Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Fukuoka REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2023, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Fukuoka REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM (Former PM)
Originally Posted by Aventine
I wonder who gets the worst Hyatt title now?
IMO the Grand in Fukuoka- due to smelly rooms We're not returning for many years.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Neric
IMO the Grand in Fukuoka- due to smelly rooms We're not returning for many years.
And their prices aren't cheap either for what you get.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:59 am

Had a 2 night stay stay at the Grand because relatives were already booked here. Booked a club access room with points.

Got a 12th floor room facing the waterway with two doubles. Non noise issues from the mall water show. Large and spacious after coming from a traditional Japanese inn with rooms the size of half a shoebox. Room is old school style but maintained well.

Club on the 5th floor manned every time we entered. Breakfast is simple but had some hot dishes and cold dishes enough for a hearty breakfast. Happy hour with drinks had hot and cold snacks enough for a light dinner.

The pool is chargeable unless in a club room. (Charge is 1k yen pppd). Nice indoor lappable pool. The sauna and japense bathhouse is nice with hot, warm, and cold pool with sauna and steam room.

Location within the Canal City shopping. Not exactly close to Hakata or Tenjin stations but 100yen but near the hotel will get you there.

Would definitely return if the price is right. Really enjoyed the Grand. (Disclaimer: we stayed at a local hotel for the previous 3 nights which made this made a real upgrade)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:20 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Aventine
I wonder who gets the worst Hyatt title now?
I just read that you and some others were discussing this in the HR Osaka thread. I wanted to respond here to avoid going off-topic there.

I had a couple stays at HR Fukuoka (plus some at the GH) in November/early December. I have a hard time calling the HR terrible. Yes, the rooms are old, but that's not uncommon in Japan -- I've experienced lack of investment at numerous Hyatts (Osaka, GHF, HRT), Sheratons (Osaka, Yokohama, Miyazaki), ICs (Tokyo Bay), Hiltons (Odawara), Westins (Nagoya -now gone- and Tokyo) and CPs (Kobe, Kumamoto, Nagasaki, Kanazawa) in the last few years. Some of these hotels have started remodeling select floors, and some are now fully remodeled, but in Japan, unless I pay upward of 30k yen, I tend to go in with very low expectations in terms of getting a modern room.

I don't pick HR Fukuoka because of a burning desire to stay there, but only when no realistic alternatives exist (GH and CP sold out or 3-5x more expensive). I've always been given decent sized rooms (39sqm) on the club floor. Everything is old, but clean and functional. The club lounge is not bad. A couple hot items, and some high-quality cold stuff. Decent drinks selection. I'm always given vouchers for restaurant breakfast, and it's a great breakfast -- Hakata style wagyu beef, truffle omelets, a huge selection of hot and cold items, with lots of tasty and unexpected options. I'm not a breakfast eater, but this is one of my favorite breakfasts anywhere. This isn't a hotel I'd choose if I needed to impress a date, but it often plays in the sub-10k yen league (or 8k points on a busy Saturday), and at that range it's not bad value.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
I just read that you and some others were discussing this in the HR Osaka thread. I wanted to respond here to avoid going off-topic there.

I had a couple stays at HR Fukuoka (plus some at the GH) in November/early December. I have a hard time calling the HR terrible. Yes, the rooms are old, but that's not uncommon in Japan -- I've experienced lack of investment at numerous Hyatts (Osaka, GHF, HRT), Sheratons (Osaka, Yokohama, Miyazaki), ICs (Tokyo Bay), Hiltons (Odawara), Westins (Nagoya -now gone- and Tokyo) and CPs (Kobe, Kumamoto, Nagasaki, Kanazawa) in the last few years. Some of these hotels have started remodeling select floors, and some are now fully remodeled, but in Japan, unless I pay upward of 30k yen, I tend to go in with very low expectations in terms of getting a modern room.

I don't pick HR Fukuoka because of a burning desire to stay there, but only when no realistic alternatives exist (GH and CP sold out or 3-5x more expensive). I've always been given decent sized rooms (39sqm) on the club floor. Everything is old, but clean and functional. The club lounge is not bad. A couple hot items, and some high-quality cold stuff. Decent drinks selection. I'm always given vouchers for restaurant breakfast, and it's a great breakfast -- Hakata style wagyu beef, truffle omelets, a huge selection of hot and cold items, with lots of tasty and unexpected options. I'm not a breakfast eater, but this is one of my favorite breakfasts anywhere. This isn't a hotel I'd choose if I needed to impress a date, but it often plays in the sub-10k yen league (or 8k points on a busy Saturday), and at that range it's not bad value.
It was more a tongue in cheek comment than any true loathing. I respect your comments and am actually curious to go back there and have that Wagyu! Funny, the actual investment is coming when it leaves Hyatt this coming spring.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:50 pm

Sorry. Closing info for HR already posted.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Feb 9, 2019 at 2:52 pm Reason: Old news
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
question: Is Grand Hyatt worth the extra 4k points for award stay? or should I just stay at HR?

