed like they were at capacity over the weekend, based on what I saw in the app. The check-in area of the lobby can get pretty bustling around check-in time on Friday/Saturday. I see how it is a popular staycation destination for Koreans.
  • Every taxi driver will know to come here if you say "Hyatt." (Might need to add a bit of a Korean accent, though.) Makes me wonder how hard it is to get a taxi to go to the Park Hyatt if you are only an English speaker and not showing them an address on your phone, though... lol
  • Impressed with the F&B from the club lounge and the free breakfast at The Terrace via FHR. (Asterisk: Mrs. Wilywombat and I do not have the most refined tastes in the world.) The Terrace has lots of variety and everything we tried was good. A nice perk if going the Prive/FHR route. We also ordered room service since we had the 130,000 KRW F&B credit through FHR, and it was also impressive and prompt. The credit was enough for 2 burgers and 2 desserts.
  • All of the staff have been very kind, helpful, and accommodating. English abilities have also been quite good across the board. Mrs. Wilywombat speaks conversational Korean but it was nice to know that I could ask anyone something in English and be fine without her.
  • Indoor pool size is quite disappointing. I got some lap swimming in, but I really wish there was more than one lane to work with. The online reservation system for booking a timeslot works fine.
  • We poked our heads into the sauna (free for Globs). Very nice facility with lots of nice shower/post-shower products to use. We are not really sauna/jjimjilbang people, but a nice perk regardless.
  • I will echo others' sentiments that it is not the most convenient destination for tourism. We relied heavily on the 402/405 buses, which have stops just outside of the hotel's front. I didn't necessarily mind this, as I am generally a big public transportation fan and enjoyed getting to experience the bus system, which is quite good. We never had to wait longer than 5-7 minutes for a bus, even at night, which are very impressive headways for a transit-deprived American like myself. But I can see how someone might prefer a hotel that's right on top of a subway station, or one that is generally more accessible and not on top of the hill. We never attempted the walk downhill to the Itaewon subway stop, but I know it's possible based on others' reviews. (The unfortunate tragedy in Itaewon did happen during our stay -- needless to say, I hope something like this never happens again.)
Our decision to stay at the GH Seoul was primarily motivated for cost reasons, as the FNCs covered 2 nights and the FHR rate meant we ultimately paid very little out of pocket. I think it is a good (not great) use of a Cat 1-4 FNC, and if the FHR cash rate continues to stay in the $200 ballpark and you have Plat credits to burn, it is a fairly optimal place to use them. I was willing to make the compromise in location/convenience, but we are overall quite happy with our stay and would return again in the future.
Just a heads-up to those others (non-Globalists in particular) who are looking to score a suite upgrade at this hotel on the Amex Plat FHR booking... It's critical to book and pay for a "Corner King" bedroom. Then and only then is there the possibility of getting upgraded to a suite. If you pay for and book anything less, suite upgrades are basically impossible. My recent TA review covered this, and the GM responded: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...tel-Seoul.html

Last edited by cmhsieh54; Jan 10, 2023 at 3:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.