FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/133597-park-hyatt-beaver-creek-colorado-review-master-thread.html)

Dsnow0819 Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001 (Post 32755832)
The Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch beats the Park Hyatt in every category. The PH originally opened as a Hyatt. They put in some new carpeting, raised the rates and called it a Park Hyatt.

This is 100% correct and I say that as someone who really likes the PH; Bachelor Gulch is a different level of luxury. We usually stay at the PH and alway enjoy it, but always go over to the Ritz for dinner and drinks.

The PH is a nice hotel and we really enjoy it, but one should have a proper level of expectations before staying. The staff is great, the lobby renovation is beautiful and the location is perfect. The rooms are nicely appointed but probably don't live up to PH standards especially outside of NA.

spgplat21 Oct 19, 2020 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 32757325)
Wondering what the negative aspects of PH Beaver Creek would be?

We booked PH because of the Globalist Complimentary Parking and Breakfast along with the likely Suite Upgrade. For our dates the Ritz is a little over 1.5x the price compared to PH. I had the belief that Park Hyatt’s were the most luxurious brand offered by Hyatt, which was another factor in booking with them for a family getaway.

Others may disagree, but do not plan on any sort of true suite upgrade here during ski season so I would remove that from your consideration. If you need the space, book two rooms and ask for connecting rooms. The rooms are pretty small as well, so one room for a family is pretty tight. They typically don't open up points bookings for the premium suites during ski season, and getting one as a complimentary upgrade is unlikely.

This hotel was not built as a Park Hyatt and is definitely the least nice Park Hyatt I've ever stayed from a room standpoint. The location and points value are tough to beat so it's certainly not all bad, but just understand that from a hotel quality perspective it is basically a Westin/Hyatt Regency with nicer sheets/toiletries and probably not even as nice as many of the newer-build Hyatt Regency/Westin resorts.

I stay at the PH over the Ritz because of its proximity to ski school and the village, but the Ritz is a nicer and more luxurious property and once my kids are older and not in ski school, we will probably shift to staying there instead.

seacarl Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 32757859)
Others may disagree, but do not plan on any sort of true suite upgrade here during ski season so I would remove that from your consideration. If you need the space, book two rooms and ask for connecting rooms. The rooms are pretty small as well, so one room for a family is pretty tight. They typically don't open up points bookings for the premium suites during ski season, and getting one as a complimentary upgrade is unlikely.

This hotel was not built as a Park Hyatt and is definitely the least nice Park Hyatt I've ever stayed from a room standpoint. The location and points value are tough to beat so it's certainly not all bad, but just understand that from a hotel quality perspective it is basically a Westin/Hyatt Regency with nicer sheets/toiletries and probably not even as nice as many of the newer-build Hyatt Regency/Westin resorts.

I stay at the PH over the Ritz because of its proximity to ski school and the village, but the Ritz is a nicer and more luxurious property and once my kids are older and not in ski school, we will probably shift to staying there instead.

Agree with what you have written.
The property doesn't have many suites, so suite upgrades are unlikely to impossible.
It's a fairly informal feeling property. Staff wearing sweaters or parkas. Think Western rustic. But appropriate to a ski area. Nice enough but not luxurious. Last time I was there, pre-Covid, breakfast was great.

For me, proximity to ski school, main lifts, and village stores and restaurants is the determining differentiator.

Matt4200 Oct 19, 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 32757859)

As far as the upgrade we applied a TSU and were upgraded to the Park Fireside Suite. Additionally it’s Globalist/Anniversary/Hyatt Prive’ stay as well so we’re hoping 1 of those 3 would help bump it up a little to something better if it’s available, if it’s not that’s why we used the TSU then. :) Though I’ve heard the GM at PH BC moved there from Tamaya in New Mexico and has been very good to Globalist also very communicative. That’s just what I’ve heard.

We’re staying before Ski Season so it’s unlikely to be busy during our stay.

We know next to nothing about skiing or Beaver Creek. The property looked like it’d be perfect for a getaway and secluded. That’s essentially why we chose it.

seacarl Oct 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 32758333)
As far as the upgrade we applied a TSU and were upgraded to the Park Fireside Suite. Additionally it’s Globalist/Anniversary/Hyatt Prive’ stay as well so we’re hoping 1 of those 3 would help bump it up a little to something better if it’s available, if it’s not that’s why we used the TSU then. :) Though I’ve heard the GM at PH BC moved there from Tamaya in New Mexico and has been very good to Globalist also very communicative. That’s just what I’ve heard.

We’re staying before Ski Season so it’s unlikely to be busy during our stay.

We know next to nothing about skiing or Beaver Creek. The property looked like it’d be perfect for a getaway and secluded. That’s essentially why we chose it.

It makes sense that suite upgrades could be available outside the ski season. I wouldn't call it secluded. Beaver Creek Village is fairly built up with lots of condo and hotel buildings and retail and hardscape. I don't know how much stays open in the off season.