I'm not quite interested in shopping, but I'd like to stay in a area where there are restaurants and izakayas, etc
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:05 pm

I just completed an enjoyable week at the Grand Hyatt. I had a tough time making a booking there because my top hotel priority is a good gym, open long hours. So this hotel had s major strike against it. But staff was great and quick to take a hint (I'll make my own coffee, thanks.) The club lounge fare was very good for people who don't eat meat - a rare thing in Japan. (I don't say disparaging things about hotels that don't cater to my chosen, minority-population diet. No one owes me anything, but it is nice.) The location was perfect for what leisure time I had - midway between Hakata and Tenjin..

Yeah, there is a funky smell, but I didn't notice it for very long - a few hours. My room overlooking the river was quiet. Everything I touched, worked. Little things like faucets and shower heads didn't seem weird, balky or low-quality.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:00 pm

just completed a three-night stay at the HR, rooms are fine, but extremely warm during the day since AC is not turned on and is centrally controlled, the only option is to ask housekeeping to open the windows. There is also a lack of basic amenities in the room like bathrobes and irons, etc.

Staying at he grand hyatt tonight and I'll come back to report it
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:47 am

stayed at the grand hyatt, no smell, room pretty big, not sure if I got upgraded.
Would recommend this one over HR for sure
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by xmzzn123
stayed at the grand hyatt, no smell, room pretty big, not sure if I got upgraded.
Would recommend this one over HR for sure
Glad to hear about lack of smell. Which floor was your room on? Will ask for that one when I stay in a few months.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Dia; Langham Voyager; Marriot & SPG Gold; UA Gold; AA Plat
HR Fukuoko closed in May 2019 for renovations, to re-open in winter 2019:

https://www.fukuoka-now.com/en/news/...brand-in-2019/

All Japanese pdf with a few pics:

https://www.hyattregencyfukuoka.co.j...4013_UsfT1.pdf
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any recent stays at the GH? It is still the consensus that using a TSU is a bad idea if you would rather not spend a week sleeping in a tobacco factory?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Any recent stays at the GH? It is still the consensus that using a TSU is a bad idea if you would rather not spend a week sleeping in a tobacco factory?
If the suites were also renovated and smoking banned then they could be okay.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:37 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just completed a pretty decent 6 night stay at the GH. Was offered an upgrade to an inward-facing deluxe room at check-in, but declined. This is the 500sqft-ish junior suite-ish room type that’s been fairly recently remodeled. Ended up in a river-facing room on a high floor. Due to the curvature of the building, some of these are short and wide (better IMO), others long and narrow — that’s what I had this time, and it’s hard to get to the bed without bumping into the office chair at the work desk. Hallway had the usual GH FUK smell, room was mostly fine, except one night a strong smoke smell from an adjacent room seeped in. I had fresh fruit and little snacks delivered to the room daily.

The lounge has perhaps the strongest champagne selection I ever encountered at a hotel. A 4-night rotation of Chandon (Australia), Moët, Nicolas Feuillatte, and Roederer. I don’t think I noticed this on prior stays (although they always had proper champagne on Saturday night), so maybe it was due to the sumo tournament (and the crazy high rates it brought). The happy hour food has always been a little strange, with sandwiches/soup/salads/sushi/unappealing hot items. Certainly doesn’t match the quality of the champagne, but I guess still a pretty strong lounge food offering by Japanese standards. Desserts and fruit are outstanding.

Breakfast at the lounge is pretty weak and quite frankly not worth getting up for. Terrible (usually cold) scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and a quiche, some picked over fruit and cold cuts, and salads/Japanese items. I met up with a FTer who had breakfast included in his rate and invited me to the restaurant one morning; rather shockingly, the weak lounge breakfast is a pretty good representation of the restaurant breakfast.

As was the case in prior stays, nobody at the lounge talked to me or made an effort to refill my glass. I guess they’re more comfortable with Japanese guests. I sort of started wondering whether the handful of western guests present were actually staying at the hotel, or had just figured out that they can just sneak in and polish off the champagne.

Rates where eye watering due to the sumo tournament, but I had made a reservation under old cash and points. Certainly a good deal, 6k points and 8k yen (vs cash rates of 35k yen). No way I’d pay anywhere near that much, and I’m also not sure that the current rate of 15k points is justified except for a handful of high demand dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.