Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, CA ("Newporter") REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Diamond Benefits:
  • No Regency Club; breakfast entrees on the menu at SHOR
  • Last reported as one entree + one beverage per person, up to 4
  • Does not include room service
  • Amenities (choice of one, as of 3/19/2015)
    • 1,000 points
    • ?

In general:
  • Parking
    • Valet: $47/night
    • Self: $40/night
    • Parking rates above do not include Jazz series events
    • Street: none nearby
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, CA ("Newporter") REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 7:46 pm

this is the cheapest place that I can find for one night mattress run nearby Irvine...

I was hoping to park nearby neighborhood street
Old May 15, 2010, 9:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anchor79
this is the cheapest place that I can find for one night mattress run nearby Irvine...

I was hoping to park nearby neighborhood street
I'm surprised you can't find cheaper rates at the Hyatt Irvine. Much nicer and has a lounge, a nicer pool and many of the rates include parking
Old May 15, 2010, 10:27 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
There used to be free street parking on Back Bay Drive behind the hotel. Is this no longer the case?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta SM, Hyatt GP
Stayed at this property for two nights recently. I should have heeded the advice of other posters and stayed away. Nothing about the place made me think of Hyatt, except maybe the bed. Outlets either didn't work or were inaccessible, both wired and wireless Internet didn't work, the shower leaked, the only elevator to the self-park area was a smelly service elevator that was out of code, and the hotel is directly under the John Wayne airport flight path. I won't be back.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by pharmhound
the hotel is directly under the John Wayne airport flight path.
True, but so too is some of most valuable residential property in the US
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Here now on a $45 + tax priceline rate. Presented Diamond card at check-in, FD could have cared less. Given old room in the bay building. No upgrade offered and hotel is definitely not full. I inquired about bkfst & internet and FD was saying it was not covered b/c I am on Priceline stay, so I had him go check with MOD and he came back and confirmed that I would get free bkst & internet.

Parked for FREE behind hotel, on street. Bit of a walk but saves $19/$27 per night.

More details after c/o...
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: SWA CP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Amb.
Thought I'd give my .02 since this is the property I stay at most of the time. While there seems to be a general consensus that there are many downsides to this property, I thought I'd mention how I've been able to maximize my stays here.

1) Diamond breakfast works at the Buzz Stop(coffee shop) or the full service restaurant. Make sure they take the charges off at checkout if you've just eaten because sometimes they will charge your credit card after you've checked out.
2) Smelly rooms. Yes, some of the rooms do smell a little bit and I try to avoid those buildings. Never had a problem with the Catalina Building(minus the elevator and back stairwell), Bay building, or the Villas.
3) Upgrades. I will confirm they do upgrade as I've gotten a villa on multiple occasions. During peak season (summer), however, the hotel is over 85% booked and they are less likely to do so. Upgrades also depend on who is checking you in. Chip at the front desk is extremely helpful and will give me an upgrade without asking. Some of the other front desk staff need a bit more straight talk.
4) Food in the sandbar restaurant is pretty good and reasonably priced. I've been eating here more often and I haven't found anything on the menu that hasn't satisfied. The ice cream is great.
5) Gym is not that great, and is typically full in the morning and empty at night. If I'm going for a run in the morning, I'll run around the back bay rather than the treadmill. It's a tiny gym so it gets full.
6) Double check the front desk staff codes your key for parking - they forget many times. If they don't, no biggie, as you're leaving the parking lot just push the button and tell the operator your room and they'll let you out.
7) They just removed their wired internet connections so it's all wireless now. For a business user, I feel though their wireless is slower, but for casual browsing its fine.

If I can think of anything else I'll add more.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: SWA CP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Amb.
Wanted to send you a note to inform you of a lobby and front desk renovation scheduled at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. The renovation will come in two short phases. Phase one will be of the Lobby and is scheduled to begin November 22nd, 2010 and slated to be completed by January 10th, 2011. Phase two of the Front Desk, is slated for December 13, 2010-January 1, 2011. You will experience very minimal inconvenience, as the work will be conducted Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. The front desk will be temporarily located to a central and well marked location, currently slated for the Palm Room. The entire renovation will not effect your contracted services or Hotel amenities.
They are renovating the lobby to spruce up the bar and add a lounge. They will move the existing sandbar to this area, with a reduced food menu. current sandbar area will become meeting space. should be a move for the better, as the lobby right now is underutilized.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:57 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
64% off a Swedish massage at The Wellness Spa from groupon.com

From the Orange County Groupon

For $40, you get a Swedish massage (a $110 value) at The Wellness Spa, located in the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. The Wellness Spa puts clients and unruly tissues at ease in an intimate spa environment swathed in soothing white colors. Each Swedish massage entails 50 minutes of light- and medium-pressured strokes employing long motions and a yawnslaught of soothing touches. The treatment inspires circulation and detoxification, and imbues the body with a sense of balance and the unmistakable sensation of Scandinavian citizenship.

http://www.groupon.com/orange-county/

The Fine Print
Expires Jul 31, 2011. Limit 1 per person, may buy multiple as gifts. By appointment only; subject to availability. 24-hr. cancellation notice required or fee up to Groupon price may apply. 18% gratuity not included. Additional fee required for service upgrade.