This link should take you to an aerial shot showing the village: https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=e8784...=2&form=S00027
And Tripadvisor has some photos too: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Colorado.html

Matt4200 Oct 19, 2020 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 32758408)
It makes sense that suite upgrades could be available outside the ski season. I wouldn't call it secluded. Beaver Creek Village is fairly built up with lots of condo and hotel buildings and retail and hardscape. I don't know how much stays open in the off season.

This link should take you to an aerial shot showing the village: https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=e8784...=2&form=S00027
And Tripadvisor has some photos too: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Colorado.html

I guess I meant secluded from Big City Life, similar to staying in Park City, UT. I noticed a lot of people say it looks like you’re in a different country in Europe being in Beaver Creek.

The pictures look really great we are hoping for some fun things to do outside of ski season.

Any ideas on family activities?

I’ve heard on request they’ll set up like a tent with special lights in the room for kids? You have to request “glamping” I believe. Other than that not too many ideas we were going to just see when we got there.

seacarl Oct 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 32758427)
I guess I meant secluded from Big City Life, similar to staying in Park City, UT. I noticed a lot of people say it looks like you’re in a different country in Europe being in Beaver Creek.

The pictures look really great we are hoping for some fun things to do outside of ski season.

Any ideas on family activities?

I’ve heard on request they’ll set up like a tent with special lights in the room for kids? You have to request “glamping” I believe. Other than that not too many ideas we were going to just see when we got there.

The core of Beaver Creek Village is car-less, somewhat like Whistler, so it is a walking, pedestrian experience. Beaver Creek's village is smaller than Park City, and definitely more centrally planned. Not sure if it feels authentic European, but that is certainly what they were going for. I do not know what activities are available off season, but I would imagine that you can contact the PH concierge for ideas, and you may also find things at the official website https://www.beavercreek.com/explore-...ek-events.aspx https://www.beavercreek.com/explore-...ctivities.aspx https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html

TerryK Oct 20, 2020 11:21 am

72 hour 50% off flash sale with SKI20 offer code. Stay 11/25/2020 to 4/4/2021 full deposit required but refundable with 24 hour cancellation before arrival. Rates start at $350 for most dates.:) Great rates if you don't mind prepaying now.

TravelingAssociate Nov 1, 2020 3:59 pm

Anyone been to this property recently? Have another stay booked in early January and trying to get a realistic sense of what the likely enjoyment/safety level will be at the time. I'm not hopeful but open to hearing any views.

Matt4200 Nov 1, 2020 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingAssociate (Post 32788354)
Anyone been to this property recently? Have another stay booked in early January and trying to get a realistic sense of what the likely enjoyment/safety level will be at the time. I'm not hopeful but open to hearing any views.

+1 on this.

I’ve been reading up on recent reviews it sounds like the restaurant has lost its quality and the Restaurant staff are becoming lazy. (Again based on reading reviews from several travel sites and restaurant review sites).

Upgrades are hit or miss even with availability.

They are renovating, but it’s still the lowest quality Park Hyatt anyone has been to (based on reviews), the only positive is the location.

I’d be happy to hear recent reviews though as I kind of had high hopes for an upcoming stay here until reading those things.

Tonyr4 Nov 1, 2020 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 32788391)
+1 on this.

I’ve been reading up on recent reviews it sounds like the restaurant has lost its quality and the Restaurant staff are becoming lazy. (Again based on reading reviews from several travel sites and restaurant review sites).

Upgrades are hit or miss even with availability.

They are renovating, but it’s still the lowest quality Park Hyatt anyone has been to (based on reviews), the only positive is the location.

I’d be happy to hear recent reviews though as I kind of had high hopes for an upcoming stay here until reading those things.

We stayed at the Park Hyatt last year during President's week and we're going back again this year over Christmas. I was able to use TSU for a Fireside Suite this year but it would not have been a deal-breaker if I didn't get the upgrade. Yes this hotel is primarily about location but with that being said the lobby and bar area is fully renovated and was very nicely done, it looks 5 star when you walk in. I thought the food at 8100 Mountainside bar and grill was pretty good too and the staff was great in the ski valet seeing how busy the hotel was. We had a problem with a baby crying in the middle of the night next to us and were immediately moved the following morning to a different room. The manager called a day later to make sure everything was ok, again this was during one of the busiest weeks of the year for the hotel but it is what you would expect service wise from a 5 star property.

The rooms are nice although they certainly aren't going to blow you away. Getting back to what I said earlier, this hotel is primarily about location. I've stayed at a number of top notch ski on/ski off resorts in the US and I can't think of a hotel with a better location. One exit leads directly to a lift, another exit leads directly to the heart of the village. You can ski right to the hotel entrance then literally clip your skis off, hand them to the ski valet, then take a 15 second walk over to the lobby bar for drinks and food after a long day of skiing. It's pretty awesome!