Time Left To Buy: 2 Days & 14 hours
Old May 13, 2011, 1:28 pm

any new reviews on this place?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
I just checked in tonight and they upgraded me to the villas. They are pretty awesome. Very spacious, full kitchen, fireplace, living room and separate bedroom with a queen sized bed? Odd.

The great part - private pool. I think this marks the first hotel I've ever stayed at for business where I had my own totally private pool.

Other than the pool, I admit, the hotel is slightly dated and not that great inside. I'd be curious to see what a regular room is like though - for a 1 night business trip, I'm pretty happy with the result.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by astan100
I just checked in tonight and they upgraded me to the villas. They are pretty awesome. Very spacious, full kitchen, fireplace, living room and separate bedroom with a queen sized bed? Odd.

The great part - private pool. I think this marks the first hotel I've ever stayed at for business where I had my own totally private pool.

Other than the pool, I admit, the hotel is slightly dated and not that great inside. I'd be curious to see what a regular room is like though - for a 1 night business trip, I'm pretty happy with the result.
I've only stayed here once this past June and they upgraded us to a villa... or so they said as they handed us the key with the comment that "the villas were the best rooms in the hotel". But when we got there we quickly learned that we didn't get a villa, we got one upstairs bedroom of a villa. No kitchen, no living room, no fireplace, no private pool, and the room itself was pretty dated and quite crappy. Also, the entire property had a slight smell of sewage.

Despite plans to stay longer, we left after one night and moved over to the Hyatt Irvine which was much nicer. I'll never go back to this place.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Basically Hyatt Newporter is an old non-view hotel. Hyatt Irvine feels new and offers various views.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:47 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
$40 for 30 Days of Unlimited Golf at The Hyatt Regency Newport Beach Back Bay Golf Course ($437 Value) offered by SpreeBird
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:32 am

Stay Away

Just stayed here as a Hyatt Diamond. I am a lurker on these board and the experience was so bad I think this may be my first post ever on FT.

Check in at 11:45 PM on a Sunday night, parking lot is maybe 1/4 full get a spot in front row, liking my chances for a nice upgraded room - last good thought I have about the property.

Walk from parking lot to front desk is through a dinghy 1970's like drive in motel. They could film a good retro horror movie here. Pool on one side and doors to rooms facing the pool. Pretty run down, needs a lot of work.

Three sets of stairs between parking and front desk, no ramps - dont even think of staying here if you need wheelchair access.

Get checked-in. Go to room. It has two single beds. A ripped chair and a stain on the floor, plus a lovely view of the employee parking area. Call front desk and am told I reserved this room (lie #1 - I cant even find it in room choices for reservation if I wanted it). I explain I am Diamond and have a confirmed reservation for a King. Am told they have no kings available and they might be able to move me the next day.

I indicate I will be right back to check out and will locate other accommodations. Oh wait, we do have a king (lie #2 in about 2 minutes). So much for Diamond amenities - confirmed room type and best room available at check in totally ignored, but heck I am used to that.

The king room i am checked into smells musty and mildewy. But I am better off than other pissed off person in lobby who has a water leak over the bed.

I shrug it off. And go to bed - it is now 12:15 AM and I am on EST. At 12:30 AM the phone rings and wakes me up. Front desk wanting to know if I am happy with room. I say no the room is not satisfactory, dont ever call a guest at this hour and hang up.

Next morning I speak with the front desk manager who never once apologizes or expresses any concern. I tell him thanks for nothing and leave. I then let my assistant know I dont want to stay in this hotel again (bought a business in area and will spend 150-200 nights in Orange County hotels this year). I dont complain, I just ask her not to book me in that hotel again.

She takes it on herself to call hotel and see what is the matter, she comes back and says what did I do as the front desk manager has said I was very memorable. I spoke with him in a calm professional manner and now he is exaggerating my valid complaints to my own staff.

Long saga of horrible customer experience I will edit out as they can fix that if hey try, but I end up getting a fruit plate as the means of apology just placed in room, no note - no nothing. I dont eat fruit - ask me what I might like dont just give me some random cliche. I placed it on floor next to door and it sat there and decayed for next 3 days. Lovely.

Other tidbits:

Wireless internet is spotty at best. I was able to actually connect about 75% of time, usually after 2-3 minutes and several attempts.

Elevators are vintage, slow and a little funny smelling, just avoid them.

Workout room is small, crowded and loud. Poorly maintained machines that creak and make lots of noise. Oh yeah and dark. One morning I was first in and could not find light - 3 others were working out in dark with me when I left... kind of funny. Fortunately lights were on other mornings I went in.

Light in bathroom when on activates the fan which sounds a little bit like a small foghorn. Walls between rooms are pretty thin and thus when the people next door leave the bathroom light on overnight you have an annoying buzz/hum that makes it hard to sleep.

I was charged $29.85 for exactly $35 in bar bills. No idea why the 1/7 discount.

In general the hotel is in need of a massive makeover. Lots of dents, dings, worn out carpet, etc. Was probably a jewel in 1970, but I am 50/50 on suggesting they sell it to Holiday Inn or tearing it totally down and starting all over. This is just not what you would expect from a Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.