We went over to the Ritz-Carlton two days for lunch, that hotel is very nice as well. The rooms do look nicer there but I did think that the lobby area could be touched up a little bit at this point. I certainly liked the lobby at the Park Hyatt better than the Ritz-Carlton but that could just be my personal preference. There is no comparison between these two hotels though when you factor in location. Not only do you need to take a shuttle from the Ritz to the village at night for shopping and restaurants but the best terrain on the mountain is over on the Park Hyatt side. At the Ritz you'll need to take a couple of lifts just to get over there. Location alone will keep me staying at the Park Hyatt but again the hotel is still very nice. A freshen up of the rooms and hallways would make it perfect. In any event, you are going to have a wonderful time!

SkyTeam777 Nov 1, 2020 5:33 pm

Have a reservation in January (booked at full rate earlier this year) and considering canceling it after their 50% off room sale. It sounds like amenities and services are scaled back. Also wondering if Beaver Creek restaurants will also be on service and menu. Not looking forward to forking over big bucks for BC experiences if it will only be 50% (even more so if the hotel will use Covid as an excuse to not provide housekeeping or decent breakfast for Globalists).

Tonyr4 Nov 1, 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 32788520)
Have a reservation in January (booked at full rate earlier this year) and considering canceling it after their 50% off room sale. It sounds like amenities and services are scaled back. Also wondering if Beaver Creek restaurants will also be on service and menu. Not looking forward to forking over big bucks for BC experiences if it will only be 50% (even more so if the hotel will use Covid as an excuse to not provide housekeeping or decent breakfast for Globalists).

All very good questions I'm not sure how it's all going to play out either with services and restaurants. We have gotten a little system down during these non-daily housekeeping times and I can almost guarantee from recent Hyatt experiences that room service will be available at a minimum. Im going to try and keep my expectations low with the hopes of being pleasantly surprised.

Matt4200 Nov 1, 2020 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Tonyr4 (Post 32788509)
We stayed at the Park Hyatt last year during President's week and we're going back again this year over Christmas. I was able to use TSU for a Fireside Suite this year but it would not have been a deal-breaker if I didn't get the upgrade. Yes this hotel is primarily about location but with that being said the lobby and bar area is fully renovated and was very nicely done, it looks 5 star when you walk in. I thought the food at 8100 Mountainside bar and grill was pretty good too and the staff was great in the ski valet seeing how busy the hotel was. We had a problem with a baby crying in the middle of the night next to us and were immediately moved the following morning to a different room. The manager called a day later to make sure everything was ok, again this was during one of the busiest weeks of the year for the hotel but it is what you would expect service wise from a 5 star property.

The rooms are nice although they certainly aren't going to blow you away. Getting back to what I said earlier, this hotel is primarily about location. I've stayed at a number of top notch ski on/ski off resorts in the US and I can't think of a hotel with a better location. One exit leads directly to a lift, another exit leads directly to the heart of the village. You can ski right to the hotel entrance then literally clip your skis off, hand them to the ski valet, then take a 15 second walk over to the lobby bar for drinks and food after a long day of skiing. It's pretty awesome!

We went over to the Ritz-Carlton two days for lunch, that hotel is very nice as well. The rooms do look nicer there but I did think that the lobby area could be touched up a little bit at this point. I certainly liked the lobby at the Park Hyatt better than the Ritz-Carlton but that could just be my personal preference. There is no comparison between these two hotels though when you factor in location. Not only do you need to take a shuttle from the Ritz to the village at night for shopping and restaurants but the best terrain on the mountain is over on the Park Hyatt side. At the Ritz you'll need to take a couple of lifts just to get over there. Location alone will keep me staying at the Park Hyatt but again the hotel is still very nice. A freshen up of the rooms and hallways would make it perfect. In any event, you are going to have a wonderful time!

Would you recommend PH Beaver Creek for a family that doesn’t ski or snowboard at all?

We liked the idea of the property because it’s a Park Hyatt that’s in the US that’s secluded and in off season (before 11/20) the rates are reasonable.

Other than that they have an Exhale Spa on property, we are hoping the pool area is nice (many have commented that it is quite enjoyable). As far as breakfast it’s been greatly scaled down (from what I’ve read) and 8100 Restaurant from looking at the updated menu looks severely scaled back as well too unfortunately.

Matt4200 Nov 1, 2020 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 32788520)

We have a multi-night stay coming up in a week or so I’ll make sure to post back. We did use a TSU for the guaranteed Suite Upgrade as it’s a special stay for us and the rooms I’ve heard are on the smaller end.

So far for dining we are planning on:

Gondola Pizza
Flame Steakhouse (Vail)

If anyone has any good ideas we’re open to suggestions :) Originally we planned on eating at 8100 Restaurant because it’s on property and the quality is supposed to be great, but the menu has been greatly reduced with Covid none of the current options look good to us.